The RPS Bargain Bucket: Rolling Stock

By RPS on July 30th, 2011 at 5:54 pm.

Kieron is entering this, because JIm is at his house, and it's the only keyboard around. Sigh! At least I just won Chaos in the Old world, for the first time. PHEW. This also excuses why I missed the more tab. I had to edit all the copy to remove the e-mail formatting too. So let's hope not much else is fucked, eh?
Lewie is at Indietracks this weekend, so hello! We’re Will and Tony, and we’re here to fill in, as we do. We were originally going to make a joke about him cosplaying as Harrison Ford on a train, but then we visited the Indietracks website and evidently it does actually have trains, and now we’re just a little jealous. Luckily we have all these amazing weekend bargains to comfort us. For more throughout the week, don’t forget to chuff on over to SavyGamer.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Suffix – £3.74/$4.99/€4.99
Don’t have any friends to play the tabletop version with? Play it on your computer and ensure that your imagination doesn’t get tired out! Alec posted the other week about how the community is still keeping this alive (or, possibly, undead, ho ho) and if you’ve no idea what all the fuss is about, I’d recommend reading Jim’s piece on why it’s such a rare accomplishment: “Not many games bother with such wide open scope. Bloodlines does. And it does what a select few videogames have articulated: giving us sudden, direct access to something wonderful and alien. But it’s drama, and pseudo-social, as much as it is videogame action. It is filled with brilliant artificial people. Bloodlines allows us – like a participant in some larger soap opera – to make decisions about what might happen to those individuals. In this case, it’s always something wonderfully dark.”

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box – £4.99/$4/99/€4.99
Now, this is on Origin, and they’re doing that thing where five dollars is the same as five pounds for some reason, but in this case, I don’t care.Burnout Paradise is one of my favourite games of the past ten years, and one that I still return to even after I’d exhausted all that it had to offer. Nowhere else can you jump online with seven strangers and be chatting amicably within five minutes while barrel-rolling through an airfield. It’s a little sprawling and it has its flaws, but it has the ability to always provide you with something entertaining no matter where you are or what you do. I love this game, and it’s only five currencies. FIVE.

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition: Director’s Cut – £~6.10/$9.99/~€6.95
Isn’t it about time you played The Witcher? You’ve heard so much about it, but never really picked it up, and now the sequel’s out, and don’t you really need to play the first one to enjoy it properly? Didn’t you hear that they’d removed all the DRM and uncensored all the versions, as well as included some community-made mods into the game? Didn’t you think that under a tenner is probably what you’d pick it up for? Don’t you think that someone writing a summary of this deal in rhetorical questions is really lazy? The answer to all of these is yes.

Penumbra: Black Plague Gold – £3.50/$5.00/~€4.00
It’s Humble Indie bundle time right about now, and if you’ve been in since the start you’ll probably have a copy of Penumbra Overture sitting on your hard drive, so this is the ideal follow-up. Of course, this is assuming you weren’t too scared to finish Overture, because I heard that happened to some people who definitely aren’t me. In that case, you’d just end up with another cheap game you’re afraid to open.

Deal of the Week
The Humble Indie Bundle 3 -£Whatever you want
‘Pay-what-you-want’ is a phrase we like to hear in the bargain bucket shed of frugal living, and it would take a mighty discount to topple the return of this incredibargain as deal of the week. As Alec said, an amount of pounds and/or pence will get you Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, Hammerfight, VVVVVV and And Yet It Moves, all of which are available on Windows, Mac and Linux and register on Steam and Desura, as well as some having bonus content that was previously unavailable. Buying it now also gives you free access Minecraft until August 14th for the person who hasn’t played it yet, which probably made their day.

This deal is based on faith in the good nature of you lovely and attractive people. You have the choice of how much to give to charity, the developers and the humble indie bundlers themselves in any configuration. Yes, you could pay a penny – but everyone in this shed would be disappointed in you, and sheds should be happy places.

Also of note:
Heroes of Newerth – Free to play
The community is about as welcoming as fence made from attack dogs that bark obscenities and the learning curve is a wall that will fall on you and your teammates if you don’t climb it fast enough. However, if you can get used to the basics with fellow new players, this is a fine ‘a bit like Defense Of The Ancients’ game with lots of depth, a surprising amount of content and a big angry thunder-ape – for free!

