So: Retail Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

By Jim Rossignol on August 12th, 2011 at 3:51 pm.

The skyscraper? Valve HQ. The scene? An EA' executive's dream.
The moves! They are becoming clearer. As many of you speculated, it seems that the retail version of Battlefield 3 will indeed require Origin to be installed on your computer in order to play it. Oh Twitter, how did we find out brief snippets of information (or organise anarchic uprisings against the grim hegemony of shoe shops) before you existed?

This admission by EA probably goes some way to explaining why the game won’t appear on Steam, because it would basically entail two Steam-like systems being folded around the game, and they would inevitably fight like giant sperm whales versus kraken in the magnetic depths of your hard-drive. Such a conflict would undoubtedly cause electronic terribleness to occur, and no-one wants that. That’s my understanding of the technical situation, at least. I suspect there are also overriding commercial monsters pulling the levers behind the scenes. This is the game could spread Origin about in the game-o-sphere, just as Counter-Strike and Half-Life 2 propagated Steam.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am betting that you do.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Koozer says:

I’m not too bothered about requiring Origin, I’ve lived through worse – I’m looking at YOU Games for Windows Live. I’ll just never buy anything directly from their overpriced store, and I hope the majority do the same.

2. sassy says:

Being a multiplayer game, I don’t mind a client taking care of a lot of the netcode and statistics management. In this day and age though if you need this then just make a nice little library to be used across your games library so it can be used on the variety of different platforms (such as steam, GFWL, green man gaming, impulse and any of the other stores that uses a client). This just reeks of a marketing move to encroach on steams market.

3. jezcentral says:

I can’t see any problem with EA doing this. Since Steam was initially launched in the same way, I would feel a hypocrite for criticising EA. It will be good to see what Steam do in return, now they have competition.

Hopefully, the fact that Origin is also running a mobile version will see Valve finally come out with a Steam app (if only for the Steam Community, Store and forums). We could do with parental controls, too, so children can play Toki Tori (a bit too hardcore, though) and not see that Daddy has been playing 200 hours of Duke Nukem Forever.

And equally hopefully, EA will realise that closing down Origin games will do irreperable harm to their Origin store, and they’ll not do it.

• sassy says:

umm that parental control thing ain’t happening. You are buying a single license and you aren’t meant to be sharing your steam account, so in theory your scenario shouldn’t ever happen (In theory no one should have ever played DNF for that long either). Really I couldn’t care less and have shared my account with people I’m living with or dating plenty of times. More likely to generate sales then anything.

• jezcentral says:

Good point, but I was thinking of having it more like a password-protected Library List. I’m sure that would be legally acceptable.

N.B. I’d just like to make clear that I DON’T own Duke Nukem Forever. I was just using it as an example! :)

4. Rider on the Storm says:

I think some idiots on here forget that Valve have been doing the same with Steam for years. Steam didn’t just become like it is today instantly, to be frank it was a bit shite to begin with and Valve also forced Steam upon anyone who wanted to play their games or has everyone magically forgotten about that?

Any EA game i buy via retail, i register that tile via Origin, therefore i’ve got both digital and physical copies. This news doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

The more competition Valve gets the better as it’s not good for the consumer having only one company dominate a particular market.

• vodkarn says:

I think a lot of people remember (I sure as hell do), but the difference is most of us waited for steam to improve. With Origin, we already know the massive problems it will have, so why would we use that instead of a more tried and tested platform?

• 0p8 says:

i remember being excited to play the sequel to my most favourite game (half life), only to be startled by this steam thingy and not being allowed to just play the damn game i had just bought!!!!
      how can anyone forget that.

• Cyampagn says:

@vodkarn how come you already know the ‘massive problems it will have’?

Amusing. It was tuned by a completely different dev team, and I know it, so don’t ask.

5. wintermute says:

I haz a thought on dis.

Recently, I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Vietnam expansion from Origin. Things I learned:

1. Even though I made an EA account and downloaded Origin two years ago to buy Burnout Paradise, their “system upgrades” mean that it does not show as purchased. I have called support over this, and a helpful robot informed me no purchases are visible so I must be lying. Goodbye cash, goodbye game.

2. Origin automatically localizes by your IP and it’s bugged so every restart resets manual changes. Much worse, any game you install will automatically come in the language Origin is in. If you are not in an english speaking territory and want the game to be in english – bad luck. Of course you won’t know about this issue until you start the game, after a few hours of downloading.

