2+3=11: Humble Bundle Adds 5 More Games

By Alec Meer on August 5th, 2011 at 10:15 am.

Never thought I'd get to recycle this image again. Laziness ho!

At this rate, come next week we’ll be running a headline saying ‘The Humble Indie Bundle 3 now includes every videogame every created.’ The latest addition to its ever-expanding pay-what-you-want ranks is last year’s Humble Bundle 2, and the five core games that comprised it. This means that HB3 now comprises [deep breath]:

Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, VVVVVV, Hammerfight, And Yet It Moves, Steel Storm, Braid, Cortex Command, Revenge of the Titans, Machinarium and Osmos. Oh, and access to Minecraft until August 14th.

11 games and a trial, so long as you offer anything over the average HB3 payment of $5.37. The average will obviously change (and most likely increase) over time, so you might want to get in there fast if you don’t reckon you’ll be able to afford more than around $6. So perhaps it’s not entirely pay-what-you-want for the HB3+2 omnipackage, but if you’re prepared to quibble with getting these 11 games for as little as $0.49 per title, I hate you.

If you already paid above the average for HB3, you should find you’ve been retroactively gifted the HB2 games too.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you just want the six HB3-specific games (e.g. because you already have HB2, want to save money or simply fear sensory overload), paying any amount whatsoever still holds, however. There is no requirement whatsoever to also get HB2. If you pay less than the average, you will still receive all six HB3 games and the Minecraft trial.

As always, your payment is split between the games’ various developers and charitable bodies Child’s Play and the Electronic Frontier Foundation. You can set how much goes to which when you pay.

1. MartinNr5 says:

No, you need to pay over the average amount to get the extra games in bundle #2.

2. Baka says:

Nope.
    You have to “Pay more than the average of *” for the old bundle.

3. Alec Meer says:

Just spotted that myself, edited now -thanks.

4. Wilson says:

Still a very good deal, even though you do need the average for the extra five games. 11 games for $5.37! Of course, it would be nice to pay more if you can.

5. Sorvin says:

The average is at the moment 5.37 USD, so need to pay more than that.
    You should hurry up and buy it as well as the average price has been going upward steadily.
    Yesterday morning it was 5.05 USD going up to 5.18 USD in the afternoon and up to 5.37 USD this morning… so the longer you wait the higher the average price will become and thus more expensive.

6. Stormbane says:

I kinda feel I need to buy it again now… $10 wasn’t enough.

• Urthman says:

Go to your download page. There’s an option to throw a few more pennies into the hat after the fact.

7. Corrupt_Tiki says:

But I already have most of those :< and I don't even play them :/

Very good deal though! I just hope they don't milk the bundle/pay what you want idea too much, I would be happier if it was like every 6 months or annually or something.

Maybe I'm just a scrooge.

• LionsPhil says:

I’ve yet to touch any of these since they always seem like “best of” compilations with that one track that got really popular and then a bunch of filler.

And I’ve already bought the only one in the bundle I wanted.

• Shivoa says:

The nice thing about pay what you want is if you feel like the pack has 1 you’ve already got (no value), one you might be interested in, and the rest are filler then you can pay whatever you feel is the right amount, divided into piles for whoever you feel should benefit (no one is stopping you doing a full donation to EFF or Child’s Play and getting Steam/Desura/DRM-free download copies of the games and costing the Humble guys bandwidth to take it – that wouldn’t be a great thing to do but they’re not stopping you).

They’ve also been rather great with grandfathering people in on the deal. My Steam code suddenly added a new game to my account when they released the extra game in the bundle and then when this average-increasing deal went live my download page showed a code for HIB2 (ok, it only unlocked one game for me because I already owned the others but this was: 1/ free, 2/ not something they had to do, and 3/ beyond what I was expecting when I decided how much money I was giving to them). Wouldn’t it be great if buying the Quake pack on Steam meant that this week, when the finally added Quake 4 to the bundle, all the existing purchasers got Quake 4 turning up in their Steam account? Bethesda/id decided not to do that, the Humble guys decided not only to make the HIB2 bonus retroactive but even to offer it to everyone who contributed before the deal was announced (so even if you were below average but acted quickly to buy HIB3 you got HIB2 free).

8. MartinNr5 says:

Yeah, even if the average ends up at $20 it’s still a fantastic deal.

9. Premium User Badge Nero says:

I had all but one from the HB2 bundle but this deal is great and I’m glad I contributed to it.

10. thepaleking says:

But I already paid $5 for these games last year! Now they are FORCING me to buy them again?! Well I am now officially boycotting the humble bundle.

• Alec Meer says:

I can only hope you’re some kind of joker.

• Zelius says:

Yes, please tell us you’re joking.

I’m probably taking the bait here, but no, they’re not forcing you to pay for those games again. If you only want HIB3, you can still pay below average.

• diran says:

Stop, pay troll.

11. Evilpigeon says:

mwahaha I’ma be a dick and give them $50!

