Deus Ex: Texture Revolution

By Alec Meer on August 9th, 2011 at 9:37 am.

Click to embiggen

With a couple of weeks still on the clock for the release of Deus Ex 3 (it’s still amazing to me that’s really happening), however will we occupy ourselves? Well, we Britishers could start with considering how to help bridge the terrible gulf between rich and poor. Then we could replay the original Deus Ex, but adorned with new, high resolution textures. The New Vision mod repaints DX’s world with pin-sharp new surfaces, which as well as making it look a little less geriatric also makes its world look a little more futuristic. Its 1.5GB of image files claims to increase texture resolution by some eight times. Sharp.

Don’t expect less cuboid character models, however, but New Vision does play nice with most, if not all, other DX mods, so you may well be able to combo-up for something even better. (Big thanks to everyone who mailed this in).

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Calneon says:

I haven’t played Deus Ex.

2. Simon Hawthorne says:

I’m going to play Deus Ex for the first time ever over the next few weeks. Sounds like this might be a good mod – any suggestions for others I should combine it with?

• Joshua says:

I don’t think you should play Deus Ex with any mod (for your first time playtrough). However, do try out the “Deus Exe”, which is a launcher which easily allows you to play the game with, say, a 1920*1080 resolution, and use all those different renderers.

• StingingVelvet says:

DX10 Renderer
      Deus Ex EXE
      This texture pack

That’s basically it really. None of them change the fundamental look or gameplay at all, they just make it run well at high resolutions on modern systems. Make sure you turn off the scaling HUD.

• Alexander Norris says:

Joshua is wrong. :P

For starters, Fixer (http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/) is basically mandatory.

Secondly, if you at all care about ironing out the few bits of bad design left in Deus Ex, you will absolutely want to install Biomod (http://www.moddb.com/mods/biomod). As an added bonus, Biomod steals the best gameplay idea that Invisible War has to offer (passive augs), so that saves you from having to play IW! More seriously, it removes the retarded bullshit micromanaging of augs that is no fun whatsoever, as well as rebalancing all the skills and augs. You should absolutely play Deus Ex with this the first time; it’s an improvement on the base game in every way and does not make it “not Deus Ex.” Recommending people play without this is like recommending people play STALKER without the Complete mods; it’s Wrong, with the capital letter.

Thirdly: you may want to use the DX10 renderer (http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/). You will want to use this anyway if you want to use New Vision (if you’re still on XP, there is also an OpenGL renderer provided as part of New Vision).

• LionsPhil says:

No mods at all. Especially nothing which isn’t purely graphical. Deus Ex is interesting in being a big, ambitious FPSRPG that isn’t completely broken, unlike many of its peers. The official patches are enough (and Steam presumably has those preapplied—which does sadly mean no horrendously good throwing knives to play with!).

To be honest I think a lot of the graphical “updates” are ugly, too—Gunther in particular looks awful.

• PickyBugger says:

If it’s your first playthrough don’t install Biomod it adds a couple of things that can really break the game, being able to climb over walls etc for one. On a first run through I wouldn’t install any mods apart from using that fix by kentie, then i’d install shifter for multiple playthroughs.

I don’t really see the point of graphical updates for this game, even with fancy res textures it’ll look crap. Don’t waste time on the graphics and just enjoy the game.

• Deano2099 says:

Isn’t Deus Ex EXE basically a replacement for Fixer? /confused

• Alexander Norris says:

@PickyBugger: no. The mantling was specifically coded so you can’t use it to go places you shouldn’t be able to (as in there are specific ledges designed as non-mantlable).

@Deano: fixer/Deus exe are the same thing (the fixed .exe).

3. The Sombrero Kid says:

combine it with the dx10 renderer http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

4. OddsAgainst says:

I remember my first play through. I died and accidently pressed the quick save key. Then I promptly closed every application and opened up cod and lost my mind in easy shooterness. I think ill give it another shot with this mod though

5. G-Flex says:

Interesting timing! I just yesterday finished a sort of compilation fix/fanpatch/balance mod for Deus Ex that should be very compatible with this.