I found this bug to be around 2 years old via googling, and nothing has been done since then. Solution was to cancel Origin order and buy a physical box from a shop, then download an english release torrent and use boxed CD-Key – good times.

3. Once started, game told me CD-Key was in use. Two hours on chat to support sorted it out. (Support was actually very helpful, if very robotic)

4. Vietnam was purchased on Origin via Paypal. CD-Key email came after 3 days after another one hour on chat with support.

Overall, a pleasant evening with a new game turned into a 4 day saga of cursing. Based on this experience, I think even thought Origin may find mass adoption because, well, it’s Battlefield 3, in the end the only loser is us the players.

**** EA

6. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Yep, nothing whatsoever wrong with this. It’s a publisher releasing a game on their own distribution platform. Good luck to them. It’s the logical business model for someone the size of EA.

And hopefully more publishers will follow suit. A few of the more militant Steam supporters will moan for a little while, but they’ll get used to things – 99.9% of those who really want to play a non-Steam EA game will use Origin if they have to.

And as time goes by, no doubt Origin will get better.

• Commisar says:

hit the nail on the head there. The true battlefield fans(like me) will get this day one no matter what. Having played the Alpha/use origin to get BF2142, i can say that i was pleasantly surprised by how good origin was. Plus I can turn off Origin whenever I want on my taskbar and I can restart it in seconds :) Plus it doesn’t whine about updates constantly. to all of those people saying ‘Well if it requires origin to validate the install, I’m not going to buy it” then ok, I’ll have fun without you. Plus, that guy’s comment was so vague, I say wait until gamescon for more verification.

7. drewski says:

As long as Origin has an Offline mode somewhere, I don’t care.

• Commisar says:

heck, I’ll give you one better. You can COMPLETELY Uninstall Origin once your game is DLed and installed. Plus, if you don’t do that, yo can shut down origin completely when you’re not using it and restart it in seconds with no hassle.

• drewski says:

Long may it continue…but I’m not counting on it, y’know?

8. ZenArcade says:

Big publishers ruling out second hand sales via use of huge clunky DRM software. Oh wait I meant “delivery systems.” They’re just being greedy. It’s a publisher choice, not a developer choice. Stuff like this always is. Developers are just happy to have their game sell well, they’re not interested in “maximizing sales” or stamping out second hand purchases.

I don’t mind Steam doing it so much as they usually make it worth it with untold amounts of sales, cloud stuff, stats, etc etc. But how do I know Origin won’t be just another programme that sits in my tray?

• drewski says:

You don’t, but then you never had any guarantee Steam would be anything other than an obnoxious system hog when Half Life 2 came out. And, to be fair, for a long time it…kinda was.

If you’ll put up with Steam, it’s just flat out hypocrisy to get pissy about Origin in theory. Criticising the implementation is, of course, another matter, but if you’re happy to accept Valve’s always on DRM, accepting EA’s version really shouldn’t be a problem.

• Ravenholme says:

Except Drewski, Steam has teethed and grown up, and become a mature and stable system. I don’t want to go through the same shit with yet another system which has shown itself to be WORSE than steam was in infancy. Couple that with the fact that EA have none of the helpful customer attitude that Valve have (My dealings with customer support for valve over the past few years, including retrieving an account that was hacked on christmas day by the day after boxing day, have been breezy and friendly. EADM/Origin, attempting to get a CD-Key for a game I had bought which said it was in use took me all of a week being batted between bots) and frankly my reaction to this is somewhere between “Meh” and “Fuck that shit.”

I just cancelled my retail BF3 pre-order, because if it’s going to have Origin included as well, when it has no reason to, they can forget that.

• TormDK says:

Funny, I can say the same about EA support vs Steam support.

EA support is quick to respond and eager to help, not to mention that I can get it in my native language if I so wanted (Which can be a huge selling point for alot of casual players in the future). Steam support takes its time and doesn’t always seem to bother.

• Ravenholme says:

Well, my experience with steam support has been excellent. I can honestly say that I would find no one around to provide support on boxing day if it were EA. Valve I had a prompt response in which they asked to prove my ownership of the account, I did so, and I was playing games again by the early hours of the morning of the 27th.

