Thoughts on E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy

By Jim Rossignol on July 29th, 2011 at 12:57 pm.

He's a bit sarcastic, that one.
UPDATE: The game is now out on Steam.

Over the past couple of days I’ve been playing indie cyberpunk RPG/FPS hybrid E.Y.E, whose team we interviewed yesterday. It’s an unusual thing, to say the least. Streum are a team of just ten but have set out with the ambition to make something enormously complex, with a story, a level and stats structure, multiplayer, huge levels, multifarious gunplay, insanity, stealth, and melee combat. I feel like I’m just grazing the surface so far, and these are just initial impressions. I suspect we’ll get around to something more in-depth in the coming weeks.

E.Y.E. is a game based on the Source engine. This means it is capable of some decent atmospherics, and some of the environments are very pretty, but it nevertheless feels like old tech. The game has a slightly floaty feel to it that I’ve detected in Source total conversions from time to time, and this game feels like a Source mod gone insane. There’s no lack of talent here, Streum have done some amazing stuff, but there does feel like a lack of cash and, perhaps, a lack of focus.

Just give you an overview of that’s contained in here, let’s try to quickly run through its features. It’s a shooter, but it’s linked together by missions, which are obtained by talking to characters in classic RPG fashion. There’s a stat system underlying your character, with a whole bunch of attributes to be levelled up. Which of course means a level system: you level up as you play and spend your points accordingly. Of course there’s also character creation preceding all of this, where you combine a number of different “genes” to come up with your character’s starting traits. Whatever you choose you’ll be able to engage in a bunch of different things that the characters can do, from flat out ranged combat (pistols, SMGs, shotguns, sniper rifles, heavy weapons) through using various types of armour, engaging in stealth, hacking, and a bunch of augmentations you can play with for further specialisation. There are even “several madnesses” and you must take care of your character’s mental health as things get more difficult.

The game world is a sort of amalgam of Warhammer 40k’s mythic pseudo-magical theology and more familiar Deus Ex-like cyberpunk. You are a super-assassin working for some kind of monster-slaying brotherhood who are struggling for control of various locations against other cyberpunkian factions of men in dark glasses and long coats. All this is backed up with a library of written back matter, which I couldn’t really be bothered to read. It’s nonetheless impressive that the team have put so much work into their world, even if they couldn’t quite afford to flesh it out. More immediately, there’s some kind of immediate sub-plot where your mentor might be a baddy and people are suggesting you betray him, but I’ve not really uncovered how deeply the RPG elements run just yet. I simply haven’t played enough. No matter how these conversation trees impact on your experience, I suspect it’s going to be tricky for anyone to invest too deeply in this baroque world of largely-silent blank-faced nightmare soldiers.

The scope, then, is impressive, but you have to remember that we are dealing with indie production values. The levels are enormous, and often swathed in atmospherics, but the game does feel a little wobbly in places. Menus don’t feel intuitive, and while there’s a huge bank of tutorial videos provided to explain the game to you, principles of how to play aren’t really expanded upon beyond a basic tutorial corridor. While the NPCs do have a few animations and a few speak weird-language nonsense vocals, most of what we get is text boxes, with the NPCs remaining static. The game world is huge and detailed, but it doesn’t quite manage to feel authentic in the way that higher budget games do. I think this is down to the way the team have had to limit their ambitions. While there are bits and pieces of incidental detail, such as little beasts crawling about on the floor, there isn’t much in the way of scripted events or little details that might otherwise bring a game to life. Some areas are seriously impressive, while others are simply fogged and gloomy boxes.

Of course we can forgive all that when the game is so ambitious, and when it tries to deliver so much of what we ask for in terms of depth and complexity in games. It’s just the kind of game project that large studios would no longer risk, and so it’s down to brave, dedicated souls like the Streum team to try and make it happen.

The whole thing is four-player co-op, so you can play through it multiplayer as you see fit. I suspect this is the optimal way to get through it, because the combat does feel more like you are playing basic multiplayer bots than well scripted enemies. I say this partly because I haven’t really figured stealth out, and therefore have fought my way through most of the levels, but ultimately baddies aggro you from far away, and then run to get into line of sight. Snipers pick you up almost immediately, which can be a little annoying. Ultimately enemy activity is a bit simplistic and doesn’t compare well with other, similar FPS behaviours, or the diverse range of options that the rest of E.Y.E. wants you take advantage of. Also modern games have really pushed the audio-visual feedback of being shot at, and here it feels very lightweight, which makes dying (and then being peculiarly instantly resurrected) all seem a little weightless. As a consequence I’m not finding the combat particularly satisfying, but I also haven’t quite figured out how to adapt my character to stealth. It might involve starting over.

All that said, the combat has some positive aspects: It’s fast-paced, especially in how quickly enemies go down. No bullet sponges here. In fact it all speaks of hardcore multiplayer influences. Once again there’s that tinge of Source mod to it. You get the feeling that mods like NeoTokyo might have had some influence here. Streum clearly want their combat to be respected, and ignore the slow, challenge-free cover-systems that contemporary gaming tells us we want. The result of this is a game that feels old fashioned and at the same time bold and independent.

I’m looking forward to trying the game with another player, and also exploring a bit more of the world. The maps are huge, but I’ve been in the same one for a while now. Having seen some serious mapping talent displayed so far, I wonder what else this oddity contains. I’m amused by the starting area for the game being a dream that your character is having. I still feel a little groggy from my explorations in this world. I wonder at what point things come back to reality with a bump. I remain intrigued, but not entirely convinced.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Anthile says:

Is there any release date for this?

2. godgoo says:

I too remain intrigued, but not entirely convinced.

• meatshit says:

It’s got style; I’ll give it that much. I have a feeling the gameplay won’t live up to the art design however.

• Meatloaf says:

So even more like Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, then. Except even the art style was shaky for that.

• johnpeat says:

The artwork (rather than the screenshots) looks nice BUT it’s MASSIVELY derivative, to the point of approaching plagaristic…

Dead Space Helmet – WoW Shoulderpads – WAR/WoW-style armor etc. etc.

