Eagle™! Team 17′s Worms™: Crazy Golf

By John Walker on August 15th, 2011 at 2:58 pm.

Crazy golf AND Worms... together... it's too much!

Back in 1937, a man called Andy Davidson came up with an idea. That idea was to copy a game called Artillery, but to put worms in it. He took that idea to the visionaries at Team 17, and from then on the world would never be the same again.

Since that day there have been over three hundred thousand games based on the Worms license, because when an idea is as fresh and original as Worms, it is imperative that it be repeated as close to infinitely as is humanly possible. And when you’ve got an idea as good as that in your locker, you never need think a new thought again. But that’s not enough for some. Some strive to go further, to take perfection and refine it, reshape it, reinvent it. And so it is that Team 17 have announced Worms: Crazy Golf.

Admit it. Just on reading the title you were put in your place. Sometimes you cockily think to yourself, “I’m a smart person – I come up with good ideas all the time”. Then you see someone thinking about taking that endlessly fresh Worms idea, and combining it with something so brilliant, so groundbreaking as crazy golf, and you hang your head in appropriate shame. There’s no off position on the genius switch.

It is, we’re informed, “a brazenly bonkers mixture of classic 2D Worms and hilarious eighteen-hole high jinks,” and promises to be the craziest golf we’ll ever play.

It will contain three “surreal” 18-hole golf courses, which will contain all sorts of wacky obstacles, and even the sheep that were in some of the other Worms games.

Due out later this year, it’s appearing on Steam, as well as lots of mobile platforms and the PS3. Start preparing yourself now.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Was Neurotic says:

More than anything else, I’m always just delighted to see Team 17 still going. When you’ve been around as long as the Amiga has, that’s an achievement.

• LionsPhil says:

Maybe one day they’ll even learn how to program!

Seriously, every game they’ve written for the PC has been a buggy, fussy nightmare. Worms™ 2 is horrendous to try to get running—it only runs on Win95/98 and crashes out if the first CD drive doesn’t have CD audio, and guess what virtual machines don’t tend to bother with. Armageddon was likewise iffy and regularly crashed out in such a way as to wipe out all the carefully set-up teams. Reloaded apparently now has horrendously buggy gameplay.

• Acosta says:

I’m the same, I always feel sympathy for them because that, even if I have not played the new Alien Breed (I plan to do it, some day) and it has been years since I don’t touch a Worm™.

• evilmatt says:

Team17 were amazing back in the Amiga days. It’s quite sad to see what they’ve become. The recent Alien Breed games were better than they were given credit for, though, I quite enjoyed them.

• HeavyStorm says:

I remember installing Worms: United from a floppy disk a friend of mine had. Those were the days! That’s why I also am happy that T17 still lives. That and the fact that is almost impossible that they are.

• Simon Hawthorne says:

Edit: Reply fail.

• Leandro says:

Team 17, they rock. The first time I played the Worms and Reinforcements demo back then (there was a just snow level and a hell level that i replayed to death, if I recall) I knew I had found my favorite PC game ever. It kept the post for a good while, actually.

• OpT1mUs says:

After Worms Reloaded fiasco, my trust in Team 17 plummeted.

• Persus-9 says:

I can’t say I’m too fond of Team 17. I love worms to death. Worms 2 is one of my favourite games ever and it’s easily one the most fun and instantly appealing games series around. So how is it that Team 17 persistantly manage to screw it us so horrendously badly. If they just make Worms 2 with higher resolution and a decent online multiplayer interface then they’d have made something wonderful but no, they think about it for several years and then they finally create all new game with new more ugly art assets, make the weapons feel more clunky, cut down the teams to a maximum of 4 per side to decrease the tactical depth, the amount of mayhem and make the game more random. Oh and introduce hats. I didn’t even bother buying it after playing the demo and it sounds like I avoided a lot of bugs and other nonsense because of that. And when all that doesn’t work they decide to have another go at 3D. *facepalm* These guys had a great idea and have a great IP but all the evidence points to them being idiots.

• Baines says:

Team 17 made a good game, then made a good sequel, and then decided the “Worms” name was enough to sell anything regardless of quality. Or effort. Or thought.

Team 17 is responsible for Worms: A Space Oddity, the abysmal Wii Worms game.

• TeraTelnet says:

I went off them when they started trying to sue Amiga Power.

“Kingpin is fun, especially when you’re drunk, but ATR is crap.”