Dino D-Day has a free weekend right now, which is not very good but dinosaurs.

Last week’s Meat Boy deal (£4.98/€6.99/$7.49) is also still available. So get that.

Don’t forget that for all the best bargains throughout the week, you can check out SavyGamer.co.uk. If you’re looking for a deal on a particular game, feel free to let us know!

__________________

« | »

1. shaydeeadi says:

Brink is currently £7.98 on game.co.uk as well.

• Sweedums says:

Hmmm I know someone who bought Brink online from Game a couple weeks back and they gave him an unsealed copy with no serial key. This may not be an accurate reflection of their general service but just a heads up, especially since they have their NO PC RETURNS policy nonsense.

• Coren says:

Great deal. I’m a bit worried about the unsealed-keyless-box story, but I think I’ll give it a shot. I’ve had no problems with GAME in the past. Thanks for the tip!

• doubledope says:

@Sweedums:
      Hmm, I don’t know about that someone you know guy, but they would never be able to get me out of the store without me having a serial key in my hands…
      Or.. it must have involved some kind of weapon that causes fallout…

[edit] missed the part where it said it was an online store… I would have send an polite email then…

• Stompywitch says:

I refused to buy Gears of War because their PC copies weren’t sealed, and I don’t trust them to not have used the code.

• Sweedums says:

@doubledope – Indeed, as I understand it he has been in contact with Game, who told him to talk to Splash damage i think, and he finally (after a few weeks) got a reply from Splash damage (or Bethesda, can’t remember which) and they need scans of the receipt/disk etc etc.

But to those who are a little worried, it’s entirely possible it is just a one off, but i figured I’d let ya’ll know anyhow.

• Zakkeh says:

On the Australian site, Brink is $70…Good to see we don’t get the shaft with game prices still

2. Phinor says:

Burnout Paradise is actually 6€. So roughly double the $ price and more than the UK price.

Not that I care about the game but I had to check the price because EA doesn’t like $1 = 1€ policy, they prefer even higher € prices.

3. Preciousgollum says:

Civ 5 is available on green-man-gaming for £6. Registers on Steam.

Edit:

Apologies, it was 70% off earlier but it appears to have ended now – the bioshock deal, described earlier on their website, seems to now be active instead.

4. Alethron says:

The Witcher Enhanced Edition is on Direct 2 Drive for £3.75

5. iLag says:

couple of better alternatives there:
    The Witcher on D2D(US) for $4.95: http://www.direct2drive.com/6763/product/Buy-The-Witcher:-Enhanced-Edition-Director%27s-Cut-Download

EDIT: (oops, looks like that deal just ended a couple of minutes ago.)

and basically -everything- but Dino D-Day. (why not Frozen Synapse for 11,24€ over at GetGames? last week’s deal is still good.)

6. icheyne says:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition has been $10 at GOG for a while.

7. Deano2099 says:

Yep, that’s not a great price for The Witcher, given that’s its regular price on Good Old Games.

8. KingCathcart says:

Capsized was a couple of quid on steam but I think it’s over now.
    Good job Will and Tony – I like the cut of your jib.

9. Arona Daal says:

Has anyone experience with Origin?
    Has it heavy DRM or the “always online Drm” on its games/shopinterface?
    Can i buy Burnout there and add it to steam,or do i need yet another Client installed?

Edit: Doesnt matter anymore,the Price at the german Ea site is twice as high.
    So much for that.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Origin also deactivates your account and removes your owned games if you don’t log in after 2 years.

I was tempted by the huge sale they’re having now but I’m not going to bother if they threaten with removal of games that I already purchased.

• johnpeat says:

Origin is just what used to be called “EA Download Manager” – the client (EADM/Origin) must be running for the games to work and no, you can’t just stick the key into Steam…

EADM had it’s bad days and some people despise it. I’ve had a few problems but nothing fatal – worse was when they added the social crap, I declined to complete it and it just bugged me and bugged me to do it – so I did it – and it STILL kept bugging me about tit!!!

