Top 10 PC Games: Steam Vs. Shops

By John Walker on August 8th, 2011 at 11:58 am.

Steam, having sales.

People who go into shops are different from people who go into internets. There’s proof. Head below to take a look at the stark difference between the top 10 PC games at retail last week, and the top 10 games on Steam.

Of course, Steam sales make a difference. But here’s a thing. Game shops used to have PC sales. Even better, publishers used to deliberately re-release their games after a few months at cheaper prices. It was called budget games. I spent over a decade writing about that for a magazine. But it happens no more, the boxes only ever being lowered in price by the shops themselves, with years-old games still lingering at idiotic tags over £30. Shops: you’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

So, here’s what Shop People have been buying, via Chart Track:

5) RAGE
6) From Dust
7) BRINK
8) Call of Duty: Black Ops – Annihilation
9) Portal 2
10) Deus Ex: Human Revolution

It’s incredible that only one game appears on both lists. Also, that two of Steam’s games aren’t out for months, and yet are being pre-ordered heavily enough to chart. Also, the Sims.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. RianXD says:

this comparison is pointless. you should have done it at least a few days after the sale.

….. sorry.

• Bats says:

What he’s saying is the sale is contributing to what people buy. There’s a promo right now, you get the Quakecon pack for $40 if you order Skyrim or Rage.

• Cinek says:

1. Statistics should be taken from some period of time. Best: Few months. Minimum: One month. Not 1 week as Steam does it (or whatever time period they use).
      2. Period from which stats are taken shouldn’t include any big sales from either distributor, or they both should have identical sales.
      3. Both subjects of statistics should apply to the same geographical region. These do not.

Flawed comparison is flawed.

• Flibberdy says:

I’m sure if it wasn’t for the sale steam would mostly be selling copes of The Sims….

• Chris D says:

“This comparison is pointless. you should have done it at least a few days after the sale.”

We’re talking about Steam here. If you wait a few days after a sale there’s another sale.

• Vandelay says:

Really, you should be saying the comparison is pointless not because of the Steam’s sale on a single publisher, but because GAME is having a shop wide sale, as can be seen by the giant “GAME Sale now on!” posters outside all their stores.

The fact the sale is shit (at least, for PC games) means you don’t even notice, kind of what John is pointing out in this article.

• Glycerine says:

Oddly, the Sale does seem to have gotten BRINK into the Steam charts, even though the sale price was actually still more expensive than it’s been at retail for a while now.

A few other people have mentioned too, this isn’t an irregular occurrence, retail actually seem to be very good at quickly dropping the price of new PC releases (i guess because they’re not selling too well, because the only people who go to retail for games nowadays are people who want The Sims and Football Manager). I think the problem is actually some inconsistency – it’s difficult to know whether they’re going to be dropping the prices on game X or not, and people being so used to them gouging everybody with ridiculous prices that they don’t bother to check anymore.

Of course, if people flocked back to retail because of the lower prices, then they wouldn’t bother reducing the prices anymore, and we’d be back where we started.

For reference, Brink special edition is £7.98 with free delivery in Gamestation right now (i think the steam sale had it at £14.99 or thereabouts):

• malkav11 says:

Perhaps in the UK they start discounting PC games quickly. Here in the US they just set their single copy of the game on the shelf and proceed to ignore it.

• bill says:

When i popped back to the UK it was interesting that, while GAME had a pretty small selection of PC games, I could pick up quite a few recent ones in 3 for 10gbp, 3 for 15gbp or 3 for 20gbp deals, which actually made lots of things like dragon age cheaper than steam.

Also, flawed comparison my be flawed for scientific purposes, but (a) it’s all we have, and (b) it’s interesting as a general trend.

• hjarg says:

Ok, but take QuakeCon pack and Brink out and… you’ll see still quite a difference between Steam and brickmortar. Hmm, i’d like to see Steam top10 without these.
      Rather, i’d say different demographics use stores and Steam.

