The RPS Bargain Bucket: Back Into Bed

By Lewie Procter on August 6th, 2011 at 11:55 am.

I may be grumpy, and have a horrible cold this weekend, but that doesn’t stop the games from being cheap. Games are always cheap. For evidence of this phenomenon, consult with the constantly updated record of gaming value I keep over at SavyGamer.co.uk. You ponder these cheap games, and I’m going to crawl back into bed. Could someone bring me a Lemsip with a splash of Southern Comfort please?

Section 8: Prejudice – £3.62/€4.16/$5.95
Presumably “Prejudice” in the title refers to the fact that this is part of a shooter sale that is only on the USA D2D site, not the UK one. Luckily most European countries are allowed to buy Section 8: Prejudice from the USA site, including the UK, so it should be purchasable for most of you. I hear this is pretty good, are any of you lot playing it regularly these days?

Pathologic – £3.98/€2.49/$2.49
Ooof, that’s a bit harsh regional pricing bollocks against the mighty Pound Sterling there. What did we do to deserve that? That Quinns fella said this of Pathologic:

Interesting elements of Pathologic included its magical realist plot, its morally ambiguous tone that saw you making all sorts of horrible decisions, how it made you as a player start thinking similarly to the healer you chose, its moments of horror and its uniquely cruel and unrelenting atmosphere. Playing Pathologic felt like having a noose slowly tighten around your neck, both mechanically and narratively, and that more gamers didn’t get the most out of it at release is to be lamented. All together now: What a shame.

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter – £3.24/€3.24/$3.74
Registers on Steam.
The Kieron bloke has got this one covered.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution – £19.99
I think that this is probably UK only, but since I’m not outside the UK, I can’t test this theory. Shopto is a UK online retailer that has just launched their download service, and this is one of many rather excellent launch offers they have going. Here, instead of buying it from Steam, you buy from Shopto, and get emailed a code to plug into Steam when it comes out. This is £10 cheaper than the Steam price. It appears to be the [Bog Standard Edition], so it doesn’t have any of the stuff they are only including in the more expensive versions. RPS coverage here.

Deal of the Week
The Longest Journey – 98p
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey – 98p
Another of those excellent launch offers from Shopto. Here’s John’s retrospective on The Longest Journey:

The Longest Journey almost vanished away unnoticed, another obscurity ranted about by a few, but never reaching any acclaim. In the mire of pre-millennial adventure gaming, it could so easily have been drowned by the density of its peers, ignored by pessimism, never given the chance it so strongly deserved. How it was joyously liberated from this fate is mysterious. And in mystery, there is magic. In The Longest Journey, there is magic.

And head over to Eurogamer for his retrospective of Dreamfall.

Also of note:
The Elder Something: Morrowind [Goatee Edition] & The Elder Something: Oblivion [Goatee Edition Deluxe], PC – £10.99/€14.99/$14.99
Might & Magic Promo at GOG
Darksiders – £4.99/€4.99/$4.99. Registers on Steam.
The A.Typical RPG – 79p/€0.99/$1.49
Far Cry 1 + 2 – £4.99/€6.25/$6.25
Introversion Complete Pack – £11.99/€19.99/$19.99
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars – The Director’s Cut – 98p
Magicka – £1.99. Registers on Steam (so data smuggler friendly).
Death to Spies: Gold Edition – 98p
The Humble Indie Bundle 3 has three and a half days left
Quakecon Pack 2011 – £49.99/€69.99/$69.99. Includes all id and Bethesda games (that are on Steam).

I command you to visit SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. Hirmetrium says:

BUY SECTION 8 PREJUDICE. NOW. SERIOUSLY. WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE.

Also, Darksiders and Magicka!

• Colonel J says:

Requirements:
      Games for Windows Live Account

Gah. Is this unavoidable?

• Lobotomist says:

No. It says Your IP is restricted for this game.

Good job going with GFWL !

• FakeAssName says:

just stab a picture of Bill Gates as you put in “USA” for your country when setting up an account, GFWL is quite functionally reliable once you get past them pretending that north America is the only serviceable location on earth.

• Lobotomist says:

Nope. D2D does not let me purchase.

