Fantasy Publisher Announcement League

By Jim Rossignol on August 16th, 2011 at 2:15 pm.

That's the actual box art for Dark Sceptre 2.
It is, as you may have noticed, Gamescom this week. There probably won’t be many truly breath-taking surprise announcements, not least because the unblinking eye of the internet usually spots these things before they officially happen, but one or two things of great might just get revealed… We should not tease, though, because what this post is about is asking you what you’d like to be announced this week. It could be anything, but it must be a surprise. Don’t say Half-Life 3, and don’t be boring. Is it a new IP? A turn-based FPS? An inside-out simulator? A sequel to a turn-based RPG from 1986? What? If anything at all could be announced this week, what would you have it be?

I even have a special prize for the most entertaining suggestion, so get fantasizing! (The title image was Gillen’s suggestion. Not bad. Personally I am hoping that Excalibur will announce of a English port of that classic German simulation title, Sitting Alone In A Room Blogging About Games Simulator.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Skeletor68 says:

Can I be the first to say Dungeon Keeper 3? DK never die!.

2. Anthile says:

Wheel of Time 2. There, I said it.

3. Alexander Norris says:

Mirror’s Edge 2! With a release date of “next week,” preferably.

Also, the inevitable “Half-Life: Episode Three” goes here.

4. Dawngreeter says:

Anything, absolutely anything about World of Darkness MMO. That won’t happen, though, because the Grand Masquerade is in September and they’ll do all their announcing and reveals there.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It will have a cash shop with sexy vampire clothes. There, announcement done.

I’d love to see CCP/WW do more with the IP they have. How many video games out there are anything like Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, or Hunter? Either edition. I can’t think of a better setting to license out than the WoDs.

• Dawngreeter says:

In regards to clothes, I just want to hear that crossdressing will be supported. And in the game.

5. Jams O'Donnell says:

A brand new X-Wing or Tie Fighter game. Hell, even a modern remake of either would be just dandy, please.

• Simon Hawthorne says:

+1 I genuinely want a new space simulator where my touch typing skills mean I can fully utilise the spaceships

Alternatively a new Jedi Knight game which plays a bit like Arkham Asylum.

• Dawngreeter says:

Touch typing? X-Wing?

Words of the Dead-style X-Wing remake!!!

• deadbob says:

Tie-ping of the dead?

• LuNatic says:

Better yet, give us all the old ones on GOG

6. MrThingy says:

Oddly enough, looking at that screeny, a new Mike Singleton game.

Something like a cross between Midwinter II: Flames of Freedom and Ashes of Empire. With 3D fractal terrain brought bang into the 21st century (like that Infinity Space game – http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=90&catid=4 ).

7. jon_hill987 says:

Unreal 3: Insert Subtitle Here

8. Ace Jon says:

Age of Empires IV, please.

9. NathaI3 says:

I was about to say HL3. Good job I reread the post.

Mirror’s Edge 2.

10. AndrewC says:

Being Nice To People: The Game

• Sian says:

You do realise that that game will inevitably be filled to the brim with trolls, don’t you? Which is good, because then the trolls might stay away from other games.

• AndrewC says:

God no, it would be single player. I hate people.

• Dawngreeter says:

My hat’s off to you, sir. Marvelously done.

• nubbuka says:

Maybe some LAN co-op in there?
      “May I take your hat sir?” Patrick style?

11. KlaxonOverdrive says:

I’d like them to announce a game based on the novel I haven’t written yet.

• field_studies says:

Wonderful. I volunteer to write the review of that game, predictably elucidating the ways in which it doesn’t live up to the spirit and nuanced characterization of the unwritten novel.

12. Zakkeh says:

Dwarf Fortress 1.0

I’m sure Toady has been holding back

13. Delta says:

I’m hoping for (and, frankly, expecting) the announcement/release date of the first piece of Portal 2 DLC. I can’t wait!

14. Nero says:

I hope for a new game in The Last Ninja series.