• johnpeat says:

@pointless puppies – I suspect what you’ve just posted is complete and utter shite

EADM used to have a redownload limit but I’m pretty sure they removed that.

I’ve certainly had games in EADM for way longer than 2 years and they’re still showing as available for download (or installed and playable)

So – unless you have to proof to backup your claim I suggest you qualify your comments at least?

• iLag says:

@johnpeat – he might be right after all. I remember reading about that just a couple of days ago, but I cannot find the link right now. but yes, there was something.

EDIT: ah, look, here’s one link. there are more, apparently, but that should at least back up his claim: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=437578

• Spectre-7 says:

@johnpeat

Complete and utter shite?

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.

Original Source

• BarneyL says:

The two year thing in the EA terms is a minimum not and absolute maximum. It’s always been there on the EA store and so far I’m not aware of one person whose had a game taken away.
      This whole Origin FUD thing is getting tiring, go read the Steam equivalent, it states they can take anything they like away from you at any time for any reason…..

• johnpeat says:

Ah the way people rage when they read T&Cs and infer meaning into them which may (and this is an important term – may) not actually mean a damned thing.

Firstly it says ‘may’ and not ‘will’ – if you read an insurance policy or similar in the same way you’ll assume that death and destruction WILL be coming to you, it’s the way this stuff is always written and ‘may’ is very different to ‘will’.

Secondly, there’s not a single reported case that I can find of this happening to anyone. This is probably because not using a service for 2 years is fairly unlikely but it could also be because they never do it.

You cannot, realistically, expect someone to guarantee a service like this forever – it’s nice to think they wouldn’t lock you out of your games if they decide to close down/move on but it’s in no way guaranteed (that would apply equally to Steam and any other service tbh).

Also – as someone suggests on the Neogaf thread, EU DP law places restrictions on how long you can hold personal data – if someone were to register with a site and never visit it again, the site should arguably forget them in that period and that’s pretty much what those terms are suggesting may happen.

Hell, Orange bug customers who’ve not logged-into their service for a few WEEKS let along YEARS – login soon or we’ll delete your account – I actually got one of those (for the nth time) today…

End of the day I cannot imagine how anal you have to be to be reading T&Cs and then worrying about something like that over a GAME – seriously, put your research skills into something more useful and constructive eh?

• Spectre-7 says:

@johnpeat

I honestly couldn’t care about the issue, and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase something from Origin if the deal was right. I do however take issue with someone making accusations without bothering to do the 10 seconds of back-breaking research necessary to verify their claims.

If you’re going to demand proof, the least you could do is not give someone crap for providing it.

• Pointless Puppies says:

@johnpeat:

I find your hostile retorts highly amusing considering how ill-informed they are.

First of all, I suggest you read the ToS in question, because they literally use the word “will” and not “may”. Not the account, the “entitlements” (read: games). Secondly, in case you don’t know, Origin isn’t quite two years old. This isn’t going to happen to anyone (yet), but under no circumstance do I have any desire to spend any cash at a store that makes this threat.

Clearly you didn’t know about the ToS and tried to call me out on it. Just admit you didn’t know about that and end the whole “I still want to get out of this with dignity by insulting everyone” charade.

• Devan says:

@johnpeat

You’re being very hostile and inconsistent in your efforts to defend what many consider to be a detrimental clause.
      First of all, your point about the difference between “will” and “may” has some merit, except the quoted term actually says “your Entitlements will expire”; only the account cancellation part says “may”.
      I do not want to be beholden to anyone to retain access to the products I’ve purchased, no matter how much they try to spin it as a service.

Secondly, your assertion that you haven’t heard of any cases of people losing their games is not very useful since you were also so certain that the clause didn’t exist in the first place. More importantly though, even if no entitlements have ever expired from other people’s EADM accounts that is no guarantee that they won’t expire from yours.
      The T&C is important because it really clarifies that you in fact don’t own anything you pay for on that service, and as a consumer you need to consider that when evaluating whether an offer is worth the price. The same consideration should be taken for games on Steam or any other such service.

