Third Space Marine Dev Diary Is Shiny

By Jim Rossignol on August 11th, 2011 at 1:37 pm.

Servo-skull. SERVO-SKULL.
But not as shiny as studio marketing man James McDermott! Look at his beautiful face. That is a man who knew his immaculate beard was going to appear on a video watched by thousands that day. He’s no Servo-Skull.

Anyway, this trailer talks about the production of the game, making it all look and sound spectacular. There’s loads of cinematic footage – because Relic learned stuff from the movie industry, apparently – and a bit about the general environment and ambience. I think anyone who isn’t excited about this is probably not taking care of their inner Space Marine, and need to think a bit about how he’s feeling right now. Poor guy. He’s all alone in there with your inner child, your inner 1980s Wall Street banker, and your inner Credible Adult. And they all need to learn to get along. They really do.

Okay, go watch the video. You are ready.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. bleeters says:

Staring eye tag, and all that.

2. Sigvatr says:

You linked to Lexicanum. I am proud of you (you bastard).

3. stahlwerk says:

While looking (and sounding) positively awesome, I couldn’t help but snigger at the sound-design part where he’s talking about creating the believable epic scale of the world with sounds. Then we see a far off falling-explody-thing with apparent instantaneous sound travel. Oh, to wish for realistic speed of sound in games / entertainment in general…

• westyfield says:

Yeah, it really bothers me when that happens. Operation Flashpoint 2 was pretty good in that respect, you’d see a meaty explosion and dust cloud, then a few seconds later WHUMP.

• godwin says:

It was probably already in the original OFP, because Arma has that. Interestingly, it was also something I noticed in BF1942 – really adds to immersion within a space.

4. Hanban says:

That trailer made me PUMPED. LET’S VISIT GAM GAM!

5. Saul says:

Every part of me wants to get excited about this. Every part of my is afraid that it could never possibly live up to my 12-year-old imagination which was in love with everything about Space Marines. Ah well, I’ll be backpacking in India when it comes out, so I’m sure it will be old news by the time I get back.

6. RianXD says:

looks AWWWWsum.

7. Orija says:

Sadly, all of said blockbuster moments are constituted bu the cut-scenes and little of the gameplay.

8. Flameberge says:

Ugh. I hate the word ‘cinematic’ in relation to games. I don’t want my games to be cinematic, any more than I want my cinema to be ‘gamematic’ or ‘novelematic’.

Trying to be ‘cinematic’ is what lead Call of Duty down its dark hole to being appalling: too busy putting big impressive things the player is not even involved with on the screen and forgetting to actually put some ‘game’ in the mix somewhere.

Don’t think Space Marine will be guilty of that, as this is just marketing bumpf, but describing games as cinematic really gets my gretchin.

• Khann says:

I really, really don’t like the way all AAA games seem to be striving to become Hollywood instead of making video games their own thing.

• Xocrates says:

Yes, all that talk of “cinematic” and “Hollywood Blockbuster” made me flinch.

Is it really that hard to market games as being, you know, interactive?

• Ultra Superior says:

Yeah I think its a message to all WH40K fans – this is the closest you can get to cinematic depiction of the universe.

Because WH40K exists almost 30 years as nothing but games and all people who love the universe are DESPERATE to finally see it properly VISUALISED IN MOTION AND STORY EPICNESS.

I love gamey games more too, but when it comes to WH40K I want cinematicness.

• GHudston says:

I don’t think that “Cinematic” and “Interactive” are mutually exclusive. It’s just that more developers need to learn to do both at once.

• banski83 says:

Add me on the list of people who’re getting sick of “cinematic” games.

And this trailer is starting to make me think they’re chucking a hell of a lot of hype around about this. Call me cynical.

• PickyBugger says:

What a load of PR mumbo jumbo.

My real problem with the game apart from it being a chest high wall simulator is the apparent lack of customisation. Even scene is of the generic space marine captain with his bolt pistol and chainsword, where’s my terminator armour etc. Maybe they are just hiding all that stuff till release but I do hope that it’s in the game because these third person slaughter fests generally get boring after the first hour especially if you only use one weapon type. They become even more dull if the actual gameplay is taken away and replaced with cinematics and scripted events.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I’ll be the pretentious one and point out that HUGE CINEMA BLOCKBUSTERS have almost universally sucked for the past decade or two.

