Borderlands 2 Is Really Real, Due 2012

By Alec Meer on August 3rd, 2011 at 1:21 pm.

Happy trumpet noise!

Eurogamer had already called it, now 2K and Gearbox have officially announced it: Borderlands 2 will be revealed at Gamescom later this month (I’m just about to pester them for an appointment) and released at some point beetween April 2012 and April 2013. Almost no details whatsover – this is how the games industry rolls – but there will be a”ll-new characters, skills, environments, enemies, weapons and equipment, which come together in an ambitiously crafted story. Players will reveal secrets, and escalate mysteries of the Borderlands universe as they adventure across the unexplored new areas of Pandora.”

All of these things are good things, though it puts paid to that rumour a couple of years back that ‘Borderworlds’ was the direction Gearbox were heading in. A PC version is confirmed, by the way, as well as the inevitable playboxes. The first image from the game is below.

That’s Game Informer’s next cover, because Game Informer has the exclusive because this is a new game from a major publisher. That’s how it works now. High-res version here.

More things I would like to see in the game:

- A better realised story – which is what ‘ambitiously-crafted’ hopefully means.
- Expansion of co-op, both in terms of how you play through the campaign and how you work together.
- A vibe that’s more like the DLC than the original.
- More expansive vehicular elements.
- More life in the towns/hubs.
- Auto-cash collection, instead of clicking over and over.
- More emphasis on the guns being truly distinct, rather than variations up on a few themes.
- Guns! Experience points! Guns! Experience points! Guns! Experience points! Gunperience points!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MonkeesLover1963 says:

Maybe the PC port will be okay this time :P

• Gnoupi says:

To be honest, aside from the menus which were made for a gamepad and which felt a bit too tight for our big boy’s gaming machines, the port was quite good.

No performance or crash problems on my part.

• Tomm says:

Yeah, I don’t understand all the hate for the PC version, I played it a couple years back and it was fine.

• edrick says:

I never had any issues on PC, played all the way through.

• Keymonk says:

No issues for me either whatsoever. I really enjoyed it.

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Yep, there are loads of examples of PC ports over the last few years which were much worse than Borderlands.

Apart from the odd menu system, I would never have even questioned it at all.

• Miker says:

I found these to be the biggest issues with the PC port:

– Narrow field of view. Could be changed through .ini, but then reset every time you sprinted. I personally found it best to bind “fov 100″ to left alt and manually hit it each time after I stopped sprinting or got out of a vehicle.

– Broken voice chat. It was always on, and there was no way to turn it off or make it push-to-talk.

– Multiplayer connectivity was more or less broken for a number of users. I was one of them. It was patched, but not quickly. See http://store.steampowered.com/news/3402/, a patch in February to solve major networking issues from a game released in October

– Small things, like no use of the mousewheel in menus, large text, etc.

• Jason Moyer says:

After playing some of The Witcher 2, I’m starting to appreciate large text. Even at 1024×768 I can barely read anything.

I’m not really sure why PC gamers jack off so much about font sizes though. There are far worse reasons to hate most console ports (most of which involve the games themselves being terrible, as opposed to technical issues).

• DrGonzo says:

A fov of 100 is madness, that’s not the games fault. If they made the standard fov so wide most people wouldn’t be able to play it, so that’s not a port issue imo. There are some games that have dodgy ones but I don’t understand why you would want it that big, it will look incredibly warped and bug eyed.

• Nick says:

Yeah, there weren’t too many issues that were more than annoyances, I seem to recall turning voice coms off using an ini file or something, but they patched it eventually too.

• Miker says:

An FOV of 100 is madness? Really? Valve PC games have it at 90, e.g. TF2 and L4D(2). I come from an Unreal Tournament/Quake background, so I like it a bit higher at 100. It looks fine, and not at all fish eyed. Here’s a screenshot of Borderlands with FOV 90 at a 16:10 ratio: http://cdn2.wsgfmedia.com/f/u/imagecache/node-gallery-display/Borderlands%201920×1200%2090%20FOV.jpg

I don’t see any fish eye effect at 90, and it’s sure as hell not there at 100, either. FOV 100 is great, if you ask me.

• mpk says:

Dear Gearbox,
      Please, after putting in all the effort to create a thoroughly enjoyable game with an interesting universe, cm you give Borderlands 2′s story an ending that’s worth a damn.
      love M

EDIT: Hmm. Comment fail.

