Rage: A Hands-On Preview

By Dan Grill on August 2nd, 2011 at 3:00 pm.

(Click the images in this feature for full sized shots.)

I am a ark survivor! A proud child of the late Mother Earth, dispatched into hypersleep to escape the meteor inbound to pummel Gaia. Our deep-buried pod is one of hundreds of such! When we wake we will show that mankind has learnt from the mistakes we made on our original home. We shall spread enlightenment and humility through the stars until the heat death of the universe! I have a spanking new jumpsuit!

I sleep and wake. Over a hundred years have passed while we dreamt. The other colonists seem rather emaciated inside their pods. Life-support seems to have experienced an error. I inspect the wide variety of desiccated corpses that were my crewmates and establish that man’s progress towards galactic oneness has hit another roadblock, one that only I can overcome. I randomly bash buttons on the computer until the hatch pops and stride out manfully into this brave, new world.

I put my velour-clad fists on my manly hips and survey the planet. It looks rather like Earth, but Earth having been hit by a meteor. It’s mainly rocks and craters; worryingly, there seems to be an awful lot of development; derricks, pipes, rusting machinery. Hmm. ‘Someone’ got here first.

I am rapidly introduced to ‘someone’, who jumps on me, chimplike, wailing to a nearby cohort. He’s about to finish me when two shots ring out and they both drop. He introduces himself as a friend, Dan Hagar (wasn’t he the mayor of Metro City?) and gets me into his ramshackle dune buggy for a quick escape. The chaps he shot were from the Ghosts, the local gang of degenerates. Apparently, my Ark jumpsuit marks me as valuable property when sold to the Authority. Oh, brave new world, that has such men in it.

We get back to his home town, Hagarville, passing a bunch of Ghosts on the road. Hagarville is a small guarded compound which seems to be populated by a handful of people, all with the name Hagar, but if they’re related I’m a pope shitting in the woods; one’s pretty as sin, but another looks like his eyes have been put in upside down. Dan asks me to secure the safety of these throwbacks against the Ghosts, who will have found the bodies of the chaps he bulletised. I ponder it.

Instead my first action, as that special type of dick who sees something beautiful and has to break it, is to try to deviate from Rage’s breadcrumbed route. My initial attempt has me turn my new quadbike away from the Ghosts, off into the first of the two other roads open to me; I bounce along the canyon road for a good five seconds before I see a fortified gate and something bright heading my way, rather fast. Seconds later, in an experience that becomes familar to me, I’m flying through the air, blown skyward by the rocket that turned my quadbike into Meccano.

Miraculously surviving the crash, rockets and machine gunning, I walk back to Hagar’s compound, where another quadbike is waiting for me, no questions asked. Again, I ignore the established imperative and drive try to to walk into a intriguing area called ‘the Wasted Garage’. I sneak up and murderise two Wasted gangers who are talking to themselves, but am foiled by a door, which requires a lock-grinder – or ‘key’ as it used to be known. At this stage, the game is looking rather linear, but then this is meant to be tutorial.

I give in and follow Dan’s instructions. Returning to the site of the crash, I find the Ghosts’ compound; the person who decorated it really needs to move away from the skull motif. The base is a series of caves on a cliff-edge, crammed with crap and machinery. And Ghosts. The Ghosts move unpredictably, so it’s rather hard to hit them if you lose track of their animation. I’ve only got a Settler pistol at this stage, so this is a rapid succession of headshots and fist-driven beatings, before I get to the compound of the Ghost Boss.

At which point, I’m stunned and captured.

And taken to the ‘killing room.’

And killed. Which comes as something of a shock.

More of a shock to the Ghost Boss, to be honest. It turns out that the automated Ark suit revival process (where you have to synchronise two crossing circles to restore your health) electrocutes everything in the area immediately round you when you die. Which was lucky!

I head out and infuse the rest of the Ghosts with lead, then head back to Hagarville on my newest trike.