15. djbriandamage says:

Wing Commander Hero Mama: a rhythm-based cooking game in space where you must cook xenocrepes in time with Rob Zombie’s Dragula to defeat the Kilrathi menace!

16. Giggity says:

I’d piss myself if Neverhood 2 was announced.
    But never going to happen.

Something more realistic – my hopes are on Mirror’s Edge 2

17. Sian says:

“It is, as you may have noticed, Gamescom this week.”

Go on, rub my nose in it. It’s the country next door, a measly six hours drive from here and I have never been there. :(

Anyway: They’re going to reveal a Discworld MMO. Just you watch! Also: a digital version of either Warhammer 40k or Warhammer Fantasy, because Games Workshop finally listened to my pleas of a way to experience these games without having to assemble and paint any miniatures. There, now Warhammer fans may stone me, if they like.

18. Jockie says:

I’d like to see someone come up with a full budget adaptation of the A song of fire and ice series (preferably in RPG form). As much as I enjoy Bloodbowl, I’m not convinced Cyanide are the devs to do this. A hugely increased profile brought about by the TV series means this is probably not outside the realms of possibility.

This vague hope only arose because GRRM mentioned a visit to Bungie and a super secret project. Althought they have that deal for a new IP with Activision, it seems a little random for an author to be visiting a big name studio like that while on a book tour, if it’s not in some way related to his work. But maybe that’s just me clutching at straws.

19. Nallen says:

Freespace 3. Please? Just pleasey pleasey please?

20. DigitalRaven says:

The latest DLC for Fallout: New Vegas will include the entire setting and storyline of Fallout and Fallout 2, all done in the style of New Vegas.

Jewel Shock! In a surprising collaboration between Ken Levine and PopCap, the game after Bioshock Infinite will retain its philosophical roots, exploring the space around “casual” games and real games. Plus, all the shooting’s been replaced with games of Bejewelled.

21. thesisko says:

A turn-based sequel to a realtime game from 1986.

22. zeroskill says:

Quake 5: Arena :S

23. Laneford says:

“An Intellectual Vegetarian Velociraptor’s Lonely Struggle To Survive In A Modern Morally Bankrupt and Consumerist Society”

Published by Activision.

24. The Magic says:

Commander KEEN ReLoaded: Even KEENer

25. smallclaws says:

I can’t say “Grim Fandango 2″ featuring Manny Calavera, as I think his narrative should be left as-is. But definitely another game set in that universe following someone else’s journey across the underworld (in lieu of a train ticket), with that art style – doable even as a first-person adventure game. There are few games that were as unique in their art direction and writing as GF was, and I’d love to see more set in that particular universe.

26. Jockie says:

Duke Nukem Forever II – Release date TBC

27. MikoSquiz says:

Nippon Ichi abandoning the console market and moving their consistently brilliant turn-based strategy RPGs over to the PC because, well, duh?

28. coffeetable says:

Massive Entertainment’s Sacrifice II.

Single-handedly proves games criticism a sham after breaking all Metacritic records before selling a whole 14 copies.

(also freespace 3 tia)

29. Ammike says:

Little Big Adventure 3, please!

30. Steven Hutton says:

A sequel to a classic (and painfully under appreciated) turn based Tactics RPG ‘Ring of Red’ set in an alternate universe Japan in which Japan didn’t surrender after the dropping of the Nukes but was ultimately defeated in a messy land war.

Dungeon Keeper 3 (Skeletor you’re a mad genius).

A sequel to the mighty (and extremely fighty) RTS game Warzone 2100.

A sudden and unexpected announcement of CCPs plans for the World in Darkness MMO.

A new IP multiplayer timetravel fps in which you must journey through time to kill the grand parents of the other players and prevent them from being born before they do the same to you. As a consequence of this reckless behaviour each round takes place in an alternate timeline.

31. DanPryce says:

Evil Genius 2 would be really nice.

Also, Minecraft Lego.

32. yhancik says:

Ace Team securing the rights for a Ziggy Stardust game franchise.

