Humble Bundle 3: Now With Free Minecraft

By Alec Meer on July 29th, 2011 at 10:59 am.

Image recylcing: for the days when resizing something to 600 pixels wide in Photoshop feels like the final straw

This post is irrelevant, of course. I mean, who reading this doesn’t have a Minecraft account? No, I’m not talking to you, grumpy-pants. But if, somehow, you haven’t played the game of blocks yet, here’s a way to give it a spin without signing on the dotted line. Anyone who buys the Humble Indie Bundle 3 will, no matter what they elect to pay for it, be granted free access to Minecraft until August 14.

Not a full account admittedly, but still pretty generous. Unlike the guy who’s trying to sell copies of the Humble Bundle 3 (which, lest we forget, is partially for charity) for a profit on eBay, presumably aimed at folk who haven’t heard about HB3. (That via Reddit). I can’t prove he paid the lowest sum possible for his copies of HB3, of course, but, y’know. Those listings speak volumes. Guess he’s not breaking any law, but if he’s doing what he appears to be doing, he is being hideous and exploitative, and all for the sake of just a few bucks. That’s a crime as far as I’m concerned.

Fortunately, HB3 is doing pretty well regardless of such devilry. It’s shifted 151,159 copies at the time of writing, bringing in $727,293 for the developers and charities involved. The highest sum paid for a single bundle so far goes, as it did last year, to Minecraft’s Notch, who forked out $4,048 for a copy of the pack – which contains VVVVVV, And Yet It Moves, Cogs, Hammerfight and Crayon Physics Deluxe.

Grab your own copy, presumably for a rather lower price (although fame surely awaits you if you can stump up more than Notch did), here.

, .

1. Carra says:

Of course I have a minecraft account. Those who don’t should be banned from RPS.

• phenom_x8 says:

Of course I have a minecraft account… but the free one!
      Banned me RPS !

Btw, I cannot stop playing VVVVV and Yet it Moves now! Awesome!
      (Hammerfight was nice, but its too difficult for my $10 mouse to handle)

• vanarbulax says:

Pfft minecraft…. I play dwarf fortress. I’ll take your elitism and raise you.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Everyone should have to pay for the privelage of reading RPS. And pay to a certain person that isnt RPS, too.

I know I dont have a minecraft account. Prefer Terraria, as a game.

• jokomul says:

@Peter I completely agree. Minecraft is a great concept, but for $10, you can get a wonderful game created with that concept: Terraria.

Although I did purchase Minecraft some time ago, I regret it. I can’t stand the thought that I paid $15 for an idea -_____-

2. Valvarexart says:

Sneaky Notch is at it again. I thought “oh wow, that’s kind of him” until I read “until”. This just seems like a good marketing opportunity, to be honest. Well, not that that is a bad thing, that’s not what I’m suggesting.

• CMaster says:

Indeed. If people like the trial, they are likely to buy Minecraft. It’s a marketing opportunity lots of people would love, I’m sure. At the same time, it does nobody any harm and gives players more value, so yay!

• Alec Meer says:

Sure, it’s probably useful to Mojang. But it’s also significantly increasing the odds of people buying a bundle that gives money to charity and indie devs.

• simoroth says:

Notch has put a lot of time and effort into helping out this years bundle.

The levels he made that are bundled in the VVVVVV version 2 took a lot of time (although soulEye said last night that he actually crunched for two weeks to perfect his own), and were somewhat of a selling point. Not to mention him in being one of the most awesome teams of beta testers ever assembled for any game ever.

I’m still terrified about how many people are playing my buggy code. :|

• tenseiga says:

Seconded, marketing opportunity. Dont want to be part of the bundle itself, just want to piggy back on the whole we support charity and pay what you want, without actually being part of it. its pretty shameful tbh.

Edit:
      Uh, post was bit harsh and kind of stupid and i didnt know they developed VVVVV too. I just wish he would give it away for all sales above 15/20$ or something.

• Valvarexart says:

I wouldn’t go as far as saying shameful, but it isn’t entirely selfless either. He did put a lot of effort into VVVVVV obviously, and he donated lots of money. And anyways, it’s a win/win, because he gives Humble Bundle marketing as well.

