The Second Bit Of Metro: Last Light Footage

By John Walker on July 28th, 2011 at 2:35 pm.

Nazis? No, we're not Nazis! We're Russian!

Part two of THQ’s three-part E3 demo of Metro Last Light is with us. If you missed part one, that’s over there. And if you so please, you can read my reaction to the entire presentation from the olden days of June, right there. Below you can see the latest video.

Again, it’s worth stressing that this isn’t exactly how the game will appear. It’s an edited level to show off the game’s finest features, which isn’t representative of how quietly you’ll be playing in the dark most of the time. But that’s not to say these moments aren’t typical of what will feature during the game.

This is an exceptionally short glimpse, cutting off just before what is probably the best part of the demo. But it shows off some significant features, such as just how bloody beautiful the game looks, and how capable it is of featuring crowds. It almost demonstrates quite how unsubtle the Nazi-like imagery is going to be.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. fuggles says:

Cripes, I hope the appaling frame rate is owing to the video recording software, or else I am going to need a much better PC than the devs seem to have. Stlil not sure about the plot of this one in regards to the first game, but I’ll keep eyes on this.

2. GT3000 says:

Effective infiltration.

3. Orija says:

Metro 2033 was one of the best games I have played especially when it came to atmosphere, presentation and story. And just like Deus Ex and Half Life, this is what linear shooters should be like, rather than the chaff that is flooding the market right now.
    Absolutely looking forward to this one.

• McDan says:

Exactly, you’re right there, looking forward to this game so much. Can’t get enough of 2033 as it is.

• Navagon says:

Metro 2033 got so much right that has been going wrong for years with linear FPS. It did also make some mistakes that had been around for years too. But the good stuff utterly dwarfs the bad.

That said, will this sequel fix those problems and deliver something much more playable than yer typical FPS offering? The video certainly doesn’t leave me optimistic that it’s moving in the right direction right now.

• PoulWrist says:

Too bad the gameplay was so mediocre. Kill a guy with knife, everyone knows you’re there, no matter how stealthy you tried to be. God I hated that. Made me put down the game and never return. They promised all these things about how sound would expand throughout the place and this and that and here and there. And what happens? You knife a guy and everyone knows your pinpoint location. Good on them.
      At least their graphics were mindblowingly awesome and impossible to run on current hardware decently. I greatly applaud them for that, so few companies do stuff like that anymore. Even Crytek wussed out and were all “oh yea.. we’ll uh, get you some DX11 stuff sometime in the future for our last gen game Crysis 2″…

• Ruffian says:

@ Navagon, one can only hope man. I loooooved the first metro despite it’s shortcomings. Playing through 2033 was the first time in a long time (probably since ffvii) that I’ve just sat with a friend and taken turns playing through a single player game. I found it to be a very immerse experience with a different sort of post-apocalyptic setting. Hopefully they can match that sort of somber specifically Russiany atmosphere, without going overboard and making the game too depressing. Also, yeah, i really hope they fine tune the controls a little more on this one.

4. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Looks like the realism of NPC Sprinting has finally been mastered judging by that video

5. CaspianRoach says:

Dude who speaks in russian tells a bunch of idealistic garbage (their mission is almost over, they’ll show their power, etc etc), after that he speaks about some new bunker that they’ve found, full of medicaments, food, weapons and all that good stuff. Then he’s interrupted by a guy who tells him they’ve spotted two infiltrators.

When they start running, Sturmbannführer (the guy on the pedestal) orders his people to cease and not to open fire and take intruders alive.

6. squirrel says:

I haven’t read the novel, and maybe that’s why I still dont get it. Where the Nazis come from? Nazis should be exclusively for Germanic people, and Russians are Slavs, natural born enemies of Nazis.

• CaspianRoach says:

It’s more of a “nationalists” than “nazis”. Their jackets have “Russia for russians” written on them. We do have these kind of people here, they hate and abuse non-whites, such as asians, middle-easterns and caucasians (not the english meaning of caucasian race, but the people who live in Caucasus).