That long list of stuff does not really include originality does it? :)

3. gausswerks says:

Four player co-op? In MY cyberdystopia? Well that changes things now doesn’t it.

4. phenom_x8 says:

We all well with minecraft/terraria/vvvvv graphical/animation presentation level, so I think its far beyond what other indie have been able to achieved in graphic and animation department. Although, they can do it better by looking at ZenoClash!
    Beside, its the same indie we always love right??

5. Askeladd says:

I want TotalBiscuit reviewing this game!
    Single and Co-Op :)

• JB says:

I too remain intrigued, but not entirely convinced. But a TB video would probably help me decide which way to go with this one.

• Jorkens says:

Apparently, devs have sent or are going to send something to Total Biscuit. So wait and see…

6. markcocjin says:

The Source engine can’t get a break from journalists. You will always see them comment on it as looking old.

You don’t hear them commenting on other games as looking old. If you’re an indie developer, even if your game looks like it ran from an arcade ROM, you won’t hear the word old.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Right, but there’s a difference between being deliberately lo-fi or retro, and looking impressive but still not competing with current-gen visuals. Surely you understand why I make the distinction?

And I think it’s more down to implementation and stylisation than the engine – Zeno Clash looked great.

• Echo Black says:

Going with an “arcade ROM” look is usually a stylistic decision (unless you mean to tell me the major hurdle to small teams putting out great graphics is a lack of talent and not a lack of raw manpower/time), whereas going with a particular big name engine (usually?) isn’t. I don’t know man, there’s just so far you can expect people to push an engine. Even Portal 2, which is from a big-name dev (and the authors of the engine themselves), looked a tad dated to me. Whereas Hawken (UE3 SDK, indie) looks pretty damn “current”. Stuff like this E.Y.E., Zombie Panic and Dino D-Day might well be quality games, but they DO look old and much of that is because of the engine.

• phenom_x8 says:

The matter is why Jim seems so “forgiving” with the recent indie that using the ‘bad/old’ graphical presentation.But not with this indie that using more ‘good/advance’ graphical presentation by using the rather old engine.

I think that the real purpose of free source,Cry Engine 3 and unreal SDK being released was to provide better tool for indie developer in order to deliver their creativity with AAA graphical presentation !

I dont really care what kind of graphical style indie dev used. I will be fine as long as it’s able to deliver the atmosphere needed by the game! And by using “shinier” tool (like this game), they still appropriate to get more respect from us!

• Jim Rossignol says:

“The matter is why Jim seems so “forgiving” with the recent indie that using the ‘bad/old’ graphical presentation.But not so forgiven with this indie that using more ‘good/advance’ graphical presentation by using the rather old engine.”

Huh? All I said was that it “feels like old tech”. I think “the matter” is people making storms in teacups.

• Urthman says:

I think most Source Engine games look much better than a lot of U3 games. A lot of U3 games make everything look shiny / wet / plastic / fake. I’d much rather have the “flatter” look of a Source game, even if the lighting or whatever is not quite as good.

• Echo Black says:

phenom_x8, I don’t mean to be a dick but I can barely understand your post. English is probably not your first language but you might want to retype that!

• phenom_x8 says:

Thats what I mean,Jim! I think you mention too much of the graphic / animation problem plaguing this game like it was very big matter and then compare it with other FPS (it is not clear what do you mean, whether its indie FPS or not. I think not much indie FPS that quite like this except for The BALL or Zeno ). For example :
      “While the NPCs do have a few animations… ”
      “…simply fogged and gloomy boxes.”
      “Ultimately enemy activity is a bit simplistic …”
      “… it feels very lightweight, which makes dying (and then being peculiarly instantly resurrected) all seem a little weightless”
      Doesnt mean to offence you here, Jim!
      I’m just try to tell you what I feel after read this article!
      Sorry if there is some misunderstanding here! And I know that its just your 1st impressions of the game!
      @ Echo Black
      Thanks for the advice. I have fix some of it except for the 1st sentence (I’m aware for the mistake I’ve made, but still confused how to fix it :P) appropriately !

• thebigJ_A says:

You still aren’t making any sense, Phenom.

• malkav11 says:

I’m not going to take issue with Jim over it – if it feels old to him, fine. But for my money the Source engine produces some of the best looking shooters on the market and holds up astoundingly well considering how old it actually is. The only game that looks a bit janky nowadays is Vampire, and that’s because it uses a prerelease version of Source that never worked nearly as well as the real thing.

• bill says:

@phenom:

The difference in part is your goal, and setting it appropriately.

If you have a small team and tiny budget it’s all great and ambitious to go for a modern 3d shooter, but you’ll be compared to modern 3d shooters because that’s your target – and you’ll probably come off worse.

Or you can go for something more simple and stylised, which might be less ambitious, but you have a much greater chance of pulling it off successfully.

For example, if me and my mates attempt to build a house we’d probably do a bad job, and it’d look bad when compared to other nearby houses. But if we attempt to build a shed then we could make a nice polished shed that compares well to all other sheds.

/PS/ I still think Source looks lovely, and it scales really really well.

7. slick_101 says:

I have only spotted this on the look ups on RPS, but I am interested in this, It seems that people have gotten fed up of all the blandness of corridor shooters and the “cinematic” games….. They have gone back to the roots that has gotten us hooked on games in the beginning.

Just hoping that this has LAN play and the multi-player has the same feel as L4D Where is actually useful to work in a team

8. Cerzi says:

I just keep thinking of Dystopia and wish that game kicked off properly, or was turned into a stand-alone retail game. The whole cyberspace/meatspace thing was pure genius and needs to be done again.

• aethereal says:

Dystopia is still around, although with a fairly small playerbase.
      The problem is that it has a fairly steep learning curve (compared to most fps) and advertising tends to bring in people who play for an hour, and then quit in frustration because they don’t know whats going on.

That said, I would love to see an RPS article on Dystopia. Fantastic game.

• John P says:

Dystopia was/is great. One of the very few multiplayer games I’ve played for a good length of time.

