FAMED VICTORIES OF THE SKY!

By Jim Rossignol on August 3rd, 2011 at 8:21 pm.

Whee!
Air Buccaneers is getting an HD remake! You can even watch a trailer, below. Air Buccaneers – a multiplayer combat game between teams of balloon-piloting, cutlass-wielding canoneers – was 2004′s greatest mod, and arguably one of the finest mods of all time. And it is being remade. RPS veterans we recall our revival of the mod on a couple of occasions, events which always ended in a “why isn’t this being remade in UDK…” Now it is.

It’s also due for release in 2012. And that’s all I know for now, having just been alerted to this forum thread by Comrade sponge. I’ve contact Ludocraft for more information.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. frenz0rz says:

I always wanted to give this a go, but it sort of passed me by when it was at it’s most popular. Too many games, too little time, eh?

Anyway, I’m glad to see this is on the horizon.

2. KauhuK says:

I have never played the Original Air Buccaneers but I’ll defenitely play this when it comes. I have this feeling that there will be RPS-server for it.

3. Inglourious Badger says:

I completely missed this in 2004, silly me. Looks like a fine premise for a game, balloons + swashbuckles, I shall have to check the HD one out

4. Protome says:

HELL. YES.
    My all time favourite mod for UT2004. I can’t wait.

5. dartt says:

This could be so amazing. Give us some more info Ludocraft!

6. shoptroll says:

I never played this back when it was a mod, but I’ll definitely keep an eye on this update.

7. Sigvatr says:

I for one have never even heard of this game before.

8. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I also wanted to give this a try as I loved the concept and a similar custom map in TF2 yet also never had UT2k4. A tentative must-buy!

9. Squishpoke says:

It would be brilliant if Tripwire picks this game up and develops it under their wing as a retail game.

10. Theory says:

Enemy ahead, level!

Load gunpowder!

Fiyyrrre!

Very happy now. :)

11. Mr_Day says:

I think I may squee. Do excuse me a moment.

12. Jeeva says:

I might offer a harty huzzah at this news. :D

13. Man Raised by Puffins says:

Git on board we’re taking orf!

(Maybe this time I’ll be able to perfect the art of duelling while dangling from a rope.)

14. Raiyan 1.0 says:

I hope they’re selling this as a complete game since it’ll be standalone (being developed in UDK).

15. choconutjoe says:

I’M SO HAPPY!

16. Davee says:

YES!! (that would be “Ayeah.” in Air Buccaneer language)

Quick, somebody find a link to that RPS Air Buccaneers Day we had some time ago!

17. westyfield says:

Never played the original Air Buccaneers, but this looks fun. Is this a mod or are they going standalone, like Natural Selection did?

• Malibu Stacey says:

Hoping that since it’ll be built using UDK it’ll be some sort of standalone (either retail or free download) as I haven’t bought an Unreal game since the original Unreal & Unreal Tournament way back in the late 90′s & I’d really like to play this.

18. Shadrach says:

WOw, great news, I reinstalled it about a year ago but couldn’t find any servers. This will be a glorious revival of a classic!

19. BathroomCitizen says:

Very excited about this!

20. ludotrix says:

Thanks for all the support and enthusiasm! We’ve been waiting for this moment for so long, but now it’s time to kick into action. LudoCraft is very eager to develop AirBuccaneers HD as a standalone game. Many issues are still open and funding is always the tricky one, so there are many challenges, but we’ll get there. In the meantime, start refreshing your design ideas and hone your buccaneering skills. The skies will thunder again…

• skinlo says:

Perhaps do a preorder and get early access style that many other indies seem to do? You certainly seem to have the support to pull it off :)

• appropriate touching says:

Very interested in this! The “HD” part of the name really grates on my ears though, the original was already high definition – and hopefully AB3 will be in HD as well.

• Malibu Stacey says:

This just in, the term “HD” when reffering to PC games means something completely different when used in context with TV & console toys.

• Ogun says:

Loved this game back in the day and really looking forward to an updated version! AirBucs is easily the best balloon-based cannon/sword combat game ever made.

… but I’d agree with the other posters:

‘HD’ sounds odd (regardless of the platform) because it ties it directly to the old game which is no longer readily available to play. Unless you’re pitching primarily to the mobile/handset market (where HD denotes a game that someone has at least tried to make pretty and will take a long time to download), can imagine potential investors preferring ‘Air Buccaneers’ with a subtitle (suggesting the chance of a sequel or variations on other platforms) rather than a suffix. I guess it could just be a working title.

Another vote for pre-orders and/or early/beta access. This is a game I would definitely pre-order to support :)

21. Tei says:

Can be awesome. But the graphics of the video are realy outdated… and the players move unrealistic fast. So humm.. this HD version looks a bit LD to me.

22. tungstenHead says:

I had downloaded this way back when and even played through the tutorial (or what I remember as being a tutorial), but I never took it online because I was scared of people who played games online back then and scared of disappointing them.

Not anymore. I have the courage now. I know that people that play games online are dicks and are not worthy of my shame. I shall join you swarthy folk as a buccanair!

23. MessyPenguin says:

Woohoo I have waited years for this news

24. Kemuel says:

I think this calls for another revival night!

Comment on this story