Wargame: European Escalation Trailer Is Hot

By Jim Rossignol on August 12th, 2011 at 7:04 am.

I AM PLAYING WITH MY COLD WAR ARMY.
Wargame is what Eugen Systems, the chaps behind RUSE, did next. It’s a real-time strategy based on the Cold War, and goodness me, it’s looks hot. The scenario is very similar to World In Conflict, albeit a tiny bit more serious about it. Publishers Focus Home explain: “Wargame: European Escalation pits NATO (USA and Western Europe) against the Warsaw Pact (Soviet and Eastern European countries) in battles that explore “what could have been.” The specter of nuclear warfare loomed large over the real Cold War, but this catastrophic outcome was the ultimate last resort as everyone knew that the first one to start nuclear hostilities would end up wiped out just the same. Large, armored offensives through Europe would certainly have been the core of this hypothetical war; and this is what the game’s explosive campaign takes you through!”

Word is that the game is due in November, but it has also been confirmed for Q1 next year, so I guess that’ll get firmed up soon. We’re seeing it at GamesCom, anyway, so more news then, but I – based on my experiences with RUSE – am excited about this one.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DigitalSignalX says:

Looks sweet, I’m hoping it’s sort of the slightly less bleeding edge Arma game that will satisfy my open world war fetish without requiring a keyboard map and a degree in combat tactics, yet still far more then an arcade-ish battlefield remake.

2. MartinNr5 says:

I like how they point out that this is all in-game footage but what if a CGI sequence is included in the game, wouldn’t that be “in-game footage”?

3. TheThinkTanker says:

Whoa, looks like learning to use artillery effectively is going to be key, which is very different from the way I usually play RTS games.

Zergling rush! Kekekekekekekeke!

• f4Ri says:

Starcraft is RT-S.
      Company of Heroes is RT+S.
      Learn the difference, might save your life.

• Guyver says:

if CoH its RT+S, then MoW:AS its RT+++++++S

• Davee says:

@Guyver:
      MoW and previous games in the series would be more like RT+T in my opinion! T being “Tactics”. There’s not much overlaying strategy in those games compared to the incredibly intricate tactics you need to employ to get through a mission. Which is why I’ve loved them since the first one (HoWWII)!

Games could totally use more detailed genre-descriptions considering the major crossovers we have today (FPS+RTS+RPG’s anyone?)… And of course the ones that don’t fit any of the existing ones. :p

4. StranaMente says:

I hope they aren’t published by ubisoft anymore, that’s why I avoided RUSE and ubi drm.

5. PatrickSwayze says:

Since Ubisoft own Massive now, why not just do a sequel for World In Conflict?

Do we need another cold war game series when the best one ever made has been made?

Does anybody know what Massive are up to now?

Can i finish this post on a question?

• Rich says:

According to wiki they’re collaborating on the next AssCreed and Far Cry 3.
      I also didn’t realise soviet assault only came out 2 years ago.

• Bennus says:

Whoa whoa whoa, the Cold War era quota is far from filled up. We’ve got a decade of FPSs to get through first.

6. cairbre says:

This does look promising will be keeping an eye on it.

Oh I saw on steam yesterday that Jagged Alliance is coming out and they were asking for pre-orders any news on this RPS?

7. westyfield says:

Hot damn those are some neat explosions. Not as good as World in Conflict’s, but then, what is?
    And those animations for the helicopter crashes look nice, it bothers me in games when a helicopter gets destroyed and just falls vertically.

• chabuhi says:

I was just watching a video for Homefront (or maybe it was Black Ops) and one scene showed a helo get its rotors blown off and it fell straight down just like you said. No effects from momentum or inertia or torque or … etc.

I was kind of surprised to see that in a modern game.

8. SpoiledToast says:

I’m still waiting for Company of Heroes: Modern Warfare.

The scene were an army of dudes are just standing in the middle of a field shooting each other really turned me off this game.

9. battles_atlas says:

God where would we be without tracers? Just a lot noise and things turning into things with holes in.

10. roethle says:

Looks great hopefully somewhere between MoW and CoH on the difficulty curve. Soldner.

11. Strangeblades says:

Wow. This game is giving me chills. I feel this is where the world will be when covert resource conflicts become overt and public resource wars.

PS: How do I change my profile picture? I tried loading my regular one when I created my account but it didn’t take. Can I edit this one? Anyone know?

Comment on this story