• HermitUK says:

Still love Dystopia. Don’t think I’ve played a multiplayer game with anything quite so fun and original as Dystopia’s cyberspace battles. I mean, the meatspace level design is excellent and I loved my boltgun, but jacking in was brilliant. When Brink came out it put me in mind of Dystopia – objective based multiplayer my sort of thing, but Brink lacked the excellent map design of Dystopia by some margin, which was a shame.

Certainly think the learning curve is tough, especially in cyberspace as the much more abstract maps require some serious learning, which isn’t easy when there’s only a limited number of cyberdeck terminals. Some sort of tutorial mode was really needed for each of the maps individually to properly explain the objectives, along with what each terminal in cyberspace did in meatspace.

Course the real problem for me is that what little Dystopia community remains is largely US based, which doesn’t make for great pings from the UK.

• Harlander says:

Dystopia was great, really good production values, especially for a mod, and slick gameplay, and as mentioned, the cyberspace stuff was aces. I drifted away from it though as I came to realise that I didn’t really enjoy teammatch FPSs enough to bother getting good at them.

I think we’ve got some of the Dystopia team lurking around in the RPS community

• Saul says:

I’m in business with one of the artists. He acknowledges that the learning curve was too steep and the gameplay too hardcore to ever get a mass audience. Even the devs stopped playing after a while, as they became easy targets for the super-hardcore.

• KindredPhantom says:

A few of us are regulars at RPS. Dystopia was originally made by aussies, interestingly enough.
      If anyone is interested in what the minds behind Dystopia are up to (well not all of them) check out Blade Symphony. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/punyhuman/blade-symphony

9. Teddy Leach says:

“The game has a slightly floaty feel to it that I’ve detected in Source total conversions from time to time”

I must be the only one that thought Half Life 2 itself felt floaty.

• Highstorm says:

Nay sir, you are not.

• ZIGS says:

This game actually feels less floaty than other Source games, including HL2

• DrGonzo says:

I’ve always found the other engines to feel floaty. The only ones I really feel comfortable in are derived from the Quake engine, like Half Life, Source. It’s probably just that I’m used to them, but I feel like you can judge precisely how high you can jump, what gaps you will fit through. Whereas Unreal Engine games feel like you clip through the world a bit and aren’t really connected to it.

10. Archonsod says:

Sounds like a similar list of flaws that afflicted Precursors. Didn’t spoil my enjoyment there …

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’ve enjoyed this less than Precursors. It has less character. The gunplay is about the same level of not-quite-right, though.

11. The Sentinel says:

I think Mr Gillen should give us his thoughts on this. Tell him to stop writing X-Men and have a gander. Oh, can you also ask him what Marvel are doing with Cyclops, please, and why? Thanks.

12. Iskariot says:

RPG + action + huge levels + cyberpunk.

I am very interested in this.
    It is the first time I heard about this game.

• Waltorious says:

Yeah, I’m tempted to buy this just to reward the developers’ ambition. Even if this game is bad, I want more games to try the things it’s trying.

13. ResonanceCascade says:

I figured it would be clunky, but I still want to buy this. I mostly play old games and old games are clunky too, so that’s not a huge turn off to me. As long as the core gameplay works, of course.

14. JackShandy says:

“There are even “several madnesses” and you must take care of your character’s mental health as things get more difficult.”

Do you mean that there’s a sanity metre? I’m fucking in.

15. Corpekata says:

E.Y.E just dropped on Steam. Pretty sudden.

16. WMain00 says:

It’s £13 D: Is this worth £13?

17. Phinor says:

Those who are brave enough to buy it, please do post first impressions. I’m on the Brink with this one. The price is certainly attractive but is it simply good enough game?

18. jakonovski says:

Instant purchase. This kind of a marketing/release strategy works on me it seems.

19. Kdansky says:

If it didn’t go for bloody annoying iron sights, I’d buy it. I don’t want to stare at my gun, I want to look at my enemies, and still be able to hit them without hoping that the random number generator likes me and doesn’t throw my bullets too far off course.

• Thants says:

Modern FPS games must be hell for you.

• bill says:

What’s the point of iron sights? It just seems to add an extra barrier.

It seemed like a good idea at first, but having tried to play Brothers in Arms recently (and hated it with a passion) i discovered that what’s good in theory is annoying in practice.

Quake: Point crosshairs. Press fire.
      Brothers in Arms. Point crosshairs. Press iron sights button. FIne-tune crosshairs. Press fire. Run out of bullets. Press iron sights button. Press reload button. Press iron sights button. gah! Play a good game instead.

• BathroomCitizen says:

I hate ironsights too.

If it’s not a game like Arma where you are trying to achieve some kind of military realism, than ironsights must go away.

They let a game become clunkier, narrowing your field of vision while staring at a gun model. I prefer looking at my enemies and my surroundings rather than a zoomed-in gun.

• YourMessageHere says:

Obviously none of you mad people have any idea what shooting is actually like. Go and buy a BB gun and try hitting something without using the sights, holding the gun away from you like you would in any FPS game. Yes, it’s doable, with loads of practice. Or you could just take the extra second to line up the sights.

Seriously, I can’t stand FPS games without iron sights nowadays, it’s the single greatest innovation in FPS since mouselook, no joke. It’s not always implemented that well, admittedly (BiA sounds like an awful implementation, which, since it’s more squad tactics than personal shooting, isn’t amazing to me; try Stalker or a recent CoD for decent ironsights), but it contributes buckets to atmosphere, immersion and disbelief suspension. To long for the days of quake over this…perhaps you’d like autoaim too?

Tip: stop looking at the gun, look at the enemy through the sights. This is how to aim. Look at the surroundings when you’ve shot the bad men.

• LionsPhil says:

Obviously none of you mad people have any idea what shooting is actually like.

Obviously you don’t have any idea what a shooter that goes for arcadey fun over realism is.

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah, Quake doesn’t need Iron Sights and shouldn’t have them. Games like RAGE would be better without them I think, but something realistic or even trying to be pseudo-realistic like CoD should have them otherwise it feels a bit silly.

