MLG’s StarCraft 2 Anaheim Tourney, Live

By Alec Meer on July 30th, 2011 at 8:55 am.

Major League Gaming’s latest pro-gaming tournament kicked off in Anaheim earlier today, and will be running all weekend. If you’re in Southern California, you should get yourself down to the Anaheim Convention Centre to see some of the world’s finest StarCraft II players go head to head. If you’re not local, you can watch the face-offs as they happen with the livestream below.

There are two streams, Red and Blue, which you can switch between with the button on the bottom-rightish of the video. If you’re so inclined, you can also pay for access to higher-quality streams with stuff like rewinding and no ads here.

More info about the Anaheim event and its players:

Live Stream Schedule for all games including specific matchups and casters (PDT).

Special activities and meets with pro players and casters.

Complete coverage guide with previews for all game and lists of players.

Oh, and also happening this weekend are the EVO World Championships and GSL Finals, so this is quite the weekend for e-sports. Possibly the biggest ever?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Real Horrorshow says:

I’d rather watch DoW2 Retribution, but nice.

• subedii says:

I’m a huge fan of DoW2, but I have to be honest and say with the much smaller playerbase, there isn’t nearly as much worth watching as with Starcraft 2.

Doubly so since Harlequin stopped commentating, I think he was the only really good shoutcaster the DoW2 community had.

Ah well, at least “Tales of Heroes” seems to have started up again.

Either way, I hope some of these games are put up in places where I can download them without having to watch them live, doubt I’ll be able to catch them this weekend. These days I’ve been watching more of TotalBiscuit’s shoutcasts, and that’s largely because I can download the youtube videos and watch them later. And it’s fun to watch a guy who’s not top tier since I can relate more to his gameplay (and gaffs).

• Haywire says:

Unfortunately most vods are streaming flash players behind paywalls these days, such is the price of becoming serious business.

• Arathain says:

Yeah, Harlequin is sorely missed.

• wazups2x says:

Yeah, I don’t play Starcraft 2 so I’d much rather Watch DoW2: Retribution.

So Harlequin took a new job or something?

• Real Horrorshow says:

Did Harlequinn ever give a reason why he quit or is he still just disappeared?

He was going on that trip to China and that was the last I’ve heard of him. Maybe he got thrown into a dungeon for saying “I prefer democracy.”

• subedii says:

Haha, not quite. He posted a comment on his youtube channel explaining what’s happened:

“I thought I would chime in to put to rest the conspiracy theories. I am alive and well, just very busy. All of my China business has resulted in a new job as the director of quantitative analysis, so I have taken a hiatus from gaming in pursuit of my other love – mathematics! I have been back to China several more times, and am in fact going again tomorrow. You guys are awesome, and I sincerely apologize for not being able to update. Sometimes it’s good to take a step back from the keyboard now and then thought. Cheers! ^_^”

So basically he’s busy with a new job, and we probably shouldn’t expect much more in terms of casts from him, at least for a while.

I have to say though, his cast of the “Game of the Century” was far more awesome than it had any right to be.

2. Tzarkahn says:

Only problem is the days stream finished as this post went up.

• Serious J says:

RPS is pretty quiet on the weekends so the post will stay on the main page throughout the weekend when Saturday and Sunday’s matches are going on.

• Esoteric says:

Yeah, I just found RPS not too long ago, and I wish they’d hire someone to do weekend updates to things.

• Bilbo says:

You fool, don’t you know nothing happens at the weekend!? Ever!!!

In all seriousness though, if they were to amp up the puff-pieces on slow news days and weekends any more than they already do I’d be outta here faster than you can say “Kotaku”.

• Stochastic says:

I’m with Bilbo. Besides, I think the RPS crew deserves the weekend off, don’t you? Also, they do provide some weekend news in the form of the Sunday Papers.

3. BooleanBob says:

Man why am I having to listen to obnoxious, unmuteable Lynx ads just for opening this article?

Whatever. This is cool! But Alec, you missed that Gamereplays.org are also doing their 20th big Company of Heroes tournament this weekend, which since the 2.602 patch dropped recently has been going strength to strength. It’s the first 2v2 tourney since that update, so everyone is excited to see whether Mixed Allies will finally be unseated as the dominant pairing (my guess is no, unless Seb and Contador pull off some sick stuff with dual Panzer Elites).

