Koboldy: Kingdoms of Amalur Due Feb 2012

By Jim Rossignol on August 16th, 2011 at 8:25 pm.

Kobolds vs Wizards, yesterday.
38 Studios’ fantasy RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will be swooshing its magical weapons in our direction on Feb 7th 2012, according to today’s announcements from its publisher, Electronic Arts. What does that mean? Well, it means ‘epic’ fantasy action, much of which will involve hitting monsters in the face with the aforementioned tools of chopping. 38′s bossman Curt Schilling apparently claims that the game will be an experience half way between God Of War and Oblivion. That sounds like quite the marriage.

I can also confirm that it has kobolds in, because they’re picture above. A trailer, meanwhile, is below.

, , .

1. westyfield says:

Kobold.

• Wulf says:

I prefer gnolls, myself.

And Fippy Darkpaw the 4th was an absolutely incredible gnoll.

2. Demiath says:

Wow….as in “World of Warcraft”, that is. Seems really generic, but if the action RPG controls are tactile enough it could still be fun to play.

lasikbear says:

I feel like the ‘looks like WoW’ comment in reference to most games, has come to mean ‘Has a colour palette that includes colours’

This is opposed to most ‘doesn’t look that much like WoW’ games that have a colour palette that includes one-two colours and one-two of grey/black/brown/sepia. Not to say that this game looks particularly unique in its setting/design.

• TheGameSquid says:

Check out 0:52 in the video. If that gnome wasn’t copied directly from WoW, I don’t know what is…

• Wulf says:

I think it’s more ‘has colours and is either not at all imaginative/inventive or any creativity it does show is completely ripped off of other things.’ This does seem to have that air about it. But it’s more ‘colours == imagination’ when that’s not at all the case. You can have an incredibly colourful thing and make it the most mind-numbingly boring thing in existence, one that isn’t at all fantastic and doesn’t bother to challenge any fantasy paradigms. From what I’ve read of its lore (research, hooray!), it definitely seems like it falls into the ‘dull’ category.

And yes, the gnomes are pretty much WoW. Check out their media on their site. You can do little people in interesting ways, you can give them big, floppy ears, giant eyes, and shark teeth, and you can make them mildly reptilian, you can also give them a religion surrounding mathemagic. Yes, I’m talking about the asura.

• Grygus says:

Gnomes looked like that in Baldur’s Gate; I think it’s a very old standard that has nothing to do with WoW.

• Gadriel says:

Implying that something filled with fantasy tropes “copied WoW” is implying that WoW invented those tropes, which is patently false. The Warcraft universe was always a generic amalgam of fantasy themes from many other things. Someone else trying to do the same thing might not be terribly original, but saying “lol copying WoW” isn’t all that useful either.

3. Jockie says:

It looks a bit generic and bland for me as a fantasy setting, although there are some hilariously over the top RSC style English accents on show. Still it’s hard to trailer RPGs effectively and the combat looks quite pretty.

4. Arglebargle says:

Curt Schilling singlehandedly saved Advanced Squad Leader. Admirable obsession! Makes me willing to look at any other game his groups are associated with.

And there are other things interesting about Reckoning:
    Upside: Lead dude from Morrowind!
    Downside: Also lead dude from Oblivion….

• woodsey says:

Oh yeah, that Oblivion game was just abysmal.

• Arglebargle says:

There are a decent body of people who feel just that.

Have you heard about the mudcrabs?

Lots of hype, undelivered. Bad dev decisions. Etc. I voted with my wallet, haven’t bought a Bethesda game since Oblivion. That argument could go on all week, but not completely relevant to Reckoning.

Reckoning’s approach to character class/skills is kind of interesting. You open up skills/classes based on how you play. I kinda like that.

5. Bart Stewart says:

“the game will be an experience half way between God Of War and Oblivion”

So, a gory cover-based Oblivion on rails, then. And that will sell people who appreciate the strengths of either game how?

Actually, I’ll probably pick this one up. It’s just an odd thing to say — while I’m confident that there are gamers who really liked both Gears and Oblivion, are they really a sizable majority?

[Edit: Dear Bart: the man said, "God of War," not "Gears of War." Next time read more carefully before commenting, please.

Thank you.]

6. pakoito says:

There’s an 18 minute footage of the game done by G4 or some other guys…looking good for me.

7. DuckSauce says:

This video doesn’t excite me as much as the one that did originally, which was in this post:

In this video it looks like the gameplay is similar to MMORPGs, while it’s really not and that’s the part I like, so I think this video doesn’t really do the game justice imo.

Still, woo! Release date!

8. FakeAssName says:

I cocks an eyebrow because this really looks like it should be titled “WoF” (World of Fable).

… but I can’t really figure out if that’s a bad thing or a good thing.

• Wulf says:

I’d take that as a bad thing. Because it’s the Saturday Morning Fantasy Cartoon Game (WoW) which stole many of my friends by being addictive on some bizarre psychological level (and being designed to be so) and Fable, a game which has only scratched the surface of being interesting. The only thing about Fable that made me even raise an eyebrow in surprise was the Thief-like asylum in Fable III, but then I realised that they were just directly ripping off Thief, strike for strike, in every possible way. Then my momentary surprise turned to disappointment.

So it’s going to be as mature as an average ’90s cartoon and as inventive as Fable. Do you smell that doom and failure? I do.

9. FalseMyrmidon says:

I met the guy writing the main story quest for this at Dragoncon last year. Just my uninteresting slightly related personal anecdote.

10. Joof says:

Curt Schilling, as in the pitcher? Huh.

• Arglebargle says:

That’s the one. Played EQ, so I guess he probably qualifies as an old timer…..

11. Wulf says:

Bleh. Looks incredibly generic. And another game where the races are about as inventive as swapping skin colours and changing heights. If I wanted that then I’d play this little thing called reality. Fantasy games really need to be more… hm, I don’t know… tch, what would you say? Fantastic? Yes. Fantastic. Fantasy games need to be more fantastic.

• Arglebargle says:

No they don’t. I’d rate internal consistency much higher than off the wall fantasy.

Hmn, there’s room for low fantasy and high fantasy stuff. Old comfy shoes done well and wild fits of footwear can co-exist.

I did end up buying Zeno Clash just because the ACE team had gone so far out, so well. Room for a wide range of approaches. Reckoning’s innovation just might not be in Gnomes with shark teeth. Though that is an image….

• Gundrea says:

I’m throwing my hat in with Wulf, or on Wulf, however that works.

Remember Sacrifice? Now there was oddball fantastic fantasy with pretty colours and a weird aesthetic that worked. In Sacrifice there was nothing so done-to-death as humans-elves-dwarves.

12. Kryopsis says:

Big Huge Games, what happened to you?!

13. Veret says:

Did I hear a Claudia Black? I’m fairly certain I did. So that’s something.

14. DOLBYdigital says:

I guess I’m the odd ball out but I personally have been dying for an RPG game that has fast/fluid fighting with good animations, hit detection and reactions from enemies. If they can throw in some online co-op and the fighting is really good then I will be very very happy. So far the only thing close to my desire is Demon Souls which was good but not as easy to co-op as I would like.

Good luck Kurt… I’m rooting for you although it seems many are not :(

• BeamSplashX says:

I’m with you on that, though I can take or leave multiplayer. My perfect game is something like a single-character Might & Magic VI-IX mixed with Devil May Cry with the oomph of Street Fighter IV’s impacts. I need a PS3 and Demon’s Souls, STAT.