• pekbro says:

So, I purchased Black & White 2 exp. from the EA store on August 5 2008, at the time I was supposed to have 30 days to download it before it was removed, never did download it as I was likely drunk when I bought it not realizing it was an expansion to a game I didn’t actually own. Bought another game from them in December 2009, the 3rd and last purchase I made from them was in April 2011. I only ever logged onto their site when shopping for something. Today all 3 games are in Origin in addition to 2 others I didn’t even buy from them (I know all the dates because they’re listed there). Anyhow, I don’t think people need to be worried about losing their games (unless EA scraps it). The biggest problem with Origin is that its kinda boring as it only has EA games in it.

10. iuzbob says:

Burnout Paradise is 9.99€ in Germany. No way for me to buy it at that price.

• iLag says:

do not even bother with buying EA games digitally in Germany. most digital distributors don’t sell them to you and all those nice Origin deals that huge parts of the world seem to get – you won’t ever see them.

• Phinor says:

It seems Origin has individual price for each and every country. So Burnout is either $4.99, $7.95, 4.99€, 5.99€, 9.99€, £4.99. Or something else.

I haven’t seen a good discount at Origin/EA Store the whole year apart from that one single weekend when a coupon from a UK LAN event took BF3 to half-price. Well the coupon didn’t last the whole weekend like it was meant to, but still..

• iuzbob says:

Could it be gifted from US store?

11. Wounder says:

This is, likely, not the best place to ask, but does Heroes of Newerth have any solo play? Or would I be flung, in a manner weakly described as unwilling, into the frenzied maw of it’s player base?

• Tams80 says:

There is a tutorial, but it’s short. You very quickly get chucked straight in. You can’t really avoid the userbase, unless you ignore the chatbox (all busy complaining about F2P).

I was continually “pwned” with ridiculously unstoppable (as far as I could tell) special moves.

12. Jake says:

I have a request – does anyone know of a cheap way to get Blood Bowl? I got it in the Steam sales and want my friends to get it so I can beat them. I guess they will need Legendary edition.

(It’s the best game btw).

13. Tom De Roeck says:

Is there a price on From Dust PC yet?

• Xocrates says:

Steam has it at 14.99€, Gamersgate (on the days it feels like showing the US prices) has it at 14.95$, direct2drive.co.uk says £11.95

• Spectre-7 says:

Steam’s showing From Dust at $14.99. Not sure about pricing in other territories.

• Mac says:

Why is more on the PC than on the 360? It’s 1200 points there which is sub £10 depending on where you get your points from.

Looking at the US Price of $15 – this would be sub £10 if they did the conversion properly … blatant attempt to rip the UK off (again)

• dc says:

If it’s any consolation – the Euro zone gets even more ripped off ;-P 14.95$ = 10.40€; 11.95£ = 13.60€. So yeah us, we’re still getting the worst deals :D

• malkav11 says:

1200 points = $15 hereabouts. -shrug-

Sure, you might be able to get the points at a cheaper rate, that’s one of the few benefits of their existing at all. But the official pricing with the official conversion rate is identical, at least here in the US.

But even if it winds up being slightly more expensive, you can take comfort in the fact that From Dust apparently is hindered by the console graphics and gamepad interface and will reputedly look and play better on PC.

14. 8-bit says:

I posted in the forums but might as well post it here too. there is a bundle deal on a site called appsumo with Plants vs zombies, Aztaka, City Rain, EmberWind, Desktop Game Arcade, Lugaru, Vizati and Crystal towers 2 for 33$. they are calling it the badass gamer bundle and the last time I looked the deal was available for at least two more days.

the site asked me for my email the first time I went there (wouldn’t let me in without it), but now it seems it wont let me in unless I am a member :? well if you can be bothered with the hassle I don’t think its a dodgy site or anything, just annoying.

15. Xan says:

I can’t see the deals on Origin
    Seems half of Europe is excluded from the sale.
    Fucking fantastic… we live in a fucking digital age where I can talk to anyone on the world, order goods from anywhere in the world and fucking EA won’t sell me a bunch of games at a sale price because I’m not in a selected country, even though I can buy those games normally, just not at sale price.
    Fucking bullshit.

edit: tldr; WHY U NO WANT MAH MONEY EA?