• drewski says:

@ Ravenholme – yes, it has. Why don’t EA get the chance to grow Origin up? Why do people seem to think that Valve are the only company in the world who are allowed to have ever had teething problems with a service? Why, in short, is it OK for Valve to release a bugridden system hogging mess of a DRM system, take five years to fix it, yet if EA so much as dares create their own DRM system, it’s the end of the universe?

The only difference between Origin and Steam is five years of polish. If EA can’t get Origin right, by all means don’t use it. Denying them even the chance to try it on the basis that Valve already did it is, well, stupid. More competition is always a good thing.

Origin may be practically different, but it’s philosophically the same. There’s no reason EA can’t have their own service.

9. vodkarn says:

To be as brief as possible:
    I’ve had nothing but problems with EA’s servers. Mass Effect 2 has turned me off of EA ‘online’ required games entirely (Bad Company 2 as well, though not nearly as severely).
    Thusly: Instead of Battlefield 3 convincing me to try Origin, Origin has convinced me to not buy Battlefield 3, which will be the first Battlefield game (on PC) I haven’t bought.

PS. This has nothing to do with it being on steam – I don’t care about that. It is simply the repeatedly-beaten-into-me lessons learned from using EA products.

• Commisar says:

good Christ, YOU can get it from ALOT of other sources, plus that damn comment was so vague, I’m not sure what he meant. it could just be a ONE TIME install validation. But, if means that much to you, i will have all the fun you won’t be having in BF3 :) lus, i used Origin 4 days ago to get BF2142 and it was hassle free.

10. Glow says:

can someone just develop a programme that allows Steam, Origin, Capsule and whatever else is out there to co-exist as one…..I really dont want to have to remember where I bought a game before I play it

11. wintermute says:

Once every major and major-ish publisher has their own distribution platform, users’ computers are filled with more junk software than games and booting windows will result in clicking through thirty pages of adverts, my Game Download Service Manager Meta-Manager will launch.

It will be a convenient place to store all your game managers such as Origin, Steam, Impulse etc. Browse one unified game and advert library! Launch any game with only five clicks! Each in-game overlay comes with a meta-overlay with many useless features! Gather all your game manager friends into one list with cross-shard chat!

$$$$$$$$$$$

12. Zarunil says:

Steam was a steaming pile of poo when it first crawled out of it’s hole years ago. Today’s version does not compare. Today’s Steam is great, and I use it every day.

I’m sure Origin will be terrible at first. Terrible. However, I am hopeful EA will polish and work on it until, years from now, it will be an awesome, user-friendly service with reasonable pricing. Well, maybe not reasonable pricing. That would probably be hoping too much, this is EA after all. It will likely never be cheaper to buy games on Origin compared to buying at retail. All this expensive distribution of bits across huge oceans and all that.

I wish them luck, but I won’t be taking part in it.

• thegooseking says:

The Origin software is not bad (and certainly not nearly as bad as Steam was initially). EA needs to work on the service side of things, though. If they’re going down the road of insisting that their games are a service and not a product, then they need to compete as a service. They can’t really have their cake and eat it.

13. Eightball says:

No mod support means I had lost a lot of enthusiasm anyway, so I guess I don’t care anymore.

Back to TF2 and Paradox games!

14. GenBanks says:

It seems these different download services are becoming the equivalent of the console world but within the PC. Platform exclusives and all.

15. dtskull says:

Origin just came too later for me. I’ve bought 120+ games on steam the last thing I want is to spread out my games though different platforms. Besides if ether company were to go under I know Valve would do the right thing to ensure their customers can play the games they bought. I just don’t think EA would even care…

Besides, look at their business practices! All the lies about the game not coming to steam, blaming valve for it. Origin was the plan from the beginning!

• drewski says:

I honestly don’t understand this attitude at all.

I’d rather have 121 awesome games on two “platforms” than 120 awesome games on one. It’s not like installing Origin costs you anything about from a tiny fragment of hard disk space and a little bit of download.

• dtskull says:

It is the general lack of trust towards EA. I have been burned before more than a few times by them. Their business practices are just terrible IMO. Yes I do try to keep all my games in the same platform, I mean why not? Valve has been nothing but fantastic to me, from support to the general quality of their services. The last time I dealt with EA their sales department assured me that NFS-HP (the new one) was in no way coming to steam. I bit the bullet and bought it retail. literally 48 hours later the game was on steam, and I missed out on playing it with my steam friends. Only because I decided to believe EA. Let’s be really honest here. EA does not give a mouse shit bout PC gamers! they can’t wait for the medium to die so can quit supporting it. They have finally realized their stupidity and are trying to follow on the steps of the guys that never left us to die (Valve)… I am supper glad that PC gaming is gaining ground again, but trust me EA had nothing to do with it.