• DrGonzo says:

It has to be done during a sale. That’s what he’s trying to show you dummy. That Steam sales make a huge difference to sales. If you removed them it would also make the stats useless and biased as Steam always has some kind of sale on and is the basis of their business model.

• nimnio says:

Wait, wait: are you saying that I shouldn’t cite this blog post in my master’s thesis? Crap! My supervisor’s really going to chew me out.

On the other hand: get over yourself. An blog post comparing sales charts doesn’t need to be scientifically rigorous, nor does everything need to be scientifically rigorous to have intellectual value.

• bansama says:

@Cinek “(or whatever time period they use).”

I seem to recall it being revenue based, refreshing every 4 to 6 hours. So yeah it really is rather pointless to try and compare Steam’s “top 10″ to sales figures that are tracked over a longer period of time, especially if those sales are based on units shipped and not revenue made.

• mead says:

What the hell?? Geez, you guys can buy Brink cheaply. Looking at Steam from Australia, it’s priced at $89.99 USD, that’d be 55.10 GBP. Bethesda basically don’t want to sell Brink here.

• mickygor says:

Wow, that sucks mead. I’d definitely make use of paypal, a foreign friend and game gifting a lot if I were you.

2. DSR says:

SHOP PEOPLE!

Y U NO BUY GOOD GAMES???

3. Primar says:

PC gaming is dead!

Long live PC gaming!

4. Diziet Sma says:

I’d be interested if we could get a chart from steam that excluded bundles and pre-orders, or a chart from whomever bluesnews sourced from that included pre-orders.

Or even better, actual numbers! :D

5. KikiJiki says:

This is disingenuous.
    You can’t buy Skyrim on Steam in the UK due to some stupid exclusivity deal GAME have or some such, so the differences in product availability don’t really make this data comparable.

Edit: Actually what the heck is this post even supposed to prove? No shit the results will be different given that pre-orders in retail stores aren’t really tracked due to no money down, the aforementioned product availability for different regions of steam and the fact that the UK retail chart tracks the UK, whereas Steam tracks…..Steam!

6. Lars Westergren says:

And the week before that on Steam:

3. Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
    4. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
    10. Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues

Makes me happy.

• patricij says:

Because the first two were on sale at some point in the week. Therefore, it is inconclusive..

• Newblade says:

Actually, that is the whole point.

• Lars Westergren says:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s inconclusive at all: The conclusion is that digital distribution helps the Long Tail effect – really good games can continue to make the publishers profits long after release, through customer word-of-mouth. They don’t disappear from the shelves after a couple of weeks to make room for newer titles, like in the old days.

Therefore hopefully publishers feel less pressured to only bet on the #1 blockbusters, which become increasingly similar to each other.

• Cinek says:

Well, that’s where my hope is put in DDistribution. As far as I hate it from the principle – it has a potential to encourage developers creating quality products, one that will bring long-term profits thanks to whispering marketing. Not just work like a cinema movie – invest 1 billion in adverts, gain 2 billions profits in first month, close the business. Cause that’s what we have now from companies like EA (at least on consoles they try a bit more spamming DLCs for some titles)

• Nalano says:

@ patricij

The point is basically that sales work.

• Wulf says:

@Lars

That makes me happy, too.

Plus: Old World Blues was amazing.

Tesla Coils. THE COILS OF NIKOLA TESLA. We put them in your head.

• Arglebargle says:

On the ‘Long Tail’ effect: I think you can add modding to the influences that reall help. For years after its release, Morrowind was in the top twenty of game sales. Great game, but profoundly helped by its modding community, which kept things fresh. It lived on my hard drive for three years, and is back on again too.

Yay, for good older games! (If they have good user interfaces…)

7. StuffedCabbage says:

Too bad if you live in Australia. You have to mortgage your house to pre-purchase Skyrim and Rage. $89.99 each on Steam. Looks like I’ll be buying retail.

• Zarunil says:

I genuinely feel sorry for Australian gamers who don’t pie-rate everything. You have my sincere condolances.

