Whee: World Of Warplanes Website

By Jim Rossignol on August 9th, 2011 at 7:50 am.

Will tinkering with your planes be as popular as tinkering with your tank?
Skybound aviation-based sequel to World Of Tanks is gaining some momentum now, as the World Of Warplanes website appears. It just contains a snippet of information and a bunch of screenshots so far, but we’ll be expecting to learn much more about the game come GamesCom next week. For my part, however, I am not expecting this to be quite as outrageously popular as World Of Tanks, with its millions of sign-ups. I think it’ll do okay, but there was something just right about a purely tank-based game, which I am not sure will be true of air-war…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Antsy says:

Air Attack on wireplay was utterly brilliant and caused me to fork over hundreds of pounds, hand over fist, to BT’s pay-per-minute dial up internet service in the late ’90s.

If this is half as good it’ll be worth a look. Joystick support please!

• Arathain says:

I miss my Hurricane from Air Attack still. If this will let me fly a Hurri I’m in.

2. CaspianRoach says:

Is IL-2 Shturmovik not good enough for people who enjoy this kind of games?

3. dsi1 says:

Is it going to be as poorly balanced as WoT?

4. Magnetude says:

World of War____

5. ziusudra says:

Wot is one hell of a fun game. Iam curious how this one will turn out. ( game modes………..)

6. BooleanBob says:

It’s the impending announcement of the integration of the two which is going to make you pass the proverbial building materials.

7. Dodger says:

The game’s title confuses me…is this a World of Warcraft expansion? I should probably buy it for that reason alone.

8. Merus says:

Certainly planes are cool, but I was hoping that they’d expand the scope of World of Tanks a bit, zoom out a little and really focus on the craft of war.

I guess they couldn’t work out what to call it.

9. Antsy says:

So, World of Warships next?

10. SprintJack says:

According to devs is Beta supposed to start this year. Damn i can’t wait.

11. Big Daddy Dugger says:

Incoming Activision-Blizzard legal suit over the title. “We were planning on world of warplanes being released in game next patch!”

12. Shadowcat says:

You think? I would have put them the other way around. I mean, how many kids dreamed of being an ace pilot? Millions, right? Now, how many dreamed of being in a tank? I just can’t imagine that second number being anything like as high; tanks simply aren’t remotely so romantic.

• Kelron says:

I’d love to have a quick, accessible multiplayer dogfighting game.

• SprintJack says:

Indeed. I see no reason for this scepticism.

• patricij says:

I DID! It’s romantic before you know the average operational time in WW2 was under a minute or so, it’s a bit stuffy&smelly inside and if you are a gunner you need to do a lot of mathematical equations…

13. westyfield says:

So is this the one that’s being made by the World of Tanks guys, or is that World of ‘Planes? I get so confused.

14. Real Horrorshow says:

World of Tanks is fun.

But this… this is going to be goddamn epic.

And then after this they need to do World of Sail with 18th century naval battles.

15. Panzeh says:

I hope they have tailgunners in this game for those 2-engine fighters.

• Real Horrorshow says:

That reminds me, I dont get the point of ground attack aircraft being in this if its all air focused. Maybe game modes where one team has to destroy a target?

Probably not. Knowing WoT, ground attack planes like the IL-2 will be made “heavy planes”

16. Daiv says:

When, like Stephen Hawking, your two forms of interaction with the world are ramming and firing a 152mm cannon, the most important factor is positioning.

Contrast this to the “get within range and mash 15 ability hotkeys in arcane sequences” of WoW PvP and I think this is the key to WoT’s success.

Unfortunately I can’t see how this applies to a World of Warplanes.

• Snuffy the Evil says:

It’s very much the same, except that you generally have to get above your target as well as behind them.

17. Eightball says:

I hope we won’t have to fly P-40′s against ME-262′s…

But if they give out free gold in beta I’ll be happy to play for a spell.

18. Dana says:

I salute you for not using term “MMO” in this news. You are truly a tomahawk of truth in the skull of lies.

19. Torgen says:

Actually, there are tons of sim pilots from Warbirds and Aces High (who also play IL-2 Sturmovik) whom I know personally, who are WoT subscribers.

There’s the possibility of having people who are hard-core flight sim folk ignoring WoWP because it goes against how flight sims “should” be, and we have the sim pilots fighting the ground war, and the folks with no sim background fighting the air war.

Also, who’s going to pay triple subscriptions to play in all three games? Will you need mixed clans in order to hold territory? Guess we’ll find out if enough new people are brought in to overcome the fragmenting of the existing player base.

• Dana says:

Indeed, I as a Il1946 vet im looking forward for WoW (cough), will play through beta but most likely not in release because of its grindy nature.

20. Kerbobotat says:

im genuinely more excited about this than i was for World of Tanks, given the choice, I preffer my cramped, smelly and overtly dangerous War-Machine to be a few thousand feet off the ground than sunk halfway into it.