Streum On Studio Explain E.Y.E.

By Jim Rossignol on July 28th, 2011 at 10:50 am.

The release of sinister Source-powered FPS/RPG hybrid E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy is apparently “imminent” and so we spoke to StremOnStudio’s Christophe Longuepee about his small team and enormous ambition for the game. Ten developers and a cyberpunk assassination game with ambitions in the region of Deus Ex with ninja-physics? Tell us more…

RPS: Can you tell us a little bit about Streum On Studio? Who are you guys and what are you aiming to achieve?

Longuepee: Streum On Studio is an indie team of about 10 people. The majority of us has been working on games and mods since 1999. The strange word Streum is a sort of tongue-in-cheek word from our lands, meaning monsters in the dialect of the streets and ghettos.

RPS: Okay! What sort of game is E.Y.E.? What kind of experiences are you hoping to offer players?

Longuepee: E.Y.E is a FPS/RPG game, rather old school, and banking on a fast-paced combat gameplay. The player dives in a very dark Cyberpunk world (we’re not talking about the lack of lights in the maps, as said in some comments, it looks like a French specialty, sort of like cooking, cute girls, or bad moods) where he embodies an assassin, torn apart between his sense of duty and his friendship with his mentor. We wanted to put an emphasis on the player’s skills rather than his avatar’s characteristics.

The RPG part is very present in the dialogues and the choices that player’s character will make, that will influence the events and the scenario of the game. Another priority for us was to offer the player an immersion and a freedom of choice as powerful and complete as possible.

RPS: Can you explain a bit about how solo and co-op play will work in E.Y.E?

Longuepee: The solo is composed of two distinct parts that interconnect as the player wishes: A Solo campaign where the player follows a non-frozen scenario. And secondary missions with random objectives but forming a coherent whole.

The cooperative contains the solo campaign playable up to 4 players (more if the players wish, but we do not warrant optimal gameplay), and special missions a lot like the secondary missions in solo, here again playable up to 4 players (same comment as before). In solo or in coop, the player creates a character (he can use it in both modes) and his progress and character are automatically saved.

RPS: How does character creation work? Do you develop the character in an RPG-style as you progress?

Longuepee: The player creates his character by choosing a combination of three genes between nine that will have an influence on his starting characteristics.

Later, during play, the player will earn experience points he’ll be able to distribute in characteristic points of his avatar. We also included an option for players who aren’t very interested in RPGs where the character’s progress is automatically done according to the actions the player does.

RPS: What sort of specialisations and abilities can we expect to see from the different character types? Can you also explain what sort of skills and inventory system you have?

Longuepee: The player has great freedom concerning his character’s evolution: there aren’t real classes. But if we had to describe the main possible ways:

- The infiltration-oriented character, playing with agility, speed and stealth.
- The warrior character, fighting essentially in close combat.
- The marksman character, specializing in firearms.
- The PSI-specialist character, who manipulates his psychic energy to control or destroy his enemies.
- The hacker character, shielded by his drone slaves and taking control of machines and NPCs’cyber-brains, but who can also destroy or infiltrate by using viruses.

And of course the player will be able to blend these ways as he wishes.

The character is represented by 8 characteristics:

Strength: Defines the weight of the equipment he can carry and the power of his hits.
Agility: Defines his speed and stealth.
Endurance: Defines physical resistances and stamina.
Accuracy: Defines his bonus to damage from long-range shots, and the weapons he can use.
PSI Force: Defines his psychic power and resistance to spells
Hacking: Defines his skills in computer hacking and his level in implants knowledge.
Mental balance: Defines his psychology and his resistance to terror.
Medicine: Defines his efficiency to heal others and himself.

The inventory works on a base of cases and corporal zones, exactly like the old X-COM titles. Every weapon and item occupies a certain amount of cases. The player will have to pay attention to the available space in his inventory. And every item has a weight that will slow the player down.

RPS: How does stealth work in E.Y.E.?

Longuepee: The enemy NPCs patrol and walk freely in the maps. The player must then avoid to be seen or heard, or reinforcements will be sent. This also occurs when the enemy triggers an alarm.

The player can use psychic powers and/or cybernetic implants to enhance his stealth. For example increasing the cybernetic legs will decrease the footsteps volume, or the cloaking field will make the player invisible (however enemies can still see the waves and silhouette of the player if he is too close). The player can also generate an hologram to confuse and lure his enemies elsewhere.

RPS: What plans do you have for the release of the game? How far into development are you?

Longuepee: The development is over. We’re thinking about an imminent release.

RPS: Why did you choose to work with Source engine? Has that had any advantages or disadvantages for your team?

Longuepee: We chose the Source Engine for its polyvalence, and because it runs on a large range of computers, even low-range ones. And we knew its architecture and tools very well. One of the drawbacks on this engine was to create huge maps while keeping a certain amount of detail. As some of our videos and screenshots show, we didn’t always succeed.

RPS: What aspect of E.Y.E. do you think RPS readers should be most excited about?

Longuepee: The fast-paced combat and the mix between firearms and melee weapons. And I think the freedom of play will please them.