• riku0116 says:

PLEASE allow toggle Aim Down Sight option this time…
      Hold to ADS has no place in a proper PC FPS.

• Martel says:

I have 6 people (including myself) that purchased Borderlands with the recent Steam summer sales. Every single one of us has had a problem(some major) with the game in some manner. Didn’t stop us enjoying it, in fact it’s a very enjoyable game, but hopefully they actually put some effort into the port this time. Not everybody out there has problems, but for my group 0/6 is a pretty terrible record.

• Lamb Chop says:

It’s funny; I clicked on that screenshot you posted to show it was fine and my reaction was, “Woah! Fisheye!” Guess it’s just more noticeable to some people.

• Fierce says:

For what it’s worth regarding our big boy gaming machines, I found the following in the Borderlands port more than a tad annoying:

- Mouse Smoothing On by default. No in-game option to disable it. Had to be disabled via .INI tweaks (yet another reason I’ll be PC gaming till I die, not that I was running out of reasons). Until I found this particular tweak, I had to lower the DPI setting on my mouse to the lowest setting every time I played, and even then it was slightly too fast for comfort.

- VSync Off by default. No in-game option to enable it. Had to be enabled via .INI tweaks. Remedied the terrible image tearing that results when trying to run a practically cel-shaded game engine on a Crossfire setup.

- Intro movies. Yeah, I said it. You see, on a console, I understand that intro movies aren’t much of an annoyance due to the fact that in order to see them, one usually has already gotten out of their Ass Groove™, opened large plastic containers, swapped shiny circular shaped donuts for other shiny circular shaped donuts, recalibrated themselves to their Ass Groove™ and waited patiently for the internal Toasting Laser to brown said donuts, but in the futuristic utopia of PC gaming, when launching, exiting and launching different titles are mere double-clicks and perhaps a second or two of monitor darkness away, being forced to sit through the marketing graffiti of the company that already received my money and has no legitimate reason to bother me without my permission is a tad invasive on my time and my senses. TV remotes have the Mute button, PCs have the Esc key. When a highly repetitive commercial sees fit to render the function of my Esc key inept, you’d better believe some INIs are going to be edited. And made read-only.

You’d be surprising how much better the game feels with just these 3 tweaks taken care of. Now if they could just get off Gamespy (seriously, whos asinine idea was it to display your freakin GamespyID ingame instead of the Character Name they let you choose), not have a QC team that stays silent on having the “I” key used to “Invite” your friends to a game, and add MUCH more Steve, then we might just have a winner of a sequel.

• YanDaik says:

i think the major problem was respawn after death. it ruined all tension…

2. Gunsmith says:

would it be too much to ask for an FoV and movement model that doesnt make me want to vomit every 30 seconds?

3. Ringwraith says:

I think the the reason why the core game’s story was a bit jarringly at odds with the tone of the game was as the art style switch occurred quite late into development, so it’s possible that the story was already mostly laid by that point so they just left it more or less as is rather than changing it fit the new, crazier style.

• The_Great_Skratsby says:

As far as I can tell any grain of seriousness will be lost to the overwhelming absurdity that came with the art style, and continued with the dlc expansions. Which imho is far, far better than the dullasbricks plot the game picked up plodded with for conclusions sake.

• Daddy Fat Sax says:

There were actually a lot of unused voice files in the game’s files that definitely were part of a more serious plot line.

4. CMaster says:

Hmm, the end of the last DLC suggested we were leaving Pandora for a different world.
    Kind of disappointing if that isn’t the case in the end.

• jay35 says:

A couple people are neurotic enough to be concerned over whether the new game is written as taking place on Pandora or another planet? Really? The new areas will be the new areas regardless of where the backstory locates them.

• Nick says:

Its just that Pandora is largely desert and a bit dull as a result.

5. malkav11 says:

Pleasepleaseplease let them use a sensible networking scheme instead of Gamespy this time.

• nofing says:

After Duke Nukem, I think the chances are pretty good for it, to use Steamworks. I just hope this one will become a Steamplay title as well.

• brianisbrilliant says:

Steam-Play? They had that! until the Mac App Store came out and someone decided it would be better to pull the mac version from steam and only sell it in the Mac App Store. which was balls, because right after that it went 75% off. (only for Windows.)

• somnolentsurfer says:

Really? That’s outrageous. I picked it up in a sale at some point, and only appear to have the Windows version. Didn’t even know there was a Mac version until I saw it on the App Store.