How amusing

• Alexander Norris says:

Colonel J: it was released on XBLA simultaneously and is a multiplayer game, so yes, sadly. Still a really good game despite this.

• Petethegoat says:

I bought Section 8 a while ago and it froze about 25 seconds after starting a game

would not purchase again

• malkav11 says:

I’m still here because I’m interested in Section 8: Prejudice but in no particular hurry to buy it. Direct2Drive is probably my least favorite digital distributor (for starters, they charge sales tax. Steam doesn’t. Gamersgate doesn’t. I’m pretty sure Beamdog doesn’t. Etc.), and it’s sold on Steam and probably Gamersgate as well. So I’m perfectly content to wait for the sale that one of those two will no doubt have on it in the future.

• Dozer says:

I don’t know anything about the game, so I watched the trailer. Now I know it looks a lot like Halo. Why is this game worthwhile?

(disclaimer: it’s a moot point to me. Rumours of GFWL and general meh-ness towards FPS mean I’m not buying this unless it’s actually Half Life 3.)

2. Valvarexart says:

You mention the Elder Scroll package, but you don’t mention the quakecon package? Madness!

• Lewie Procter says:

Oh, hang on a sec. I did mean to.

• SamfisherAnD says:

I’m contemplating whether to get DEHR ): I found the first game OK, 7.5-8/10 but not GREAT although I only played it last year and not at launch years ago so whatever revolution (heh) it caused in terms of gameplay are kinda lost to me >.< Convince me!

• Chalkster says:

If crazy-stylish posthuman-themed choice-filled great shooter and stealth gameplay with an engaging storyline and believable dialogue aren’t enough for you, I cannot help you(although I say this as someone who has never played the previous games).

I don’t really see a reason for me to not buy Human Revolution. It appeals to all of my game boners. All of them.

• SamfisherAnD says:

But look at Invisible War….

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Invisible War was post-posthuman. Doesn’t count.

• SamfisherAnD says:

Also, priced has increased to 24.85

3. Decimae says:

The Humble Indie Bundle has even another game, BTW, Atom Zombie Smasher, if you’re interested in that.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I paid 3 € for Atom Zombie Smasher during the summer sale. love it. It’s hard though. This Humble Bundle is seriously bonkers.

• Inglourious Badger says:

Assuming you’ve already played Braid, then Atom Zombie Smasher is the best game in the bundle now. Also bought it in the steam sale and have had loads of fun with it already, and still haven’t beaten it on anything other than ‘casual’ mode. It is hard but there’s some kind of terrible enjoyment in watching your city being slowly (and then too quickly) being overrun by the zombies despite your best efforts.

• Heliocentric says:

AZS is the nearest thing to my dream of a natural disaster simulator, evacuate, set up aid facilities, fend off attacks on aid convoys by militias… that’s without even thinking about the effects of flood/plague/earthquake/fire/ai singularity/zombies.
      The way randomised units screw you over is part of its charm in the way almost no other strategy game could manage because of the fact that good and bad days are expected, its about salvation of the bad and making the best of the good.
      Keystone moments include:
      Dropping bombs on civilians who are unsavable/unfavourable because its better the fire takes them than the hunger.
      Watching a huddled mass of evacuees turn into your greatest opponent.
      Watching a tiny cluster wander through the ruined streets fleeing from zombies only for you to manage saving them by helivac surrounded by cannon blasts.
      The first time you deploy barricades against the giant zombies and realise the rules had changed and you didn’t realise.
      Blowing through a structure to save fleeing human/allow better baiting of zombies.
      It’s a very good game

4. frenz0rz says:

Even though I already have the Dreamfall collectors edition (which also comes with TLG), I’m tempted to buy both games again just to have them on Steam.

Damn you, internet!

5. Colonel J says:

The Last Express Collectors Edition €2.79 at DotEmu

A mighty €1.20 saving on full price but whatever, it’s great, get it.

6. Paul says:

Soe does shopto work in rest of Europe, like Czech Republic?