RPS: Thanks for your time.

We’re currently playing E.Y.E. and should have some impressions soon. The game’s release is “imminent” via Steam.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. magnus says:

Christophe Longuepee – that a double entendre right there!

2. KauhuK says:

If the price is right then I could see myself buying this. I haven’t got much idea what to expect even after seeing the trailers.

3. Kirioth says:

Have to say, despite the… interesting… name, this looks like it has some serious potential. Could well be worth a shot.

• Snargelfargen says:

Someone in the last article about E.Y.E. compared it to Requiem: Avenging Angel and if it is anything like that (very fast-paced old school fps, but with fun abilities to mess with opponents), it’ll be fantastic. A lot of newer fps’ have terrible pacing, as conversations, cover systems and sneak mechanics all conspire to slow you down.
      Edit: Forgot to mention QTE’s, and the inevitable hacking/lockpicking. This stuff can be fun, but sometimes you just want to get on with it!

4. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Hopefully the stealth segments are implemented better than Oblivion’s

5. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

What is Isaac doing there?

6. Stevostin says:

Excited. I hope they’ll remove the annoying oddly written messags (“my super reflexes saved me”) or replace them with something that doesn’t break the mood too much. Or that they improve the humor – either way.

Beside that, I MIGHT be thinking buying this full price at release, if it delivers. I am raly rarely thinking this way – even for Fallout New Vegas, which I really wanted.

Do we know how long is the solo campaign ?

7. Tycow says:

This looks good… might tide me over til DX:HR appears.

Argh! How imminent is imminent? Also, a price would be nice. :D

8. Jumwa says:

I dismissed the game first, but now I find myself far more interested. A RPG/FPS hybrid that lets you customize your character and has co-op? Well hot damn, sounds like my kind of game.

I’ll wait on RPS’ impressions, and a price point, but my interest is officially piqued.

• JB says:

Yep, I’m feeling much the same way at this stage. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

• KillerB says:

I concur! Having a whale of a time with FO3:NV new DLC so looking forward to another FPS/RPG that i can enjoy. Dont let me down EYE!

• Jumwa says:

Same on the New Vegas DLC! I’m working my way slowly through Old World Blues right now, and can happily say I feel it’s the best spent money I’ve ever put towards DLC.

And their mention of co-op immediately elevates my excitement levels. Even if the game is rather mediocre, being able to play cooperatively with my partner will elevate the title a few notches in my eyes.

• Dreamhacker says:

It is an interesting idea. I just wish they would have used a real engine instead of the Source engine.

9. CMaster says:

That interview and their site makes me think that playing in English will be something of a wrestling with translation experience, which would be a silly thing to let the game down on.

10. Brutal Deluxe says:

I’d love to play a really good cyberpunk game, but something tells me this won’t be it.

11. Robin says:

I very interested.
    *fingers crossed*

12. SnakeNuts says:

Is it actually anywhere on Steam yet? Don’t know if it’s my inability to search, their awkward name or it just not being there yet that keeps me from putting it on my wishlist.

• MacDegger says:

Or maybe it’s their “imminent” release?

Say, SnakeNuts, you wouldn’t happen to know anything about Sweelies, would you?

13. Orija says:

Hmm… the concept art looks very Blame!-ish.

14. RagingLion says:

Well I was getting bored as soon as RPG characteristics started to get mentioned but “We also included an option for players who aren’t very interested in RPGs where the character’s progress is automatically done according to the actions the player does” is heartening at least. Not sure that I’ll play this though. Well done on the guys for getting their game finished though.

15. thepaleking says:

I’ll buy it, because it’s cyberpunk; the world needs more cyberpunk games.

16. ddzev says:

Cyberpunk FPS/RPG/COOP game, what else ?

17. Alexander Norris says:

I really hope they’ve gotten a proper translator for the game. :(

18. frenz0rz says:

My first thought upon seeing the title picture – they’re bringing back Hellgate: London?!

19. babymoses says:

Can’t you drop the RPS: GUY: stuff and simply go with bold and regular font types? I don’t think you have to spell out who’s talking on every line.

• Shadowcat says:

In fairness, it’s useful for anyone copying and pasting and hence losing the styles. It’s also useful when interviewing multiple people, to identify who said what (less so when it’s just one person as here, but having a standard layout isn’t such a bad thing).

20. gallardo1 says:

grunge stains makes all artworks look good and they should add a persistent grunge filter on screen too.

21. skyturnedred says:

I will love this game despite its inevitable flaws.

22. manveruppd says:

Sounds like it could be a cyberpunky Dark Messiah of Might and Magic!

23. ZIGS says:

I want this

24. BathroomCitizen says:

I’ll buy it without waiting for any reviews!

Just its setting entices me to do so.

25. mejoff says:

Game looks ok, developer comes across as a sexist prick.

• Belhoriann says:

It was meant to be funny, not sexist.

@Killmachine : The game is not yet on Steam. Be patient ;)

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Intent is not trumps.

• killmachine says:

@belhoriann, thanks. thought its already there since the release is “immenent”. :)
      btw. is there a deathmatch mode, too, or just coop?

