Trombone: Red Orchestra 2 Slips Two Weeks

By John Walker on August 8th, 2011 at 2:49 pm.

Careful, it's slippery!

Gosh, in the long gap since the last time any games were released I’d quite forgotten the ordeal of Autumnal slippage. (Those outside of the UK may not be aware that Autumn now stretches from May to November on this isle.) These long wet days leave the ground treacherous for games trying to stay on their feet. The latest project to need just a couple more weeks to get ready is Red Orchestra 2. Originally set for the 30th this month, it’s now going to be released on the 13th September. Tripwire explain that they needed another couple of weeks to add extra polish.

This isn’t a peculiar Ubi-style situation where console versions are still on schedule, because of course Red Orchestra 2 is a PC exclusive. So they’ll actually be improving the game for your benefit. Or at least, I’ve not yet been able to think of a more interesting conspiratorial reason. Tripwire say,

“While we understand the fans are clamoring to get their hands on the game, we felt we needed the extra two weeks to get it right and add the extra polish the game (and the players) deserve.”

I for one am very excited about receiving this extra polish I deserve.

, , .

1. bit_crusherrr says:

Gutted.

• Anton says:

The game is filled with Nazis and Soviets, I don’t think it needs even 1 Polish!

• SamfisherAnD says:

Ha.. Good one Anton!

• chiablo says:

Anton wins the internet.

• Squishpoke says:

Woah there. Don’t you go mocking my Polish brethren.

• gamma says:

@Anton Those blody soviet assassin bastards defending Stalingrad from Nazi invasion, right?

Right! 2 Internets and a historic materialism award right there Anton, gratz!

2. Phase says:

I am fine with this, I would prefer a polished game from a bugged one. It allows me to spread game purchases. :)

• PickyBugger says:

Yeah now I really can take my time with Deus Ex and by take my time I mean complete it 5 times.

3. Monkey says:

Delay gives me the bug fear. Where before they clashed, now Deus Ex will fill the gap very nicely

4. Zyrxil says:

Extra Polish? But it’s the Eastern front! /rimshot

5. timmyvos says:

Apparently they did this so they could make the beta longer so they could find and fix more bugs.

• 12kill4 says:

now all they need to do is open up that beta for the people who preordered….

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah I’m hoping the pre-order beta invites happen soon. If they need more time to fix bugs, let us in and help!

• 12kill4 says:

supposedly the press-beta is happening for 2-3 weeks and then they will start letting pre-order people in. So essentially the people who preordered it will be getting it in more or less the original release state around about the 25th or so to participate in the beta (which is an actual beta supposedly, not a glorified demo), and then the devs will be able to get a few patches in before the critics start handing out final judgement.

6. Creeping Death says:

Aw damn it. This means it’s now going to (kinda) clash with Space Marine for me….

I hope they let preorder folks into the beat soon, would be a nice little apology ^^

7. Askeladd says:

I’ll wait with my purchase for some reasons.
    Apparently I seem to be bad at this kind of shooter, which seems odd because normally I’m not.

8. Calneon says:

I hope the beta is available to pre-orderers before i43 :S.

9. Alexander Norris says:

This is rubbish. :(

I was looking forward to the mad rush to finish DXHR in a week so I’d be free for the RO2 launch, and now I won’t have an excuse to take time off work.

10. Snuffy the Evil says:

So, they’re expanding the game to cover the Eastern Front in general?

Dammit, Anton!

11. TormDK says:

@Alexander – You don’t need an excuse to take time off work :P Simply say to your boss “Boss, I want a few weeks off, I need to play some computer games.” – It works for me everytime I request vacation.

• Alexander Norris says:

“A few weeks?” Oh, the luxury. I’d get murdered if I took more than two days in a row, and I only get 20 a year. :P

12. The Divine says:

Pleased about this delay, should give me a chance to finish Deus Ex: Human Resources and put a good few hours into Dead Island. Might get Space Marine too to tide me over if I go through those fast enough.

13. Auzy says:

…I am bummed

14. Orija says:

The caption, oh man, the CAPTION!

15. Ross Angus says:

Our cross-pond brothers and sisters might need to know that he means “fall”, when he says “autumn”.