• Pinkables says:

Reply – fail(iure)

Edit: although i would add, i really have no problem with this at all. It’s not like anyone is really being mislead here. We all know that it’s good for notch, and i think we know that he knows that we know that as well.

• Alec Meer says:

What’s also SHAMEFUL is the indie developers SELLING THEIR GAMES FOR MONEY in this pack. It makes me SICK to see indie developers PROFITING from a project partially designed to create PROFIT for indie developers.

• Mike says:

Does Notch actually need any more money at this point? I think we’re at the point where he’s just doing whatever seems most appropriate/fun/useful to others. Pretty sure he’s not looking at profit margins for Minecraft that often nowadays.

• CMaster says:

@Mike
      He’s expressed an interest in Mojang “becoming Valve” and has also talked at a few times in ways that suggest Mojang could effectively become a small-scale project publisher. Either of those things involve pretty serious money – ideally more than he’s got so far. although I guess they are getting on for €40,000,000 now.

Like Alec says, the Humble Bundle is in itself a profit making exercise, not some kindness of their hearts, all money to charity thing like say, AI War expansion 2. Equally, I can’t see anyone buying the bundle complaining about the free gametime they got for an extra game.

• Xocrates says:

By the way, can any of you imagine the shitstorm if Minecraft had been indeed included on the bundle?

People are buying the game on the assumption they’re getting a discounted price pre-release, do you honestly believe notch would include the game on the bundle before it was officially released? Particularly when you take into consideration the overreaction of the community to anything they don’t like?

• Tei says:

@Mike Notch maybe not, but he is not alone. He is on a team, and a team is a lot of money that need to be pumped out montly. He and mojang must make enough money from minecraft, until the next game or games are released. At that point it will not be all that important.

• BigJonno says:

Nice to see Alec channelling Mr T.

• Nidokoenig says:

Xocrates, he could have offered to include it for people who donated above a certain amount, like how people who donated $20 or more to HIB2 got the HIB1 stuff, too. Although, you’ll notice the free trial only lasts until the bundle ends, so it’s a nice little motivator to get people on board, the longer you wait, the more free Minecraft you lose. Not that I’m going to play it, it’ll be like crack cocaine to me.

As for indie profit, the only profit they get from me is positive reputation, I put everything on the charities the last time and that’s what I’ve done this time, they even have a button for it. I’ve already bought most of them, anyway, and the kids and freedom are more important.

By the way, if you’re running NoScript, allow pubnub.com as well as the main humble bundle website so that when you buy it, it’ll be able to pop up the message that the payment has been confirmed. Or don’t and just click the email you’ll get either way.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Sneaky Notch? Silly Notch rather, paying $4,048 just for a trial version of Minecraft. He could have got a full version for free if he’d just told one of his employees to generate a code for him.

Silly, silly Notch.

:P

• Slither says:

Keep in mind, this is the second Indie Bundle Notch has laid money down for, and helped promote via his masses of audiences, and the first time he had no “marketing” incentive to do so. He loves the idea, obviously, and continues to throw more and more money at it, and is just following the logical progression of getting more and more involved in it. ~shrug~

3. Medo says:

Not quite true, since apparently notch bought the bundle twice by mistake, once paying $2048 and once $2000. The two payments were later merged into one for the statistics at his request. So technically, he comes in at 3rd and 4th place for the highest price for a single bundle :)

• JohnArr says:

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

• westyfield says:

Possible Futurama reference is possible.

Tentative +1 Internet to you, sir.

4. Ham Solo says:

He added infos about the new creepy mob on his blag. Sounds great.

• CMaster says:

Don’t even blink. Blink and you’re dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don’t turn your back, don’t look away, and don’t blink.

• patricij says:

I’d love a version of Creeper that moves when you are not looking…in big packs, fun/annoyance guaranteed

• Teddy Leach says:

And also don’t look directly at them.

• CaspianRoach says:

I wonder if we’ll be able to build a blue police box in the adventure update…

5. Crimsoneer says:

Crayon Physics with my wacom tablet is some of the most fun I’ve had in ages. It’s like a magic crayon!!