• DrGonzo says:

So games that were made way before the existence of modern operating system should have been programmed to work smoothly with Windows 7. Yes that’s so unreasonable.

• LionsPhil says:

Oh, hey Gonzo. You ready to apologize for that RA2 thing yet?

(Psst: Worms 2 crashes on Windows 98 if you don’t have the CD in the first drive either. The team-erasing Armageddon bug? Windows 98 again.)

2. killerkerara says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t know what Worms™ is?

3. GenBanks says:

I’m already having nightmares of bashing my keyboard in frustration at the AI’s insane pinpoint accuracy. I’ve been scarred by the AI grenade/rocket launcher hax in Reloaded.

• SLeigher says:

Worms 2 was worse, some of the random crate drop missions was basically a race to kill the ai before grenades and bazookas unlocked

• Kdansky says:

But you could count on the AI going suicidal once in a while, and do things like use cluster grenades from seven pixels away. Nevertheless, I stopped playing them around the third one, but I have fond memories of playing the first two with friends and even family.

4. Phinor says:

How do you prepare for something like this?

• Thermal Ions says:

Visit your local mini-golf centre, challenge every 12 year old you can find, and break their legs to stop them beating you.

5. Zeewolf says:

“That idea was to copy a game called Artillery, but to put worms™ in it.”

That’s pretty unfair. A bit like saying “That idea was to copy a game called Nethack, but to put dwarfs in it” about Dwarf Fortress.

6. Oozo says:

To be fair, the concrete donkey was a fresh idea in 1937.
    (And hey, I admit it: It’s not Bomberman, but still one of the games that we play often on retro game nights. Come to think of it, I probably still would play Artillery Duel on my C64, too, had I not sold it many moons ago…)

7. Merus says:

My sarcastometer is off the charts, but damn if there’s one thing I’m good for it’s Worms™ except I’m doing something other than shooting the other guys.

8. MonkeyMonster says:

I remember mining/creatuing tunnel networks with uzi’s back in 1285

9. Mr_Hands says:

I still have some ill-conceived, unreasonable love for Worms™.

I loved the original. I loved Armageddon. I even played the shit out of Worms™ 3D on the PS2.

I have not nearly spent enough time with Worms™ Reloaded, alas. :(

10. OptionalJoystick says:

I think I discovered Worms™ in this 1938 edition of Bad Influence. Good times.
    I can’t imagine I’ll play the demo for this as much as for that, mind.

• Shazbut says:

I also discovered it from that episode. Ahhh Bad Influence…to think it used to pull in audiences of 6 million even back then when gaming was relatively niche. Now everyone and their dog plays the bloody things and there’s still no decent gaming shows on the telly. What is wrong with these people? Don’t they want money?

11. Rii says:

So there are actual game designers left at Team 17 after all?

There’s so much that could be done with vanilla Worms and yet when they’re not repackaging Worms™ 2 for the nth time they’re doing loopy shit like this that could be fun but probably won’t be.

12. Donkeyfumbler says:

Well, I love Worms™ and I love mini-golf games (like Super Stickman Golf on the IPad and Planet Minigolf on the PS3), but I have so far yet to find a decent mini-golf game on the PC so if this works, I’m all for it.

13. stahlwerk says:

I feel compelled to state that the original Worms™ (plus Reinforcements) wasn’t bad at all.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, although personally I put Worms 2 as the highpoint—if you can get it to run. You lost the ability to make custom maps as pictures (great tricks like single-pixel starfield maps that meant sniping matches where movement was watery death, or single-pixel-wide crosshatching that caused the collision handling to always push worms upward when moving left or right, so if you want to get back down the mesh you have to dig), but gained the ability to tweak every last thing in great detail, so you could create a weapon profile where bazookas have a huge blast radius but do tiny damage or such. And it had the new vector graphics and rising-water overtime and better airstrike control and all the other little improvements.

All downhill since Armageddon. And they took the videos out. :(

• Kefren says:

The original Worms + Reinforcements was my favourite PC version too. I preferred the graphics to the chunky cartoon versions that followed.

• Bill_Wiskins says:

It is a sad fact that Worms 2 was the pinnacle of all worms-based gaming. It had enough depth for complicated strategies (sort of) without all the silly looks-a-bit-different-but-does-basically-the-same-thing-with-a-different-hilarious-sound-effect-slash-graphic of Armageddon and without the ridiculous butchering of those simple controls that happened on later downloadable console disasters. Also, ninja ropes that aren’t Worms 2 ninja ropes are not ninja ropes.