• Orija says:

Try the Steam smuggling ring but, yea, those purchases are a tad bid too expensive to risk putting your trust into random strangers with seemingly funny names.

• Bob says:

Have you noticed since the Aussie dollar has been doing well the price for new releases on Steam seems to have increased? Surely they should be a little cheaper.

Anyhow, in a lot of cases, the games on sale at EB games here are still more expensive than they are in comparison to Steam’s regular price.

• JFS says:

It’s only a little more expensive than what they want in Germany (and the rest of Europe except for the UK, I guess). The standard new-AAA-game price is around 50 €, if Amazon or Steam don’t have sales going on. That’s nearly 70 AUSD, so don’t be sad (Modern Warfare 2, for example, went for 60 €, we got you there). You aren’t the only ones being fucked ;)

• mead says:

Modern Warfare 2 is still USD$89.99 on Australian Steam. How much in Germany at the moment?

• dc says:

@mead: 39.99€ which equals 55$ AU. So you win ;-)

Those weird prices are exactly the reason why I either wait for sales on steam or order via D2D or some UK internet shop. Usually saves at least 10 Euros and if you don’t have to play everything on the first day it comes out…

8. mod the world says:

Smart people save money and buy in retail shops. It’s almost always cheaper than buying on Steam, especially newly released games.

• Newblade says:

Smart people buy wherever is cheaper, whether it is retail or Steam in a give point. Not taking into account that most inde games aren’t available in retail.

• Rikard Peterson says:

(Comment removed since someone else posted the same thing at the same time, rendering my comment useless.)

• RakeShark says:

Geniuses know and preach these things, but lose themselves to impulse purchases when pre-ordering Skyrim gives you FREE TF2 HAT! I WANT THAT HAT! CANNOT BUY FAST ENOUGH!

Oh dear, what did I just do?

• plosnati says:

@mod the world: It depends what country you’re in. I’m in Norway, and buying on Steam (new titles or not) saves me a good deal of money, even after the switch to €.

• Jumwa says:

Save money in retail shops? I can’t remember the last time any of the games retailers in my city sold a game for less than $30. And that was a used copy of a console sports game from 1998.

I kid, but not so much.

9. neems says:

Budget pc games still exist, my ‘local’ Game has racks of them at various price points – typically £4.99 / 3 for £10 and £9.99 / 2 for £15. And they are proper budget games with cut down packaging and pdf manuals etc, not just normal games at reduced prices (well some of them anyway).

On a related note, does anybody have any opinions on whether Dungeon Seige 3 or Op Flash : Red River are worth picking up for £12.98?

• StuffedCabbage says:

Dungeon Seige 3 was a let down in my opinion. Red River is not bad, although I haven’t put the time into it to form a proper opinion.

• Mana_Garmr says:

Yeah, at least half of what little space my local Game devotes to the PC is taken up by “White Label” and “Sold Out” versions of older games. It’s actually not a bad way to pick up stuff you missed a while back at decent prices.

• Zarunil says:

I wouldn’t buy Dungeon Siege III, it was terrible. Can’t say about Operation Flashpoint.

• Lars Westergren says:

I liked Dungeon Siege 3, and for that price I think you should get it.

The story wasn’t up to Obsidian’s usual standards, but combat was challenging and enjoyable, and it was very polished and bug free (a first for them, and hopefully a sign of things to come). Recommend you use a controller though.

• neems says:

Thank you for your responses. I have a controller, so I think I might have a crack at the DS3 demo that I can see on Steam.

Or I could patiently wait for Bastion and From Dust to come out I guess. Why Ubisoft, why?

• D3xter says:

There’s also increasingly more Keyshops offering low(er)-priced new games using the “positive effect” of “globalisation” by just offering Retail keys from other regions like Eastern Europe or Russia etc. e.g.: http://gamekeyfinder.de/

• Kryopsis says:

I did like Dungeon Siege III as well. In fact, as much as I love Obsidian, I was surprised by the fact that Dungeon Siege III has a proper combat system, unlike the company’s other titles. I do agree with Lars, though: you do need to play the game with a controller.