The next series of quests involve another small town (more comparable in size to a large armoured house or caravanserai now I think about it) consisting of the Outrigger family – basically a family of engineers, covered in hats, goggles, dungarees, work boots, and the occasional robot limb – who send me off on quests involving the Wasted gang, who live in a garage in the dam between them and Hagarville. Whereas the Ghosts were agile, the Wasted have a propensity to pepper you with shots and grenades, using the junk in their garages as cover, before rushing and clubbing you en masse.

To get in though, you need to start using the crafting system; basically, you need to grab all the crap that’s lying around and certain combinations make certain items; it’s very MMOlike. Using some cogs and some other crap, I knock up a lock-grinder; these are one-use mechanical lockpicks that you can choose to deploy to get into special rooms or doors. I also get enough cash to buy myself a new gun, a monocular (which turns the basic pistol into an extremely silly low-powered sniper rifle), and a shotgun.

Once inside, I make my way down through the Dam then through a series of rooms that are full of junked cars. Gradually, I acquire all the bits I need to get the battered old jalopy in the Hagarville compound up and running. Reaching the bottom of the dam offices, I have to face off against an armoured car (which I grenade to death, forgetting to try the Krull-style throwing weapon at all), which dies slowly.

With all the parts for the jalopy sorted, I’m handed a sniper rifle and asked to make a supplies run to Wellspring, the nearest large town. I head out in the jalopy, directed the way I got blown up earlier. I stop just outside rocket range, and slowly snipe all the enemies off the fortified gate at the end of the canyon, before driving hell-for-leather to Wellspring.The vehicle handles passably, though I suspect that the drift mechanic works much better on a pad; controlling it on keyboard is just confusing.

Wellspring is a good-sized town from a Western; exactly the sort of ramshackle settler town which is just big enough to feature betrayals galore, but not so big that you don’t know the whole layout after ten minutes wandering, or get bored traversing it. It’s a fully-featured RPG town, and is nicely populated. It’s really worth talking to everyone, as sometimes they have random quests and minigames, which give you bonus cash, items and vehicle kit. Also, while their dialogue is as pedestrian as Olympic speed-walking, their animation, junk-gar design and body-language is creepily good.

The key locations are the offices of the Mayor (who has a frame-breaking Vault-Head Bobblehead on his desk) and the Sherriff, where you can get quests; the garage, where you can select and park your vehicles; the race track, where you unlock racing tokens and new vehicles through time-trials, competitive races and large variety of types; the mechanic, who’ll swap tokens for a huge range of vehicle upgrades; the bar, where you can pick up quests, gossip and play Rage Frenzy, an in-game collectible card game (a bit like Neuroshima Hex crossed with Magic The Gathering); a job board, for all the side-missions they couldn’t cram in elsewhere; a postal service, who’ll pay you for delivering parcels to outposts within time limits; and a merchant, where you can buy and sell clothing, gadgets, components and weaponry.

I try a few missions; a race, which is a multiple-lap effort and allows me to unlock vehicle-miniguns (essential for bar missions and killing enemy vehicles in the outside world) as well as a snazzy iD design for the jalopy; an engineer defence mission, where you have to snipe enemy combatants as they rush an engineer repairing something vital; and a mission in the wilds killing enemy vehicles for bounty (surprisingly difficult, despite the autoaim on the minigun turrets.) Before I know my time is up, and I’m asked to leave.

With the vehicles and wasteland styling, Borderlands is the obvious referent, but the character design and animation makes me think Mass Effect, while the hub Wellspring reminds of the first Stalker or Crusader: No Remorse, packed full of interesting crap to do and people to talk to.

My last act in the game was to be given the option of swapping out my Ark suit for something less likely to get me shot on sight; players get a choice of three outfits; roughneck, fabricator or local; each of which gives me a different bonus.

The dream of intergalactic enlightenment dies when I change my pants.

Rage arrives in the US on October 4th, and EU on October 7th.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. magnus says:

I’m really liking the sound of this though I probably won’t be able to hear it very clearly above the sounds of tedious cynicism and ‘seen it all befores’.

• c-Row says:

Agreed. That point sounds like “I shall never eat another steak because I just had one, and all the others taste pretty similar anyway, so why bother?”

• Baboonanza says:

I rarely order steak – for exactly that reason!

• Mad Hamish says:

You must have an amazingly varied diet.