• Bhazor says:

… and the video ends with a crash to the desktop. Classic worms.

• CMaster says:

Worms™ 2 was both fantastic to play, and massivley customizable, which led to you being able to play teh game as you wanted.

• PoLLeNSKi says:

Synthtastic but telling a harrowing story of revenge and worms. This is what easter eggs hidden in the early days of CD-ROM games used to be like kids :)

14. Lambchops says:

Worms™ series is responsible for a lot of happy gaming times. The franchise may well have been over milked but that doesn’t sour its memory into some sort of gloopy cheese™

15. zoombapup says:

I’m glad to see T17 still working. But man, I got bored of working on Worms and I can’t help but feel that we had already flogged the horse’s rotting corpse when I left after W3D.

Hey ho though. I’m thinking that 2D golf might actually be a sound idea in a worms based level. I mean, its got a lot of that “I might make this impossibly great shot, or I might make a complete balls up of it” feeling that made the 2D worms so good.

The fact is, Team17 wouldnt exist at all without worms. Probably wouldnt exist without milking worms, no matter how slimy that feels.

I have fond memories working there. So I wish em all the best.

16. Magnetude says:

Ok, so what’s with all the Worms (TM) business? I’m a relatively new reader and I fear I’m missing an excellent joke.
    Or is this when I find out you’ve rigged the comments to add the TM automatically?

Edit. No, no it isn’t.

17. Echo Black says:

Sounds like annelid good time.

18. Dana says:

Oh Team 17, how about Alien Breed Tower Assault remake ?

19. JoeFX69 says:

As most Reloaded owners would agree, its hard to stomach an announcement like this.

I actually started writing an essay on Team17′s appalling handling of the Worms IP, and the utter retardness (I honestly cant think of a more appropriate term) of their researchers, developers and most significantly the numpties controlling the whole mess that is T17, but gave up on it a while a go because I just didnt want to think about it anymore…..

Looks like I’ll have to finish it now

20. Phasma Felis says:

I thought: “Surely there haven’t been that many Worms games?”

Wikipedia showed me how wrong I was.

Not only have there been more than 20 official games, but Crazy Golf isn’t even the first golf-themed one. (The first was a 2004 cellphone game, so you can imagine what a vast audience it sold to.)

21. Oasx says:

Back in the Amiga days, Team 17 were what companies like Valve or Blizzard are today.

It is so depressing to see them stuck in the same rut

22. armaankhan says:

I was never much a fan of Worms, but I do love me some side-scrolling golf. In fact, I was actually wondering if there was a side-scrolling golf game for Windows just a few minutes before seeing this article. Can’t wait!

23. Shazbut says:

For all those wondering, Zany Golf, the 1988 Amiga classic, is still a freaking dope piece of entertainment as I discovered last week. Dig it out and play it, I implore you.

EDIT: And the music is brilliant

24. MD says:

Snark all you want, Johnny Walker, I’m more interested in this than in the last several hundred game announcements you’ve posted about. Allow me my brazenly bonkers hilarious eighteen-hole high jinks, and I’ll allow you your intellectually exhausting hidden-object games and salty tears.

25. Saul says:

I think this could be rather fun. That aside – did anyone ever play Fuzzy’s World of Miniature Space Golf? Fun times.

26. Fartango says:

The best modern worms game is Worms:Open Warfare 2 for the DS and it’s not made by Team 17, its made by the totally awesome Two Tribes. After buying and playing that game I have since supported every new Two Tribes game (Toki Tori, Rush) and have not been disappointed!

When Worms Reloaded came around, I preordered it along with several friends. It was and is a horrible broken game. I will never forgive the terrible state of the game, the horrible frustration and dismay that I experienced attempting to play Worms Reloaded. After the product and support I received I will NEVER support another Team 17 game and I will endeavor to encourage the same behavior in others.

27. jiminitaur says:

1) Worms Golf has already been a game, so this isn’t exactly an original idea, despite the Team 17 spokesman acting like it just came out of left field. The original is one of 2 actually awesome Java ME games to be released (the other being Doom RPG).

2) Regardless of how much I loved the original Worms Golf, the horrible state of customization in Reloaded disappointed me enough that I won’t be paying for another title of theirs for some time. Not to say I won’t play it, but you can guarantee it won’t be payed for.

Comment on this story