• drewski says:

Lack of trust is a much better argument for not being interested in Origin than disliking platform diversity.

16. Alfius says:

There are no words to describe my hatred of EA

17. The Hammer says:

Two things about this make me queasy:

1) The thought of another distribution platform cluttering up my system tray.

2) The staggering amount of smileys that public rep uses, in contexts where they are not appropriate.

2 more than 1, admittedly.

• Ravenholme says:

And something I’ve discovered since participating in the BF3 Alpha – There is no obvious way to disable Origin launching on system start up.

• Starky says:

msconfig

Every gamer should know that simple command.

• Ravenholme says:

Indeed, but it should be a part of the service. It certainly is in Steam. Options, Interface, untick ‘Run steam on startup.’ – Done. Time elapsed – 5 seconds (if that), and never have to worry about it again. And what about people who do not know that command, the hordes of casual-ish gamers who don’t really know computers?

• drewski says:

That bugs the bejesus out of me, too.

18. Ham Solo says:

And that’s why it won’t be available via Steam. I don’t like having to run a different program for every game.

19. Tasloi says:

Fair enough, their choice. Just like it’s my choice to stay clear of BF3, cya EA.

20. televizor says:

That settles it then, I’m getting this on the PS3

21. Rider on the Storm says:

Blah, Blah, Blah…every cunt here will still buy it, regardless of Origin. Those who say otherwise are just kidding themselves on.

• drewski says:

I won’t, but then I don’t really like modern warfare style shooters.

• Ravenholme says:

I just cancelled my pre-order, actually. The only game that will make me use Origin is ME3. Maybe, and they’ll both be uninstalled when I’ve finished playing it.

• Commisar says:

yeah, ain’t that the truth, I can’t WAIT to see the hypocrisy here on RPS when BF3 releases

• Brise Bonbons says:

I’ve never bought a Battlefield game yet, but I guess the psychic overlords at EA will use their mind control beams to make me buy this one. Or perhaps I will just feel compelled due to overwhelming peer pressure?

Well, that has never been the case for a CoD game, so I dunno why it would start now.

It’s not like we’re short of good alternatives in the manshoot field at the moment, either. By the time I’ve bought SS3:BFE and Red Orchestra 2, I doubt I’ll have any money left over to even think about BF3. And I don’t feel like I’ll be missing much, honestly…

• The Sentinel says:

I’ve never played a Battlefield game. Am I still a cunt who will buy it, O prescient Knowers of What Is To Be? Is there hypocrisy in my future, like there is unbelievable arrogance in my present?

• Harkkum says:

I don’t play any shooters so I can fairly well say I won’t buy it, but that has nothing to do with this decision.

22. Rider on the Storm says:

Steam Zombies, continue to be Steam Zombies.

23. Slade says:

Please, EA, don’t put Origin on Mass Effect 3.

24. GHudston says:

My predicition: The vast majority of people will have origin installed solely for this game (and/or further EA games that require it), grumble everytime they have to load it up just to play and continue to buy everything else on Steam as they have been doing for years now.

To me, this is just EA making their products fractionally more irritating to use and nothing more.

25. Freud says:

Origin – We create worlds of hassle for you.

26. Bostec says:

Another game down the pan, My chirstmas list to myself is getting ever so slighty shorter. I can’t take anymore logins or sign ups. I forget half of my passwords and half of my usernames not to mention all the programs I run in the background. They will probably merge into some super code, Delete all my save game files, send all my porn to the girlfriends e-mail account, electrocute me through the mouse and set the house on fire via electric cooker. Not good.

27. Aemony says:

BF3 vs. CoD:MW3 just became Origin vs. Steam… And Steam wins everytime.

Thanks for making my choice easy, EA. I sure love that about you.

28. SteveHatesYou says:

Steering clear of this. Not out of loyalty to Valve/Steam – I think the competition is a good thing – but because I have no faith in EA’s ability to manage something like this competently.