6. Symitri says:

I hope they add voice acting to the majority of quests past the starting area. I remember enjoying the starting area immensely and then wondering where all the effort went with the quest story.

But fixing up the multiplayer and the FOV issues would be enough.

7. Orija says:

Ambitiously-crafted probably points to the presence of bigass set-pieces.

8. Creeping Death says:

- Auto-cash collection, instead of clicking over and over.

Now admittedly it has been a while since I played, but couldnt you just hold down E to collect everything in your vicinity?

• Todpullen says:

Yes you could hold down E but that would collect drops as well as cash, thus causing you to lob your current gun and replace it with the crappy pistol (or whatever) that you had just walked over

• Gundato says:

Only if you put the crosshairs over the gun.

• westyfield says:

Gundato is right. You could aim at money or ammo, and hold E to hoover anything nearby up. Or you could aim at a gun and hold E to replace your current gun with that one. Guns didn’t get hoovered like money/ammo did.
      It could sometimes be a bit fiddly to aim at the right thing in a loot-heavy area though.

9. Daiv says:

I can get behind this. More and better and visible armour would be nice. In Diablo one of the appeals was hunting for complementary bits of armour to tweak every last bonus – “hey, I found some boots that are exactly the same but have a gem socket! Awesome!!”. In Borderlands it was more like “well, that’s the gun I’m going to use for the next three levels”.

10. torchedEARTH says:

Less weapons. I know the zillion guns thing was a real draw, but as most of them were very similar you might as well have just a tenth of a zillion guns and enjoy better variety.

…oh and MP death match. With vehicles. and aircraft.

• Alphabet says:

No! MORE guns! I loved this game so much and am really excited for the sequel.

• brianisbrilliant says:

what i liked about the more guns was that i found guns i wanted to use. diablo 2 consisted of finding useful items only at bosses. i was comparing and upgrading weapons all the time and i loved it. in D2 i just skipped picking up items.

• malkav11 says:

Really? I went for ten level stretches without finding a new gun worth using. I rarely even found guns that were meaningfully different from guns I’d already found (and not just a different percentage on the same stats). I pretty much expected that kind of “variety”, but I was really hoping that they’d have a lot more genuinely unique outcomes from their weapon generation the way they were talking it up.

11. McDan says:

Oooo goody, lately I’ve been playing this and the DLC through a lot with friends, rather fun.

12. Xocrates says:

Good to see they still have the priorities straight.

13. ran93r says:

The only thing I really don’t care about is vehicles, I could have played the whole damn game without them, I just didn’t see the point.
    For this reason alone, Knoxx was my least favourite DLC.
    If it were a huge persistent world then maybe but it isn’t and as one previous commenter in the other thread yesterday pointed out, the areas didn’t really feel like they had any connection to each other.
    Still, will lap this up like a dehydrated kitten presented with a bowl of vanilla crusha.

14. selkcip says:

I enjoyed the game, but a lot of things were half-assed. The vehicle physics was pretty bad, the boss fights were mediocre, and the final boss (pre-dlc) was the same one they used in Opposing Force. It was also disappointing that they scrapped streaming environments and dynamic dungeons (I think that was an initial goal). The consoles really brought it down. Plus, after playing the DNF demo I don’t know that I trust GB to produce a game that fulfills the promises they make.

• Creeping Death says:

The vehicle physics was pretty bad

You can’t define the games physics as being “bad” when it’s set on an alien planet. You’ll notice it had floaty jumps too. They could do whatever they wanted with the physics in the setting.

I will admit the final boss was quite rubbish though. Thankfully I then jumped straight into some pretty fun zombie dlc afterwards and forgot all about it

15. playthatfunkytuba says:

I LOVED Borderlands. (Still need to go back and polish it off, thinking about it.) But I was hoping Bioshock: Infinite would encourage more sequels to branch out into new settings and contexts, whilst keeping similar gameplay ideas. Basically, I want more of the same, but a new story, new planet, etc. – “unexplored new areas of Pandora” is a bit of a let-down, personally.

16. Hooi says:

Weapons crafting. That’s the only thing I want. The gun editor added weeks of playtime when I was done with the first one

17. westyfield says:

A decent storyline, not Gamespy, better co-op, more variety with the guns. That’s pretty much all I want to change.
    I love Borderlands, even to this day thinking of the boss announcements makes me chuckle.
    “Also, he has three balls.”