6. Brutal Deluxe says:

Gotta love the responses to this on eBay, such as this gem:
    You’re worse than people who talk in the cinema

• Pinkables says:

I think we should also blame this seller for the low “Average Windows” price. Even though we have no evidence what so ever. The bastard.

• Teddy Leach says:

The only thing worse that someone who talks in a cinema is someone who east crisps in a cinema. Loudly.

• Pinkables says:

Or someone who laughs raucously at the Orange adverts.

• Gonefornow says:

This is my favorite:
      As for this seller.. if he wants money that badly try selling your heart to an organ collector.. it’s not as if you’re using it !!

7. RogB says:

now i’s seen it all. that ebay thing is… disgusting

8. MuscleHorse says:

I got rather excited about this post as I thought it was a sign of Minecraft coming to Steam, considering you can activate your bundles on there. No cigar though, it seems.

9. Big Murray says:

I can think of no game that I want to play less than Minecraft, and I’m not ashamed of that, despite its raving fanboys.

Rest of the pack … awesome stuff.

• IDtenT says:

Indeed. I do not understand the appeal at all. Building stuff? I never liked Lego that much.

• thegooseking says:

Sigh.

People like things for reasons. Yes, even things you don’t like, or reasons you don’t have.

Please stop misusing the word ‘fanboy’. It’s really stupid.

• The Sentinel says:

I’d like to see the word ‘fanboy’ destroyed completely: It is nonsense given too much importance, much like politics.

Big Murray, IDten T: we love you for who you are. :)

• IDtenT says:

I’ve always wanted to be loved! Don’t leave me. T_T

• Big Murray says:

It’s a distasteful term, yes … but we need words to describe things even if they’re unpleasant. What else do we call people who indiscriminately attack and degrade anyone who dares not to like their favourite game/developer/character?

I’m in no way suggesting that everyone who likes Minecraft is a fanboy. I recognise that Minecraft has wide appeal and does a lot of awesome things. I’m just a little tired of not being able to say “I don’t like Minecraft” without a swarm of people responding “WHAT? How could you not like Minecraft?! Are you ill? (etc etc)”. Which is my personal experience.

• IDtenT says:

I played it again for a bit. Much long than I did previously and well, meh. I find the mining somewhat entertaining but the building is a chore I don’t need. :P

10. Skusey says:

Stupid Notch, trying to help people. What on earth was he thinking?

11. Drake Sigar says:

To me digital distribution always felt like going into Connor MacLeod’s library filled with the rarest ancient tomes and distinguished works, then being told you can photocopy anything you want. It’s overwhelming, glorious even, but I’ve never accepted the idea and am so far unable to shake the desire to own a boxed retail version.

12. Raziel_Alex says:

I don’t have a Minecraft account. Tried for 20-30 minutes at a friend and I don’t think I’ll try it again.

13. omwibya says:

wow Minecraft free with the humble bundle? that’s top…notch

14. Shadrach says:

Argh, I got HB3 and is mildly interested in Minecraft, but just too many games coming out in august-october, so I guess it shall have to wait.

15. Medo says:

Playing the devil’s advocate here, and you might bash me no end for this, but I don’t think the guy reselling the bundle is doing anything morally wrong, as long as it is actually legal. If they sell the Humble Bundle for any price without any limitation like “only one purchase per person”, it is nobody’s fault but their own if someone actually exercises the rights he gains from this purchase.

This guy is most particularly not “stealing from children” as the commenters on that product page make it out. Yes, there is a chance that people who didn’t hear of the bundle yet buy from him, when they might have bought the actual bundle later. However, the same is true for any store selling the game directly at the moment. Steam is currently selling Cogs for 8,99€. Are they stealing from the children as well?

Of course, with a steam purchase the original developer gets his share, while this guy makes the humble bundle business actually lose money for bandwidth costs etc. But to state it again, they really can’t complain about it, since they are offering the bundle under these conditions, knowing full well that people can buy it at a price that is very disadvantageous to them. If they want to avoid this, they need to set a more reasonable minimum price that at least covers their costs, or limit the license in some way, e.g. to forbid you from buying the low-price licenses in bulk.