• mondomau says:

That’ll learn ‘em!

• 0p8 says:

….do you mean “jew them up“?
      (for ppl that watch JBHV)

• GeorgeB says:

Hey when you use a bigoted statement, don’t back it up by alluding to what I assume is a television program that you deem worthy of identification by acronym (or initialization) alone. Just don’t say it, or at least make it clear where this cringe-worthy line comes from for the rest of us Jews…
      #uughhhh

• IDtenT says:

Bawww much?

• saturnine says:

5 seconds in Google was too much to ask for, apparently:

• 0p8 says:

@georgeB
      listen dude how do know i’m not jewish?….anyway fuck that, its a funny fucking sketch on a fucking funny show that is all (nothing offensive ok?)……chill

12. mondomau says:

I was a bit shocked when I logged in and the ‘default’ price is now $25, but when I considered the extras you’re getting, I couldn’t justify paying less without feeling like a scumbag. Especially when I always give at least half to Child’s Play.

Well played, humble indie bundle, well played.

• redeyedsamurai says:

The Child’s Play Charity isn’t some karmacentric ploy by Chucky to make up for all his victims is it?

13. Nallen says:

I feel I need to buy this in order to sort my karma what with all the money I’ll be dropping on AAA titles soon.

14. Premium User Badge Malibu Stacey says:

The average works out at under £3.50 at present & you get Steam & Desura keys for both bundles.
    I already own most of them on Steam but I just picked it up now to get Revenge of the Titans, VVVVVV & Steel Storm and I bought a gift copy too to send to my cousin since it’s his 13th birthday tomorrow (already bought him Terraria in the Steam summer sale a few weeks ago).

15. ZephyrSB says:

Confuddled by this, logged in the my humble purchase with a miserly donation under the current average by $0.37, to find the extra games added. Although that might have been above average when I actually did it.

I wouldn’t have minded bumping it up to get the bundle I missed. Of course, I’ll have to do that anyway now so I don’t appear like a miserly scumbag. :D

• Premium User Badge Nero says:

Don’t worry, to us you will always be a scumbag. :D

• obowersa says:

It depends on when you bought it.

If it was before the announcement of the extra games then you got the second bundle regardless, if it was after you need to do above the average.

16. Dawngreeter says:

I feel terribly guilty for paying only 6 United Statesian Money Units. Although I did buy every Bundle they had so far, including the Frozenbyte one, and this is the least amount I’ve payed. Which is because I’m nigh-broke at the moment. But still…

• Aninhumer says:

You can always go back and increase your amount when you’re better off. :)

• Dawngreeter says:

Will that be possible even after the bundle sale is over? If that’s the case – awesome!

17. skinlo says:

Its a pity I have close to zero interest in any of the games, otherwise I’d buy it in a shot.

• Optimaximal says:

Why not donate all the money to the charities involved and then gift the resulting Steam keys to a friend instead?

It reserves you a spot in heaven*, honest!

* – heaven does not exist.

• Berzee says:

actually

18. rclesham says:

I wish I could afford to pay a decent amount but they always release these when I’m skint. They are bloody excellent though – even though I’ve not liked as many of the games in this one as I usually do. Steel Storm is good fun though, and if you don’t already have Braid you owe it to yourself to buy it just for that.

• Premium User Badge mrwonko says:

I’m pretty sure you can change your payment (i.e. add more) even after the sale is over.

19. arienette says:

Marvellous, I paid well over the average for this and also was unlucky enough to miss the 2nd bundle, win win I say.

20. Harkkum says:

ermm…how do I get these games?

I see, I had got a new key to activate these games ;) Yay for humblous bundles of humbleness!

21. wujj123456 says:

It seems that as long as you have bought the bundle, you get those games automatically. That might be wrong though, since I paid $10 for the last bundle, and they might be taking that into account as well. Their statistics seems to be an accumulative sum of all humble indie bundles, instead of this bundle only. So it’s possible that they are giving me games based on my total payment.

• roosten says:

I don’t believe that’s the case, Humble Bundle 2 made $1,826,468.75 over 232,855 purchases for an average of $7.84. At time of writing Humble Bundle 3 is at $1,484,457.57 made, 276,252 sold, and $5.37 average, which suggests against any cumulative sum.

22. Scatterbrainpaul says:

YAY, more free to play games

What?

23. McDan says:

Well I finally caved in to the bundle, and it seems like I did so at a good time with all the extra games. And I payed $8, so I feel good, mhm charity.

24. Ins1d3r says:

Actually you don’t have to pay more than the average to get HB2 if you bought HB3 before they added HB2 to it.
    Quote from email:

If you’ve already bought Humble Indie Bundle 3 before 10:30 AM PST this morning, just go to your download page and they will show up next to your other five games.

25. oxymelum says:

Why didn’t they send me an email for this?

26. Dr I am a Doctor says:

How despicable is a man who buys 100 steam codes for one cent each, and after the HIB closes down, sells them on ebay?