18. aircool says:

I loved the original. One of the few games I played through to the finish, then the extra content, then started again, played about halfway through, started a new character, played through to the finish, and the extra content, started again, etc…

The only hassle with the game was fiddling with the options.ini to get the game feeling just right (PoV mainly) and sorting out decent keybinds.

Oh, and co-op was ace fun, just kinda hard to get set up with friends.

19. Oblyvious says:

The loot system was dreadful. Yes there were mass amount of weapons, shields, well, everything, but nothing made you want to keep playing just a little longer to get that one piece that would let you rule them all. I was hoping that the armory DLC would fix that but in the end it was just another yard sale of every weapon in the game. There was nothing new or exciting about the loot. If they could fix that, I would be a happy gamer. That was my only grief.

20. StuffedCabbage says:

This is great news. I love Borderlands. Still play it sometimes with friends. I hope they do implemment the changes you guys suggested. They all sound good to me. Can’t wait for this.

21. ZenArcade says:

More like the DLC? Not sure about that one personally. I’m sure you meant more in tone and feel. Personally I was really put off by the token fetch quests, which I loathe, but in Borderlands they were especially banal, something I thought not possible.

Saying that, I loved Borderlands, thought it was a really neat little game that actually gave something a shot and ran with it. Good stuff. I agree with all your suggestions bar the obvious one.

22. bowl of snakes says:

A lot of comments bitching about stuff, but I’m just glad this game got made. It’s not perfect, but I completely dug having nerded-out Action RPG stuff married to decent shootiness. And more stylized FPS’s that take chances with gameplay please.

23. Protome says:

“and released at some point beetween April 2012 and April 2012.”
    So it’ll be released in April 2012? >.>

• Kollega says:

It’s a typo by Mr. Meer. The blog says that the game will be released in fiscal 2012, which starts on April 2012 and ends on April 2013.

24. akaleus says:

YES! I cannot wait! I have about 95 hours in the original. Can’t wait to waste more of my time in some new areas of Pandora. Honestly, I’ve spent more time in Borderlands than any FPS since Heretic.

Speaking of Heretic, I need to break that out again and get some coop action going. Anyone down?

25. shoptroll says:

I’m hoping that with DNF using Steamworks, Borderlands 2 won’t be using Gamespy this time around. That’s all I ask for.

Also, expose more of the config files in the game options. I shouldn’t need to wade through the .ini file or use an external program to enable things like VSynch. Whatever happened to “Advanced Options” in games?

26. Kollega says:

“Unexplored new areas of Pandora”? So we ain’t leavin’ it? Goddammit. I really hoped for a game set on ANOTHER planet. Even if planets are big (and they are), i still hoped that they would discard it for another one, to start anew. Oh well, i guess they didn’t want to discard the existing enemy designs (Skags, Rakk, and Spiderants, not to mention Psychos).

Everything else does sound real good though. Especially the fact that the tone is going to be all-out black comedy in the vein of Zombie Island and Secret Armory instead of the original’s mixed tone. I hope they add some new gun types (like element-throwers), visual customization, and weapon crafting (gotta do something with all those greens instead of just selling them!). More life in towns and more vehicle sections also sounds good (bad as the vehicles were in the first part, i kinda liked them) – but the autocollect feature… ehhh. There was a certain charm in picking up everything yourself, though i guess it’ll make the game easier and free up a button on the controller. Maybe they could add a sliding kick, like in Bulletstorm. I liked that.

As for the Game Informer cover, it does look pretty intresting (Snow? War robots? A moon really up-close? Count me in!) – but i don’t understand why are they getting all the exclusives, ALL of them. Are they run by the Illuminati or something?

27. Burning Man says:

I am very very happy about this piece of news. And I really really hope the guy featured isn’t in the game, ’cause I would hate being forced to play as him. He just looks silly.

28. Sinomatic says:

What I’d like:
    - Multiplayer that bloody well works (gamespy makes us weep sad, sad tears).
    - A menu interface that doesn’t make me want to stab you in the face with the console controller you clearly designed it for
    - No ridiculously padded ‘go all the way there, then all the way back, then all the way there again’ quests (knoxx DLC, I’m looking at you).
    - Skippable loading screens, and cutscenes (without having to play with .ini files)
    - A more rewarding ending to the main game
    - More Tannis.Yes.

• Kollega says:

Knoxx DLC only suffered from this because there, as a rule, is only one fast-travel station per DLC. It’s probably because of DLC integration mechanics or something. I don’t doubt that these quests were stupid, i’m just saying that BL2 (the main game, at least) is likely to have it’s fast travel system in working order.