• Ultra Superior says:

I dont like the style of mr.Grillopullos – too many words, too little message conveyed.

I miss me QSmith.

• Griddle Octopus says:

I’m sorry I didn’t use the word ‘dude’ more. That is the limit of my ability to imitate Comrade Smith.

• godgoo says:

Zing!

• foop says:

I like his style. He said “caravanserai”.

2. Bursar says:

But is it any good?

• mrjackspade says:

Yeh, the write-up is good but some critical opinion would also be nice :p!

• Griddle Octopus says:

Ach, sorry I made it so descriptive. I wanted to just tell you what it was like without imposing my own values too much on it – it’s very similar to Borderlands, the combat is fun whilst the driving is merely okay, but I played far too little of it to feel comfortable damning it or praising it extensively.

(But if you have any questions about it, I’m happy answering anything. That might give you a better idea of how it fits with your particular likes and prejudices.)

• Baconberries says:

Does it feel lonely? It sounds like a lonely-feeling game.

• Burning Man says:

I love lonely games. My favourite part in Fallout New Vegas and Assassin’s Creed 2/Brotherhood was just running everywhere. Doing nothing, just running. Incredibly peaceful and calming. Nowhere near as stressful as a mile-long jog IRL.

• Griddle Octopus says:

It’s not particularly lonely – there are plenty of garrulous locals to talk to, and I spent about as much time talking to them once I got to Wellspring as doing missions.

3. Zakkeh says:

Sounds awesome, very much want to buy now. Hope Aus date is US, just cause I hate waiting

4. Koozer says:

Sounds nice, but I have the feeling the game isn’t really…plot-centric.

• Griddle Octopus says:

Oh, it does have a plot, involving these authority types – I just got nowhere near it or them in the 150 minutes I had with it.

• povu says:

It’s id Software making this. Compared to what we’re used to from them, we’re getting a lot of plot with Rage. :P

• Tacroy says:

You can talk to the monsters, but they only speak bullet :(

5. Alistair says:

So about a foot of spoiler and about zero comment?

• The Sentinel says:

Yeah, for a game I have an interest in I really didn’t want to be presented with a step-by-step intro to the first 20 minutes of the game, and a notable lack of judgement upon those 20 minutes.

Anyone can document a linear chronology of events, Dan. In the world of games they’re called Walkthroughs.

• Griddle Octopus says:

As I said above, I didn’t play enough of the game to pass comment on it, but enough that I wanted to give you an impression of what it was like to play through. Thanks for the feedback though, next time I’ll make it more explicit what the fun / un-fun elements are, like I usually do.

• Stochastic says:

Given how little play time you had and the fact that we’re still some ways away from release, I think your preview was fine. And despite what the detractors say, I think that you did pass judgement a few times in your preview (e.g. saying that the game seemed rather linear, noting the driving felt ill-suited for a keyboard, mentioning that the dialogue was pedestrian but the animation was good, noting how the crafting system is MMO-like). An informative preview I say!

• Ruffian says:

jeez loise, people! give ‘em a break, already. How the hell are you supposed to write about a game without describing it to some extent? Dan, the pre/review is great, and I for one respect your decision to withhold personal judgement in lieu of the simple facts. I’m sure your accurate description of the first 1% of the game will not, in fact, ruin it for anyone.

6. karnie says:

Aren’t previews supposed to be about how the player likes/dislikes the game and not a basic playthrough of the first hour of the game? What’s the point of this, other than rubbing it in our faces that you got to play the game before us?

• amplifiedhands says:

Yeah, I’ve always disliked the previews that talks about the experiences from the first person… It’s actually pretty simple, is the game good or bad. Yes, no?!

• Griddle Octopus says:

Jeez Louise! Okay; the game didn’t excite me particularly when I sat down to play it, but the combat was fun, and the multiple gear-gating and advancement mechanics were both satisfying and addictive. It didn’t look as beautiful as I thought it would and the dustbowl environs really gives it a overly-familiar feel. Sadly, I really only got through the extended tutorial, so I didn’t want to judge the whole game on the basis of that.

• BeamSplashX says:

You’re a bad man, Dan.