True, they won’t have as good streams up, just what they can cobble together on justin.tv and twitch. And the only dedicated shoutcasting is booked in for tomorrow evening. But the whole thing is being put together by the community, with nary an advert in sight. I think that’s pretty neat.

Which game is more interesting to watch is obviously a matter of taste but I’d personally go for CoH over SC2 every time.

• subedii says:

And since we’re on the topic of CoH, I may as well post a link for Tales of Heroes, which is back up and running since the new patch, and well worth watching for anyone who’s interested in Company of Heroes to see what it’s all about.

Not too many new casts yet, but they are updating. They’ve put a lot of the old casts of good matches up though.

Harlequin used to cast the odd CoH game as well, but unfortunately, seems to have stopped casting, at least for the time being.

• Vandelay says:

Thanks for the link Subedii. Just watched a couple of their Training Tuesdays and it’s pretty good. I’ve tried watching pro games of DoW2: Retribution before, but it doesn’t seem to cater to high level of play so much. I imagine CoH is a little better in that regard.

• subedii says:

I’d recommend watching Ep72a if they ever post it, it was the cast of GFW magazine vs Relic ( formerly called CGW magazine). Staff writer Shawn Elliot was a huge CoH fanboy and would always gush about it on the podcast. The game was called “relic vs 1up”.

I tend to prefer DoW2, but I think part of that is also that I entered late into CoH and had a harder time getting into the game when my friends were already a lot more experienced in it.

In general though, I think that DoW2′s multiplayer actually plays off better in team games, where CoH is more suited to 1v1′s. And 1v1′s in general are more precise and directed affairs, so in that respect, I’d tend to agree that CoH probably supports higher level play better. And pro games of DoW 1 are usually 1v1′s so visually they don’t look as striking as a game of CoH either since you’re dealing with small numbers of squads running around.

There’s a bit more to the meta-game in CoH where in DoW2 it’s more focussed on the tactical management of the individual squads (you don’t see as much blobbing up, even in team games, each squad is its own precious resource).

At the same time, I do tend to have a lot of fun in good team games of DoW2, and Team FFA is ace when you’ve got some good groups going.

I guess it’s more just a YMMV thing. The main problem with CoH for me personally is simply that it takes a lot longer to play any decent game, and games can remain in a ‘death knell’ phase for ages where it’s obvious that the enemy’s pretty much lost but you’re still playing out the finale. DoW2 is a lot faster to play even in team games, the travel times on maps tend to be shorter and the tickets count down faster so most games usually end by the 20-30 minute mark max. A good game of CoH can often run into the 50 minute mark and beyond, and it can be a bit more time consuming in that with the way that units take longer to get to their destinations before / after a retreat, and tickets count down slower. It’s just a bit too much of a time investment, it just feels more frustrating when you spend around an hour to lose a match and then you don’t have time to keep playing more matches to get a victory or two in.

I just noticed that DoW2 replays has some 2v2 and 3v3 matches up on youtube. Might have a look at those to see if they’re any good.

• Jake says:

Thanks for that replay link, I just watched the whole thing (should probably have noticed it was an hour long before I started). On the one hand, I love CoH and it’s just amazing how well it holds up – the graphics, units, tactics, everything still seems varied and fresh. On the other hand I can never play to that sort of standard and it’s depressing watching pro (or at least highish ranked) replays. I just imagine the commentators watching me play ‘hmm yeah he did that totally wrong… what the hell is he even doing right now, just seems to have managed to get his tank stuck in a river’.

4. Temple says:

Premature perspiration can be controlled -related http://youtu.be/MxW_ZCd64tg (try to watch the vid without reading the sidebar first)

If none of that made sense that is the advert *I’m* getting. Hopefully it was not an ad targetted at just me.
    I went to Firefox for new addons recently and it recommended addons on what I already had installed. For some reason it chose ‘The Lingerie Bowl’.

Actually related to the article: anyone recommend a watch time GMT for any particular match ups? Saw some last time RPS mentioned them and quite liked watching.