When you say BLOCKBUSTER nowadays I think Transformers (the movie where you can’t tell who’s punching who) or Avatar (the movie where “Unobtainium” and Space Native Americans was the best they could come up with). These are not things you want me to associate your game with.

I’d love to see an actual survey done, with a good random sample and so forth, to query gamers on what they actually want from games. I really don’t think “more giant set pieces and barely-interactive scenes to watch-play” would score that highly…

• WrongThinker says:

I love all kinds of games. Metal Gear Solid is cinematic. Bad Company 2 is cinematic. God of War is cinematic. These are all great games, IMO. I love Heroes of Might and Magic and Bloodline Champions as much as the next guy, but being cinematic isn’t necessarily bad just like NOT being cinematic isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

• aethereal says:

@Pickybugger
      You mean, apart from the total and complete absence of chest high walls?
      Also, there’s a decent bit of customization (or at least appears to be) in the multiplayer

9. MonkeyMonster says:

DING DONG! Power on that Big Bad Boy :D In the game too.

10. westyfield says:

As someone who is not interested in Warhammer, the news that they are having a proper orchestra do the music instead of synthesising it is the most exciting thing about that trailer. Even more so than “Worry not, Captain.”

• iniudan says:

Has long has the orchestra has pipe organ I will be happy (this is 40k, it require some track with pipe organ)

• Arglebargle says:

The orchestra thing smacks of pretension to me. Or of games’ sound guys excitedly going gaga over getting a chance to play around with ‘a real live orchestra!’ More trouble than it’s worth, imo.

And unless the costs have gone down on it, a great expander of expenses.

11. JonathanStrange says:

Oy, one o dem Chaos gits iz attackin da Boss. Go get em boss, we’z believe in ya!

Seriously though, even though I know according to the laws of narrative that the ‘greater’ villain, aka Chaos, will win and that that brief glimpse shown is probably the moment in the game where the lesser villain is defeated by the greater one in order to prove himself as a credible threat, but I can’t help but vote for the Warboss. Ork are always the best!

Hell, I wanna play as da Orkz. Hummiez justa buncha Grots.

• UTL says:

Is it just me or do the Orcs sound like they have Asthma?

I want to hear a meaty WAAAGH!

• Skeleton Key says:

Orksies are never defeated in battle.
      If we win, we win
      and if we die, we die
      so it don’t count as defeat.
      And if we runz away, we can always come back for anuvva go, see?
      – commonly held Ork view of warfare.

• Ultra Superior says:

I’m pretty pissed I saw that chaos tainted inquisitor in the trailer.

I LOVE that SURPRISING plot point when the imperial Inquisitor is revealed to be the evil guy.

Argh, why would they ruin it like this! :D

12. razgon says:

it’s weird, but when they mentioned being on the train (When speaking of sound) I immediately thought about Metro: Last light, and how the train looked there. From that point on, I couldn’t help but noticed how dated the engine looked.

Probably because its a console title as well, I know, but still. Imagine this game in the Metro game engine

• WrongThinker says:

I dunno, the animation here is really, really good. Better than I remember Metro’s being. Also, the environments are much larger. Metro certainly was more “realistic,” but this is just trying to be badass, and I feel it’s succeeding.

13. piratmonkey says:

Who else was really disappointed by the bolter in that cutscene? Sounded like a modern day rifle instead of a gun that shoots exploding bullets.
    That said, the game looks quite good and I can’t wait to destroy some lapdogs of the Corpse-God with my heavy bolter.
    MAIM BURN KILL!

14. kikito says:

hype++

15. pissant says:

yes, sell a AAA *game* on the merits of being ‘epic’ and ‘cinematic’ and having an orchestra. That will help you stand out from the crowd. Wonder how Relic went from redefining the RTS genre and bringing in YES for the soundtrack to this.

16. fallingmagpie says:

I love me an interactive video game experience.

17. Glow says:

Wait What? 0.34…what the hell is lara croft doing in this game?

18. It's not me it's you says:

Jesus, it’s painful how much more excited I was about this before that trailer. Seriously? If I want to watch a movie, I’ll put on a goddamn movie. Also, painting Space Marines as the good guys is kind of killing the one major thing of interest they’ve got going for them – they’re creepy xenophobic space nazis. (which sets them apart nicely from the usual superhuman race of good guys and makes them a pretty cool thing to tell stories about).