20. Linfosoma says:

I want this bad, but I need to hear some impressions first, yesterday I tried Dino D-Day and despite being hopeful I wasnt very impressed.

• Echo Black says:

Dino D-Day is absolute crap. I’ve tried the free weekend, they want money for it even though it’s much worse than just about every noteworthy free HL2 mod

21. Belhoriann says:

Watch this guy playing E.Y.E via streaming : http://www.own3d.tv/live/37149/LouckIsANoob

• Linfosoma says:

@ Belhoriann: Thank you, that convinced me to go ahead and buy the game.

• thebigJ_A says:

I just checked that stream and it was four dudes making their characters dance with the lean button. It was entertaining, but it did seem like they were bored and making their own fun.

22. Rath says:

The Knight looking characters remind of the original concept art for Hellgate. Coincidence?

23. jefmajor says:

3 full length articles, 2 twitter posts, all for this sad, derivative, glorified half life 2 mod? I sure hope you guys are getting a percentage …

• faelnor says:

Well this glorified half life 2 mod has me enjoying it much more than most “AAA” titles that came out these last years, so if RPS get a percentage, here’s to hoping it ends up earning them a huge amount of money.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Oh that cuts deep.

*Bloohoo.*

• Thants says:

The trolls seem to be increasing around here.

• MD says:

*Bloohoo.*

Quick, somebody call a waaambulance bloohoomobile for Jim!

(I know it’s a silly meme, but I reckon it might be improved by exclusive use of the word ‘bloohoomobile’.)

24. Shazbut says:

Any solid attempt at making games like this has my money

25. ZIGS says:

This is the most confusing game I’ve ever played. I don’t even know if it’s good of bad at this point

26. Lagwolf says:

Initial impressions… its ugly, buggy, laggy, freezy and glitchy. Controls are stiff, hacking is rubbish and the UI is confusing as hell. However if you are thinking of getting it get it now as its on discount this week. At full price you will not be happy. Its a pay to play beta that is priced too expensive (full) for what you get. Reminds me a bit of Chrome and that is not a good thing.

As good as Section 8 was, this is a bad. It was rushed out to beat DX: HR’s release and it ain’t ready for prime-time.

Do I regret getting it? Not sure, will get back to you on it. Would I recommend it? At the current price, not a chance.

• ZIGS says:

The more I play, the more I agree with this. I’ve been waiting for this game ever since I heard about it but… am I disappointed? I don’t even know!! Though at the time I’m inclined to say “yes”

• Typhuseth says:

There have been 2 or 3 seconds of lag here and there that i’ve come up against but I wouldn’t say it was buggy or laggy really. Certainly hasn’t frozen on me. I did have to remap a key or two to make it optimal for me to play some choices seemed random with key assignments.

Personally I’d say the UI (the whole ui, all the features etc) takes a few minutes of studying to be fully familiar with and certain features do require a bit of investigation.

The world is, in my opinion, a mix of the best 40k novels (think Dan Abnett on a good day) mixed with some good (and quite often referential) cyberpunk, I’ve found it certainly the most unique game I’ve come across in a good while, and in a good way.

Overall I’m loving it after 5 hours or so. I’d recommended it to my friends but it does require a bit of patience and learning on the part of the player, if you want a quick thrill you can pick up in five mins this isn’t for you, if you like a game with some depth that will take you a while to grasp everything it has to offer it is for you.

• SpakAttack says:

No lag for me either.
      The hacking takes a bit to get your head around, but I’ve had a lot of success with it (and have been counter-hacked)

I don’t think it’s buggy – but it is quite confusing to try and follow the plot and the politics, and the tutorial videos sometimes don’t explain everything. I could also use a bit more carry space!

• Robin says:

Hack makes sense. Just take a bit of time reading your options and the stats that are involved (cyber hp, cyber attack, and so on, just on the right of the attack list). The actual hacking won’t start until you fire the first attack (or self-enchantment), so you can take your time reading.

It’s a bit like a pokèmon fight (have you aver played a game from main pokèmon franchise?), but in realtime.

• tablesoup says:

Ugly yes – but fine. Buggy? Not come across any in the first 2-3 hrs of gameplay I’ve had so far. Nor laggy or freezy/glitchy at all.

Movement controls are fine – the rest, takes some getting used to but could have been better. Hacking is actually quite good once you get the hang of it (assuming you spec’d hacking). There is random instadeath from counter-hacks now and again but that is in line with the nature of the game. UI yes, very confusing at first.

If you like cyberpunk type games with a very dues ex feel to it – deffinately worth checking out given its low price. Not regretting my purchase yet.

27. Horza says:

So, apparently this is $9 or 18€ or £13.5
    That pricing makes no sense.

Edit: nm. that $9 price is for Ukraine. It’s $18 in the US.

• Kaira- says:

Was apparently some bug, the US price is now 17.99$ and UK 13.49£
      I’d torn off my pants Chippendale-style if the new Steam conversion rate would’ve been 1$=2€

E: damn your stealth editing

28. ZIGS says:

Some other minor annoyances I’ve found:

When you run, you get double vision, because no self-respecting game nowadays would implement running without adding some sort of eye-bleeding effect: narrowed FOV, insane amounts of blur and now double vision. It’s terrible

The font is hard to read, which is a nice complement to the terrible UI

The music is incredibly grating, I had to turn it off.

It’s dark. But it’s a weird kind of dark. Even if you turn the brightness all the way up, there’s still parts of the map that are absolute pitch black. it has to do with how lighting was implemented I guess and it’s really annoying. Yes, you have a flashlight but it’s no better than trying to light your way with the glow of your cellphone screen

Ironsights are toggle-only, there’s no “hold” option

• BadgerAttackSquad says:

I agree, the way things move/blur when you run is somewhat uncomfortable and I was disappointed to find that turning off motion blur had no effect on this.

On second thought, I agree with EVERYTHING you said. Though I haven’t been able to get far enough into the game to really comment about the music due to some motion sickness from the bobbing.

29. Lagwolf says:

Zigs: Well said and spot on. The lighting is especially frustrating. And what the hell is it with it always going blurry when you are fighting?

