Is Alpha Centauri Set To Return?

By Jim Rossignol on August 10th, 2011 at 3:27 pm.

The unblinking info-gaze of Eurogamer’s news sentinel has detected NeoGAF discoveries that indicate Alpha Centauri has been trademarked in Europe and the US. One trademark for computer games and one for online gaming. This can only mean one thing: a new FPS is on the way! Ha. My little joke there. Sorry.

Read Lewie’s retrospective for a reminder of why Alpha Centauri is such an important strategy title. We pray that this one is an appropriate remake.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. pakoito says:

Online game? smells like facebook.

2. ScubaMonster says:

After the garbage that is Civ 5, they should probably just let it remain in the past. Unless they can somehow not screw it up but I don’t have a lot of faith.

3. jalf says:

I’m currently playing a SMAC play-by-email game with 5 friends. Kind of slow going, of course (we’re spread across 3 continents, and most of us have work and/or school to juggle along with the game), but just playing SMAC again is lovely.

And getting a remake/sequel/whatever? Yes please!

4. Commander Gun says:

“We don’t want a monopoly. Our products are simply so good, that nobody feels the need to compete with us”

-CEO Morgan

5. Kamos says:

Pravin Lal is evil. EVIL. And he lies. For a pacifist, isn’t it strange that he is even more expansionist than the hive and even more gun-happy than the spartans?

• Nalano says:

Seriously. I was the Hive last game I played and HE instigated a war with ME.

Which is sorta like fighting a land war in Asia, but what the hell, Lal!

• Rinox says:

Brother Lal once told me off for having weapons of mass destruction (unused). 3 turns later, he nuked my most important sites with planet busters.

UN sanctions never felt the same again.

6. Navagon says:

So another ‘streamlined’ browser game, that knowing EA, has some kind of ludicrously expensive ironically titled micropayments.

Until I see strong evidence to the contrary then that is all I think this thing will amount to.

7. Betamax says:

Welcome back, the Drones have needed you.

8. The Sombrero Kid says:

Hope firaxis are involved.

9. JuJuCam says:

Whenever I hear about the current situation in England, all I think about is the computer voice from SMAC sadly saying “Drone Riots.”

10. colinmarc says:

oh yes oh yes oh yes oh GOD OH GOD OH GOD

11. Foosnark says:

Please don’t suck. The drones need you. They look up to you.

12. MythArcana says:

I have this gem installed and the Ai is ruthless and quite a challenge to say the least. I’m just now starting to open up to CIV V a little more, although still generally disappointed with it compared to these classic games that were made during a time when complexity and quality were expected. I do get the FPS joke; let’s just hope it doesn’t come to that.

13. doomscape says:

Sweet! Looking forward to it.

14. bernlin2000 says:

I actually went on Firaxis’ website today, to find some sort of email address where I could ask them about a sequel: damn to hell the sales (which apparently were worse than other Civ games), SMAC had a far more interesting storyline: hell, the other Civ games don’t even have one! I was sad to read on their FAQ that EA apparently owns the rights to the game…not sure why Firaxis would develop the game but give away their rights to the publisher. Of course, we all know know that EA is a soulless money-making machine that would only destroy the game if they chose to remake it (which they wouldn’t, since it wouldn’t feed the machine enough).

It’s moments like this that I really loathe the gaming industry today: a game of this scale almost REQUIRES a large development studio, yet none (except, most likely, Firaxis itself) would be wiling to undertake it, due to the lack of sales. Incredible games should have sequels even if they didn’t make a million in sales :(

15. Bagpuss says:

I bought this and tried to play it.. but I’m just crap at strategy games. It’s a pity too, I love the idea of it.. I just can’t play them. :(

Comment on this story