29. AMonkey says:

*sigh* I don’t know whether I want to buy this or not then. On the one hand I really want a competitive game to keep me occupied (games in the past included TF2, LoL, CoD4, BF:BC2 and CS 1.6) but I don’t want to support Origin or EA.

30. 0p8 says:

wow!
    i can see the levels of hysteria here will be going into nut job land any time soon.

31. Ryz says:

Honestly, this wouldn’t be a problem if Origin wasn’t totally half-baked and feature incomplete. This isn’t a Half Life 2/Steam situation because while Steam was a bit…*ungood* (to put it lightly)…when it launched it had all the features it needed to do so.

I did not have to launch Steam, “launch” Half Life 2 which in reality launched my web browser, install two browser plugins, and then actually launch Half Life 2 (while Steam pops to the forefront and displays ads while HL2 launches).

This is not a seamless integration in any way, shape, or form.

BF3 doesn’t have an in-game server browser, friends list, or stats. Everything has been punted to the web browser application (again, two browser plugins are *required*) while Origin sits in the background doing nothing and contributing nothing. Want to change servers? Exit the game, go back to the browser, pick a new server, relaunch the game.

Origin will also insist on being the focus while BF3 is actually launching in order to display ads. I looked through the terrible options trying to find an option to disable them, failed, and opted to drag the Origin window off my desktop. It’s not like it was being used for anything anyway.

it doesn’t handle patching, it doesn’t have any kind of file verification, you can’t even change your display name (your account name = your soldier name, and you only get one soldier) or pick a custom avatar (EA is happy to provide stock images from their games, though!).

It’s a terrible experience and, in my opinion, BF3 isn’t good enough to make me willing to put up with this half client/half web browser implementation. It made me feel like they had regressed back to the GameSpy Arcade days of old rather than at least coming close to a Steam-like integration for their titles. I’ll just keep playing BC2/Vietnam which has a functional in-game server browser, thanks.

And that’s the problem. Not that Origin is being used as a multiplayer framework and thus totally tied into the game, but that it isn’t used at all and is actively hampering the game due to all the standard features we had in BC2 have been ripped out into the Battle Log Origin Web Browser Experience while Origin does nothing except spam ads on game launch.

• Brise Bonbons says:

Not to direct any specific mistrust at you, Ryz, but this is a much more negative view of Origin than I’ve seen expressed anywhere else. That said, if things are actually this bad at launch, it’ll be a real laugh, but somehow I doubt it will be that bad by the time it goes live.

Honestly as a business move I don’t think there’s anything especially onerous in this whole affair – more competition is good for everyone, though obviously it might result in some loss of choice for the consumer in the short term.

But the devil will be in the details, not the big picture stuff – EA is free to do what they want with their games on the business end, but if the implementation is terrible, then no amount of “positive competition” or free market sentiment will save them from the backlash.

Like D3, I’m sure the games will sell well. And for those of us who don’t want to support the model, there are plenty of other games to give our financial support to.

• Ryz says:

That is an exact screenshot of the web browser based server browser and a link that talks a bit about the Battle Log. You can look for more information about it if you’d like, there’s several other Alpha players discussing it over at Bluesnews or Penny Arcade or, uh, anywhere really, as well. It’s hardly a well kept secret.

Just as an example.

Some things (one soldier per account, etc) could certainly change between Alpha and release, but I have a very hard time imagining DICE completely redoing the server browser and implementing it into the game after all the work they’ve put into the Battle Log website. Origin simply doesn’t have the framework for it.

• Brise Bonbons says:

Hey, thanks for the followup info!

I admit to being a bit lazy on this one, since BF3 just isn’t high on my list. I guess it’s not that far of a stretch to imagine that what you describe is the best they could do for launch, really – just most of the comments I’ve read about it are pretty positive, so I found your report surprising.

I’ll make sure to check out your links – thanks again!

• Ryz says:

No worries!

Don’t get me wrong, the game is fun and the gunplay is fantastic. The maps in Alpha weren’t that great, but it’s hardly fair to judge the entire game based off that, we didn’t get much in the way of vehicles, etc, etc. My criticisms have very little to do with the game and more to do with what’s being shoehorned onto it.

A lot of us assumed that the Origin requirement and weird web browser launching were just for the Alpha, which would be totally acceptable…but that is looking less and less likely with this confirmation. For me, the game would have to be an absolute revelation in the upcoming Beta to make it worth slogging through their current implementation of the Battle Log.

if they implement an in-game friends list/server browser, that’s different. But the fact it wasn’t there in Alpha and DICE hasn’t swooped in to say that it was only temporary, well….