30. Linfosoma says:

So, am I the only one who really likes this game then? Im finding the world and the art style incredibly original. The combat is fun and the interface is easy to figure if you give it time (you are not supposed to be using all the tabs on the beginning anyway).

Im still trying to figure out how to use stealth since enemies spot me….well..on the spot. I think the use of abilities might be involved.

• Jorkens says:

No, you’re not alone. The feeling is great, but that’s true the game is a bit bugged. I personnaly would recommand it to anyone who’s seeking something like Blade Runner and who is used to play hardcore game, and who can tolerate the bugs inherent of an indie studio’s first production. Anyway, the devs are already looking at all the comments and told gamers they’ll try to react quickly on the canardpc forums.

• Robin says:

No you are not alone, I’m loving it.

• thegooseking says:

I generally like it, but the interface seems to have been made for a purely single player game. The interface wouldn’t be so bad if it paused the action, but the action continues to run in real-time while you’re playing with the interface (which it has to do because of the multiplayer), which needs a completely different type of interface.

I also ran into a bug in my first couple of hours where the text of anyone’s speech didn’t show up, leaving me to try to guess what I was responding to from the context of my response options. That wasn’t so fun.

31. Streumon says:

I confirm What Jorkens said.
    We have read your comments and we are currently working on the bugs.

32. Lagwolf says:

Actually its bit less Bladerunner (thanks to the odd monsters kicking around) and a lot more Shadowrun. Just think of the “psi” stuff as magic. I think one of the reasons it runs so terribly, despite my machine meeting the reqs to run it, is because you are playing on a server rather than your home PC. This game really is not ready for release and I resent having to pay for a beta. The further I have gotten into the more I realize how truly awful it is to play. Because I paid for it, I shall play it some more to see if it gets any better.

I love supporting indies when I can, but the quality of this game is just taking the piss. Avoid it until properly patched and fixed.

• DMANG says:

Uh, dude, it creates a local server on your home PC and you play on that. Every Source Game works that way (if you turn on console you can see it say that). Unreal Engine Games do it too…so does cryengine, so does the X-ray engine (STALKER)….

33. kud13 says:

all in all, this sounds a lot like STALKER prior to extensive patching.

i’ve bought the game already, because I want to support the devs with such ambitions as what i’ve seen in the FAQ for the game. (also because I got paid yesterday), but I won’t be firing this up until i’m done with my latest (third in a row) playthrough of another unpolished gem–Alpha protocol….

34. BadgerAttackSquad says:

Does anyone know how to turn off view bobbing? I have been unable to find a working console command, option, or config change that will do it. I literally can’t play games with view-bob like this without getting sick.

While changing FOV can help a bit, it really doesn’t solve my problem. (Just so nobody suggests it)

35. Sardukar says:

Bought it. Support indies. Support cyberpunk indies even more.

Alpha Protocol. I liked it but it bluescreened my system and achieved what no other game has done for me- BIOS reset and actual save game destruction. Had to wipe it.

• DMANG says:

No game has the permissions to do that, unless you happend to be on winXP and there was some MAJOR blunder that gave the game BIOS interrupt write rights, but that would have been public knowledge. There was an underlying problem unrelated to the game with your system. I’ve never even played the game, but don’t be spreading stuff like a game can damage your computer, as you obviously have no idea how OS permissions and low-level-write-rights work. I’m curious what the BSOD error was.

36. abandonhope says:

I’ve played the opening and first mission, and I find this game to be completely bewildering. What I noticed first was that the textual dialog is reminiscent of SNES-era JRPG attempts at wittiness that you only found barely amusing when you were ten, and it’s often diametrically opposed to the tone of the game. The fragments of story offer little in the way of character motivation or player interest, which is the first clue that this isn’t much of an RPG at all. I’m not sure what the hell this is. I was hoping for an awesome indie mix of Deus Ex and FO3/NV with the tone of Syndicate Wars. What I got was more of a foggy strange nothingness, not at all unlike the experience of stepping into Anarchy Online back when there was literally nothing to do in the game.

I’m sure the development team worked hard, but I have no sense whatsoever for what they were even trying to accomplish. All they had to do was aim for an approximation of successful RPG shooters, and they would have pleased a lot of people. As it stands the game feels completely ethereal, overwrought, and pointless (not unlike this comment). Seriously, am I missing something? Where is the RPG? This is more like a bizarre FPS with RPG elements stretched out into obscurity. And I’ve played shooters with more coherent (and believable, and compelling) worlds than this. There really isn’t much of a sense of world at all. The only thing that impressed me was some of the history in the archives. There’s probably an interesting back story somewhere in there; I’m just not sure it could ever manifest itself in any meaningful way in a game like this based on what I played.

I guess I have to trudge on and see if it gets any better, but after playing that first mission, where stealth was supposedly crucial but ended up playing no role whatsoever, I’m not getting my hopes up. I’m pretty sure I just spent $18 on an hour of boredom and a subsequent day or two of disappointment. Good value, for a turd.

• jakonovski says:

You pretty much have to buy these games with the acknowledgment that you will need to work to get into it, while overlooking a whole lot of clunkiness and bugs. Anything else is madness and inevitable disappointment.
      That said, I actually like the game. It runs smooth and has a wonderful old school atmosphere.

37. Kablooie says:

I’d love a cyberpunk game . . . . if this was just a *lil* cheaper I’d go for it. $18 USD on what’s described as a beta-level release, uuuuh, no. I’d pay $10, though. You should actually pay *me* if I’m going to troubleshoot it. Still, I’m intrigued, and love old-school shooters too (hate modern cover systems).

Going to give it some time to mature (patches) I think.

38. Lagwolf says:

Yet another example to me of why I shouldn’t buy day of release games unless I know they are solid and working. I don’t pre-order now after being burnt a few times, now its time for to patient and not buy day of release anymore.

Alas, Abandonhope has nailed this game in a very helpful description of the state of this game.

39. geldonyetich says:

Though I do want to support cyberpunk-producing indies, I also want to encourage them to release their games in a more polished state. I’ll throw it on my wish list and give it a couple months.