33. frags says:

You people are mad… Homeworld 3 & Episode 3

34. 4026 says:

Any or all of:
    Battlezone 3
    X-wing vs TIE Fighter 2
    Freelancer 2

• Gramarye says:

I registered just to say Freelancer. I want a good space muckety-muck.

• Durkonkell says:

Gods, yes, Freelancer 2! Although of course MS closed down the studio responsible for the first one.

Freelancer remains the only space game that I am aware of to have unique hand-crafted systems, each with their own personalities, stations and planets (that you could land on!). The demo gave you one star system. One! And I spent more time there than in the entire first sector of Dark Star 1 or in the X universe in total (and there was a hell of a lot more to do there too). Exploring was actually worthwhile – there were so many fantastic and beautiful places to find, and secret things placed there by the developers. Jumpholes and strange inactive gates in the middle of nebulae. Shipwrecks with mysterious and powerful experimental weapons. That heavily guarded minefield in the Manhatten system! There were rumours about what was at the centre, but the Navy guarded the secret fanatically.

Conversely, DS1 and the X games suffer badly from cut-and-paste generic star systems. DS1 was the worst for this, with systems all having absolutely identical layouts – trading station ahead, jump gate behind and an asteroid field on one side and debris field on the other. At the end of the game, you get a jump drive that lets you go to any star system in the game. There was no point. They’re all the same…

So. Microsoft! I think you still hold the rights to this. Make it good and I’ll probably even forgive you for GFWL! Not necessarily for dissolving Digital Anvil though. You’d have to make it better than the original AND moddable for that.

I’ll see you in space.

• Nick says:

“Freelancer remains the only space game that I am aware of to have unique hand-crafted systems, each with their own personalities, stations and planets (that you could land on!)”

Privateer (number 1). Now you are aware of two, go forth and aquire it from GoG, for it is good.

• Durkonkell says:

Tooooooooo the GoG!

(obligatory “Thnick”)

35. Jams O'Donnell says:

Sequels wot need to ‘appen:

Ultima X
    Syndicate 2
    Cannon Fodder 3
    No One Lives Forever 3
    Elite 4
    Midwinter 3

36. The_B says:

John Walker’s Satirical Scramble! – Playing as RPS Celebrity John Walker YOU must post a hot topic news story on RPS that both confuses and perplexes as many internet commentators as possible, with unlockables for every commentator who can’t tell if you’re being serious or not. Bonus points are awarded for Angry Internet Men campaigns that are started against you or boycotts against the product you’re mentioning. Featuring achievements, leaderboards and in the future – DLC!

(WARNING: John Walker’s Satirical Scramble features the ALL NEW Botherer DRM which means you must not only keep a constant internet connection to play the game, but every time you lose internet connection spambots will come and bring your scores down and change your leaderboard name to ” is a smelly poopy head!”)

37. thepaleking says:

Crusader: No Mercy.

38. Commander Gun says:

Well, i actually thought of this today. In the nineties, i used to play some pinball games like Ultra 3d pinball, pinball fantasies, etc.
    Would be so cool if, with technology of today, a new pinball game would be released :)

• Gothnak says:

Look up ‘Virtual pinball’ and once you have installed all the complex files to get it to run, you’ll have around 1-200 pinball machines to play on your PC.

39. dotBrain says:

Oddly enough I have a list of my top 10 imaginary games (aka. the List of Shattered Hopes & Dreams.) ready at hand!

1. The Legend of Kyrandia Book 4 : Zanthia & Malcolm Save Kyrandia
    2. Advent Rising 2
    3. Wavelength (Frequency 3 / Amplitude 2)
    4. Mario Golf : Waluigii Open
    5. Omikron 2 : Nomaddier Soul
    6. Little Big Adventure 3 : Twinsen’s Voyage (good call Ammike!)
    7. Psychonauts 2 : The Milkman Gets Therapy
    8. Grim Fandango 2
    9. Mark of Kri 3
    10. Half-Life 2 : Lamarr’s Big Adventure

I think Mass Effect : Galaxy Golf should be on there, too.