Or, you know, they could just ignore it. I doubt what this guy is doing has any real impact on the humble bundle apart from getting everyone worked up.

• Xocrates says:

Morally wrong and legally wrong are two different things. Even if he’s done “nothing wrong” he’s still being an ass.

• Temple says:

Also, I learnt what Tarantula Hawks are thanks to people’s responses to that prick.

Eh, someone smarter than me can confirm -I’m reasonably sure you can say it is morally wrong as we all have our own morals. So yeah, he’s morally wrong. And if you really didn’t get a funny turn in your stomach when you read it then well done.

• cliffski says:

The problem with assholes like that is not the individual damage they do, but the effect they have on the way you have to do business.
      Ever read an EULA? apples ipad one is now 28 pages. And you know what? I bet they’d lvoe to have a one-line EULA. I used to have one, saying “pls act nice and don’t rip me off”, And over the years, people do the craziest shit and tell you that its fine to put all your art assets in their game, or pirate it, or resell it as their own etc… because you didn’t EXPLICITLY say so in a EULA, so fuck you etc…

So over time, people acting like dicks just mean more and more legalese gets added to everyones lives saying “You do not have the right to do insane thing X”.
      Just in the way idiots are why we have “caution! hot tea may be hot!” signs everwhere, assholes are why we have 28 page EULAs, and DRM.

• Temple says:

Cliffski, invent a way we can punch people over the internet -you’d be rich enough to buy Notch.
      Well, until someone pirated it.

• IDtenT says:

The only way to remove dicks like this from the earth is to remove profit. Without profit they wouldn’t exist. More importantly, without profit you wouldn’t care what person X does to your IP.

It sure is nice being a Marxist some days.

• Medo says:

This guy is making money off someone else’s work without any effort on his part, and it even costs the people who deserve to get that money as compensation for their work. I can see why this is not good. However, I’d call it cheeky, rather than painting him as a criminal.

@cliffski, I hate long licenses as well. Who doesn’t. The point is that he didn’t abuse some crazy loophole. It was clear that you can buy the bundle cheap, and it was probably no big surprise if you’re allowed to resell it. He simply used these possibilities a lot *more* than other people. He did *not* use something you’d generally consider to be disallowed, like re-using assets without permission (and I do have trouble believing that you have to state this explicitly in the eula – but then again, IANAL and licensing really is a difficult topic).

This is why I think that the problem is rather with the principle of the offer itself, rather than with some technical licensing detail – if you’re offering to give away money, I don’t think it’s wrong for someone to take you up on the offer.

(Again, I feel that I need to clarify my role as devil’s advocate. I don’t think what this guy is doing is good, but I do think he’s being vilified more intensely than is warranted by what he did, so I’m taking this extreme point as a balance.)

• Deano2099 says:

He’s probably a dick but we don’t know the details. Maybe he really needs the money too to pay for an operation or prevent his house from being foreclosed, and is just desperately trying anything.

16. Joe Maley says:

i got suckered into buying minecraft when it was still $10, because the price was going to raise or something.

everytime i try to play minecraft, it just makes me wonder why i’m not playing garrys mod instead. i understand garrys mod isn’t an open world builder, but it fills the want-to-play-grown-up-legos itch.

sorry i am disgrace to pc race!

• MuscleHorse says:

Garry’s mod is wonderful too but I’ve always felt it’s more of a Meccano to Minecraft’s Lego.

Not quite understanding all of the anti-Minecraft comments – they all seem to be around the vein of ‘tried it for ten minutes, got fed up’. You need to give it longer – go explore! Die! Find! The glory of the game is coming across a strange structure made of gems and gold, surrounded by a lake of lava miles under the surface of the earth and knowing that it was all created randomly, just for you.

• Urthman says:

I thought about snarking, “Yeah, go back to exploring those gorgeous, endless caves in Garry’s Mod.’

Then I had a vision of a procedurally-generated cave exploring game that looks like Dear Esther and I was sad because of how many years I’m going to have to wait until that exists.

• wererogue says:

I rather like Minecraft, but not for the lego-building – I just like exploring the product of that lovely world generator.

17. Berious says: