Eurogamer Say: Borderlands 2 Is Being Made

By John Walker on August 2nd, 2011 at 12:08 pm.

This man knows the secrets.

Eurogamer, the crazed news sniffing addicts they are, have caught wind of the development of Borderlands 2. There have been rumours for a while, and Randy Pitchford even told EG that they would likely be returning to it at some point post Duke Nukem Forever. But how do they know it is definitely being developed now? A “source” told them. Suspicious. The real truth is below.

Of course there’s no “source”. That’s the lie Eurogamer tells to cover up their practising of witchcraft. Tom, Ellie and Oli all stand around a cauldron, cowls covering their faces, as they chant and wave their arms over the bubbling surface of the noxious liquid. When their spell is complete, and the foot-skin of the relevant developers is stirred into the pot, the surface shimmers and then shows them an image of what that particular studio is currently working on.

It’s a practise that has long been frowned upon in games journalism, ever since Amiga Format began the dark art. Sadly there doesn’t appear to be any sign that Eurogamer will stop, and any who have tried to intervene have mysteriously had boils appear on their faces, and all their hair fall out.

No more details about the game are yet known, and 2K haven’t gotten back to Eurogamer yet to confirm their darkly-discovered information.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. ran93r says:

Need.

That is all.

2. Shakermaker says:

The first Borderlands had so much potential, but it lacked in a couple of essential areas, for me at least. I had wanted more multiplayer functionality, a seemless world, more variety in enemies. Plus it wasn’t a very good PC port.

• Magnetude says:

I played it on xbox and got the feeling that it was a bad console port of a good PC game. It felt horribly clunky, but very promising. Some weapon customisation would have been nice (useable sniper rifles were so rare), either improved vehicle sections or none at all, and more/smarter enemies. Otherwise, solid game. Be interesting to see what Gearbox do to save face after DNF.

• UncleLou says:

@Shakermaker

Agreed – I liked it a lot, but I never was entirely happy with it. The confusing world and map (I never quite got how it was supposed to be connected, it felt like a bunch of levels rather than a coherent world), the balance that was totally off (changing between too easy and too hard, never feeling quite right), etc.

And I really wish it had proper armour, it’s no loot-em-up unless my character looks increasingly menacing. How much sense that makes in a first person game is of course up to debate, admittedly.

• Kdansky says:

- More diverse lands and enemies.
      - Guns that are actually useful. Shotguns with 1 shot per reload are just crap.
      - Less bullet-spongy. I spent so much time running backwards, shooting four clips of 30 bullets each into a single enemy.
      - Don’t move my viewpoint when I reload my gun, for fuck’s sake. This one is an instant no-buy for me. Yes, you can obstruct my view with my gun (to a point), like L4D does it. But don’t make me dizzy!
      - Less sterile story and characters.
      - Vsync option.
      - No head bob option.
      - Skill trees with more skills in them. And don’t make me button mash to attack. I don’t need more RSI than I already have.

But except for these (most of them are utterly trivial!), go for it!

• Gnoupi says:

I quite liked the first Borderlands, particularly the guns. So many guns, and with some “personality”. You don’t only pick your weapon from its damage counter, you also have different feels. I often turn down a new gun if it doesn’t feel as “right” as the previous one, for me.

The “bullet sponge” effect, I had at the beginning, but not so much when I acknowledged the fact that this game is highly dependent on the level difference between you and the enemy. If the enemy is 2, 3 levels more than you, forget it, you will spend 5 minutes shooting at it.

It is disturbing at first, because it goes against the FPS player’s uses: “I evaluate the group, my weapons, I can take them”. In this case, level really matters, it’s closer to a RPG in this field.

• Jeremy says:

UncleLou, I totally agree. Every good RPG that I love let’s me play dress up with dolls.

• _Jackalope_ says:

Had no problems with muiltiplayer, but I did buy it ages after the patches were released. My issues were with the DLC not working. Had to deactivate both my antivirus and firewalls to get them to work. The bloody irony is that I only have one friend who has Borderlands but he never has any time to play.

It did feel like a massive grindfest at the start but after three or four hours and reaching levels higher than 15-20 and adjusted my play style, it’s a lot of fun.

• MattM says:

You had to do some annoying tweaking, but it was possible to increase the FOV. The default was so narrow on a widescreen monitor that I felt like I was constantly zoomed in. After increasing the FOV the game felt much better. You could also enable AA and AF from the nvidia driver panel although any AAA game (or even 2nd or 3rd tier games) should have those options available in-game.

3. Symitri says:

You needed witchcraft to make the first game’s multiplayer work, which was a shame because it was the only time it was fun. All they need to do is fix how easy it is to set-up a multiplayer game, hopefully by foregoing gamespy, and the game is a must-buy.

Then again, after DNF I’m not sure I trust Gearbox to make such a sane decision.

• Juan Carlo says:

This is true. But since DNF was steamworks, hopefully BL2 will also be–which would greatly simplify multiplayer.

• Aemony says:

…? UPnP was implemented in the first patch, since then playing online has been as easy as logging in to the online segment and joining a random game. Or that is at least what me and all my friends have experienced after a ton of hours having fun playing the game together online…

• Gnoupi says:

DNF was not really the work of Gearbox to begin with. They most likely inherited most of the thing with a “plz finish for 2011 kthxbye” post-it.

(That doesn’t excuse everything, of course, but still)

• graybandit says:

While Gamespy was a truly horrible multiplayer choice, they did fix almost all the networking problems with the first or second major patch. Gearbox actually did a fantastic job of listening to PC customers on what to fix in patches, and kept updating (even with free level cap bumps) when releasing DLC, not just firing and forgetting a bunch of for-pay crap. The DLC behaved much more like the expansion packs of yore, actually adding huge chunks of content to the game.

4. Juan Carlo says:

I’m pretty sure that the original borderlands is the most bought, but least played, game on steam.

All my steam friends have it, but no one has played it more than 3 hours.

• Andy says:

I’d tell you that my current play time stands at 171.6 hours (without my having gone back to play the robot revolution dlc) but that seems a touch embarrassingly large…

• KillerB says:

Im on playthrough 2 right now, not sure how many hours but its still fun! Zombie Island of Dr Ned has to be my Favorite DLC of all time!

• Tei says:

I have played it 116 hours.

• Chris D says:

I don’t feel quite so bad about my 140 hours then.

• Xocrates says:

At 99.3 hours, it’s my most played game on Steam by a fair margin.

• StuffedCabbage says:

I’ve managed 228 hours on this gem of a game. LAN support is the main reason for the marathon run. If it wasn’t for LAN connectivity then I’m not sure I would have played it in multiplayer. I’ve never played it with strangers. I’m not saying this game is perfect, but it is a lot of fun to play with friends.

• Juan Carlo says:

lol, I guess none of you all are my friends on steam, then.

• werix says:

yep, between solo, and playing with all my friends, I’ve clocked 270 hours on the game. More than any other game I have on steam. The next closest is FO:NV and BC2 tied with 160 hours. I found the game great overall to have kept going back to it with friend after friend after friend, but I will nth the bullet sponge comment, especially in the General Knox DLC. It always seems liked in that DLC the enemies took way to much to kill unless you used caustic weapons, and if you run into the toxic troopers, just forget about it.

• graybandit says:

I am almost ashamed to say I have 524.6 hours in Borderlands on Steam. Also, I bought it after having play nearly 100 hours on a pirated copy. I then paid full price for every DLC, and bought a second copy of the game off of GFWL to use without DLC for testing.

>.> I have problems with being a loot whore.

• Morph says:

152 here. I’m guessing about 100 co-op and 50 solo. Love it.

• Dirtyboy says:

526 hours played here. Best played with at least 2 others.

5. ZIGS says:

Hopefully this time the PC version won’t be terrible

• Wunce says:

I was playing it before and I haven’t noticed any poor port problems, other than the lack of a vsync option.

• ZIGS says:

Lack of AA, narrow FOV, dreadful menus, etc…

• Gnoupi says:

The inventory, in fact the whole in-game menu in general wasn’t really an ergonomic marvel. It was clearly designed for a gamepad, and quite a pain to navigate with a mouse.

But other than that, no “port” issues.

• Malcolm says:

The lack of AA was also a bit of an annoyance (but this may have been AMD (nee ATI) cards only).

• Mistabashi says:

The lack of AA support isn’t down to poor porting, it’s a common issue with UE3 games under DX9 which presumably comes from the use of deffered shading.

6. Skeletor68 says:

Really enjoyed the original. More please!

7. Jake says:

Hooray. Loved Borderlands so much. Hopefully they will ditch some of the slightly odd ideas about having the play the same content twice, and being able to out-level some content by mistake if you do things in the wrong order.

8. CaptainHairy says:

All I want is more Borderlands, I’ve gotta say. A better PC port would be nice, but other than the FOV issue, everything including the godawful networking seemed to be fixed in relatively short order in the first game, so just more of the same would be pretty nice.

Anything to get me back into the shoes of Brick.

9. Astatine says:

Hooray! I loved Borderlands. I’ve *dreamed* of the damn thing…

10. aeromorte says:

Godspeed Eurogamer and let ther be know we all belive in Borderlands 2 and we shall wait for beer cookies and the realese date

11. Vandelay says:

Technical issues aside ( I must admit, I never experienced any issues with the multiplayer not working, but many did,) the first Borderlands was ace. I hope the sequel makes the characters a bit more unique and diverse, as well as adding more skills for each. I also would like to see the ability to mod weapons and items. Basically, make it more like Diablo in first person in space.

12. westyfield says:

This is good news indeed.

Heyo!

13. Burning Man says:

YAHAHAHA BOOOORDERLANDS!!

sorry.

14. KillerB says:

Loved the first, will no doubt love the 2nd! Cant wait!

15. LTK says:

Borderlands had excellent gameplay, a shoddy UI and a lackluster plot. If they can fix up the UI I will be very happy with a Borderlands 2.

16. JuJuCam says:

RPS: Blowing open the Eurogamer Cauldrongate scandal, one mysterious source at a time.

17. Anjiro says:

Good news, the first one was surprisingly well made.

18. Avish says:

Hopefully they’ll make a better single player this time.
    As a single player player I fount the single player playing to be quite boring after a couple of hours.

19. Casimir Effect says:

Proper singleplayer would be nice this time. First game had so much potential and a wicked sense of humour when at its best, but having near every quest given to you via a textbox killed the mood entirely.

• Angel Dust says:

Yeah, the majority of the, surprisingly amusing (I wasn’t a fan of the pre-release stuff), dialog being given via textboxes was a real mood killer. It was especially maddening since the voice actors they did have were actually really good.

20. AbyssUK says:

‘sources’ and ‘witchcraft’… isn’t that what the NotW journalists did ??

21. BobsLawnService says:

I can’t say I’ll be lining up for this. I wanted to enjoy it but it just felt like a chore. I hated the enemy respawns and the lack of variety in the game.

22. Rii says:

lol, Borderlands rip-off much?

23. mrpier says:

Good news. Hope they tinker a bit on the singleplayer side, and make an ending that’s worth something.

• Skeletor68 says:

Yes, I think this was a game that had a distinctly disappointing end game. The rest of the game was so much fun I think the boss fight really ruined it.

24. elmuerte says:

I hope it will get a stronger story, and more interesting and active world.

25. Vexing Vision says:

I enjoyed Bordlerands on the third attempt – playing the Siren character suddenly clicked, as both the Soldier and the Sniper bored me.

Really enjoyed it, even on my console – I can’t vouch for how horrible the PC port was or is.

26. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Borderlands single player was fine. So many game styles and possibilities. Multiplayer just as fun.
    If devs can match the quality of the first, with a few minor changes/improvements here and there, Hippo will be very pleased.

27. UnravThreads says:

I might get BL2. I didn’t play the first – No, couldn’t – because it made me feel very ill.