• JFS says:

Tell that to the heaps of American, French, Polish, Russian and other “foreign” Nazis. Somehow not being German doesn’t really stop them. Also, it’s not really a trait or or perk – I guess there isn’t much exclusivity in it ;)

• Joshua says:

(posting fail)

• Kollega says:

As a fellow Russian, i can safely say that it feels truly facepalm-worthy that the portrayal of the Russian Nazis in this trailer is actually not at all far from the truth.
      On an entirely unrelated note: is it just me, or they should run MUCH FASTER after revealing themselves? The way they “run”, it seems more like a leisurely stroll through a park (a park full of gun-toting Nazis, that is). And what’s up with the train noises? I thought trains didn’t actually run after the catastrophe that destroyed the world.

• CaspianRoach says:

@Kollega

That must be a detached train horn, the trains are still there, someone could just unscrew it and use it as an alarm device or something. Some horns need 12V to work, some can work without electricity at all.

• Donjonson says:

Nazi: National Socialist German Workers’ Party was unique to Germany alright but other groups who use the term attach their own definitions to it.

• Tubby McChubbles says:

In the novel and the russian voice for the game, they are just called fascists (although they are obviously very nazi-based), wheras the english dubbing changes it to Nazis, because nobody seems to be able to grasp the difference.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Deary me.
      I’ll type slowly. The Nazis were fascists. Fascists can come from anywhere. Some Fascists, presumably unaware of the etymology of the word (they’re seldom bright), call themselves Nazis. Some try and distance themselves from the term. It’s an ideology not a national description.
      Carry on.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Also, the term ‘nazi’ comes from the party Hitler was part of: the national socialist labour party.

• Kollega says:

@Tubby McChubbles: To be perfectly honest, when your guys call themselves “the Reich”, use the title of “Sturmbandführer”, eagles, and flags in black-red-white, they’re really closer to the Nazis than the more broad definition of “fascists”. Fascists are, to use a huge generalization, just militaristic guys who believe that the people should serve the good of the state, while Nazis are a specific political party adding their own bits to that basic ideology – and the guys in this video are obviously ripping off the style of the latter, not just using the ideology of the former.

• Nalano says:

Well, the eagles holding faggots (as in the original definition of the term) is a Roman thing, symbolizing strength and unity, respectively, which many nations (including the US) tend to copy, and a lot of flags have red and white, which tend to symbolize blood and purity, respectively. Hell, even the Nazi swastika wasn’t original.

We tend to copy ourselves a lot.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I’d prefer the term fasces, Nalano. ;)

7. khalood says:

What made me love 2033 is the fact you shoot more monsters than people. Like Quake. Or Doom. Or any FPS worth talking about.

• woodsey says:

The monsters were the worst bits I found. The Librarians were interesting in concept but they didn’t seem to work on a practical level.

• Nalano says:

Not on such a tightly linear level, at any rate.

• Anthile says:

Both swords are for monsters, etc.

8. born2expire says:

Looks pretty awesome!

I figure Khan will hold the door open as you slide through, with him being trapped on the other side prompting a cutsence where Artyum yells “KAHHHHHHNNNNNNNN!!”

9. Alexander Norris says:

Russian Nazis.

• coldvvvave says:

Naah, they weren’t Nazis, just collaborators, not that they didn’t deserve same fate.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s possible to be both. :)

10. Joshua says:

Loved Khan in the first game. It is good to see that he shall return.
    Does this mean there will be different endings dependent on how you play again?

11. Orija says:

Tid-bit: As per the novels, Khan gets his name from believing himself to be the reincarnation of Genghis Khan.

12. Stevostin says:

It’s odd. As in the first game, the Art Direction is great, and every image seems like an illustration. Thing is, it would be great for anything BUT for a FPV game. I’d really like it to have the lightning set up in a more “natural way”, with higher contrast, shadows, less gloomy particle effect that looks nice but somehow hurt immersion.

The first game was a kind of CoD done right with an interesting universe and was running verrry smooth and nice looking here. Hope that one offers more wandering, side quests, etc.

13. Turin Turambar says:

“Gameplay trailer” they call it. Should i worry then?

14. Demiath says:

I’m playing Metro 2033 at the moment and I can’t say I really like it. This not-quite-new game looks amazing on my new GTX 580 but the actual gameplay consists of really underwhelming shooter mechanics, absolutely terrible stealth implementation and an in-game economy which is obtuse at best.

• fuggles says:

The economy is one of the strongest bits in terms of atmosphere. We can’t make decent bullets any more so the ones that exist are worth a lot, what with them being pretty essential to survive. Crappy knocked up bullets aren’t as good so aren’t worth much. I like that you can use your good bullets in game as they are more effective, which naturally means you can’t spend them. More transparency on which guns are good would be nice though. Fewer angry testicles too.