• Jason Moyer says:

DS3 works fine with the keyboard now that they’ve fixed the controls. The camera still sucks but what are you gonna do. At least you can assign A and D to strafing now instead of rotating the camera.

10. sacrovir says:

Theyre not necessarily different. I love digital downloads but am forced to buy physical products because i live in Germany.
    Here Steam wants €49.99 for Rage for example. Amazon UK want £25.70. Even with the £5 delivery and conversion its significantly cheaper.
    Unlike with itunes i cant even change my store to the UK store, although i have a UK credit card.

11. simonh says:

I’m guessing this only applies in certain countries. In Sweden, retail is usually at least 10£ cheaper than Steam, both on release day and later on. From what I’ve seen, they’re also a lot quicker to lower the prices after release than Steam, and even when there are Steam sales you can often find the games cheaper from retail.

One example I found right now is Bad Company 2. It costs 30€ on Steam, 9.4€ + shipping from a swedish web shop, and 15€ from a brick-and-mortar shop.

12. Chris Evans says:

Crazy to see Footy Manager still up there, I known the new football season has just started again, but it seems a bit bizarre to me, especially as we all know a new one will be announced any day now.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Yeah, if recent history is any guide, FM 2012 could be announced this week. Definitely within the month.

Oh, and to the peoples upthread, it’s an excellent game if you understand/care about the subject matter. There are few games that satisfy the number-crunching simulation urge better than FM.

13. Lewie Procter says:

Charts you say?

Why, I’ve just started doing my own charts over at SavyGamer, tracking which deal posts are most popular, and which search terms are most popular.

Potentially interesting trends lie herein: http://savygamer.co.uk/2011/08/05/savycharts-july-2011/

• Orija says:

Dark Souls at number one is interesting. You know, I’d willingly give away my parents into slavery to get a PC port for either this or Demon’s Souls.

• neems says:

Demon’s Souls is an awesome game, practically worth getting a PS3 for (especially if you need a Blu-Ray player).

• Lewie Procter says:

Well it was an exceptionally good priced deal. Sub £24 for a preorder of a hotly anticipated console game, especially a Limited Edition, is a really good price.

Interestingly the same deal was available on the 360, but was no way near as popular. Likely because Demon’s Souls wasn’t on the 360.

• The Sentinel says:

Mass Effect 3, PC- £14.99 delivered

That can’t be right….can it?

• Lewie Procter says:

Yep, not sure if it was a miss price or what, but my order is still active.

I must confess, one of my motives with these charts was so people can easily see some of the amazing deals they might have missed out on by not checking SavyGamer every day.

• Orija says:

Thou art doing God’s work here, son.

14. Johnny Lizard says:

Excluding titles that aren’t available in the shops, the Steam chart reads:

1) Brink
    2) Portal 2.

15. Dawngreeter says:

We need to have Top 10 Pirated lists.

• Johnny Lizard says:

Not sure how far this is to be trusted, but doing a search for PC games on the Pirate Bay, sorted by number of seeds, gives:

1) NBA 2K11
      2) Need For Speed Most Wanted
      3) Minecraft
      4) Angry Birds
      5) PES 2011
      6) Formula One 2010
      7) Crysis 2
      8) GTA IV
      9) Football Manager 2011
      10) Tom Clancy’s Hawx 2

So all pirates love sports, hate the Sims and don’t bother with RPGs or Portal.

16. Freud says:

The only reasonable conclusion to draw from Steam top 10 lists is that sales drive sales. Customers who use Steam are most likely more price sensitive than The Sims crowd.