Download and summary available on the project’s Google Code page: http://code.google.com/p/deus-ex-human-renovation/

I definitely recommend kentie’s exe replacement and, the DX10 renderer as well (if you can run that and you’re on Win7/Vista).

6. Ovno says:

Out of date now the new New Vision has been released but here is a full guide on modding deus:ex to bring it a bit more up to date…

• thebigJ_A says:

I used this guide, like, a month ago in preparation for my first ever time with DX, but hadn’t gotten around to actually playing the thing. Now I have to DL New Vision again? How much does this add over the beta version? If it’s just one or two textures on some random wall somewhere, I won’t bother.

• Ovno says:

Not sure yet, but even if they’ve only updated the characters it will be a massive improvement.

• Ovno says:

Characters look much better, haven’t noticed anything else yet, though I’m half convinced the walls of the tunnel i’m in have improved…

• shoptroll says:

That’s the same guide I used a couple weeks ago. Pretty painless and took about 15 minutes total to do.

• billyblaze says:

I’m constantly in awe how people remember and repost my modding guides. Makes me want to create more stuff. Then again, I’m probably the laziest person to ever visit the Internet.

• Ovno says:

Ahh if you wrote the guide mate, Thank you very much made my life much easier :)

7. talon03 says:

So I’m reinstalling Deus Ex then.

8. Josh Wanamaker says:

I make it a point to always have Deus Ex installed, just uh…incase.

This mod is brilliant but using the DX10 renderer makes character dialogue actually start cutting off before it finishes playing. It’s annoying.

9. Matt says:

I installed this last night, but for some reason the game doesn’t load. (also, the menu has no text on it – just a load of blank buttons where ‘New Game, Load Game, etc should be). When I hit ‘New Game’, sort out my character and try to play, the game simply goes back to the Eidos/Ion Storm logos…

Anyone had any luck getting it to work?

10. KauhuK says:

I bought Deus Ex goty from games for windows marketplace mad sale for 10 euro cents. CENTS! That’s almost like nothing. But I havent gotten to playing it. Maybe I should with this mod.

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

Oh god please do, once you play it (and get into it) you’ll be hitting yourself for not playing this earlier.

11. magnus says:

Well I’ve put the texture map on and I’m sure I’ve cocked up somehow, I’ll carry on because it might not show up so much in the Griffith Park section.

• StingingVelvet says:

It’s very subtle, it’s just higher resolution textures that look exactly the same. If you haven’t played Deus Ex in a while and don’t know how blurry the textures were you might not even notice.

• magnus says:

Well I’ll carry on, I’ve promised myself I’d finish it before DE:HR .

12. StingingVelvet says:

I like this texture mod because it doesn’t change the look of the game at all, it just offers higher resolution versions of the same textures. That’s really nice, all too often graphics mods change the developer’s intent.

13. The Colonel says:

HDTP had remodelled NPCs as well, amongst other stuff (IIRC). Does this has overhauled models too?

• StingingVelvet says:

No, that is a different mod that is more about changing things. This mod is simply to make the game look natural but better at higher res.

• Teddy Leach says:

Yeah, HDTP is a separate mod that has apparently been “nearly finished” for several years, with absolutely no progress updates. Whatever you do, don’t go onto the forum and ask what’s going on with it.

• The Colonel says:

Turns out you can have both installed. Hadn’t planned on my yearly Deus Ex revival but I suppose it’s overdue. Have to put aside Dwarf Fortress for a while then.

• Teddy Leach says:

They work alongside each other and were intended to be fully compatible with each other. Unfortunately, the latest, achingly old, version of HDTP only has a handful of retextures.

• billyblaze says:

I thought you were saying that Dwarf Fortress and Deus Ex were fully compatible with eachother.

Now I already have my member in hand and got to finish to something else.

14. Jams O'Donnell says:

Ooh, might be time to give it another shot. I assume these days it’s easy to find savegames that skip the first mission.