32. Azradesh says:

My thoughts are…
    So what?

As long as the game is good and it doesn’t have always one DRM for single player. As long as it works.

People are far to hung up about steam or no steam.

Steam was awful when Half-Life 2 came out and it didn’t stop Half-Life 2 from been amazing.

33. aircool says:

Not really bothered at all. I doubt I’ll ever buy any games from Origin, but will use it for DLC. After all, I’ve had to install that horrid EA thing that preceded it to buy Battleforge points, Warhammer Online goodies and the code for BFBC2: Vietnam etc… It’s not been any problem apart from difficult to navigate.

If it makes patching easier, then that’s fine with me.

34. PearlChoco says:

I have to thank EA for solving my problem. I was on the fence, but now I’m certain: I won’t buy BF3.

I don’t see the big deal about this game anyway: the SP will probably be exactly the same scripted rail shooter as CoD (which I hate) and the MP will probably be very similar to BFBC2 (which I already own and still find fun to play). So why infest my PC with some more bloatware and pay 50 bucks? The graphics? Yeah, the lighting isn’t bad.

35. Aithran says:

Meh.
    It just means I don’t have any interest in the game at all.
    If I was a hardcore BF fan, then maybe I wouldn’t have cared.
    But now I can’t be bothered to deal with Origin.

36. killmachine says:

i hear competition all the time.

where is the competition if battlefield 3 is origin (and other distributors) only? steam cannot compete with origin in that matter. and origin cannot compete with steam, coze its an EA only platform.

this is no competition. its just another program i dont want to have installed.

for me personally its just an advertising program, nothing more. and bf3 will be the tool that installs it to our pc’s.

• drewski says:

Do you feel the same way about Valve and all the Steamworks games? Valve are no fans of competition either – if you want a direct download of one of their games, you go to Steam. Why is it OK for Valve to have their own games on a monopoly service, but not EA?

I’m more interested in if EA will open Origin up to third party publishers.

37. quercus says:

This isn’t a big deal so I don’t know why people are portraying it as such. It is exactly the same as Valve forcing Steam upon us to play their games, or Stardock forcing Impulse on us to play their games.

The only issue is that people need different community/portal/game software applications to play different games, much like the requirement to run different IM software to talk to different people a few years ago (until third party software became available that allowed you to hook into multiple ones).

38. The Sentinel says:

I dunno. On the fence a bit here. Origin sounds less of a binding force than Steam is, when it comes right down to it, so that’s one thing in it’s favour right there. Yes, it’s yet another login, yet another account, yet another bit of software…but practically everything we do online these days requires an account, and most of us are smart enough to figure out a way to keep on top of that. so it is really all that much of a pain?

39. drossy says:

I suspect a lot of publishers will be keeping a close eye on how this goes for EA and will start their own services if Origin woks out. They’ve been content as PC sales moved from retail to internet, as it didn’t upset the status quo. If (for example) Amazon had the pre-eminient digital distribution service for games, I think its less likely Origin would exist; but Steam upsets the applecart – Valve make games, so there must be a little nagging voice in the back of every the executives whispering “But we’re funding our competitors” everytime they view their Steam sales figures.

• drewski says:

Activision definitely will – they’re already taking Battle.net in that direction – but most of the other publishers probably don’t have the critical mass to support it.

40. Khemm says:

Hold on a moment there, so we need Origin installed – that might be a big deal or no problem at all, depending on how it’s been implemented.

Is it more like GFWL or Steam?

When it comes to the former, you can install offline, you merely activate. GFWL automatically starts when your game does.

When it comes to the latter, you have to update Steam and then be online for the whole file decryption and installation process. You have to launch the client before running the game.

I demand answers. NAO!

41. gwathdring says:

Doesn’t bother me especially much. Battlefield requires an account for multiplayer anyway, and EA is just as likely to discontinue server support too soon with or without Origin. I don’t feel any safer without Origin attached to it.

42. ran93r says:

Don’t much care, already installed Origin to play the alpha.
    It works and it’s not like I’m all of a sudden going to go apeshit and buy all my games on there, especially when the prices are hugely inflated. £10 more expensive for digital BF3 over retail, no thank you mister.