17. aircool says:

I don’t think this comparison is at all valid, as dedicated video game shops (well, in my area at least) sell hardly any PC games. Maybe a top 5, which is basically new releases and old stock to fill in a few more shelves. As for other retailers that sell PC’s (and supermarkets while where at it), there’s often tons of budget games, or bargains dotted around the aisles on those spinny rack things. I can remember picking up ‘The Movies for 99p, and there was a WoW Battlechest thing for £5.
    I guess what it does show, is that traditional retailers just can’t be arsed to stock PC games anymore. And who can blame them?
    There is no mention of an area of retail which is important to me. That’s the mail order service from, well, GAME basically. Not only do they sell new releases at decent prices (which can often be cheaper than STEAM etc…), but they have a massive stock of, what do we call them? Budget Games. For new releases, online retailers that deal in hard copies are a winner for me. No time spent downloading huge files which will reduce even web browsing to a crawl, but the game arrives in the post at 9.20am on the day of release. Huzzah!

• aircool says:

A quick look at what’s on offer at an online retailer that deals in physical copies…
      Dungeon Siege 3 LE: £8.98
      Brink SE: £7.98
      WoW Battlechest: £7.98
      Company of Heroes: Anthology: ££9.99
      FIFA 11: £9.99
      FABLE3: £9.98
      Cheap games are availble if you know where to look. Plus, I like physical copies, in the same way I like Vinyl, CD’s, DVD’s and Books.

• Hirmetrium says:

The tax loophole for jersey really does make online retail prices better than steam. It isn’t played up enough – GAME, amazon and Play will always beat steam out thanks to this dodge.

I can’t believe RPS are seriously lining retail stores up against steam, when in this age you really want to line online postage service up against digital distribution instead. GAME still has a fantastic lineup of titles online for PC, all at excellent prices. I picked up Op. Flashpoint Red River for 12.99 about a week after release. I still can’t believe I got a title that cheap so fast.

Not to mention, titles which undersell get marked down so quickly nowadays. It’s typical to see PC games costing £20-25 at release and go down to ~£15 after a short time (also applies to consoles).

John’s comments apply both ways, which he seems to forget, and instead wears his “I <3 Steam/Valve" t-shirt…. not that there's anything wrong with that.

18. goldrunout says:

And EA now forced me to buy their game on a shop…. folly…
    Anyway I’ve once read that Steam list is based on revenue, and not on copies, but is this true about weekly top sellers, “top sellers” tab on steam store homepage, or both?

19. D3xter says:

Portal (Valve) – $20.0 Million USD
    Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks) – $17.0 Million USD
    Metro 2033 (THQ) – $13.4 Million USD
    Mafia II (2K Games) – $11.9 Million USD
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising (THQ) – $10.8 Million USD

For 2011: http://fadellc.com/Press.html

Steam Estimated Top 10 Titles, by Units Sold (1st Half, 2011)

Portal 2 (Valve) – 1,128,000 Units Sold ($56.4 Million USD)
    Magicka (Paradox Interactive) – 789,000 Units Sold ($6.2 Million USD)
    Terraria (Re-Logic) – 580,000 Units Sold ($5.8 Million USD)
    Counter-Strike (Valve) – 399,000 Units Sold ($2.7 Million USD)
    Total War: Shogun 2 (SEGA) – 326,000 Units Sold ($15.1 Million USD)
    Monday Night Combat (Uber Entertainment) – 264,000 Units Sold ($2.9 Million USD)
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Retribution (THQ) – 262,000 Units Sold ($6.5 Million USD)
    Brink (Bethesda Softworks) – 256,000 Units Sold ($13.5 Million USD)
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Electronic Arts) – 250,000 Units Sold ($4.2 Million USD)
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision) – 224,000 Units Sold ($13.0 Million USD)

20. ChainsawCharlie says:

Glad to see Witcher 2 on that list

21. Bantros says:

Bought Rage for £17 the other week from Tesco Entertainment saving a massive £13, I get the case and it even registers on Steam anyway! Madness. Similar thing with Deus Ex HR, bought the Augmented Edition for £30 from ShopTo and again it’s a Steamworks game

22. The Sentinel says:

There’s a Steam sale on?? How have I been oblivious to this…??