• geldonyetich says:

You’re a damn liar, me. I did buy the game after all, and I rather enjoy it.

I do look forward to the upcoming patches, though, as the game does have quite a few annoying little quirks, not the least of which being a tendency to crash almost every time I zone unless I’m running in medium detail.

Admirably, the developers are very active on the Steam forums and have stated that there’s a patch coming to fix just about everything. (Hopefully sooner rather than later.)

40. edit says:

So far I really like this thing. Rough around the edges, certainly, and some of the level design is a little dicey maybe, but I like what they’ve set out to achieve, and am enjoying playing through it so far. Very satisfied with my purchase and I’m looking forward to seeing what these guys produce when they (hopefully) make the kind of money from this release to provide a bigger budget for their next project.

41. Lagwolf says:

This game should not be on sale its so bad. Really, I love supporting indies, but not if they shaft their customers like this. This is not a product that is any way shape or form ready for commercial release. Its a late alpha, early beta, you should not be paying for it.

42. Araxiel says:

My first thought when reading the headline was “Wow! I remember that game. They had a video of how to kill 4 guards with a gazillion possibel approaches. Ah, good, there’s the link for the store page. Let’s see how much it co…17,99€ WHAT THE HECK? What are they thinking?”

I’m mean, yes, I have no problem in supporting indie games…that are good. But this Warhammer40k-y “Vampire:TM – Bloodlines” remake is never worth that much money. Judging from the video this seems more like a huge HL2 mod, heck, I guess if steam wouldn’t let “modders-go pro” then they would have released this on ModDB under “work in progress”. It seems to suffer from most of the source-mod diseases (bad hit detection, weapons not juicy, the objects have not quite the right “weight”, 8 year old graphics engine, using a lot of “default” textures and models etc.).

I would love to like this game, but this horrid price is just unacceptable. I would pick up this mod…uh, game, once it’s ~9€<, but with this price, never.

• Sardukar says:

I find it pretty engrossing. The price was well worth it, but then I value entertainment as compared to a similar price per hour for a novel, movie or even comic. I’m, oh I don’t know, say ten hours in including re-loads, and really enjoying myself.

I just had to quit after I spawned a clone too close to myself and it sent me flying off a bridge to my death. An amusing pause-point after my successful hack of an enemy soldier’s brain.

I’ve just upgraded my skills as well as purchasing new cyber ware, completing my medkit research and upgrading my nervous system and synthetic heart. Still saving skill points so I can summon a demon on the site of the last enemy I just exploded.

There’s a whole stealth component I haven’t explored – exploding people and cyber-speeding away is still too much fun.

43. abandonhope says:

The more I play it, the more I hate it. I really feel as though it qualifies as class-action bad, on the part of both Streumon and Steam. After browsing the developer’s site, I get the sense that a group of modders took a look at the current indie market and decided they could profit off of their hobby. Judging by the six-month release delay, I’d say they encountered problems along the way and eventually decided to publish a half-finished game.

After completing several more missions, I still don’t see the remotest sliver of an actual RPG here. The decisions you make seem entirely arbitrary, even within the context of individual missions. Nothing seems to matter. I could deal with that if the story weren’t virtually nonexistent, but it is. Seriously, even the average FPS strings together a more comprehensible story than this. It’s not even that it’s bad. It just isn’t there. It’s a bunch of nothing.

One mission, I played two different ways on separate attempts: assassination and then bribery. On the bribery attempt, I actually assassinated the target because he attacked me while I was making my way to bribe the other guy. Nothing happened when I did that. Despite all the complex fluff propping it up, I suspect that this game boils down to just the barebone missions, and even those are a complete nonsensical mess.

I really, really, really hate this game. There have been some amazing indies published recently, and this one receives the dubious distinction of being both expensive and terrible. I’ve been crapping on mainstream shooters for so long, but I really regret not buying one of those instead of this. This game is nothing more than a scam, and since I can’t get a refund, I’m going to go out of my way to prevent others from suffering the same disappointment I did.

Maybe within the next year Streumon will publish an update that fills in everything that’s glaringly absent in EYE, but my money’s on them packing up and moving on with their pockets stuffed with twenties.

• Robin says:

I think you are exaggerating.

EYE price tag is the same it was for Killing Floor when it came out (provided I remember correctly). Killing Floor was more refined and “better put together” but had less content (being also multiplayer only).
      That price for Killing Floor felt fine for what it had* (and felt better after seeing all the free content added later) and so, to me, feels still fine for EYE, which offers overall about the same (more rough and flawed, but more content).

* There is also the logic of “support” when you buy these games. I give money for something I know to be non-professional and built with 0 budget, but which has ideas I like and I want to see again in a better form.

That said.
      Discontent is fine and comprehensible: I can very well see EYE bugs, shortcomings, and issues, and non-friendly implementation, and I know a lot of people won’t like that at all.

But again calling a Class Action I think is too much.

Maybe you were expecting something different, or your expectations were too high. Al least wait for a couple of patch before casting the final wrath.

• bronze says:

@abandonhope

You can gift me your copy on steam just let me know. :)

• Vinraith says:

@bronze

If only that was how Steam worked.

44. Lagwolf says:

Abandohope: I wrote to Steam to complain. I have great respect for Steam, but this product sullies their reputation and should be pulled. I encourage everyone dissatisfied with this game to do the same.

• poop says:

if you think this game is so bad that steam would pull it you should have a look at the simulation, casual and indie categories on steam

45. Jim Rossignol says:

Okay, this game is untidy and baffling, but I have played *genuinely bad* games, and this is not of them.

46. fuggles says:

Jim, I’m torn. There sounds like a demo is being worked on (although why all games can’t just have an hour or two free on steam is beyond me) but quite a high price tag and some divisive comments. Are you going to give us more of an update on your opinion (and on stalker soup for that matter)?

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yes to both.

• DMANG says:

<20 dollars is a high price tag? You pay 15 dollars for a movie ticket for 2 hours of entertainment, 100 on a dinner for an hour of entertainment, 5 dollars on a lotto ticket for 2 minutes of entertainment.

