The Third Bit Of Metro: Last Light Footage

By John Walker on August 10th, 2011 at 2:30 pm.

It really does look remarkable.

The final part of the Metro Last Light E3 demo is up (gosh, they made this one last, didn’t they?). You can see part one here, and part two here. This third part contains the action bit, an on-rails minecart shoot-out that I think demonstrates the engine at its absolute finest. Incredible lighting and cloth physics give this an air of realism that’s a little nerve-racking. You can see it below.

The game is due out at some point next year.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. db1331 says:

I still need to jump back in the first game and finish it. It was fun, but I had too many games on my plate at the time, and it got pushed aside.

2. Orija says:

If only devs followed this linear game model rather than the one set by CoD we’d probably be having Christmas all year.

• godwin says:

So, some unoriginality is better than other kinds of unoriginality? I’d think that if any developer actually ‘followed’ things the way developers copy the tropes of the MW franchise, it’d quickly become the same shit too.

Video really shows off the graphical fidelity and verisimilitude the medium can now achieve – but am I the only one that thinks the audio design/balancing needs a heck lot more work? Having a character sound the same (i.e. obviously a recording) no matter what distance s/he is from the player and not taking into account other much much louder sounds in the scene really breaks all that illusion they’re trying to construct.

• wrath says:

@godwin Hi, yep. FYI, we’re talking about an unfinished game. What if its just place holder? What if godmode is on?

RO2 trailer they turned god mode on just to show you everything, because the host died too often. Nothing worse than a Game Over screen in the middle of your nice trailer.

3. Nalano says:

Does it count as railroading if you’re actually on a railroad?

4. felisc says:

TIBIDIBIDIIIII pon pon pon
    wow that music. is. …mmh. the cart sequence + that music makes me feel like i’m watching metal slug 3D.

5. CaspianRoach says:

This is how games should look in 2011, damn you, 5yearold consoles!

6. Askeladd says:

I’d just play this for some ironsight bolt action!

7. Mashakosha says:

Everything in that trailer, from the sound to the visuals, was lovely. That single-shot gun had the best sound of a weapon since the Doom shotgun.

8. Pemptus says:

That’s ok, I wanted to buy a hypothetical supercomputer from space anyway.

9. Nallen says:

We’re gonna need a bigger graphics card.

10. Stevostin says:

Ok, the engine is fine, but the action is still awful linear CoD crap. Already was my main grip with Metro 2033 and will probably not improve a bit here. Won’t pay more than €8 for this, if I do.

• Dominic White says:

Given that the original was based on a novel and (so I’ve heard) follows the plot of it with surprising accuracy, it’s really not too surprising that it was relatively linear.

• John P says:

You can have a linear plot without rollercoaster gameplay. See: Deus Ex et al.

• Joshua says:

The fact that the game had a nice morality system that let you change the game’s outcome (or not, if you would so choose once you ‘recieved’ that particular moment) based on your playstyle is oft ignored, for some reason.

• DrGonzo says:

Metro 2033 played nothing like CoD though. Would be fairer to compare it to HL2 with more unfortunate on rails sequences ( like the one in this vid).

• Velvetmeds says:

Metro 2033 is nothing like cod. It’s one of the most underrated games around

• Mr E Meats says:

I don’t think every single game has to be riddled with choices on progression, nor do they always need an open world or a morality meter. Metro 2033 was good because it had a good story, if your only complaint is that “It’s on rails” you might want to find something else to cry about, because I still found myself jumping at things on my first playthrough.

• Trousers says:

I agree with everyone saying it can be linear without being “linear COD crap”. The original Metro had an awesome atmosphere and was not anything like the “advance 30 meters, watch people spawn at certain places, shoot them down, proceed” approach that COD (and even Bad Company 2, which I liked) is famous for.

It just needs a little polish in the shooting mechanics IMO, and this video makes it look like they tried to improve on that.

11. NAZIUFOCOMMANDER says:

We are bad men. We hide behind crates.

12. Pobblepop says:

‘incredible cloth physics’ is not a selling point in a game for me.

• Donjonson says:

I’m looking forward to Industrial Fabric Cutters Union Sim 2011 that’s in the works, same people that made Garbage Truck Simulator 2011 so should be a whopper.

• Nalano says:

God, every time I hear about Garbage Truck Simulator 2011 I keep thinking, “what would be the hard mode?” Probably Napoli, during a strike.

Nightmare mode, though, is New York City. Hands down. Every time the Canadian film companies want to film a “New York” scene in Toronto, they just throw trash in the streets.

13. MDevonB says:

Best “Spot light in my face, can’t see crap” effect I’ve seen yet. Heres hoping theres a dedicated squint button. (Or the ability to keybind gamma settings.)

14. KauhuK says:

This is coming for playboxthings too? Does it look like that on those? I really doupt it.

15. Rii says:

Heh, looks like 4A is the new id. Lots of tech in play, but ugly as sin.

• Trousers says:

It is a bit cluttered, but the mist and other environmental effects really are pretty if you squint to figure out what you’re seeing

16. Bhazor says:

Was I the only one thinking the Jackass them was about to start up at 0;48 seconds?

17. McDan says:

Yay! I just keep playing through the first one because it’s so good, liking the new bolt action rifle. Mhm.

18. fallingmagpie says:

Hope that was on Easy mode, because those bad guys couldn’t shoot for shit. Especially the last one, who unloaded about ten rounds from twenty feet away at someone walking slowly towards him in no cover.

• lessthandan says:

Yeah, most likely on easy mode. Developers typically turn on Easy mode for demo videos and trailers; sometimes they turn on god-mode just to make sure the player doesn’t die for the sake of making a video.

19. pupsikaso says:

Didn’t we already do the train thing in the first game?
    And also, these trailers do nothing for promising the game will be open world this time like STALKER…

• Salt says:

As it’s not going to be an open world game, it’s probably a good thing that the trailers don’t promise it will be.

• neems says:

Hmmm, a train in a game called Metro… who’da thunk it?

• lessthandan says:

Why does the game have to be open world? There is a time and place for linear games, Metro 2033 is designed to be a linear game, and nothing else. The linear model works well for Metro because it strictly follows a well-told story. If you don’t like linear games, then just don’t play Metro 2033.

20. Neosa5959 says:

Anyone who read the book confused about why they’re fighting HANSA?

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

They’re trying to rescue a prisoner, who—it would appear—is a prisoner of HANSA. Maybe those moneygrubbing merchants wanted too many bullets to ransom this prisoner?

21. Theon says:

On-rail shooters aren’t what they used to be…

22. Trousers says:

I’ve had to restart the original 3 times now and have heard the ending is great, is it worth finishing, RPStropolis?

23. ZenArcade says:

That looked dull as dishwater.

Saying that though, I liked all the sloppy bits of the first one. the gas masks, the pumping guns, all that shit.

24. wodin says:

Loved the first…except the libary creatures…looking forward to the second…

I do admit though I treid the first oen and dropped it as I wasn’t impressed…but i went back and really got into it…I don’t care about it being linear…to many sandbox games lack excitement and can be uncohesive and most of the time boring aswell as repetetive…a great linear game that is longer than sum poxy 4 hours is good in my book.

Comment on this story