Ctrl Alt DESTROY: Hard Reset Screens

By John Walker on August 2nd, 2011 at 2:02 pm.

SPLODE! SPLODE! SPLODE!

Why, twas only Sunday that Alec brought us the in-game footage of Hard Reset – the PC only shooter from Polish Travelling Wilburys-like developer best-of, Flying Wild Hog. Made up of developers from People Can Fly, CD Project and City Interactive. And today, for those who find moving pictures distracting and upsetting, I’ve some still images of the game in action. And for once the word “action” is actually appropriate. Okay, for one of the four, anyway. One other has some action. The other two would be rejected by any editor if you tried to submit them with a review.

It’s crazy that this game is slated to release in September this year. We only found out about it on the 30th June, and then it was a screenshot without a name. A by Odin’s knees it looks splendid. Here are the new screens in order of worth looking at, starting with the worthmostiest:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. ZIGS says:

Did they really had to make the HUD that huge?

• Dowson says:

I kind of hope the constant ‘holy shit huge HUD’ might make them scale it down before release.
      Its frightfully large.

• Yosharian says:

I think it’s brilliant!

• Anton says:

I find the color scheme of the HUD, especially at the last 2 screenies, quite distracting. Seems it has that reggae flavor to it. =P Is the protagonist a Rastafarian? =P

• RaytraceRat says:

If the Angry Internet Men ™ can only grumble on the UI, that means the rest of the game looks really good.

• westyfield says:

The HUD is bloody massive, and it probably doesn’t need to be, because with all the different colours it’s really eye-catching anyway.

• Pointless Puppies says:

No, it means the UI is such an eyesore it’s the only thing they can talk about.

• BathroomCitizen says:

I love that HUD. Nice colours, although I think that it seems so big because the screens aren’t really took at fullscreen.

• Wulf says:

I like a big UI, it helps me out since I have poor sight. Perhaps a UI scale option would suit everyone?

And is there something wrong with Rastafarians?

• Tatourmi says:

First thing I thought was: Wow, that HuD looks amazing, solid and lively, as opposed to pretty much every other fucking hud in existence. And it seems, from the screenshots, to bounce too.

• LionsPhil says:

Given the video, the worst thing about the HUD is that it shakes, simultaneously saying “LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, I’M THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE SCREEN” and making itself useful to actually read information from.

You can see some of it in the first screenshot, in fact. MOTION BLURRRGH.

2. PatrickSwayze says:

There are going to be more guns right?

While it sure looks destructive I will get bored playing playing with the Quake 3 Plasma gun all over again.

• wccrawford says:

Considering that there are 3 different guns in the pictures provided, yeah, I’m pretty sure there’s more than 1 gun.

• sidhellfire says:

There are two. Shotty (probably), and vivid plasmaball

• JB says:

Nope, wc was right, there are three in those pics.

• sidhellfire says:

I must admit being deceived.
      The first one is probably the one you’re thinking as one of kind. The truth is, that’s it’s just a variation of the 3rd and 4th.
      Because it’s being moved backwards cause of silly recoil or explosion near it is tricky to distinguish similarities from differences. Notice same “front sight” that is just spread wide on first screen. The same body model, texture, and even same shell ejection port (most likely) and just replacement of Colt-like carrying handle with iron sight for a… well it’s fantasy weapon so nevermind. The only significant difference is that on first screen it has two barrel configuration.

3. Mr Pink says:

Headline win.

4. magnus says:

‘Traveling Wilburys’ – wrong supergroup. Fantomas? Now that’s a better choice.

5. Ham Solo says:

the HUD may seem big, but look where it is. Only in the lower left corner, not everywhere like some other games’ HUDs.

6. shoptroll says:

How is that a “huge” HUD? That’s smaller than most FPS games HUDs from a decade ago!

• Dominic White says:

I think people must be judging its sized based on the cropped screenshots. Look at the full-sized ones – it’s pretty small, and mostly transparent.

It really isn’t big. At all.

7. Tom De Roeck says:

This game makes me long for Prey 2.

8. doktorfisch says:

I’m waiting for the game in which the guns don’t take up one-fourth of the entire screen.

• diebroken says:

You could always play Dark Forces, that had the Dark Trooper Assault Cannon, which took up at least a 1/3 of the play screen. XD

• Fumarole says:

Ghost Recon has no visible weapon models (your own at least).

9. WPUN says:

I prefer Flying Buffaloes over Flying Wild Hogs.

10. fenriz says:

how strange, i’d say the last is the most interesting and makes you wonder about exploration and vehicles, and god forbid, interaction with the ambient.

Can i ask about the non-combat related activities? Cause, you know, i’m neither eleven nor norwegian.

• Shazbut says:

“Can i ask about the non-combat related activities?”

HA!

• fenriz says:

there has to be something!

Beside shooting and adding numbers in places so you can shoot better.

11. Eukatheude says:

Can you talk to the monsters?

12. SilverSilence says:

dat jpeg compression

13. manveruppd says:

Bit of an inauspicious title, “Hard Reset”. Bodes of BSODs aplenty…

14. ArcaneSaint says:

‘Hard Reset’, this name’ll give them trouble on the bug support forums.
    Some guy needing help: “Hey, my pc freezed while playing this game, what am I supposed to do?”
    Forum: “Try a hard reset”
    Some guy needing help: “But, I was already playing that when it froze and I can’t run it now”
    Forum: “o_0″

15. Teddy Leach says:

oooooOOOOOOooooo.

16. Text_Fish says:

Like it. Like the robot things. Hope they don’t ruin it by introducing a malevolent human enemy later on that was really behind the whole thing after all that blah blah blah blefijlsa frhvnka zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Wulf says:

Hey, that actually worked pretty well for Phantasy Star II! I’ll admit though that PS II was really kind of clever about it.

I will admit though that PSP2 was less clever about it and likely falls in with what you’re talking about here. But there they even went so far as to make humanity into some form of energy-being-cyber-angel-things. So there you go.

Still a good game, though.

/ramble

17. Burning Man says:

Bloody hell people have such vastly different opinions.

It amazes me how anybody manages to sell anything. Or maybe it’s just that all the hard cynics have soft emotional centers, and while the same common themes apply to everyone, it may or may not manifest in immediate verbal acknowledgement/praise.

I like studying people.

• LionsPhil says:

Or maybe it’s possible to sell things to less than everyone, or even less than half the people, and still turn enough of a profit to keep doing it.

18. SuperNashwanPower says:

This looks like a game I once played that had men with guns that you shot with guns. True story.

19. ttcfcl says:

I love in-game huds.

20. Navagon says:

Not a lot to go on, but it is looking distinctly Painkiller-ish. Not that that’s a bad thing. But I get the impression that anyone expecting any real depth from this one won’t be too happy with it. I’ll probably like it a lot though.

21. sinister agent says:

Will you or any friendly characters at any point cry “Die, bad robots, die!”?

This is an important matter.

22. Ruffian says:

where’s the npcs? one thing that makes all the screens I’ve seen seem weird. Empty town fulla robits.