Gamescom: Dead Rising 2′s Off The Record

By John Walker on August 16th, 2011 at 11:15 am.

Sword or dildo: YOU DECIDE

The return of Frank West in Dead Rising 2 standalone spin-off Off The Record offers a reinvention of the splendid Dead Rising 2, but from another perspective. And also offers Capcom a chance to put out more of their extremely weird, and rather brilliant, trailers for the game. This one’s a guide to photography! Of sorts. You can see it below.

Clearly the photography nonsense is in reference to the reintroduction of Prestige Points earned by taking great photographs.

The game comes out in the middle of October, and promises lots of updates and improvements to the engine that ran the original sequel (if you will).

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. LGM says:

I’m down for this game BUT!.. Is it GFWL again? Say it ain’t so, Viewtiful Joe.

• thepaleking says:

I didn’t have any issues with the GFWL in DR2. In fact, the co-op worked perfectly, better than many games without GFWL.

• YeOldeSnake says:

Well , there wasnt a server list in which you could coop with random people.
      Plus , GFWL really slowed down the game.

• PoulWrist says:

They had GFWL in it? Why, it must be because it’s hardly noticable that I don’t recall, even after the 40 or so hours I played DR2.

• Sian says:

Yes, it’s hardly noticeable – if you don’t use it. But as soon as you want to invite a friend, you’ll notice the extremely clunky interface. At least it was that way when I last played Chaos Rising. To me, GfWL doesn’t add anything that couldn’t be programmed directly into any game, and it’s really badly designed.

• daf says:

@thepaleking you got lucky, friend of mine gifted me this game just to play in coop we connected once and then, never again, after a few days of trying everything we could think of we both gave up and it will likely sit in my unfinished game pile forever :(

2. Prime says:

Wait…

Dead Rising 2…rises again? Ahma confuuused.

3. Armante says:

haha that was great :)

4. Kaira- says:

I wonder, has he covered any more wars, ya’ know?

5. Khemm says:

Dead Rising 2 was a huge surprise for me. I still don’t know why I decided to buy it on release. I knew it was a “love it or hate it” kind of game and that it had zombies in it – nothing else. The quality of Capcom’s recent PC releases might have been a factor, suffice it to say, I bought it day one – best decision I’ve made in regard to my purchases in a while. LOVE this game, will probably buy Off The Record, too.

6. Renfield says:

What the world needs is a Dead Rising 2 / DR2: Off The Record bundle.

7. Mithrandir0x says:

I find “sworldo” a suitable sword…

8. Jhoosier says:

I dismissed DR2 at first, but it looks like it might have some potential. After playing Just Cause 2, I found I quite enjoyed non-linear silly-fun games.

Comment on this story