It’s Time For No Time To Explain

By Lewie Procter on August 16th, 2011 at 10:25 am.

I’m in a bit of a hurry here, so I haven’t got long enough to go into detail about how No Time To Explain is the hot new indie platformer, you’re just going to have to look at the pretty moving pictures contained within this launch trailer:

Aside from featuring fights with big flying saucers and weird shark-squid things, No Time To Explain has a level editor (with about 200 user levels submitted during the beta alone), and will be getting a free update, adding a second episode, in December.

Cost of entry is $10 USD, and it’s available to buy from tinybuild.com right now, and they will be submitting it to “Steam and other distributors” within the next week.

The original Flash version is still available here, if you want to get a taste of how it plays. Hopefully they’ll put out a proper demo too.

, , , .

1. godgoo says:

I was going to write a clever comment but I ran out of time…

MonkeyMonster says:

hjogjksdfgjkhsdfsghf asertgfasdhlgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfasfdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddiooioertioweriotoot45er5645345

sorry a giant crab stole my keyboard midfight and I had to lay some slap down on it.

3. Createx says:

He is fighting Diggles. This has to be a good game.

4. _Jackalope_ says:

No time to explain? Gotta be a Space Quest IV reference.

5. The Sentinel says:

Clicked the link…

WOW. I’ve never had to block so much annoying ad content on a page in my life.

The game looks great, fantastic in fact, but no it’s too timing/reflexes based for me. I couldn’t even stand to finish the flash version, let alone drop money on a longer version of it.

The guy screaming did make me laugh, though. :)

Anthile says:

>hot new indie platformer

I think I would be more excited if we didn’t get two of those per week.

7. thepaleking says:

lul cthulu and sharks so randum XD!!!111 (upvote if u agree)

• DeathHamsterDude says:

What th . . . ahm . . . uh . . . noooooo? YouTube is that way! *points randomly*

• Solcry says:

I was about to say maybe he lost his way on Reddit – but Redditor’s are usually smarter then that. YouTube makes much more sense.

• :ghiacciato says:

“smarter then that”. :smug:

Anyways, I can only hope he was joking.

• Wulf says:

I’ve seen this fellow post before so I’m pretty sure it’s satire based upon the mindset of the game itself, potentially mocking its primary demographic.

8. Zarunil says:

This looks to contain a good dose of awesome.

9. Tams80 says:

Well; is it worth getting?

• Author X says:

The game, in theory, is great. I’d wait a week or two, though. It released lacking a lot of polish (I’m wondering if some of the user-submitted levels weren’t playtested before being put in the game and released?), and a couple hours after it was released, there was a new version to fix bugs, including a game-breaking one for W7 64-bit.

I still encountered more minor bugs when I played the fixed game, but when it’s not buggy (and when you’re not on the bottom of the screen, making it extremely difficult to aim below yourself) it’s a lot of fun, and the humor, music and voice acting, and visual designs are great (aside from the tendency to let you move out of the intended area for a level and see the art just *stop* at the edge).

I’m glad I funded it, but I’m going to wait to play it again until there’s another patch that polishes it some more and gives it an actual full-screen mode (the first patch said it added fullscreen, but it just let you maximize the window, which means you can still click the start menu or title bar when frantically trying to fire below or above yourself – it also makes the ugly level edge problem worse when on widescreen because you see it without leaving the intended area).

Anyway, despite the tl;dr about the game I just typed up, I am also required – per the associate meme – to say that I’d like to explain more but THERE’S NO TIME.

TheTourist314 says:

I agree completely with Author X. Also, the image isn’t the official poster for the game, it was the runner-up! The official poster is…

10. Ezhar says:

Sharktopus!

11. ChainsawCharlie says:

SMB of 2011?
    This was actually the first game I was a kickstarter. Caved in because of the music.

12. JFS says:

They want me to pay German VAT for an American game, downloaded from an American server and paid for in Dollar. Ha. Ha. No.

13. Metonymy says:

The “This Build” fanfare at the end is lifted directly from Top Gear 1, track 1.

14. yurusei says:

I’m me from the future, no time to explain, YOU MUST BUY THISGAMEOHMYGAWDITHURTSARGHMYSPLEEEEN

15. Shadowcat says:

What DRM (if any) is there if I buy it direct from the developers?

• Author X says:

As far as I can tell (having gotten it as a Kickstarter backer), none what-so-ever. It’s an EXE, you double-click on it, you play the game.

16. Raj says:

seems to be the same concept as time fcuk combined with SMB.
    Which would be great if I was any good at twitch platformers.

17. Chizu says:

I remember seeing the Kickstarter (or something like that) page for this, and thinking it looked kinda awesome.

I hope steam accept it for sale~
    Otherwise I shall get it direct from them.

gnodab says:

“I’m in a bit of a hurry here, so I haven’t got long enough to go into detail about how No Time To Explain is the hot new indie platformer”

I can’t belive you didn’t go for “I’ve not time to explain No Time To Explain….”

Aside from that, I really like the trailer and sound etc. but the gunjumpingcontroles are so atrocious

19. Baconberries says:

So… someone made a Squidbillies game?