• RF says:

Yeah, pretty much this.

Also, the bolter sounds still suck. Despite the fact they seem to have changed them.

• bleeters says:

Yes, they do. For something that’s not too far removed from being a burst-fire grenade launcher, they’ve sounded extremely wussy so far.

19. RF says:

Why is there a female space marine? What is this?

20. Makariel says:

For the emperor!

I am guilty of complaining that all shooty-games these days sport some generic space marine, but for THAT space marine I might make an exception :D

21. aircool says:

Wouldn’t be Warhammer without the British voice acting.

22. Darko Drako says:

Slightly bizarre trailer. The gameplay footage looks interesting/exciting/makeyouwanttobuy, but the way the staff talked about their “entertainment product” was very off putting and would have been more appropriate for an investor meeting.

• Brise Bonbons says:

Ha! Great point. I’m not sure whether a lot of these developers even know who their target audience is anymore – gamers or investors.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, I never trust anyone who talks about their ‘product’. They are already tainted by the bean counter virus. Have to agree that this looked more like a ‘drum up (or placate) investors’ video.

• Ogun says:

Aye, it doesn’t seem like it’s aimed at punters at all.

As someone who has no interest in WarHammer/Space Marines (beyond wishing that they’d sued Epic for copying the chunky armour thing and thus prevented elephantiasis from becoming fashionable) the video was rubbish. It just makes the game look like all the other licensed tie-in pap that rots in the three for a tenner bin at Blockbuster – but if I imagine myself as an investor who plays a lot of golf, worries about baldness and has only ever played Freecell then it starts to make sense.

23. mpk says:

Was that a Titan I saw starting up at about 2:25?

• piratmonkey says:

A Titan got shown a few times in this. If I don’t get to watch it go to war, I’m going to be severely disappointed.

24. Vexing Vision says:

The orcs don’t sound very orcish. Hope that’s placeholder voices!

25. harrumph says:

I say this as someone who thinks the game looks outstanding (and can’t wait to play it): this is Exhibit A in the case for Why Games Aren’t Art.

26. rawtheory says:

Game looks like shite. Here’s hoping looks are deceiving.

27. Davie says:

To all you people complaining about the focus on being “cinematic”: This is probably as close as we’ll ever get to a proper 40k movie. Enjoy it for what it is. I certainly will.

• 0p8 says:

i kinda feel the same way….. but i’m a bit confused now after hearing that god awfull way devs talk up their “products” nowadays.I hate it, BUT i do wanna see some 40K cinematics at the same time.
      (i enjoyed the Ultramarines movie (voices by terrence stamp, sean pertwee, john hurt) and just want more now).

• Sassenach says:

“Every game developer dreams of making a movie”

Really? Perhaps they are in the wrong profession.

• Davie says:

See, Relic kind of blew my mind with how perfect the Dawn of War cutscenes were (especially compared to the Ultramarines movie, which somehow made the concept of power-armored demon-fighting warrior monks dull and uninteresting), so despite really looking forward to having a good space marine shoot-n-chop, I’m just as eager to see what they do storywise. Even if it’s all horribly scripted, it will still be fun to watch.

28. vader says:

I want to play orcs! Waaagghh!!

29. Iskariot says:

The game looks excellent.
    The talk about “Hollywood Blockbuster” makes me wary though. More than anything else to me that indicates uninspired mediocrity. Hollywood produces more shit than good movies.
    But I plan on buying this title. From what I have seen this might be a very cool game.
    Anyone know how long the SP campaign lasts?
    If it is 8 hours or less, I decline.
    I never pay more than 10 bucks for a game that short.

30. wodin says:

Like a blockbuster it will last approx 2 hours……well lets be generous and say 5 hours single player…

31. sasbean says:

Stop worrying about the ‘cinematic’ side, the gameplay all looks really solid and fun.
    ‘The difference between heresy and treachery is ignorance’. Seeing as you have not played this game you are ignorant of has good it is and so I will not accuse you of heresy.

32. Bfox says:

He said “triple A title”, all I heard was “It’s safe as possible and going to make loads’a moneh!”

33. RegisteredUser says:

I still want the original Space Marine game.

Comment on this story