• patricij says:

Just giving it a try

• LTK says:

Deus Ex: HR does not have regional restrictions in this case, so yes. I already pre-ordered it from D2D, which was 10 pounds more expensive. I’m not sure I should cancel the first and pre-order from ShopTo instead, because I’m not entirely comfortable with websites saving my credit card data. Does anyone have more experience with this webstore?

• Lewie Procter says:

I’ve bought stuff from them plenty of times. Pretty good service.

Edit: Not tried the downloads yet though.

• patricij says:

I ordered the Death to Spies Gold download and it let me…if it let me download it is another matter, however, I’m waiting…and yeah, deleting my cc details

• Baka says:

Preordered / paid for two Deus Ex: HR just now. Germany.
      @LTK: Had to type in my CC details three times, for accounn creation and because you couldn’t preorder two units of the game at once. So no saving there I presume.

€: Disregard that, they’re still saving the details, just force you to re-type them every single click. Pretty weird.

• Colonel J says:

I’ve bought plenty of console games from ShopTo though not used them for a few years. They had very good service & excellent quick delivery, they were my preferred place for retail copies & preorders. Assuming they’re still as reliable I’d have no qualms at all buying from them again.

• Magical Melvin says:

Just had a gander at ShopTo.

Tried to buy and download Dreamfall & Longest Journey and have not received any details about where I can download it – no link or anything.

They’ve billed me for it though, twice in fact, which is just marvellous…

Remind me never to use that website again.

• patricij says:

That’s more or less my current experience…I was overcharged about 0.52 pound for some reason (which now sits there as some kind of store credit) and I haven’t got any links, either by email or on the web…Oh golly

• andytt66 says:

Magical Melvin :
      go to the shopto.net website, log in and go to “my account”.
      from there, select the “downloads” option from the “my orders” menu.
      that will list the downloads you’ve bought from shopto.net, along with keys and relevant download links.
      (Only know this because I’ve just bought Pirates of the Black Cove from them for 1.99.. turns out they’d mistyped the price. Still let me buy it mind you. It’s not the easiest thing to find I grant you, but there’s certainly an argument for not emailing keys around in the clear)

• Revisor says:

They bill your card one pound after the account creation and give it back to you as store credit.

• IdleHands says:

@andytt66

I’m having the same problem as Magical Melvin (apart from the double charging thing), and my downloads tab in my account is completely empty.

I’ve opened a ticket with them but they don’t currently have a way to open a ticket about digital downloads, only physical orders (at least from what I could find). They also seem to lack an ability to track digital downloads. From the looks of it they aren’t very prepared opening a digital download service, but everything has kinks at the start maybe they’ll improve and this is a mere blip of error.

• Savage Henry says:

Same thing here. I’ve been emailed the bill, but no sign of the purchases on the download list. Looks like my business with this company is going to be a one-off.

• neolith says:

The whole shopto thing looks a bit weird to me. Why do I have to register a CC when I want to pay via paypal?

Well, would’ve loved to buy The Longest Journey, but unfortunately I cannot. :(

• Magical Melvin says:

@andytt66

Nothing in my downloads folder either!

Ah well, lets see what happens in the next few days…

• mpk says:

I’m in the same boat with ShopTo – bought and been charged for TLC/Dreamfall, no email after the one confirming the charge to my card, and nothing in the orders or download tab of my account. Not impressed!

EDIT: Also a bit concerned that they say to contact the “no-reply” email address with concerns. These addresses are usually no-reply for a reason.

• andytt66 says:

Magical Melvin / IdleHands :
      Fair enough, sounds like shopto.net might be having some issues when it comes to “downloads”. Good to know, I think in future I might stick with steam myself. Well, unless shopto mistype a price again and it becomes worth the risk.

• mazzratazz says:

I have the same problem as the others here, pair for/billed for Longest Journey, but no sign of a download option anywhere. The download section of my account is empty as well.

Good thing it was only a euro and a half, otherwise I might be upset right about now. Who knows, perhaps they’ll fix the issue in the end.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

So shopto have, after several emails, refunded me my 1.96 for Longest Journey and Dreamfall because supposedly the game is no longer available (though how that works for a download I really don’t know).

Can’t say I will be using them again after this, and I would advise others to do the same.