• Mordsung says:

I’m pretty sure the entire English speaking world uses Autumn and Fall interchangeably.

• PickyBugger says:

As far as I know only America uses ‘fall’ although presumably people who learn’t English from an American will also speak incorrectly :p .

• Rii says:

Does it? I’ve never heard ‘Fall’ here (Australia) and don’t recall hearing ‘Autumn’ from any American media. Of course instances of the latter could well pass my ears unnoticed.

On a related note, the oddity of that cruiser from the Halo-verse being named Pillar of Autumn only recently occurred to me.

• Real Horrorshow says:

Americans use fall more than autumn, but trust me, every single person knows what autumn means.

You say “lorry” (like weirdos) but I’m pretty sure you know what a “truck” is, no?

Rikard Peterson says:

Trombone? My ‘bone don’t slip. It slides, though.

17. The JG Man says:

“Those outside of the UK may not be aware that Autumn now stretches from May to November on this isle”

Oh how I laughed. And then realised how true it is.

• GenBanks says:

Just as I read the sentence the sun came out from behind a cloud. English weather doesn’t do predictable.

• Kent says:

Over here we’d had a lot of sun the entire summer. And probably because of our isolated housing we get problems with the heat inside because no sodding Swedish person can spell the simple word AC. Hell even my computer have started to overheat forcing me to downclock 7% from the factory default.

18. BunnyPuncher says:

Autumn beings in July these days…. and its way too warm.

Fortunately we have been having some pretty awsome springs lately.

19. Hensler says:

Gives me more time to play Deus Ex.

20. MonkfishEsq says:

2 weeks for more polish is great, 2+ weeks for the pre-purchase beta is…less good! You bastard journalist types are already in it.

If I wear a hat with PRESS in it, does that mean I can join the beta?

21. Raiyan 1.0 says:

That’s one aspect where digital distribution is superior to retail. If this was sold via hard copies, they would’ve had to ship it within the deadline a month before release so that the DVD/Blu-Ray/Floppy packers could do their packing.

22. DrGonzo says:

Red Orchestra 2 isn’t a pc exclusive. I’m sure I read them in previews before saying they eventually plan on bringing it to the consoles.

People were saying the same about Witcher 2 and now it’s announced for 360. Which is no bad thing. I know in the article it was a joke, but I hate the suggestion that a game being pc exclusive makes it better, it doesn’t. Being designed for pc makes it better. Exclusivity has nothing to do with it.

Sorry about that.

23. Ayam says:

Man, the original release date was on my birthday, boo!

24. Davee says:

Dang nammit dang it damn it!

Ah well, more polish is always good. I can wait. Now give us the Beta announcement, Tripwire! :)

25. rocketman71 says:

Well, at least this will give a bit more time of exposure to the Ham & Jam mod.

26. Lantzalot says:

Well at least this gives me a few more weeks to think up some WWII puns for this post.

27. Real Horrorshow says:

Well at least this gives me more time to fuck my own face in the closet.

28. Araxiel says:

With “extra polish” do they mean in addition to Russian and German Troops you will also be able to play as Polish soldiers?

• Grape Flavor says:

Yeah, it’s a new game mode where you spawn in the middle of the map and both the Germans and the Soviets attack you cooperatively.

29. Shortwave says:

I just wish I wasn’t being forced into buying the most expensive version of the game just so I don’t fall behind in weeks of in-game experience. I honestly was just about to preorder it.. Then I luckily checked the forums first..

So it’s either.. 35 bucks and I get dumb hats and fall behind two weeks.
    Or.
    Pay 45 bucks and I’ll feel terrible when I totally destroy every newcomer at launch.

Am I being melodramatic here? Sorry, I’m just annoyed.
    X.X

• HeavyHarris says:

I think getting the weapons unlocked from the start takes the fun out of, you know, unlocking them. Also, I think you’ll do fine without them.

30. HeavyHarris says:

Jolly good! Now I can actually afford the game :3

31. wodin says:

I only used the bolt action rifle in RO…and loved it…sadly RO2 looks dumbed down….so my No1 release at the start of the year looks like a maybe buy…

32. cmi says:

Anybody knows what “low violence” will mean in this game? German steam user crew checking in -.-