GTA4: Something To Marvel At

By Lewie Procter on August 11th, 2011 at 4:02 pm.

Let's hope Kieron doesn't tell the Marvel lawyers

Mods! They let people cleverer than I add things to games that the original developers never even dreamed of. Take this (beta) playable Iron Man mod for GTA4, for example. The model has been taken from Marvel vs Capcom 3, and cleverly shoved into Liberty City. Paired up with iCEnhancer mod for extra pretties, and a Superman mod for Supermanification, you’ve got an attempt at an Iron Man game that already looks more fun than Sega’s recent officially licensed efforts:

I hope the mod dev has lasers and super strength on the list of planned features. Download links in the Youtube description here.

Also joining in on the fun is Captain America:

And currently unreleased is Deadpool:

Head over to IH1Vltg3I’s Youtube Channel for more videos of these mods in action, and huge respect and love to all the mod developers who did anything to contribute to these videos.

, , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

Ugh, shadows.

2. Inigo says:

I’m sad nobody ever actually made the Gordon Frohman mod for GTA IV.

3. SAeN says:

I’ve been waiting for a gimp suit mod.

4. 12kill4 says:

I for one would rather have a realistic Robert Downey Jnr. simulation mod in GTA4.

5. cjlr says:

Mods are stupid. Blizzard told me so.

6. ResonanceCascade says:

And a cease and desist in 5…4…3…

• Khann says:

Modder caring in 5… 4… 3…. ERROR! ERROR!

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, ignoring a cease and desist is super smart. He should totally do that.

• Solidstate89 says:

Now, I’m no IP lawyer (thank god) but if you release a Mod – for free without any intentions of profiting from it, isn’t stuff like this covered under fair use policy?

• ResonanceCascade says:

Unfortunately, no. And sadly, most companies seem to have stepped up their efforts to shut stuff like this down. I’ve seen it a million times. The Bid For Power guys ended up removing all the Dragonball references from the game, after which all the DBZ content conveniently found its way onto file sharing networks a little while later.

That seems like as good a strategy as any to me.

• James says:

@ResonanceCascade

Maybe he doesn’t care if strangers give him permission to make something. Crazy, right? Doesn’t he know that he’s supposed to do what the important people say?

Comments like yours make me want to crap vomit. I mean that constructively, if that’s possible.

Edit: That was mean, sorry. Still though.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Hey, and if he wants to do it all totally anonymously and cover his tracks correctly, I’m sure he’ll be fine.
      But you know you can’t just openly distribute things you don’t own and ignore lawsuits, right?

Maybe try thinking for more than half a second before attempting to be snarky next time.

• James says:

It’s actually called having non-conditional standards, not snark. I get the confusion, though, as it was paradoxically also snark.

You like having a boss, at least a conceptual one, and think it is correct for others to have one as well.

I don’t acknowledge another person’s authority over me, certainly not with regards to how I spend my own time. It relates to the concept of inalienable rights. I happen to believe I actually have them (and that everyone else does, for that matter).

This is all pretty far afield, so I’ll at least agree if the material is just released quietly then there’s little chance of complication.

• DainIronfoot says:

Not all IP owners are bastards. That’s not the biggest problem this mod has. The biggest problem is the models ripped (i.e, stolen) from other games.

• Dreamhacker says:

Not to self: When releasing an infringing mod, release it anonymously and onto every torrent tracker imaginable

But seriously, when the heck are rightsholders going to get the difference between malicious infringement and FREE ADVERTISING?

• JasPurewal says:

Yes, it’s illegal (copyright/trade mark infringement). Yes, they’ll probably get a cease and desist. And yes, it’s silly because this is free advertising. I do my best to advise clients to LIKE this kind of mod, but most lawyers don’t agree. Pity me :(

• ResonanceCascade says:

@JasPurewal

Thanks for fighting the good fight. I didn’t mean to seem like I WANT this to get shut down, I was just pointing out that these things usually do, and that there’s not really anything we can do about it. Unless, apparently, we ignore our Illuminati bosses and stop letting the man exert his authority over our sovereign citizenship or whatever James was babbling about.

• James says:

Yeah, sorry…I heard that John Locke and a few other people were babbling about it and must have got caught up in the excitement. You know how these trends are.

7. mondomau says:

In case you don’t want to watch the Ironman video:

00:15: Ooo, that flight animation’s pretty good. Wonder if they can add rocket flare to it?

00:50 : Oh man, he’s landed in the middle of the road – I bet he’s going to let a car hit him and it’ll flip over or something.

01:00 Nope, just going to stand there and- wait, he’s grabbing that guy on a scooter.

01:10 And now he’s having a fist fight with him. Wooo.

01:30+ And now’s he’s boxing with a load of other dudes.

The end.

This is very impressive and all, but, dammit, I expected more.

• jon_hill987 says:

I thought that with the Superman mod as well. I just wanted some superpowered villain to throw a truck at him and for him to catch it like a beach ball.

• Shuck says:

It was pretty impressive until he started a fist-fight with the guy on the scooter at which point it became hilarious. I’m not sure if that was intentional or not.

• thecat17 says:

Yeah, the video gets undeniably boring after the first minute. You expect me to watch you fight badly, with godmode on, for a full minute and a half? Really?

Now, if each person had flown down the block after each punch….