15. Morte66 says:

Id there any risk that the introduction of good textures will make the remaining textures look even older?

I’ve had that happen with graphical mods before, and ended up uninstalling them. The graphical inconsistency once modded was more annoying than the low res graphics of the base game.

• diebroken says:

From reading the moddb comments, apparently the remaining 25% (of textures not revamped) are either of a quality/use that does not require reworking or due to time constraints on the mod creator.

16. Baka says:

Anybody tried this with The Nameless Mod?
    I recently started to play through that, it’s a very cool mod and I recommend it to every fan of Deus Ex.

17. Eddy9000 says:

I can’t wait for Deus Ex 3 to come out, in fact I’m getting desperate.
    Your turn.

18. povu says:

This download of New Vision actually comes with the (optional) DirectX10 renderer, as well as the custom launcher. Very convenient.

19. resignation.speaks says:

finished it (again) a few days ago.. haven’t noticed any cubed characters or blurry textures whatsoever?!

brilliant game.

20. John P says:

Why would you mod the greatest game ever made? It already looks great, plays great, and is great.

• Ovno says:

As someone who restarted it a couple of weeks ago and has since modded the gfx, I can wholeheartedly say…

It does not look great, it looks like a game from 10 years ago (unsuprisingly), whereas with the mods it looks sooo much better…..

Do bear in mind I played it when it first came out too so I do remember when these gfx were good.

• Vandelay says:

It looked bad when it was originally released. It also doesn’t play too great either, with some pretty fundamental design flaws.

It might be a classic, but it certainly wasn’t perfect.

• John P says:

Doesn’t play too great? I can load it up now and be playing a better game than any crap that’s been released in the past 11 years.

21. Khann says:

I played the absolute living shit out of the demo. Used to go over to my rich mates place as often as possible and play through that damn thing.

I’ve never played the full game though. Have had it on Steam for a while now and this is as good a reason as any to get stuck into it.

I am hoping this will be a glorious experience, though my expectations for a 10 year old game are somewhat tempered.

22. Sinomatic says:

Oooo shiny.

Does anyone else have real difficulty actually starting the game? Not for technical reasons, but just because you can’t help but sit and listen to the title screen music…

• LionsPhil says:

Yes, but not quite so much as for Civilization IV.

• Milky1985 says:

Nah thats really simple, i seem to reach a wierd bug when i go into the unatco headquaters, my character just kinda stops moving and listens to that theme music for long periods of time…………………..Then starts rummiging through all the desks of all the peopel working there, hacking there computers and invading the womens bath room, never quite fonud out why :p

23. ChainsawCharlie says:

Hmm don’t think I’ve ever gotten past that first level either. Thanks for the mod recommendations will need to start this soon.

24. Loopy says:

I’m currently replaying this myself, but am unsure as to whether I’ll actually finish it in time given how huge the game is! At the moment I’m trying to break out of the MJ12 complex under Liberty island, so a long way to go…. I may try this texture pack again, but I seem to remember I couldn’t get it running before.

Just reinstalled as per the instructions, seems to be working just fine, and looks great. :)

25. Frank says:

The NYT today asks “Is America ready for more old men?” (look it up)

The answer is yes. Bring on Deus Ex 3!

26. MikeBBetts says:

Of course this comes out the day AFTER I finish up my Deus Ex replay.

27. Kaldor says:

4 years. And I almost see the difference! Yes… no… ha, so much fun!

28. lonedemon says:

@Askeladd
    did you just say gift?
    id like it if possible
    never played deus ex

29. Brometheus says:

Obligatory “I’m reinstalling it right now” comment. But for real. I want me some textures.

30. televizor says:

To everyone complaining that they can’t replay it because of how old it feels:

You need to set a different goal for each play-through: kill no human, blast everything with rockets, play as Blade (Yes, you can! There’s a model that looks just like Wesley Snipes), play as Wesley Snipes the Sniper and so on.

31. Doth Messar says:

It’s a perfectly cromulent word.

Comment on this story