• Similar says:

heh. It’s actually one of the few games where I thought stealth felt okay, especially because you can shoot or turn off lamps (amazing how rare that mechanic is in games). And aside from the pneumatic weapons, and perhaps the automatic shotgun, I thought the shooting felt quite okay too.
      What annoyed me was the linearity, because the world calls so much for exploration and scavenging and finding or saving up for better gear, but you’re mostly not allowed to. It feels very constricting. Not so overly fond of the monster battles either, I have to say.

• Nalano says:

I liked the “ammo is currency” mechanic. And I loved the atmosphere, so the whole “mediocre shooter” critique falls flat to me. I fought to get to the next lovely scene; the fighting was almost ancillary.

• Arglebargle says:

The linearity and inability to look and explore were real negatives to me. The Metro 2033 atmosphere was really good. Sadly, the set up of the mechanics left me uninterested in playing. That, and not trusting the developers instincts. Thank goodness I got it on sale, ’cause I deleted it pretty quickly.

Nothing in this video makes me think that the next version will fix the issues I had with the game.

• wodin says:

Stealth….stealth…whats with all this stealth business? I played it through to the end and only aginst the librarians did I attempt…cough…stealth…uh uh…

I had a gun so I use dit…

The monsters weren’t the highlight for me at all…I’d rather it been the two pollitical factions and say more human resembling mutants….none of the flying mini dragons and hairy book readers…

15. Khemm says:

I hope the amount of time spent with NPC travelling through the tunnels with you will be kept to a minimum. Metro 2033 handled this aspect quite nicely and NPCs for the most part kept their mouths shut or at least didn’t tell you constantly what to do, they rather told you more about the world or some backstory.
    Metro 2033 was linear, but it did give me first Half Life vibes, I “felt” I could figure some things on my own. An illusion, but illusion done right.
    This video reeks of the CoD-like level of linearity and treating gamers like cretins, which I hate with a passion. “Follow me”!!! “Through here!!!” Even frakking “JUMP!” Dear dude, kindly STFU, ok?…
    Hope it’s just the context of that scene, because if we’ll end up always having tutorial-like NPCs yelling at the player all the time, I’ll be seriously mad at the developers.

• Bart Stewart says:

To be fair, Half-Life 2 has its share of directional barks: “Hey, Dr. Freeman, over here!” Even Deus Ex wasn’t beyond this kind of encouragement, albeit in a snarky way, as when Bob Page tells you, “Jump! You can make it!”
      That said, I much prefer STALKER-like freedom in my Russodystopian games over CoD’s “hurry up! this way to the next adrenaline-charged setpiece!”

• Khemm says:

@Bart I meant the first Half-Life, not 2. As for Deus Ex, like I said, if we get one-two such scenes, it’s fine if it makes sense considering the context or the story, but if it’s completely leading the player by the nose and building the ENTIRE game around NPCs constantly accompanying you and not letting you do or figure out anything on your own – then we get another CoD. Linearity to the MAX. Even Crysis 2 is guilty of this sin – not only are the levels in it much more limiting compared to its predecessor, the Nanosuit will NEVER shut up, it’ll even HALT the game waiting for a button prompt (press sth to enter cloak mode etc.).

• Nalano says:

@ Bart Stewart

Russodystopian

is redundant.

16. Siimon says:

Whats with all the soliders @ ~1:30 striking the same pose?

“This video reeks of the CoD-like level of linearity and treating gamers like cretins, which I hate with a passion. “Follow me”!!! “Through here!!!” Even frakking “JUMP!” ”
    Agreed with this… My impression of the video was movie-esque in the style of the new CoD’s, which is a shame because original Metro handled it so well imo.

17. wodin says:

After restarting Metro and getting through to the end the sequel has now over taken any other FPS as my most eagerly awaited….pushed bioshokc infinate into second and Rage into third….

Those Russians know how to do post apocolypse.

18. urza4315 says:

Uh, did everyone notice the crowd at 1:32, when everybody gets in the exact same pose like some 80′s dance routine?

19. Brynden says:

after playing half life episode 2 i thought i wouldnt play any more FPS cause everything i tried i tried for half an hour and forgot about it
    METRO was something else