5. Unaco says:

“Please disable adblock in your browser”

6. evilbobthebob says:

In the meantime, TotalBiscuit is casting a European/UK tournament from Loughborough here: http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

7. iaguz says:

Very excited for this. And you should be to! SC2 makes for a great competitive experience and this is coming from a former CoH top player. Even if you don’t like SC2, do know that it has the main stage and has thousands more watching both live and on the stream then Halo: Reach and Black ops. We’re beating those silly consoles

Anyway, here are two videos from the last MLG, Columbus, considered the greatest MLG so far by the SC2 community. They both feature Koreans who came over to compete. see and feel the crowd. Is SC2 not wonderful?

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/14-hail-to-the-king MC beats a Terran who beat him a few months ago in an important tourney match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_lW97oqnw4 Interview with MMA, the winner of the event. Well, they tried to get an answer from the poor guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kBxbbtYZc Also for some chuckles, idra the American zerg. Known for Tapping out of games before playing them out properly, a source of great hilarity to some, does the best premature GG of his career. Well, one of the best.

• subedii says:

I remember that Idra one. He really is his own worst enemy.

Part of the problem was that he was the last decent non-Korean player in the batch as well, and after he summarily ragequit the crowd lost a lot of interest since it was just the South Korean all-stars competing again. Nothing wrong with that, but I suspect a lot of the crowd would’ve liked more diversity at the finale than just them, at that point you may as well be watching the Korean StarLeague.

I will say I’m impressed with how SC2′s taken off for the pro-gaming scene, Blizzard have done well to cultivate it. Before release, I was expecting that SC2 would have a much harder time getting people to transition over from SC1. But if anything, pro Starcraft is probably more well known (outside of Korea anyway) now than it was before.

• Vandelay says:

And for the post match analysis of Idra’s “gg” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s38XkXQhhhs

The stunned silence from the crowd is hilarious.

I do seem to recall an article that said SC2 has not taken off much in Korea. It certainly has done wonders in the Western gaming world though. I would like to see more RTS games attempt to emulate the competitive scene though, so that we can get a bit more variety going. I love SC2, but most other RTS games can’t hold my interest in the multiplayer and I’m not that interested in more single player RTS games, unless they have something very special. SC2′s focus on making sure every unit has a use throughout the entirety of the game is so key in what makes it work, yet other RTS games don’t seem to get this. To often, early units become superfluous after the first 10 mins of play, making it nothing more than a tech race.

• Stochastic says:

@Vandelay
      I also recommend watching this postgame analysis, also done by Day9. Funny stuff: http://blip.tv/day9tv/the-story-of-mlg-try-3-5253308 You’ll have to skip a bit ahead in the video, although if you like Day9 I recommend watching the beginning, too.

• shaydeeadi says:

Yes! I stayed up till like half 5 watching the semi finals. So many sick matches went down and loads of nailbiting finishes. I hope Wolfkrone takes it.

This guy uploaded most of the top 32 AE matches from last night, it’s MvC3, BBCS2 and Tekken tonight and finals for it all on Sunday.

• Radiant says:

Yep! Same here.

Xian’s round control going to shit vs Shiro.
      Poongko bodying everybody.
      Mago vs Valle

I kind of want Poongko to take it; dude has just been awesome to watch.

• valru says:

No doubt EVO is where its at, MLG is just a little too commercial for my taste. Fighting Games are the only “e-sport” I enjoy watching.

8. Kaira- says:

Would it be too much to ask that the streams wouldn’t start autoplaying?

9. rocketman71 says:

Let them pray that their internet connection remains stable.

Oh, and fuck Blizz. Haven’t said that in quite some time.

10. Miker says:

I know some members of the RPS community are down about StarCraft II being too much of a clickfest, or too backwards in its ways, but at the end of the day no other RTS is as fun to watch as competitive StarCraft. Blizzard catches a lot of flak for a lot of missteps with SC2 (no lan was a horrible decision), but they’ve made such a great e-sport that I can look past that for a weekend like this. If you have the time, watch MLG this weekend, I can almost guarantee it’ll be great.

Also, BoxeR hwaiting! Or if he loses, go MMA!

11. Hatsworth says:

It’s too bad it clashes with Evo.

Comment on this story