• Ruffian says:

7. jets96 says:

You should post the video :)

8. N says:

Why the hell do people read previews? Why would anyone want the entire beginning of a game be devoid of any impact for them when they actually play it? Lol previews are useless.

• Baka says:

That’s the reason I skipped to the conclusion, read “while the hub Wellspring reminds of the first Stalker” and are now insanely hyped for an inofficial Stalker 1.5 that this game will never be.

9. Mana_Garmr says:

Why would you trade in a suit that revives you and electrocutes people around you just so you can fit in? Or was that a one off, plot required revival?

• Griddle Octopus says:

You still keep the electro-resurrection thing when you trade in the suit; the other suits basically give you bonuses to shopping, crafting or combat.

10. Will Tomas says:

I think this is a pretty decent NGJ article about Rage, the problem is that it’s the wrong context for it. The game isn’t out yet, and what’s more helpful – particularly for something labelled as a preview – is a greater sense of ‘is it fun?’ The only real judgement you can make based on this is ‘can Dan G write well?’

There are bits of trad-preview in there (the last few paragraphs, basically), but it’s a bit of an uneasy marriage between game diary and preview. I’m certainly not saying that you can’t play with the form, but there’s little point writing a game diary based on the first couple of hours of a game that no-one else can experience on their own yet – but will probably want to. Otherwise it both spoils bits of it, and doesn’t help the readers in deciding whether the game is up to snuff. It would be like getting to see the first ten minutes of a film at (for example) Comic-Con, and then writing it up as a short story. It doesn’t necessarily make the readers want to watch the film, and they’ve had the opening a bit ruined. If this article was part one of a game diary written after the game came out, then it would be absolutely fine. It isn’t, sadly.

• Reefpirate says:

Since when did the comment sections turn in to the ‘amateur editor’ section? The guy said he’d happily answer questions, which is cool… But then all he gets to read is how he should have written the piece differently? Jeez.

• Griddle Octopus says:

Much as I love the RPS comments threads, there is a huge amount of bandwaggoning here. People say X, then other people post because, hell, they feel X too. When they’re being nice to you, it’s lovely; when they’re not, you just have to grin and bear it – or reach out and deal with their gripes.

• Stochastic says:

Dan, I’m sorry you have to deal with this. Maybe it’s just a sort of initiation process at RPS to berate new writers and see if they stick around. I think the issue is that RPS does previews slightly differently from most other outlets. We readers have come to expect previews that are essentially early, tentative reviews. Perhaps that’s where all this ire is coming from.

11. Theory says:

It just goes to show that even if you are a filthy dirty, bare-chested, sunburnt mechanic in the post-apocalyptic future, you can still grow a fine moustache.

• Ian says:

And so the apocalypse looks a little less gloomy.

• jonfitt says:

It’s because after the Apocalypse all the closeted moustache fanciers who were shamed into being clean shaven, can finally hang loose.

12. Drac40k says:

i’m sorry, but this preview was pointless. there were maybe three lines of actual critique in it.

• jonfitt says:

Le sigh. Previews are not reviews.
      The accepted standard set down in the International Games Council meeting of 1828 is that they try to tell you what the game currently plays like, what the full game will hopefully include, and give you a feel for what it is about. This does that.

13. King Kong says:

I still don’t understand why this game needs to be open world and have vehicles in it.

It really seems like iD just trying to cash in on popular ideas in the last 5 years – vehicle races! open world fps! quests! the zapper gun that you will use that one time the enemies are standing in the water and you can electrocute them

• jstar says:

To be honest it sounds like it is a mix between open world and corridor. Open world in that there are quest hubs and a bit of exploration to do and corridor in the game play. I’m glad of this because a straight up corridor shooter would bore the shit out of me, seeing as I am now 31 and I finished Doom some 16 odd years ago. The vehicle stuff is clearly just there so the open world can be traversed easily and the car combat so you don’t get bored while driving. Sounds ace to me.

• Griddle Octopus says:

The actual bandit / mutant bases are very much corridor shooters – they’re mostly linear and could almost be instanced. Unblock a few corridors and they’d make good multiplayer arenas too.

• TheTingler says:

Since when are “quests” a popular thing recently? And it’s Call of Duty that’s the popular trend right now, not open-world FPSs, and Rage stays well clear of that. Besides, it’s only a bit open-world.

Oh, and besides Borderlands how many other FPSs have racing in them?

14. jstar says:

Virtually all gaming previews are hopeless. That’s because every so called games journalist I can think of seems to think a preview or hands on should be a dramatised account of their play through rather than a critical analysis of how it plays. Which is the only thing we ever really want to know. I find it so irritating. Tom Bramwell at Eurogamer always does it as well and quite frankly all it does is expose just how much he wishes he was a ‘proper’ writer.

• Griddle Octopus says:

Virtually all gaming comments are hopeless. That’s because every so called games commenter I can think of seems to think a comment on should be a dramatised account of the article rather than a critical analysis of how it reads. Which is the only thing we ever really want to know. I find it so irritating. lolzor274 always does it as well and quite frankly all it does is expose just how much he wishes he was a ‘proper’ commenter.

:P

See my comments above for rationale as to why I wrote it as I did. I’ll stick to my usual, prejudiced analysis in future, believe me.

• Wilson says:

I actually prefer this to a preview where they tell you about a ton of neat features and how good/bad certain parts of the game are, which later turns out to bear no relation to what your own experience of the game is. At preview stage I don’t need critical analysis because I can’t buy the game, a description of what you do in the game is of more interest to me at this point.

• treat says:

Don’t feed me your impressions of a brief preview of the game, give me a detailed analysis of it’s features and rate it on a scale of 1-100 so I can decide right now–months in advance–whether I’m going to purchase it or not.

• Griddle Octopus says:

@Treet Hee! Very well. It’ll get high 80s or 90s, but little higher. People will criticise it for being too similar to Borderlands. It’ll sell similarly to Bulletstorm.

• TheTingler says:

I’d be satisfied if it wasn’t any higher than 90s.

Wait… what? Are you telling me the scale actually goes beyond 100 Dan, and no games have been good enough to get higher than 90s? I’ve been lied to all this time!

15. Eraysor says:

I wasn’t that bothered about this game until I read “in game collectible card game”!

• Griddle Octopus says:

It’s actually rather good fun; I spent maybe 20 minutes playing it but, again, only had the starter deck and a few extras, so no idea of how it develops / the longevity.

16. GallonOfAlan says:

Preview != review

17. Griddle Octopus says:

(Failed reply)

18. wccrawford says:

Unlike most others, I found this review to be helpful. I now know what kind of game it really is (the videos have only show short combat clips) and what to expect from it. Knowing if the reviewer liked it wouldn’t help without knowing -why-. I’m not the type to let others do my thinking for me.

It sounds like it’ll be a fun game. The mod-able weapons sound interesting enough. And it sounds suitably RPG-ish for me.

• thebigJ_A says:

Not most others. I found this preview very useful. Thanks Dan!

It was especially useful since I’d just read the Giantbomb preview. That guy spent his three hours differently enough to make for a helpful contrast.

19. jonfitt says:

Ooh Dan. I’m normally not one for the grammar checking, but your first 5 word sentence had me double take.
    I am an ark survivor! With all the side content, Rage seems to have more than a little GTA about it.

• Griddle Octopus says:

Yikes. Thanks Jon. Yes, there’s a lot of side-content, but it’s all quite close together and you can do multiple quests at once, like Oblivion. It likely opens up more once you get out of Wellspring.

20. obvioustroll says:

I didn’t read the text, but enjoyed the pretty pictures :-)

21. Lars Westergren says:

Woof. Ahem. Because of …the graphics? Yeah, let’s go with that. *whistles innocently*

I liked this article. Also significantly more interested now that I read about the RPG elements and especially the cardgame.

22. Squirrelfanatic says:

Thanks to Dan / Griddle for responding to all the comments, remarks and questions.

23. cpl109 says:

This review tells me nothing about the game. It’s an id game. Can you still run and shoot at the same time? How precise are the weapons? How much damage do the enemies take? Do they move a lot or tend to be static? Is it fun? How’s the pacing? Does the inventory work well with the mouse? I don’t even know what platform you’ve played it on…

• jonfitt says:

There is one aspect there I would like to know about. Is this an iD game where we’re going to be circle straffing and pumping 18 round from a shotgun into a guy before he falls down, or does the verisimilitude extend to the combat?