40. Dariune says:

Well i want someone to release my fave idea for a game.

Small busted ship full of colonists crash land on an alien world and in true X-Com style (Or UFO AfterLight perhaps) you get to choose a few people who are awakened from deep sleep to begin the colony. You research better stuff, as you research better habitat you can awaken more people.

Aliens already live there and you have to choose whether to get on with them, invade them or be invaded by them. Other aliens decide to invade the planet half way through etc etc. You get the idea.

Other than that (As no one will EVER make that game) i would like a proper sequel to BG2 (preferably not made by Bioware)

An updated game similar to Albion. (Google it, it was fantastic)

And lastly, news of a sudden impending fan interest in decent old school RPG’s where all of a sudden games developers big and small unite under the one mighty banner of pleasing said fans and so a host of original, complex, deep RPG’s emerge with relatively high production values each coming with a free cloth map and two paid for expansions and no DLC’s.

I dont ask for much …

41. Klydefrog says:

Broken Sword 5? A good one this time?
    Also The Ship 2 or a game that’s similar but isn’t AC: Brotherhood multiplayer. It should also be in a huge open world (maybe even an MMO) with permadeath, randomly generated characters and a day/night cycle and dynamic weather which means you have to plan your assassinations really carefully to get around all of these factors as well as using these factors to avoid assassination yourself.

42. Flukie says:

Star Wars – Jedi Knight 4

Developed by Raven Games with full mod support on idTech 5

43. Binary77 says:

I’d love to see a remake of the Amiga classic Moonstone, with a nice mix of RPG & visceral, third person ‘hack & slash’ gameplay. But not have it crash every single time you play it, like the original did.

And my god, please keep the awesome decapitation move against the other knights.

Not that i expect it to ever happen though…but i can dream!

44. Tei says:

- Red Dead Redention for PC.
    - New games for: Dungeon Keeper, Populous, Magic Carpet.
    - Double Fine “Trenches” game for PC.
    - A GTA like “Judge Dreed”

45. Giggity says:

also, Cyan inc reborn & Myst 6.

46. Jim Rossignol says:

Relatedly, while we are nerd-skying, I still think a 40k epic-scale strategy game would be ideal. Played at a Total War sort of whole-units level, with titans waddling about under your command.

• Screwie says:

Nice. Although I’d just as much like to see Fantasy Battle:Total War as well.

• Dariune says:

I could not agree more. Ive wanted a game like that for a long time.

• pakoito says:

You mean Dominions 3?

• Jams O'Donnell says:

Ooh, yes please. Get some titans stomping around, and the lovely over the top huge tanks.

Come to think of it, there’s aprobably a decent argument to be made for more GW “Specialist Games” to have new life breathed into them by turning them into video games, like Blood Bowl. Necromunda would make a lovely turn-based tactics/strategy game, for example.

• smallclaws says:

I’d much rather have a 40k strategy title that was actually turn based – all the fun of a normal 40k game, but without the set-up and the crazy expense of kitting out a Titan-equipped army. Surprised it’s not been done yet (in a modern engine, at least, I think there might be a project from years ago that tried to or maybe even did make it happen).

• Unaco says:

Final Liberation 2?

• BathroomCitizen says:

Didn’t Relic say that Dawn of War 3 would be much epic-er in scale than anything they already did?

edit: oh, they even said that they’ve prepared a cool announcement for Gamescom :)

47. Ronwe says:

An Amnesia/Penumbra-esque first-person Zork game. With the option to play as a Grue in multiplayer.

48. Srekel says:

I would LOOOVE to see a sequel to Interstate ’76, or a game in the same genre, because I love that game and there hasn’t been anything quite like it. Or has there? If so LET ME KNOW!

(oh and I didn’t like I’82)

49. egg651 says:

Jet Set Radio 2. That would actually make me turn on my consoletoy…

PC wise, Freelancer 2 would make me cry tears of joy; alas it will never happen.. :’(