If BL2 is cured of that, I may give it a try.

28. I LIKE FOOD says:

I´m going to purchase this if they get the FOV for pc right. Damn that was a bitch in the first game.

• DarkByke says:

Use config program?

• I LIKE FOOD says:

Are you a pirate? Not being rude just asking. I bought Borderlands at full price and it me made me puke because of the fov. I don´t want to rely on hacks to play the game I bought at full price.

• Daddy Fat Sax says:

you act as if it’s a big deal to change the FOV in Borderlands

load Borderlands config editor>change the FOV(it even has recommended values listed for different aspect ratios)>play Borderlands with better FOV

• DarkByke says:

What? It’s posted on their official forums… Most configs edit values already within the game like you would with console enabled. It’s legit. Tons of games have them, such as brink and Crysis 2.

• UnravThreads says:

I think the point they’re trying to make is that you shouldn’t have to screw around with config files to get the game into an acceptable POV. I’ve heard a number of times that Borderlands makes people ill (Including myself), so why Gearbox never fixed it in a patch is beyond me.

They could have done what Valve did and add an FOV slider in the options menu at the very least.

29. jymkata says:

I wonder if this is the mystery game that HAWP-writer and RPS-mentioner Anthony Burch has been working on.

30. JonasKyratzes says:

I want this. So. Much.

31. Myros says:

Borderlands was one of the rare games (these days) that I actualy completed … through multiple difficulty settings. Something about it just hit the spot. Good to hear they may continue the series.

32. Kollega says:

Borderlands 2, huh? I’ve only gotten to playing through the first one with a proper four-man team. But considering that they’ll need at the very least two, or maybe three years before they can release it, i still have a lot of time to blast through the GOTY Edition of the first one a few times.

Now, what i want from BL2 is more of what made it great. More types of guns (elemental sprayers would be nice, for instance), more possible combinations of parts, more legendary weapons, more varieties of enemies, more models of vehicles, more new environments – from a frozen Alpine plateau to pseudo-Carribean islands. I want weapon crafting and cosmetic items. I want Gearbox to iron out the imperfections – make enemy levels more flexible, make a better interface (a trading option or more precise sorting controls would be really nice), and make a good multiplayer from the start, not through patches. I want it to be bigger… louder… better. Let’s just hope that Gearbox can deliver on our expectations.

• Vandelay says:

Speaking of the DLC, is there any pack that contains the lot? I’m sure I’ve only seen them individually, just the first two or the GOTY edition of the game. I’m sure the GOTY version is probably the cheapest way to buy the DLCs, but it just seems wrong when I already own the game.

33. Anthile says:

Space marine is a spy. Somebody had to say it.

34. DarkByke says:

You guys do know there are config programs stickied on Borderlands gearbox forums for editing such things as FOV, vsync, text size of items, AA, etc!

Also ones for resetting glitched quests.

35. Jimbo says:

They know because Borderlands sold about 3 million copies.

36. Sepulchrave76 says:

The worst thing about Borderlands, as somebody further up stated, was that the difficulty fluctuated maddeningly between either too-easy, or too-hard. I’ve always enjoyed fighting my way through Old Haven, because the difficulty kicks up a notch there and it feels just right in terms of challenge and reward. Definitely a patchy game, to be sure, but rock solid.
    Having said that, I could reel off a big list of things that don’t feel quite right in Borderlands, but it’s a game I’ve enjoyed (80 hours played for me) so I don’t wanna.

37. riku0116 says:

Surely I can’t be the only one who was pissed at the hold to ADS…

38. Torgen says:

Sounds like all those griping about balance and crappy weapons didn’t really catch on to the fact that the guns are randomly generated. Don’t like what you have? Open another weapons locker. Borderlands is by far one of my favorite games of recent times, and I have all the DLC except Moxxie (which really are old school expansions, except Moxxie’s.) The only reason I stopped playing (usually coop with a friend) was that I thought my saved game info was in my steam folder, not an invisible folder in /user, and lost all my characters.

Comment on this story