Cyanide Computerising Confrontation

By Jim Rossignol on July 29th, 2011 at 2:30 pm.

Looks like we all bought our armour from that same boutique again?
Speaking of miniatures and dice, Cyanide – they of Bloodbowl and more lately the Game Of Thrones game – have announced that they are converting fantasy combat tabletop title Confrontation to the PC. Rackham, the company who made the game, went bust a while back I think, but the miniatures line has been picked up by Legacy Miniatures and it looks like Cyanide are pitching into the revival by creating a PC version. This PC version is, Cyanide explain: “an incredible real-time strategy game with the classic role playing elements.”

It will apparently be available this autumn, and I expect we’ll get hold of more details before then.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mr_Hands says:

I booted up Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition last night. Made my heart flutter a little faster. My blood flow a little thicker. My bottomquarters 25% more turgid.

2. Deccan says:

The Confrontation miniatures were glorious, but the rules were a tad…French. We tended to use the figures for other games.

It’ll be interesting to see what Cyanide do with this, if “classic roleplaying elements” indicates a move away from the slavish adherence to the original rules that seemed to characterise Blood Bowl.

• Daiv says:

To be fair, Blood Bowl with different rules simply wouldn’t be Blood Bowl. Cyanide’s Blood Bowl took everything good about the game (the crazy, cruel rules) and removed the bad stuff (book-keeping and rules arguments and accusations of “skill rolling”) and added animations and sound effects.

• President Weasel says:

Also they did add some sort of crazy non-turn-based mode that I’ve never even looked at, and some sort of rules involving fancy armour that you could pay for (that I’ve never even looked for),

• TheApologist says:

Yeah – it’s telling that they added modes, and as far as I can tell no-one looks past the original rules. It’s Bloodbowl without the hassle. Love it.

• Screwie says:

Slavish adherence to the rules is the most interesting part of Cyanide’s Blood Bowl. There is no better way to play the game.

If the Confrontation game (and dammit, my heart skipped a beat when just for a moment I thought they were talking about GW’s own proto-Necromunda game of the same name) will also have a true-to-source turn-based mode, it will definitely have my interest.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Well, I wish it were a little more slavish. Horns give +1 strength if you blitz, even if you dont move a square first.
      I was all like pffff when I found that out.

• Chris D says:

Does anyone play the real-time mode of Bloodbowl?

• Pike says:

@Peter Radiator Full Pig

I think that was a change made in LRB6 rather than a problem in the Cyanide game.

• Deccan says:

I suppose my opinion is coloured by my experiences playing Blood Bowl with miniatures: it struck me that the game punished you for trying to play it, especially with a Skaven team.

I like my wargames a little more social, too. Players would stare at the board in silence, making calculations. Oh, and I was ready to set people on fire if I heard “illegal procedure!” one more time. The perils of “serious” league play.

Just not my game, I guess. *goes off to play more Dystopian Wars*

(1st Edition Blood Bowl is another story however. That game was an unmitigated delight.)

3. Lacero says:

So there’s still hope they’ll one day make a necromunda game with a campaign mode.

4. Hanban says:

Colour me interested. A coulour I imagine being yellow.

5. Vexing Vision says:

Real Time and Cyanide just don’t mix, although apparently it’s easier to fake AI in RTS. :D

6. jti says:

Real time… We meet again, my Nemesis.

7. Morph says:

Myself and a group of gamers played confrontation for a few months, drawn in by the lovely miniatures. But eventually we were turned off due to the rules being rather poor and the forces horribly unbalanced. Later the rules were rewritten (and simplified) but it was a bit late.

So while it’s nice to see this sort of thing happening, there are games I would rather see (Warmachine for one).

8. Reapy says:

I didn’t know what confrontation was, then googled it, a miniature battle system. Mini battle system on pc with cool models +++++…. then… real time. And thus, my interest disappeared.

9. bluebottle says:

It does seem odd that Cyanide didn’t look at their most successful title to date, see the difference in quality between the turn-based and real-time modes, and not reach the obvious conclusion.

Hearing that Cyanide have got hold of a tabletop licence, and are realising it as a realtime game, does break my heart a little bit.

10. Nick says:

“an incredible real-time strategy game ”

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

11. wodin says:

the words realtime finished it off for me.

• JiminyJickers says:

Same here. There are way too many RT games and I would like a bit more depth and time to think, especially from a tabletop game.

12. mjig says:

Is it at all possible that they’re calling it “real time” in the hopes that it will attract a more mainstream crowd, and in reality the real time portion is just a stupid tacked on mode like it was for Blood Bowl? I am desperate for more turn based tabletop and pen&paper conversions.

13. Ergonomic Cat says:

I’m going to say we need to pop on their forums and make our voices heard re:Real Time vs Turn based. I picked up Blood Bowl during the Steam Summer sale, and per stats, I’ve put in 55 hours so far, with an average of 7 hours a week. So I’m a fan. ;) Seeing another game, with turn based rules, would rock.

Confrontation was the game I always wanted to pick up, along with Dust. They were both so freakin’ gorgeous and stylish.

I have 2-3 Confrontation minis just because I couldn’t not get a few.

Edit:

Forum thread about real time vs turn based already started on their forums….

Comment on this story