• gwathdring says:

I can’t find the sale items on Origin in the US either, even though the sale is valid over here. I have to browse through all of the games or magically know which ones are on sale. Maybe the client version is different from the website in that respect. Or sort by price, but that just tells me what’s cheapest rather than what’s discounted. It’s a bit silly.

• Jason Moyer says:

The only reason I knew Origin was having a sale, is because they emailed me a direct link to it.

16. Xiyng says:

I don’t know why anyone would get The Witcher for $9.99 on Gamersgate when the regular price on GOG.com is $9.99. IIRC Gamersgate requires an activation for every game during install, something GOG.com does not. Besides, GOG.com is owned by the sister company of the devs of The Witcher (or something like that) so I’m guessing more money goes to the devs that way (or at least less money goes to a party that “doesn’t deserve” it).

17. timmyvos says:

Practically the entire Paradox catalogue (including Sword of the Star, Hearts of Iron and Mount and Blade!) is 50% of at Gamersgate (and a bunch of other sites but Gamersgate is part of Paradox so the devs get the most there).
    Check it out here:

18. sinister agent says:

If you do decide to play Burnout Paradise, make sure you have plenty of time to sit through the interminable unskippable intro and tutorial bullshit first. I tried to play it ages back and it took so long blathering on about nothing that I gave up and killed it from task manager in favour of Flatout 2, which instead acknowledges that you’re playing a racing game, so just lets you start a game from the off without feeling the need so spend five minutes explaining what each menu does first.

It might be a great game. I’ve no idea.

• Heliocentric says:

I honestly don’t remember any intro gubbins… maybe I got up and made a snack. Its much better than flatout 2. Empirically, it was proven with science.

• Devrey says:

Skipping a game just because the intro and/or tutorial takes too long? Tsssk, kids these days. No patience whatsoever. And I actually don’t recall and overly long or tedious intro/tutorial.

I was a big, big fan of Flatout, but Burnout Paradise is way, way better. The racing part is at least on par and usually better than in Flatout. And if you just want to muck about, it’s even better than those Flatout minigames.

Seriously, hand in your pc gaming badge.

• Vinraith says:

Yeah, all the Burnout games have annoying unskippable intros, but as Helio says just get up, grab a drink/snack, and come back. They’re only a couple of minutes long and no one said you had to watch them. The game itself is a blast, don’t let one bit of stupid design put you off it.

• sinister agent says:

I happen to have more patience than Job (just last night, I tried to connect to Ubisoft’s atrocious online service well over 120 times before losing count and eventually giving up, for example), but only when I can see a reason to be patient. I had dozens of other games I could be playing instead of sitting there like a muppet for 10 minutes, one of which was a racer I hadn’t played much. The only sensible thing to do was wearily sigh, kill the game, and play something that … well, that would actually let me play.

It wasn’t even just introduction – it was pointless, lengthy blathering about every single menu screen and about how a race works. IT’S A RACE. All you need to know is which button is ‘go’ and you’ll figure the rest out in no time. And it was all unskippable, which is the far greater sin than mere length.

Seriously, hand in your pc gaming badge.

If the makers were so hopeless that they screwed up one of the most basic parts of the game, I don’t see why I should bother expecting them to get the complicated stuff right. I wouldn’t order food from a chef who couldn’t even fry an egg, like.

“It’s on PC” is no excuse for objectively bad design choices. This kind of thing is so basic it should have been eliminated 10 years ago.

Sure, it might get better, and I might one day be bored enough to give it another chance. But in the meantime, I have many, many other games that do not feature such massively cretinous flaws, and they deserve to be played first.

19. Burning Man says:

Very nice writing style, Will and Tony, fits right in with the RPS vibe.

20. Flobulon says:

I’ve missed Kieron’s alt-text :’(

21. patricij says:

Nothing for me this week, so I bought myself some gold for World of Tanks…I need that M7, I do!!!

22. iLag says:

Oh, look: SWAT 4 Gold is up for $4.95 on Direct2Drive(US)

it’s still a wonderful, tense game.

23. dc says:

Humble Bundle 3 just added Steel Storm: Burning Retribution. For free for everyone who already bought it :) Nice addition, TB had a nice little go at it ->

Comment on this story