7. patricij says:

Death To Spies: the first one might have STARFORCE, so be careful if you have bad experience with this one and/or don’t like an intrusive Russian Rootkit on your PC as I do. The second one should be considerably OK, SecuRom or something

8. Web Cole says:

Lemsip and Southern Comfort? Is that a thing? /Intrigued

9. TNG says:

Pathologic shows up at €4.98 so take that Pound Sterling! the Euro gets an even worse deal on regional pricing (as usual)

10. Ham Solo says:

Quakecon Pack 2011
    Includes not 35, but satisfying 12 Games/DLCs for german customers for the same prize. Why? F*ck you, that’s why.

• johnpeat says:

In fairness, it’s your Government who thinks you’re all potential serial killers and censors/bans stuff.

It’s hardly Steam/Bethesda/iDs fault you’re ruled by nannies.

• Alexander Norris says:

No, but it is Steam’s/Bethesda’s/id’s fault for offering a third of the package for the same price instead of a third of the price, or not offering it at all.

• johnpeat says:

Not really – Steam doesn’t have a German-specific price structure/store (AFAIK) and so they’d have to do different bundles for most of Europe (and everyone who’s not in Germany would moan) or create bundles which aren’t what they really want to offer/dilute the point of the deal.

End of the day the problem is that there’s a stupid law in Germany and that needs to be dealt with by Germans (ditto the same issues in Aus and anywhere else politicians are treating the people they’re supposed to work FOR, like children).

• JFS says:

It’s still a little sad that Steam doesn’t really take regional laws, non-existent oceans or currency differences into account. I know, they can’t be blamed for everything, but they’re the market leader in digital game distribution, and I think they could do better. If they wanted to.

11. Lambchops says:

Buy The Longest Journey and Dreamfall now people!

Also Darksiders is still showing up at 20 quid for me, is there some sort of code required?

• mihor_fego says:

Actually the Darksiders offer was yesterday… at least I saw a timer ending this morning. I know cause I bought it with 2 hours left.

• Lambchops says:

Oh well, another time then, it’s not like I really need any more games, especially with Deus Ex around the corner.

12. gandrewsan says:

Anyone tried the Shopto download deals yet? Bought The Longest Journey and Dreamfall yesterday and not had any email past the confirmation of charges and nothing appears in the downloads part of my account tab. I’m pretty stupid though so odds are good the problem’s in my puny human brain rather than their Skynet-esque systmes.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Don’t think it’s your puny brain. I am a genius, and I can’t download from shopto either at the moment so I’m fairly sure there is a problem with the site. I’ve had the confirmation of charges e-mail too and on it, it says:

“Shortly you should receive an email with the details of your order, in the event the email should not arrive in the next 5 minutes please Login to your account and click the Order Tab.”

But no further email has been received and the Order tab (and download tab) are both blank when I check on the website.

They are a fairly longstanding site for delivering games through the post, as Lewie has said, so I’m not overly concerned, but it’s not exactly a good first impression for a download service is it?

Others may wish to hold off until it can be confirmed that everything is working properly.

• IdleHands says:

It does seem like the site is somewhat borked. I’m having the exact same issue, no email after the card charged one and nothing appearing in my orders tab. Maybe it’s just slow due to a sheer amount of people using the service? Anway I’m going to give it a bit more time and then get in contact.

• Magical Melvin says:

Same problem.

Have contacted them about the issue, but it says it could take them a couple of days to get back to me.

Really really irritating, I hate that they bill you before you get any download link – its just a little bit scammy.

• andytt66 says:

I got the Pirates of Black Cove for 1.99 deal yesterday, went through without a hitch, links are in the downloads section, installed fine and am currently downloading a 900mb(!) patch.

However, since it was apparently due to them mistyping the price, I guess they may have taken bits of their site down afterwards to fix it all.

13. KindredPhantom says:

Section 8 Prejudice is actually a lot cheaper at the UK D2D site than the US one. It comes to $7.14/£4.35 on the US D2D with tax compared to £3.95 at the UK D2D site.

14. kwyjibo says:

GAME have BRINK for £8 in store, which is cheaper than the Steam deal. It’s a Steamworks game too.