• Griddle Octopus says:

Can you still run and shoot at the same time? Yes
      How precise are the weapons? Depends on the weapon. Pistol accurate, shotgun & SMG not.
      How much damage do the enemies take? Depends on the enemy & difficulty level.
      Do they move a lot or tend to be static? Some move, some are static.
      Is it fun? Depends on the gamer. I found the combat fun, driving so-so.
      How’s the pacing? Didn’t get to play it enough to tell you.
      Does the inventory work well with the mouse? It’s fine – the crafting is almost automatic.
      I don’t even know what platform you’ve played it on… PC
      Is this an iD game where we’re going to be circle straffing and pumping 18 round from a shotgun into a guy before he falls down, or does the verisimilitude extend to the combat? Good use of verisimilitude. Typical id: one round from a shotgun close up kills all humans, but takes several pistol shots to take someone down. Depends on difficulty.

24. Crainey says:

Very interesting read, I thank ye. Some people are saying you didn’t add much of your own opinion on the game and just made it descriptive but I can understand you don’t want to be a critic when you have only played a small amount. Furthermore I think this:
    “Borderlands is the obvious referent, but the character design and animation makes me think Mass Effect, while the hub Wellspring reminds of the first Stalker or Crusader: No Remorse, packed full of interesting crap to do and people to talk to.”
    pretty much sums it up for me and sells it completely as a big fan of all three games. Been looking forward to this one for a while now, not long now.

25. skyturnedred says:

(Nevermind, Dan already responded)

26. jonfitt says:

I have an observation on this so called Apocalypse. It seems to be one of those namby-pamby Apocalypses where technology and people pretty much survive but get a bit grubby and act like drunk chavs.
    When will we see a game which depicts the future beyond a real Apocalypse? The kind of Apocalypse where the oldest people are merely repeating rote “facts” about a before time which might as well be fairy tales. Where nature has swallowed up the remnants of civilisation and finding a working engine would be like finding a spaceship now.

• Griddle Octopus says:

I’ve read some great sci-fi along those lines; actually, the beginning of Fallout 2 is a bit like that as well.

• jonfitt says:

There are parts of Mad Max with the children which are like that too.

I was disappointed with that aspect of Fallout 3. What seemed initially like a Wasteland turned out to be a bustling metropolis. You couldn’t go half a mile without tripping over some for of civilisation. Ok, the population was low, but then when was the last time you played a city-based game with an actual decent population! Swapping out the textures it was about as alive as Oblivion.

I feel like our supposedly nerdy gaming culture is often shown up to be pedestrian and mainstream when compared to half decent sci-fi. People still see space opera and think “oh that’s a sci-fi game”. Harrumpf.

• Thants says:

A hard sci-fi post-apocalyptic game would be pretty great. Maybe make it a roguelike. It’s not really post-apocalyptic without the constant threat of death.

27. ATwig says:

Not to be nit picky but shouldn’t the first line read “I am an ark survivor” instead of “I am a ark survivor”?

28. Rii says:

Sounds great. My only concern at this point is that I’m going to be approaching this game with DX:HR in the rear-view mirror. That’s gonna be a tough act to follow.

29. PoulWrist says:

This sounds like that other game that was totally like this other game which was pretty much that game only in 3d, which was more or less that other game but with graphics instead of ascii art. I think I’ll pass. But only if they put it on Origin, because no steam no sale, amirite?

30. Sidorovich says:

I would’ve liked some feedback on the Boomerang. People keep saying the boomerang looked weak in the vids. The boomerang lacked heft when you threw it a stuff. Actually, I think I just like saying Boomerang. Boom-er-rang. Boom….

• Turin Turambar says:

The boomerang is acutally a scifi gadget with motor and selfguided, that’s why the launch seems “weak”. The player doesn’t need to throw it with force.

31. BirdsUseStars says:

Well, I think it was interesting. You can’t fairly give a subjective opinion on a game like this by only briefly playing a preview version. Thank you for the preview!

32. cptincognito says:

Whoa- thanks for getting an actual PC version hands on. How does it look in comparison to the console versions, specifically the sometimes muddled textures?

• Griddle Octopus says:

I didn’t mention this in the preview, because it’s still so early, but the high textures were all there – but there was far too much pop-up. Like, I’d turn around and the wall next to me would be low-res, then pop into hi-texture. It also was a bit jaggy, so I guess it could do with a little more filtering / AA.

33. Shadrach says:

Ii will be a tight race between this, Red Orchestra 2 and Deus Ex for GOTY for me I think. Been looking forward to Rage since I heard about it.

34. Angel Dust says:

How are the writing and voice acting? I’m not expecting anything deep or meaningful of course, but is it at least enjoyable in a pulpy way? Or is it the kind of stuff you just tune out while getting the gist of what you need to do?

I haven’t read the preview by the way, so that my first time playing will be fresh, so apologies if you’ve already answered this.

35. TheTingler says:

I actually got hands-on time with the PC version too, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also attempted to break the game as Dan did, and found that if you attempted to go off the beaten track – or even jump down a small incline to a place you’d been before – you couldn’t do. There’s certainly a lot to do in it, as everyone seemed to end in a completely different spot. Eurogamer managed to get to the Rocket Launcher somehow, I didn’t even get to fire my crossbow.

However, I disagree with the driving. With mouse and keyboard I preferred the driving to Half-Life 2′s. Maybe it’s because it goes third-person, which is always better for driving than first-person.

I’m really looking forward to it. Deus Ex or Batman may beat it for game of the year, but this should win FPS of the year… potentially. Or all three could suck and Witcher 2 could waltz away with the honours, oh well. That’s what makes life so exciting.

• Griddle Octopus says:

I just felt the way the vehicles kicked round when you were trying to drift was totally unpredictable, as was straightening them accurately – I can see exactly how it would work with a joystick, where you can point in the direction you want to go, but it’s much harder when you’re directing with both WSA and mouse.

36. The Innocent says:

Awesome preview, Dan.

37. Paturn says:

Hey Dan, that was the best article on RPS that I’ve read for an epoch. Continue performing good work!

• c-Row says:

Well, not exactly the best in my opinion, but very entertaining and a far cry from what everybody seems to criticise it for. Keep up the good work!

38. Frye2k11 says:

That sounds nice indeed. More rpg elements than i thought. Who doesn’t want towns “packed full of interesting crap to do” as the article so eloquently puts it?

39. Kebab says:

Dan, I enjoyed the alternative writing style. I want to read about the game. I honestly had no idea what it was about and assumed ID = another Doom = Yawn. You have genuinely perked my interest.

The problem is most people want to be told what to think, rather than reading and feeling for themselves.

I appreciate you cannot evaluate a game on a preview and people shouldn’t think this way, and I want to know about the game not if some reviewer enjoyed themselves while being wined, dined and massaged by PRs, although, that said some injections of “this bit was quite fun” would have been nice :-)

/2p

40. Crazed Alien says:

If your eyes were put in upside down you wouldn’t look any different…

41. wellsaidted says:

SEMI-COLONS

A lovely read though.

42. KillerB says:

Well I for one enjoyed the review/preview/run-through for the first portion of Rage as I mostly read these articles whilst at work, and our stupid server wont let us access the videos as there is content related to ‘Games’ (Stupid server, wanting us to ‘work’ whilst we are here tsk) So by the time I get home and log into my dire broadband which is so far away from the server its takes for-frikkin-ever to load up the videos, I cant be bothered, so nice to get a text-ual instead of a vis-ual for a change.

Dan, you are my eyes! (So more pictures please)

So there!

P.s. I have already pre-ordered the ‘special’ edition, so roll on August the 7th (According to Amazon)

43. NegativeNancy says:

The textures are unbearably ugly. And why is everything so blurry?

44. Cryotek says:

As a big Borderlands fan, I’m really looking forward to this one.

Are there any more RPG elements – skill and ability upgrades, for example? Or is it like Stalker, where getting better equipment comes to serve that purpose?