29. kororas says:

Wot i would like to see in no 2 is batshit crazy guns and enemies (randomly generated). That would be awesome.

30. nootron says:

Uh, this is RPS right? #1 on that list up top should be: PC first, port to consoles. :D

I played it on both PC and xbox, and IIRC, it was delayed for quite a while on PC which is the only reason i played it on xbox.

The PC experience was vastly better in my opinion for many reasons, chief among them is that I do not enjoy playing video games with my thumbs.

31. Tei says:

Count me in!

32. Buemba says:

Borderlands is odd. It’s a game I absolutely loved while playing, but for some reason whenever I stopped the only things that stuck in my mind were the negative aspects.

Still pumped for the sequel, though I hope this time they come up with enemies with more varied tactics than just “run to the player in a straight line while getting shot in the face”. Or just remove the Skags and Spiderants entirely.

33. Woden says:

My group of Steam friends and I were immensely pumped about Borderlands in the run-up to its release, then when we got our eager hands on it, we were mostly just let down. Sure, it’s a fun (where “fun” should be read as “Skinner box-style addictive”) romp for about one playthrough per character, thanks to the characters having sufficiently different playstyles to keep things fresh. But beyond that, it was just disappointing, which is rather mind-boggling–how do you manage to miss the point badly enough that your Diablo clone isn’t addictively replayable?

With that said, whenever I have a new friend who hasn’t played Borderlands, I jump at the chance to play through again, and I enjoy the game more when it’s viewed through the lens of their fresh, unjaded eyes. But having the entire game effectively memorized by this point, down to being able to have my crosshairs in position for headshots before I step on the enemies’ spawn triggers, definitely takes something out of it.

If Borderlands 2 lives up to some of what Borderlands 1 was hyped as being (oh Randy, you professional liar, you), I’ll be a happy man and will gladly renege on my blood oath to never give Gearbox another dollar. Specifically, if they improve the “random guns” algorithm to actually produce random guns (rather than the same six or seven guns with tiny stat variations), if enemies level with you (instead of spending fully 80% of the game tediously grinding through toothless and unrewarding enemies and quests because you’ve outleveled the quest chain), if they add in a true additional playthrough mechanic, and if they randomize enemy types and spawn locations to some degree, then I’m on board.

If they went above and beyond and did things like adding randomly-generated killtenrats quests and adding new enemy types so that the game isn’t ten-hours-of-bandits followed by ten-hours-of-insects followed by four-hours-of-actual-combat-with-the-Crimson-Lance followed by five minutes of good-bloody-lord-I-hate-these-stupid-aliens, that would be a delightful change for the better.

34. passingstranger says:

My main concern is that Borderlands 2 doesn’t have one of the worst endings in recent gaming history.

35. mpk says:

Dear Gearbox,
    Please, after putting in all the effort to create a thoroughly enjoyable game with an interesting universe, can you give Borderlands 2′s story an ending that’s worth a damn.
    love M

36. Bassem says:

I really like Borderlands. I’m still on my first playthrough. Don’t care much about the lack of story, not in a game like this.

But please, please improve on the dead, frozen, unblinking character faces.

37. Thrawny says:

Strip the flesh! Salt the wounds!

38. pi8you says:

Awesome news, currently obsessed with it again after picking up the PSN bundle, marking the fourth iteration I’ve purchased (in order: Retail PC, Steam, 360, PS3), and the 7th or 8th time through the game. It’s just too much fun and I’m eager for more.

39. Strontium Mike says:

Hopefully the sequel will have more avatar choice, at least a male and a female character for each class. No level cap and more variety of vehicles in the base game and most importantly a choice of difficulty at the start of a new game. First play through was too easy, second (with the same character) was more of a challenge but still didn’t have much in the way of interesting drops. The third time through felt just about right in terms of challenge and rewards except I’d done every quest and visited all the areas and maxed out my character by then and the game wasn’t random enough to support three runs and keep things interesting.

• Daddy Fat Sax says:

No level cap?

That’d be ridiculously unbalanced.

• Strontium Mike says:

Not if the level and skill system was designed to be endless. If you couldn’t max out any ability and obviously the npcs would also have no cap. It’s not an rpg, it’s a fun game meant to be played several times through with the same character but where’s the fun when you can max out relatively early on?

Having a level cap in a game like this quite frankly comes across just as a method to sell DLC.

40. Wooly says:

1 thing:

NO GAMESPY for the love of PC gaming.

Comment on this story