• johnpeat says:

That’s not a bad deal – it’s only £8 more than it’s worth, instead of – say – £14.99 more of £29.99 more ;)

• Chalkster says:

It’s worth a play, got some fun stuff in there, but it’s sad they screwed up the execution so badly. If the game hadn’t got caught in a freak internet hatestorm, I think nobody would be saying much about it at all, instead of this stupid bandwagon stuff. The marketing certainly didn’t help. It was an alright game, just way overhyped.

• kwyjibo says:

The problem with a team based online shooter, is that everyone asks, “Is it better than TF2?”

And the answer is no.

15. pupsikaso says:

Anyone know if Darksiders is a good port? I bought it for the PS3, but I get to play that so rarely that I can’t even finish the game.

• Tei says:

I suppose is the exact same game. So if you already have it on the console, I don’t see the point in buying it again. Maybe higuer resolution screen?. I don’t think is a bad port, has it seems to work correctly, but is not a port that addapt any of the gameplay to the PC ways, even slighty.

• adonf says:

I played it on the PC and found no reasons to complain about the quality of the port, and I love to complain.

16. Eagle0600 says:

I see you’re taking a diplomatic poke at the Bethesda/Mojang thing. Well played.

17. BarneyL says:

Green Man Gaming are doing a build your own Sega bundle at £5 for 10 games, might be worth a look if the games you want are split over the fixed packs you have to pick from elsewhere.
    It’s an interesting idea though and I’d love to see others pick up the build your own bundle thing rather than forcing us to buy duplicate copies.

• iLag says:

more important, they have lots and lots of Total War games for cheap money – the best price for Shogun 2 yet, I think. all of those come with Steam keys, too.

…so let’s keep ignoring them and buy at Shopto instead. oh, wait. apparently not such a good idea. trololo.

• Ryz says:

I have to admit, the constant snubbing of Green Man Gaming has gone from ‘mildly amusing’ to ‘irritating.’

• Jimbo says:

The sweetcorn dudes?

• BarneyL says:

But Green Man Gaming is apparently evil because, erm it’s a secret.
      LOOK BEHIND YOU A THREE HEADED MONKEY!!!!!
      Personally I’ve not had an issue with them, the DRM is pretty light compared to many, the prices can be good and the whole trade in thing is a bonus even if the credit you get is low.

18. ChiefOfBeef says:

Tempted to get Human Revolution just to prove to myself how unworthy of Deus Ex it really is.

Yes, I went there, again.

19. mod the world says:

Another nice deal:
    Tropico 3 + Expansion Absolute Power for £3.19 on GamersGate:

20. Solidstate89 says:

You makin’ fun of my Elder Scrolls there Lewie?

21. meatshit says:

Anyone from the US have any luck using shopto? I tried to register an account but kept getting a “3130 : The BillingState value is too long” error.

22. Jimmy says:

Red Orchestra 2 is on presale on Steam, with 20% off for those with the first game on their Steam account, 10% otherwise.

23. Vinraith says:

Fair Warning: Retail versions of Dreamfall carry Starforce copy protection, no idea if shopto’s do as well.

24. malkav11 says:

Worth noting – if you preorder Rage and/or Skyrim first, the Quakecon Pack will be discounted further. I decided I wanted both games, so that knocked the Quakecon Pack down to $40.

Since the games in question are $60 and Steam takes your money immediately for preorders, this is not exactly economical, but if you were going to preorder ‘em anyway…

25. SquareWheel says:

Sorry shopto.net, I refuse to purchase from a website that has 70% of the page taken of by banner ads.

26. Snuffy the Evil says:

Also of note: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is 20% off for people who already own the first game.

27. fitzroy_doll says:

I see that Dead Island is also on sale via Steam – pre order for £29.99, down from…£39.99

I will probably wait until it is on sale again, but if you’re dying to play it on release day then this is for you.

28. Squirrelfanatic says:

Also, Desperados 2 for cheap on Gamersgate:

29. Hatsworth says:

It’s worth noting that the gog sale includes the recently released Heroes Chronicles pack. 8 small campaign “expansions” that have been hard to get hold of.

30. SamfisherAnD says:

DEHR just increased in price, showing as 24.85 pounds as of now.

Comment on this story