• mejoff says:

Till is right, I don’t care what he was aiming for, he came across as a sexist prick. His attempts at being funny were very much based on absolute assumption of the composition of his audience. Also, his assumption of male player was problematic, most people talking about product/user interaction these days will use neutral or alternating pronouns, unless the product is only intended for use by one gender, eg tampons, or computer games made by sexist pricks.

• phlebas says:

You’ve seen the quality of English throughout the interview and still think his choice of pronouns is deliberate enough to be considered problematic? Goodness.

• mejoff says:

Ok, I’ll take your point on the translation issue. His jokes were still the jokes of a sexist prick.

• Vinraith says:

I’m not going to defend the jokes, but I find it troubling that anyone could be labelled “sexist” as a result of using gender-specific pronouns in a language with no suitable gender neutral pronoun.

• Thants says:

Wait, what sexist jokes?

• Tetragrammaton says:

“appreciate girls with little virtue and coke.” – this is not a sexist joke.

• Gnoupi says:

Honestly, from a French point of view, I see what the guy means and what he is trying to pass as funny.

It may not translate well, so it may sound silly when he says such things, but I can assure there is nothing offensive.

“girls with/of little virtue” is a direct translation of an “”"elegant”"” way to name prostitutes in French. He was just playing on the usual “rock star” cliché.

26. killmachine says:

can someone point me to the game in steam? *shame* i wasnt able to find it…

27. ffordesoon says:

I want to get this game just based on this fellow’s utterly delightful way of phrasing things.

“The strange word Streum is a sort of tongue-in-cheek word from our lands, meaning monsters in the dialect of the streets and ghettos.

Right now our wish is to a release a Mutta’ fuckin’ good game that will please players. Later we’d like it to create enough benefits for us to start a new project. Or that Bethesda or Valve buys our company, for us to appreciate girls with little virtue and coke.”

“as said in some comments, it looks like a French specialty, sort of like cooking, cute girls, or bad moods”

Like I said, delightful!

EDIT: And I just saw this on their official site:

“MORE SCREENS! MORE MUSICS! MORE INFORMATIONS! MORE SEX!”

If you guys have translated this game yourselves, just take my money now.

28. Streumon says:

Our crappy level in English language is wished, it’s to get an USSR/Eastern Europe style because at the moment they do the best FPS .
    More seriously, all the dialogs and ingame texts have been done by an American professional translator, because our own translations were really bad before.

EDIT:
    About the case of sexism, you have to know it was just a joke (concerning drugs and girls with little virtue, it was to underline the dissolute life a sudden fortune can bring up). Also, we were just saying that in France, we like the cooking, the pretty girls and the bad mood.
    To like pretty girls isn’t sexist neither misogynous as long as there is some respect for womankind, and that’s the case for us. We are sorry if our comments have been misunderstood.

• Tycow says:

Storm in a teacup. I’d ignore it.

Onto important things… can you give us a more concrete release date than “imminently?” :D

• Ryz says:

As a card carrying member of womankind, I didn’t take offense to the jokes. I read them as a bit of silly tongue-in-cheek banter that didn’t translate very well into a text based interview. Probably not the best idea when language barriers already make things a bit problematic, though.

I assumed the gender pronouns were due to translation issues as well. Gender pronouns tend to be one of those things that get a bit mangled between languages after all. While it was slightly annoying to read through, it’s hardly something that would color my perception of the devs outside of concern for the game’s english translation.

• Altnabla says:

Although a few bad translations were left in the game because the devs found it funny (suprahuman… etc), I know for a fact that the storyline dialogs have been reworked on by a professional, so it shouldn’t harm the game much.

• TariqOne says:

More to the point: can the player create a female avatar/character? Or have you gone down the bewildering Brink road?

• nmute says:

anyone who likes the bad mood is ok in my books.

• Dominic White says:

@TariqOne – It’s hardly bewildering. Having female play characters literally doubles the art and voice-acting workload on that front. Universally, if it’s a multiplayer game like Brink.

• TariqOne says:

@Dominic: Oh enough of that tiresome, phony argument already. If it’s really such a bother, you take one of the archetypes/body types, and make it a woman. No more work required AT ALL. How absurd that you people keep throwing that junk around.

The fact is, they didn’t want to. So they didn’t.

Anyway I don’t want to threadjack here, I’m genuinely curious as I would very much like to co-op this with my fiancee.

• Dominic White says:

Okay, model a male character with 50 sets of possible clothes.

Now make it female! See! No work involved at all… no, wait, you’re insane and it’s days/weeks of effort!

29. FunkyBadger3 says:

Equillibrium: The Shoota

Sounds… tempting…

30. Ultra Superior says:

I will buy this game, I have WATCHED IT since its announcement – I just LOVE their ambition.

- religious cyberpunk (I love Warhammer 40K )
    - hacking, stealth, katanas, conspiracy and cyberpunk (I love Deus Ex)

People who make games with these ambitions simply must be supported.

31. Iskariot says:

I want this.
    This might be the first game I buy online.

Comment on this story