Was toying with relenting and buying From Dust but funnelled the cash into the New Vegas DLC instead (screw Ubisoft). I’ve been looking for a reason to finish NV.

23. Dozer says:

On a tangentally related note, if you were to paste the brick-and-mortar chart into a spreadsheet column, and then put the formula =PROPER(A1) into the next column, then copy the second column back into whatever you write RPS posts with, it would All Be In Proper Case INSTEAD OF ALLCAPS. Win!

This is what working for the NHS has taught me anyway.

24. mwoody says:

I can’t help but wonder if the fact that the first list is in ALL CAPS is subtly influencing our opinions of the lists. Does it look better like this?

1) The Sims 3: Generations
    2) The Sims 3
    3) Football Manager 2011
    4) The Sims: Medieval
    5) The Sims 3: Late Night
    6) Portal 2
    7) The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
    8) World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
    9) Fable III
    10) Civilization V

25. johnpeat says:

I’m pretty sure Steam’s chart is based only on that DAYs sales – which skews things quite a bit.

Retail is obviously hampered by them NOT SELLING PC games!! All you ever see is The Sims, Football Manager and WoW :)

26. Velvetmeds says:

1) QuakeCon Pack – sale
    2) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – just added to the store
    3) E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy – only sold on steam
    4) Limbo – is it even sold at retail?
    5) RAGE – just added to the store
    6) From Dust – not sold at retail
    7) BRINK – weekend deal
    8) Call of Duty: Black Ops – Annihilation – ugh
    9) Portal 2 – ugh
    10) Deus Ex: Human Revolution – yay
    What is the point of this? Not a fair comparison, imo.

27. jonfitt says:

WHHHHAAAAT!!?? Budget games are no more?
    I’ve been out of the UK for a few years so the last time I was in a GAME was probably 2007, but they still had budget games then.
    I spent most of my youth perusing the budget re-releases picking up gems for pennies. :(

Oh well. Digital distribution is a much better way of doing things anyway. No stock means nothing to write off when you discount.

28. Kohlrabi says:

No one pointed out so far that half of the games on the Steam list are preorders, which you can’t buy at (most) retailers, yet. So the comparison is quite pointless.

29. Teddy Leach says:

“3) E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy”

I approve of this list.

30. Morph says:

Shop people only buy games with all capital letters?

Sorry if someone already did that joke.

31. BobsLawnService says:

Are online retailers like Amazon.com included in the retail list?

32. vodka and cookies says:

Not at all surprising, Steam is pretty much just hardcore gamers entirely. With hardcore moving away from retail it basically shows the other demographics in PC games, very few people who buy Sim’s games would ever use Steam.

Fable 3 is a surprise though and at the same time it shouldn’t be, the franchise is hugely popular but I didn’t think there would be enough PC gamers interested in it.

• aircool says:

Yep. My mum is a hardcore Peggle addict and member of a secret society that gets together on a full moon to play Rollercoaster Tycoon.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

Hardcore gamers hack and pirate and get together with other like-minded individuals to play D&D while the dungeon master enjoys attempting to kill off everyone’s permadeath characters. Steam is the place people who own 360′s go to buy PC games when they get tired of shooting at 14 year olds who’re screaming insults at them from their TV…ya that’s right I blew the whistle.

33. Araxiel says:

People on Steam have a better taste in games…
    ..it Sims
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA­AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

People that pre-order…
    …are enRAGEd
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA­AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer Steam since…
    …E.Y.E. like indie games
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA­AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

People that play The Sims…
    …to let off Steam
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA­AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn’t thought that Portal 2…
    …is still alive
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA­AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

The guys at Steam understand the…
    …Human Revolution
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA­AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Navagon says:

In shops? Surely you jest, sir? Aren’t the games to which you’re referring physical copies sold by Amazon, Play.com and their ilk?

35. Big Daddy Dugger says:

Wait a second I just realised something…Team fortress 2 is a first person shooter so what’s the point of buying hats it can only make you an easier target to hit and you don’t even see it yourself. 0.o

Comment on this story