Bastion Looks Set for August 16th Date

By Jim Rossignol on August 5th, 2011 at 4:37 pm.

The voiceover doesn't really work in these screenshots.
If the Steam page is to be believed then SuperGiant’s esoteric dungeon-crawler is set to arrive on 16th of August (SuperGiant just confirmed this to us over email.) I am honestly expecting this to be one of the games of the year: it’s a beautiful blend of compelling, click hack ‘n’ slash action with artful indie sensibility. What the screens and talk of whacking monsters doesn’t quite get across is how exquisitely the world is delivered as it drops into place ahead of you, a process that is oddly dreamlike, especially when framed against the hard-boiled, wise-cracking voiceover. Anyway, I am sure we’ll ramble about this extensively when it arrives on our Windows boxes.

, , .

1. Rii says:

Oh yes. Previously I found this title mildly intriguing on account of the dissonance between the art style and … that voice, but what with the Diablo III kerfuffle of late it now emerges as a genuine contender. One question which the media released to date has left unaddressed, however : depth?

• shoptroll says:

I don’t think this is the contender to the D3 throne you’re looking for. That would be Torchlight II.

From what I’ve read, this is single-player and really doesn’t have a randomized loot system, which puts it more in the DeathSpank camp. However, this game is tight. Like really tight and puts a lot of bigger titles to shame.

• Bhazor says:

The game it reminds me of most is probably Lunar Knights on the DS. Linear, top down action focused shooter with rpg loot and advancement. Which is fine by me.

• Rii says:

@shoptroll

Oh I’m aware of that, but it’s like … removing a leviathan like D3 from the equation leaves all sorts of niches in one’s gaming diet that other titles can fill, not all of which Torchlight 2 is likely to fill itself.

Another example of this phenomenon would be if I was given cause to remove Battlefield 3 from my mental list, that would further the prospects of both RO2 and MW3 despite their obviously being rather different titles. There are many axes of consideration.

• Jockie says:

The thing is, where D3 and Torchlight are probably going to be long games, with replay value aplenty, the impression I get from Bastion is that it’s comparatively short (10ish hours), narrative driven and pretty linear.

That doesn’t neccessarily detract from it, as from all accounts it’s rather wonderful, but it’s not really the same kind of game as Torclight or Diablo, ARPG trappings aside.

• JB says:

“axes of consideration” would be a great name for a band.

• PanzerVaughn says:

They could your with the Lasers Of Understanding

• The_B says:

Yeah, Bastion is definitely an excellent game, but it’s doing it a disservice to compare it to either Torchlight or Diablo – the only thing really these games have in common is the straightforward combat mechanics and an isometric viewpoint.
      It’s relatively short, completely linear and fairly easy – but at the same time, it’s streamlined, free of superfluous gumph and flows superbly where you don’t notice – or mind – its linearity. It’s a great game for the short time you spend with it, but it’s not really the same sort of game as Torchlight and Diablo at all.

2. Jimmeh says:

Really looking forward to this one too, great news!

3. shoptroll says:

Soundtrack is also up on BandCamp: http://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/

Quite delicious.

4. Enso says:

My anticipation gland is stimulated!

5. Bhazor says:

Well the reviews so far have been pretty positive. So I’ll be looking forward to this.

But the VA chosen for the narrator is bloody bewildering.

• Diziet Sma says:

VA? If you mean Voice Actor I really like it. It’s what makes me want the game having played through the demo on live.

• Thants says:

The narrator is the main thing that’s making me interested in this game.

6. aego says:

So, with Limbo just out the door, patch 1.0.6 for Terraria coming next week, Bastion on the 16th, From Dust on the 17th and Rock of Ages on the 31st… it’s going to be a difficult period. Not to mention Deux Ex 3 on the 26th. And I’m scared to think of what’s coming in autumn!

7. noodlecake says:

I just peed a bit! :D

8. johnpeat says:

The 360 demo really drew-me-in – the style, music and presentation is a step above most games – the game also appeared to have an almost ‘platformy’ or even ‘arcadey’ level of reflexes needed to progress (as opposed to the usual slog through a tonne of relatively easy enemies that games like this tend to offer).

I’m holding for the PC version tho because the detail and the style seem lost on a BIG TV – I suspect it will all resolve on a monitor better (although I cannot see a mouse/keyboard control mechanism besting the controller setup as it’s quite twitchy).

9. ldemon says:

Playing this on the 360 at the moment and loving it. Any game that allows you to voluntarily make it harder and more challenging in exchange for better rewards goes up in my estimation.

I keep finding new depths to the game and hope it doesn’t end too soon.