Seriously, games are not "mass produced" You are talking about a team of 5-10 people. to give them 20 dollars to entertain you for hopefully at least 15-20 is a bargin at <$1 an hour.

47. Lagwolf says:

Its irrelevant if there are other rubbish games on Steam. I didn’t buy them, I bought E.Y.E. a game that is not ready for release in any way shape or form. Its early-beta quality at best and charting $19.99 for it is a rip-off ($17.99 is too). There are great indie games out there and they all suffer when one indie developer takes advantage of our goodwill.

• Typhuseth says:

Lagwolf are you wroking on a “If i report my opinion as fact often enough it’ll become true” mentality? Because to be honest it’s really getting old now, you didn’t like it, we get it, reiterating it further repeating the same thing isn’t adding much. It wasn’t for you, chalk it up to experience and move on.
      Perhaps you need a bit of quiet time now.

48. Dominic White says:

I can understand being left a bit cold by this game, but wow, some of the hate it’s getting is incomprehensible.

The game is poorly explained and rough, but I somehow ended up playing ~10 hours of it over the course of two days and having a shocking amount of fun. Enemy strength and spawns cranked up a bit lets me just completely cut loose as a full-armor/minigun character, and daaaaayuum is that a satisfyingly powerful minigun, worthy of Warhammer 40k

Co-op definitely has a few notable bugs (shoot someone another player is talking to and it’ll crash, and sometimes missions just spontaneously fail without explaination), but there’s definitely some fun to be had. Playing cat and mouse with a gunship while waves of self-cloning assault troops clamber over the martian battlefields is fairly intense.

I need to find out whether gunships can be hacked.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’m pretty sure people are expecting an indie Mass Effect / Deus Ex, rather than a seriously augmented Source mod.

• Typhuseth says:

Thats the nail on the head Jim.
      Edit-And to be honest pretty much everything contained in the article all these comments are on is true, so where people decided to get that idea from is anyone’s guess.

• Dominic White says:

Holy shit, RPS – what is with your spam filter!? ROT-13′d again…
      (http://www.rot13.com/index.php)

V jrag va rkcrpgvat abguvat. V’q abg rira ernq gur cerivrjf urer cebcreyl (fbeel!). V whfg sbhaq gung fbzr oraribyrag vagrearg fbhy unq tvsgrq vg gb zr sbe zl oveguqnl, fb V qrpvqrq gb tvir vg n ybbx.

Svefg V jnf pbashfrq ol vg tvivat zr 2000 bcgvbaf gb fgneg bhg jvgu.
      Gura V jnf jbeevrq ol gur jbaxl cerfragngvba naq bppnfvbanyyl tyvgpul zrahf.
      Gura V fgnegrq qbvat fghss yvxr yrncvat bss n ohvyqvat naq guebhtu n pne, pnhfvat vg gb rkcybqr fcrpgnphyneyl, Cfv-pybavat zlfrys gb qenj sver naq oynfgvat unys n qbmra thlf jvgu n fubpxvatyl cbjreshy naq fngvfslvat fubgtha naq raqrq hc ybfvat jnl gbb zhpu gvzr gb vg.

Vg’f abg ernyyl zhpu yvxr Qrhf Rk be Znff Rssrpg. Jung vg VF yvxr vf n ybj-sv Funqbjeha (shyy C&C ehyrfrg, rira) zrrgf Jneunzzre 40x. Evtug abj zl punenpgre vf cerggl zhpu n urnil jrncbaf fcnpr znevar jvgu gur novyvgl gb bppnfvbanyyl unpx qrsrafr flfgrzf. Naq gung’f cerggl sha.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

Yes, the gunships, or “Interceptors” as the game calls them, can be hacked.
      It can be very tricky due to how high they fly and the maximum range you can hack. You usually have to get pretty close underneath them to stay within range, you have to catch them when they aren’t zooming around too much, and you’ll probably need cloak or some other means to stay under it long enough to hack without getting killed.

• Dominic White says:

If you want to be a stealth/hacker character at all, the cloak upgrade is a prerequisite. The people saying stealth is impossible and broken seem to not understand the game – enemies have eyesight as good as yours. They’re not going to go ‘Hey, what’s that?’ – they’re going to shoot you. All the developer gameplay videos show that the cloak is requited if you want to sneak around.

• phlebas says:

It probably doesn’t help, then, that the cloak upgrade is something you can’t afford until a mission or two in. By which time if you’re looking to play stealth you’ve probably already tried a fair bit of sneaking around, been told off for being spotted and wondered what you did wrong.
      I’ve been playing hacker and generally enjoying it – bit of a Syndicate feel when you have a crowd of brainwashed slaves around you, though it’s annoying when they box you in and you have to cyberjump over them to get out. But the hacking side seems a bit unbalanced – losing a gunfight means waiting a few seconds for a resurrector, unless you lose it several times in a row, whereas a single failed hack can kick you all the way back to the dream lobby seemingly at random and then you have another tea break while the actual level reloads and you’re back at the start of it.

• abandonhope says:

@ Jim and Typhuseth

Based on the trailers I watched, the description of the product, and the price tag, I expected this to be a game. A “seriously augmented Source mod” isn’t really a game. It’s a mod. And although there are some interesting ideas here, I’ve played quite a number of mods that were better, and they were free. Zeno Clash used Source, and it played like a game. A great many games make use of existing engines, so the notion that we shouldn’t expect this to be a complete, polished product simply because it uses Source is false.

This is a mod passed off as a game. I actually think it deserves a lot of respect as a mod, for concept especially, but it doesn’t play like a finished product. At the risk of repeating myself, I’ll say again that I have never seen a game label itself as an RPG when it wasn’t one. The combination RPG/FPS is a genre unto itself, so when a developer labels its game as such, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for prospective buyers to expect that it plays at least something like existing titles in the genre.

I didn’t read this article before buying the game, though I wish I had, because I think it’s pretty accurate. My beef is not with RPS in any way.