8. Jaffo says:

I’d rather have a mod that gave me a decent framerate in EFLC

• Pointless Puppies says:

Or in the base game for that matter.

Or real anti-aliasing support. Good god, what was Rockstar thinking?

• Davie says:

Agreed there. Christ, the graphics options in GTA4 don’t even make sense. Definition? Just in case I want my game to be a blurry mess all the time? Sure, why the fuck not?

9. BritishTexan says:

Whilst I would like to play GTA4 and try out some mods, it has absolutely horrendous texture z-fighting issues on my HD3650 that no amount of monkeying with drivers or settings has been able to resolve. Doesn’t happen with any other game either, which makes it slightly more annoying somehow. Might be in a position to upgrade after wedding and honeymoon next month though and finally see what the fuss is about.

10. icupnimpn2 says:

Maybe the model was taken from MVC3, but the textures don’t look it.

• Inigo says:

I think it’s down to the different graphics engine. Same reason why the Heavy looks cel shaded in TF2 and like a leukaemia patient in Night At The Inventory.

• Pointless Puppies says:

TF2 doesn’t use cel shading.

• Wulf says:

I was confused by that, too. TF2 with cell-shading would be interesting, though! But yes, TF2 certainly does not have any form of cell-shading.

• Dozer says:

[pedant]Inigo only said the heavy looks like he’s cel-shaded.
      [/pedant]

edit: Oh look a reply from Inigo immediately below my reply. I failed my Spot check. What a shame.

11. Inigo says:

PHONG SHADING THEN
    WHATEVER
    GOD

• Inigo says:

I HATE YOU REPLY BUTTON

• Wulf says:

IS IT INTERNATIONAL UPPER-CASE DAY AGAIN? I THINK I MISSED THAT MEMO, BUT THIS IS ALWAYS FUN! NOW I SHALL HAVE A CIVIL CONVERSATION WHILST LOOKING LIKE A SHOUTY PERSON. I HOPE YOU DON’T HATE THE REPLY BUTTON TOO MUCH, BECAUSE I’M CERTAIN IT DOESN’T HATE YOU.

• mondomau says:

EVERYBODY STOP SHOUTING. I CAN’T HEAR MYSELF SAYING ‘PHONG’.

Heh. Phong.

• James says:

Phong.

12. Premium User Badge wyrmsine says:

I can’t wait to fly Iron Man to the nearest bar. Hilarity ensues.

13. Zarunil says:

This mod looks TIGHT! I wa-

Where’s my coat… Thanks.

14. whatthefuckisthis says:

Great post guys. It’s just a fucking model swap. “Gee, a Marvel GTA mod, this will be fun! Oh, wait, Iron Man is mugging people.” Way to give something shitty exposure.

15. Premium User Badge FriendlyFire says:

I’m rather saddened that the sole mod news in months comes about a rather lackluster Iron Man mod. The animations don’t even fit the way Iron Man actually moves and does stuff, you can clearly see how it’s a cosmetic swap for the Superman mod. Sure, the suit looks good and it’s funny, but it’s not really a showcase of what’s possible with modding.

As a modder, I sure hope more serious/large-scale mods will also get some love.

16. danielgrak says:

I’m always annoyed when modders replace in-game ads with real ads. I thought people were supposed to hate real ads. They’re probably the same people who complain about real advertisements in other games.
    Anyway. Nice mods I suppose

• tocard2 says:

@danielgrak It makes sense in something like GTA4 though. The game is an amazingly well crafted, well lived-in city. The RL ads just bring in that much more depth to it (depending on if the textures are high-res enough or not) in my opinion.

Honestly, if adding real ads into a GTA game helped fund them, I would be all for it. I just don’t want to pull out a T-Mobile cell phone, or see three different ads in the entire city (I’m looking at you Prototype!).

• Vandelay says:

Agreed tocard2. I don’t particular have any issue with ingame advertising in principle. I manage to ignore it on television and in films, so if it means games I want to play get more money to be made then I’m all for it. As long as it is tastefully done and isn’t shoved down your throat every few seconds then it isn’t an issue for me.

Heck, even Chaos Theory’s gum advertising didn’t bother me that much, as it was so incredibly cheesy it made me laugh.

• thecat17 says:

Except, that doing so would destroy the satiric tone that the developers are going for, and have been going for since at least GTA3 (if not before… haven’t played the first two). The fake ads are an integral part of the GTA experience, providing commentary on crass-commercialism within a hypercapitalist society.

Except, in GTAIV’s case having to recreate Times Square means that ads are shoved down your throat every few seconds in that section of the game. Which is what I believe danielgrak was touching upon: we in the first world countries are so saturated by real ads in our real lives, what’s the point of modding a game that makes note of this fact and replacing the satirical ads with real ones?

17. povu says:

That Iron Man video would’ve been much better if it cut the second half out. I was waiting for stuff to happen, pedestrians and cars being kicked three blocks away, but the guy is doing nothing interesting at all. >.>

• kororas says:

Yeh i was half expecting the first punch to send teh pedestrian flying off into the nearest car bonnet. Oh well :(

18. Gundato says:

Dude, it is Demon in a Bottle: The Video Game.

Fly around NYC as Tony Stark, randomly stealing cars and beating people up.

19. Masked Dave says:

All this shows me is how fucking awesome the Avengers game has the potential to be.