• Hatsworth says:

The ability to do that was what made me stick with The World Ends With You even though I disliked the first few hours. Ended up being one of my favorite DS games.

It’s too bad that yet another indie developer is gouging Europeans, 20$ instead of 15$. It might be worth the price, but I don’t want to support that practice unless the amount is miniscule. I’ll probably wait for a sale.

Nice to see that the game is coming to PC so soon despite being part of the XBLA promotion. Sony made a point about investing more in their PSN offering recently; I think $20 million over X years was mentioned. For now, they’re running a promotion with multiplatform titles, but I’m afraid they might try to pay for exclusives like Microsoft has been doing, which would be bad for PC players.

10. Ginger Yellow says:

It’s really good, but I wouldn’t say it’s quite game of the year material. Come on guys, have you forgotten Portal 2?

11. Kradziej says:

No pre-order price cut? Too bad.
    I hope they make the PC controls alright, but basing on the fact that Greg Kasavin is part of Supergiant Games (and he knows SOMETHING about PC gaming), I don’t think this will be an issue.

12. Ergates_Antius says:

I was just thinking I didn’t have enough games. No, wait a minute, I wasn’t.

Goddamnit people, don’t you know I have a job? And the lawn won’t mow itself you know.

13. Lemming says:

Another one to the list! Jesus, I’ve only just started playing Dawn of War 2 and still have its expansions to go through yet. Fuck knows how I’m going to cope with this and Deus Ex as well.

14. Schaulustiger says:

This is a really fine game and it easily outclassed From Dust, at least in my opinion.

I cannot say if it’s GOTY material, but it hit all the right notes for me. It’s utterly beautiful and and while the story is pretty conventional, it’s presented in an absolutely heart-warming way. Bastion was a joy to play and I hold it in high regards.

15. geldonyetich says:

I like everything I’ve heard about Bastion so far. Straight onto my wish list it goes.

16. Durandir says:

Beaten it on 360 twice, one of the best games out this year. Maybe even in my top five for the past five years. The story is told in such a great way, and it is damned good at that. It is rare to play a game where I am really pulled in by the story, but this just gripped me. The gameplay is also immensely fun, the graphics are beautiful and the music is good enough to warrant a buy. Just play the game before you listen to the music, because it ties in with the story in such a brilliant way.

17. Hypocee says:

Wha-ha-ha-haaaaat?! That’s not ‘later this year’, that’s ‘later this’ fucking ‘month’! I had this chalked down as November planned, slip to Q1 2012. What a delightful surprise. Thank you, Supergiant.

18. Daryl says:

I am still back-loaded with games from last year’s summer steam sale. Forget about the stuff I bought this year. I’ll still have to find some way to squeeze this game in though. it looks fantastic.

19. wodin says:

Really digging the reports coming over the tinternet about this game…with RO2 looking like dumbed down bollox my wish list was starting to shrink…but this has managed to hijack a spot in my to buy list.

20. Tony M says:

I’ve just finished this game on the 360. It establishes a really strong mood. Great game.

21. thebigJ_A says:

I played this on my 360box. Honestly, I loved it.

The narrator, oh man is he good. The way he reacts to what you do makes it feel like the story is your own. He’ll comment on what weapons you decide to take, what upgrades and potions. He’ll talk about how you rushed through a level, or didn’t go for a risky chance to get some loot.

The art and music are beautiful. Just wait till you get to Prosper Bluffs!

And yet, it is in no way an “artsy indie game”. This is a hard, old-school game, with tight controls. It takes skill, but the difficulty is adjustable in a very unique way (shrines, you’ll see.)

I’d recommend a gamepad, personally. It’s just what the game was designed for.

22. Setheran says:

Just want to echo some of the praise for this game. It’s small, short, and it’s pure combat, but it has lots of charm and originality.

There’s a lot to be said for the narration – as well as adding meaning and context to what’s happening on screen, it also doubles as a guide and subtle hint system, all without ever interrupting gameplay or taking control away from the player. A good story was the last thing I expected from a pure action game like this, and I think it’s pretty cool that it managed to deliver that while still being that pure action game.

I’ve also been listening to the soundtrack non-stop since beating it. There are some lovely tunes in there – especially the vocal tracks. I’d recommend against listening to it before you’ve played the game, though – a couple of the songs are a nice surprise when you encounter them in the game, and it’d spoil those moments if you’ve heard them beforehand.

23. Berzee says:

Ok, I didn’t believe that the narration thing could be that interesting, and then I opened up the steam page and listened to like…5 seconds of the video…and now I will EVEN play through an anime hack n’slash — just to hear that guy keep talking.

So awesome.