43. thesonglessbird says:

Used Origin for the alpha test and I didn’t have a problem with it. Obviously, I’d never buy the game from EA directly because I’m not made of money, but Origin itself isn’t too bad.

I don’t really get what it’s needed for though considering all the server browsing and stuff goes on in your web browser.

44. Porter says:

I’m not sure how I feel about it forcing me to use Origin, but if it’s an easy signup, non-annoying program, I don’t mind. If it tries to update all the time, throws up messages time to time, etc, I’ll be extremely unhappy about it. Overall, I don’t think it’ll be too much of an issue, here’s hoping.

45. Jahandar says:

So how much longer before we have to have an overkill of multiple redundant programs, as every publisher decides to “me too” this?

Boy its going to be great having individual required programs for

Take-Two
    Square Enix
    Stardock
    THQ
    Ubisoft
    Valve
    Warner Bros
    Any others I missed or that don’t exist yet

And that’s not including all the other online retailers, like GreenManGaming, D2D, Impulse, Desura, etc.

Maybe movie studios can get in on this too, who needs Netflix/itunes/amazon when you could have Rise of the Planet of the Apes coming exclusively on the 20th Century Fox Streaming Site!

• Khemm says:

I don’t know, ask Valve. They’re the dudes who started the whole internet activation/client stupidity.
      And everyone loves them for that. Stupid, I know.

• Jahandar says:

I included valve in the list, I don’t excuse them from this either. Although I would point out that when valve started they had to introduce online game purchases to people, when hardly anyone was doing it (aside from a few minor players).

I can cut them a little slack as they were basically carving out the digital distribution industry and getting people used to the idea of buying games online (a fact that now Origin can reap the benefits of).

• daf says:

Activision and Blizzard really count as one and should eventually both use Battle.net, Popcap is now EA.

After that atm most publishers seem happy to use gfwl or steamworks instead of rolling their own, because all in all, creating a platform isn’t trivial and might end up hurting you more then it helps.

Personally I don’t find download services a bad thing, but having to “re-friend” all my friends in steam, gfwl, battle.net, gamespy and now origin is starting to be a bit too much.

46. Onaka says:

Origin: Download and install and then always run our clunky software for the chance to buy Battlefield 3 or… Uh… Just download the thing!

47. DOLBYdigital says:

If it wasn’t for the ingenious quoted line below, I would’ve cried after reading this article. Thanks RPS for helping me stay on the happy tip

“…inevitably fight like giant sperm whales versus kraken in the magnetic depths of your hard-drive…”

48. Etherealsteel says:

I knew EA was going to do this with BF3, force people into using Origin to play the game. I really don’t like it, already have to use Gaming For Windows live even on Steam. I think this confirms it with the inclusion of No Mod support that I’ll not buy this game. I actually have to many games to play now anyway.

49. Lemming says:

Alot of the usual for/against in the comments that we”ve seen in all the Origin service articles, but some keep forgetting the one important thing wrong with this, and it’s the one thing that’ll be keeping me personally away from Origin:

EA is not ‘doing what Valve did with HL2′ as far as I can see, because (and correct me if I’m mistaken) they’ve only expressed an interest in doing this for EA games only. Steam acts more like a retailer (except for Valve games of which there are hardly many), creating a needed buffer between publisher and customer for games of many different developers and publishers. It’s what keeps prices competitive.
    Where is the competition in Origin? If it becomes the only place to get EA games online, then you can bet your arse they’ll have a significantly high price tag attached – and stay that way long past the time they have any right to.
    We better hope this isn’t successful, because if it is, other publishers will follow suit and competition amongst the big publishers will be zero.

• Kaira- says:

Where is the competition in Origin?

Umm, you know, there are other DD-services than Steam. They also happen to sell EA-games, like BF3.

• drewski says:

EA definitely won’t be anywhere near as successful with Origin as Valve are with Steam if they don’t open it up to third parties.

Which, of course, doesn’t mean they will…

• Lemming says:

Kaira, I was aware of other services existing of course, but I was under the impression that EA games were now going to be Origin only.

• Gnarf says:

Yeah, uh, I think it’s mostly just Valve and Blizzard (currently) doing that kind of thing. You can get Battlefield 3 from Impulse (at least if you’re on the American Internet) and GamersGate and stuff.

Comment on this story