And I agree with Lagwolf completely. There are so many indies that live or die through community support and pre-purchases, and when a developer misrepresents a product it damages that essential relationship. Every person who bought this game and was disappointed with it will be much less inclined to risk the same mistake again. Think of the harm that does to titles like Interstellar Marines or Age of Decadence.

• Typhuseth says:

So what you’re ultimately saying abandonhope is unless indies only chareg for entriely finished products of very high level it damages the game industry for indies? ok, pretty sure theres a large paid for indie title still in development that costs more than this….wait, the name is on the tip of my tongue… oh yeah Minecraft, thats an unfinished beta thats managed to inspire a 2d take on it too.

EYE is finished (it has some bugs, find one released game that doesn’t…go I’ll give you an hour) and as for price, lets see it costs approx 1/4 of the price of a triple a title, lets look at at a triple a shooter (as this is a shooter first with rpg elements, like Deus Ex for example) like call of duty, 1/4 of that game is hmm 90 mins of single player and a map or two fro multiplayer, does this have that? vastly more than that. Price is subjective as is, it would appear wether a team making a mod are in anyway allowed to ask for remuneration, in your arguement it seems not, and let me tell you, that will damage indie’s far more.

• abandonhope says:

Typhuseth, your arguments don’t hold up. I bought Minecraft in alpha. The difference between Minecraft and EYE is that Minecraft was represented to be alpha and beta when it was sold in those states. EYE represented itself as a finished game. Huge distinction.

Never once did I comment on EYE having bugs, so I’m not going to play straw man with you on that one. I do believe it to be an unfinished product. In the history of video games, there are quite a number of instances of games being published prior to their being completed. Technically, they were completed, because they were published, but in reality they had either an overall unfinished quality, or glaringly absent components, or unevenness to their play, or later halves that fizzled out, or any number of obvious and major flaws. This usually occurs when a product is rushed to market, due to any number of circumstances. A very famous example is Battlecruiser 3000AD. These are generally games that are not necessarily bad, but rather published in an unfinished state. That’s what I detect when I play EYE–a game that was wrapped up and sewn together with a bunch of crucial pieces missing.

$20 (or even $18) isn’t 25% of $50, or of $60 for that matter. I do agree with you that many modern shooters are a poor value, especially in terms of single-player experience. It’s why I don’t buy them. However, I don’t think it’s valid to compare a game that bills itself as an RPG/FPS with games that bill themselves as pure shooters. Despite the hybridization, they deliver vastly different play experiences.

I also never said that modders don’t deserve compensation, so that’s another straw man. I’ve donated to modders when I’ve thoroughly enjoyed their work. I think Minecraft is a great example of a game where modders seem to be working just as hard if not harder than the actual development team. Without them, Minecraft would undoubtedly be a duller experience in its current state.

I wouldn’t have a problem with EYE and the team behind it if they had described their product as an elaborate mod. I still don’t think an elaborate mod is worth $20, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with doing so. Of course, one can’t really sell a mod without getting into trouble. To sell a product that uses proprietary code, one has to actually license it. This makes your last point inaccurate–the indie market’s viability does not rely on modders being able to sell mods, because they can’t and don’t sell them. The modding and indie landscapes are two different things entirely.

After playing even more, one of the most damning things I can say about the game is that during a recent mission I either seemed to abruptly die out of nowhere, or the game crashed and sent me back to the dream world, twice after completing the same sub-objective. It is to this game’s great discredit that I absolutely cannot tell whether this was part of the game or an error. It’s not the possible bug that bothers me. It’s that, when you’re having trouble discerning game play from bugs, you’re playing a broken, incomplete game.

Lastly, I have to retract something I said earlier, about the game being a scam. I see that the development team is active on the Steam forum, and they seem to be interested in fixing bugs and adjusting game mechanics with free releases. That is an encouraging sign. The truth is, if I just thought this game was totally worthless, I wouldn’t be wasting my time here. This is the first time in more than a decade that I’ve bought a game without reading reviews first–I think that shows how excited I was for what I thought the game was going to be. I really, really hope that Streumon simply wasn’t able to implement all the features and polish that they wanted to in time, and that they’re planning to patch the game into something more complete in the future. I mean, come on, an indie RPG/FPS using Source? That’s every dedicated PC gamer’s wet dream.

49. Morph says:

2 Hours played and yeah… not loving it to be frank. I like the look of the levels and the idea of the thing more than I do the game. Impenetrable is my one word review.

Also I think someone should have told the dialogue writer that they were going for grim. Talking to a sinister looking knight who starts off with “Hey there!!!!!” is a bit weird.

Oh and it crashed to desktop when a new level loads. And loading times are high. Which combined make the ‘am I dreaming?’ bit you have to go through every time you start up even more annoying.

50. Professor Paul1290 says:

Three of us have been having a lot of fun with it, but we kind of knew exactly what we were buying. We used to have a quite a bit of fun playing co-op Syndicate Black Ops mod for HL1 and what we wanted out of E.Y.E. was essentially that mod taken further as its own game with a bigger budget and less of the things that made it annoying, and we got that and then some so we’re pretty happy with it.

Sure missions tend to have really simple objectives and the story tends to stay in the background
    On the other hand if the missions more complex or if the story had a much heavier impact on the game then it wouldn’t be as easy to start up and play with your friends out of the blue whenever the heck you wanted.
    Trying to co-op something like System Shock 2 often takes bit to start up to make sure everyone knows what we were doing last.

That’s probably the problem some people have with it. Other than the way the story is presented, E.Y.E. feels like multiplayer game that you can play single player rather than the other way around. Sure there’s a bit of a story and it’s more focused on a campaign, but it still feels a multiplayer game at heart.
    I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing though. You can start up a game with your friends whenever you want and other than learning how to play you can bring in someone new easily without having to tell them too much backstory right away.

I think some people who bought this expecting something along the lines of Deus Ex might be disappointed though.
    While E.Y.E. has several elements from such games, it’s not going to perform as well as a single player game. It’s too much of a multiplayer game to be one.

I guess a one way to describe E.Y.E. is that it feels like the Counter-Strike of an alternate reality where co-op games are more common and games like Deus Ex, System Shock, STALKER, and the like dominated the mainstream.