• princec says:

Highly despicable. And we know who you are, and we have written a personal recommendation to Satan to give you extra special treatment. This will involve selling your soul to an infinite number of daemons for 1 cent each, only to have them redeem your soul and torture it on Steam, for eternity.

Cas :)

• apa says:

But then it would be a lot easier just to buy it once, download just the installers without the Steam DRM and sell copies of those in eBay. However that would be real piracy with money involved so it would be a lot more exciting too!

• RegisteredUser says:

Right. Because people are going to buy DRM free, easily copyable, massively torrented games via ebay as a form of piracy as opposed to clicking a torrent and sitting back.

27. Kilrathi says:

These bundles go to 11. I only paid 10 dollars which is a disgrace but when money comes my way, I’ll make sure the indie’s get their pay.

28. rustybroomhandle says:

And if you guys just feel like donating to Child’s Play, you’re welcome to join the folks at http://www.qubetubers.com who will be raising funds for that charity this whole weekend on their Minecraft live streaming site. And nay it’s not a scam, we did it last year too and it was a huge success*.
    * makes a note

• Berzee says:

People don’t donate to charities unless you can trick them. This is why those weird marathon sponsorship things exist. Donating money to the charity without a random good or service or the-suffering-of-out-of-shape-coworkers attached just seems so…crass and capitalistic.

Or something. =P

Also: “* makes a note” — HA

29. MOKKA says:

This is great, now I have enough games to keep me entertained for at least the rest of this month!

30. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Heh. This news got me to get over there and get them now (otherwise I’d have got them later) and ended up paying quite a bit more than I intended to. But I do want to support the developers and charity, so.. it’s all for the best, really. The fact that I’m not interested in some and already have others seems inconsequential.

Good of them to raise the bar for both bundles to at least the average. This will hopefully reduce the amount of scumbaggery.

31. Oneironaut says:

Atom Zombie Smasher has been added to bundle 3. You’re insane if you don’t buy this package(unless you own the games already)

• tenseiga says:

just came back to this story to mention this but you beat me to it. Its actually the first of the bundles games i am genuinely enjoying.

32. Frank says:

Cool! Didn’t notice Atom Zombie Smasher was added.

Oh, and neither did you, it seems.

33. Knef says:

Oh, the amount of cool Linux games I gathered in the last few days. I love the Humble Indie Bundle.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Yeah, I’m kinda shocked. I had no idea so many games supported Linux. Sure, it’s pretty easy if you use SDL or OpenGL or whatever, but I didn’t realize all these games actually did it. It reaffirms my theory that developing simultaneously for all three major desktop platforms is often the right thing to do these days.

34. Bilbo says:

As a side note, starting to get really pissed off with your habit of linking to your tagged posts using just the name of the thing.

If you’ve got a hyperlink that says The Humble Indie Bundle 3 it should fucking go to that, not more of your posts about it. If i’m clicking the link I’m already going to the site. You’ve done your job, i’m happy and informed and i’ve read your ads, so shut the fuck up now, etc.

I don’t mean to be harsh, but it’s an infuriating sort of thing to be doing and I feel like you’ve only started recently, so lets’ nip this shit in the bud shall we?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

It’s true! That really is annoying, and I think it has been that way a long time. SEO maybe.

• Bilbo says:

Super annoying. Makes me rage.

As a side note, the HIB is never any good for me because I always already have everything that looks any good in it. I appreciate what they’re doing, I think it’s great, but who’s it for?

35. phenom_x8 says:

Yesterday my email account was beeping and showed me about 5 more games was added into my HIB account. This morning my email account was beeping again and showed me that 1 more games already been added in my account. What will happens tomorrow morning?? More game I wish :)

There’s never been a day as beautiful as this two last days (and lucky me it was my 1st HIB after skipping its prequel due to the lack of paypal account)

36. RegisteredUser says:

So I did a good thing by unquestioningly buying all three bundles ASAP and before any addons and bonuses got tacked on top.

I might not have done such a great thing by paying 1$ each(= same price as a bar of chocolate, about my measuring stick for the enjoyment equivalent).

Out of all 3 bundles, I think I played a few levels of revenge of the titans, realized it was a “play yourself into a shit corner without any decent guidance and no fun way of winning the harder stuff” crapfest(= definitely not as fun as slowly eating a great bar of chocolate over several days), and then shrugged and just hoped that somehow, in a little way, it overall kinda helped the indie people that I even bothered.

And one last thing? Revenge of the titans even had an anti-memory hack/cheat check that accelerated all the titans if you edited your funds.
    What, you had the time to program in 50 gazillion checks and balances for your memory management, but not enough to create a decent visually structured tech/research tree or balance out the game in a way that allowed you to progress without ending up frustrated and mismanaged due to lack of random experimentation? You sour, codemonkey-only freak! Some set of priorities those are!

37. Cake Hunter says: