Space Pirates And Zombies Out, V1.0 Demo

By Jim Rossignol on August 16th, 2011 at 12:00 pm.

The 2D space shooter with RPG bits, Space Pirates And Zombies, has now emerged from its beta, blinking into the atomic light of day. You might recall that perfidious Mr Smith wrote about the game rather favourably, but you don’t have to take his words as representative because there’s also a v1.0 demo for you to play. That is all.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Mr_Hands says:

I am a fan of this game.

Then again, I ache longingly for Operation: Inner Space.

2. Gnoupi says:

Great game! Nice way to spend time for spaaaaaaaaaaaaace lovers.

(Well, at least from what I know from the latest beta version. Still waiting for Impulse to release the 1.0, or the “Steam-compatible” cd-key)

• Mr_Hands says:

Ugh. Same boat.

• Richie Shoemaker says:

Aye, I think SPAZ will be the last game I acquire via Impulse.

• Tei says:

I got this mail from then, after tryiing to reinstall the game (and it fails to reinstall).

Hello,

There is a known issue with this game right now and the team that handles games for release on Impulse is working as quickly as possible to fix this. Please be patient and we will let you know as soon as it is available.
      —————————————————————————–
      Thanks,
      Justin M.
      Impulse Technical Support

It still shows listed as “pre-order BETA”, so is not the 1.0 version.

Seems to be working on it.

• Diziet Sma says:

I browsed around the impulse forums looking for some hint on when it may take place. Reading the appalling threads about customer server on there since gamestop took over…. oh wow.

• Gnoupi says:

From what I understood of the story, developers wanted all people who bought the game to have a Steam key as well. It works for keys from GreenManGaming, BMT Micro, D2D…

But Impulse keys are not compatible with Steam format, they have too many digits. And developers realized that too late, and notified Impulse about it Sunday evening (Monday for us Europeans).
      So the people at Impulse are currently in the process of converting all the keys to a format which will be accepted by Steam. And most likely they will apply the new “registration key” to all the existing beta registrations, when switching them to full version.

That’s why Impulse doesn’t have yet the full version available for download, all is mostly blocked by this problem with cd-keys.

It will probably be fixed during the next 24hours, though, from what I understood.

• JFS says:

That’s great. I would love to have this on Steam as well, it’s the only game I have on Impulse (which I only downloaded because of S.P.A.Z.).

• Springy says:

My BMT Micro-bought key doesn’t work, so it’s not just Impulse with a problem (though that is where most of the woe is concentrated).

• MadTinkerer says:

There are a few other Impulse-exclusive games worth getting, especially GalCiv2. It would be nice if absolutely everything were on Steam, but at least Impulse isn’t Origin or GFWL.

That said, I worry that possible side-effects of Gamestop’s takeover may result in me not liking Impulse as much, but I’m willing to give them a little more time to settle things.

• Gnoupi says:

@Springy – in the process, they have to send all the keys they have already, to Steam. It may be in a second batch of keys, or maybe Steam didn’t integrate them all yet.

In doubt, I guess take it to Minmax’s support to be sure.

• Diving Duck says:

My Impulse key didn’t work… finally after much forum searching it seems I needed to play the game on impulse and then it generated a new key. Loaded up game, closed game (key did changed), bunged new key into steam… success ;o)

Have not played this since about 2 months after initial release… it has improved noticeably.

3. Zarunil says:

Got this on Steam last night after viewing the trailer. €15. Can’t wait to get home and give it a try!

4. povu says:

Featuring voice acting from TotalBiscuit. :P

• Jubaal says:

I thought it sounded like him! Is it actually him?

• Gnoupi says:

“TotalBiscuit takes another look at Space Pirates and Zombies, featuring his own voiceacting and a look at some of the endgame content and huge ships.”

Yes, it is.

• johnpeat says:

That opening bit he does is RIGHT up there with Men of War in terms of complete and total “inappropriate and unintentionally hilarious” content :)

It’s nice to see they’ve damped-down the chatter a bit from the BETA I tried (although the combination of dialogue AND tutorial is still too ‘talky’ IMO) – it’s not really my cuppa but listening to that ‘voice acting’ (I use that term loosely) still makes me smile…

• OpT1mUs says:

I was looking forward to this game, but TB voice acting… UGH

• Dominic White says:

There’s about 3-4 minutes of voice acting in the entire 20+ hour game. Even if you have personal problems with the guy, don’t be a big baby.

5. Ginger Yellow says:

How does this run on low powered laptops? SPaZ seems like the sort of game that would be great for playing while travelling, but I don’t know if it’ll run on mine. I’ve got an AMD Fusion (Zacate) one, so the GPU is decentish (it can run Portal 2), but the CPU is not so hot, basically a middle-to-top end Atom.

• Gnoupi says:

It might take a while on loading screens, but it will probably be fine. Anyway, you have a demo to check yourself, so enjoy!

6. Jubaal says:

I played the demo yesterday and bought it almost straight away. It just kinda feels fun!

7. Megadyptes says:

Spazzy spaz spaz spaz!

8. JayTee says:

Have they ‘fixed’ end-game balance yet?

I’d put spoilers, but I’ll avoid them. Last time I played I went a heavy Beam/Armour build, which worked fine up till the last Chapter. Then was absolutely useless so I got shredded in any major encounter, and had to complete missions by loading up the cheapest ship I could make, stealthing it up, and sneaking my way around the mission objectives. Unless it was a fighting mission, then I was just screwed.

So I stopped playing, which was a shame as I loved that game right up until the last Chapter.

9. Reefpirate says:

From what I’ve followed, this v1.0 has MUCH and LOTS of changes from the last released beta build… So thinks like end-game balance and performance have most likely significantly improved. I haven’t tried 1.0 yet because I am yet another unsatisfied Impulse customer… But I’m psyched!

10. wcanyon says:

I thought I’d love this game. Bought it, played about 8 hours. Got bored. Hated how I had to buy things in 2-3 places to “unlock” them somehow. Who would buy half of a blueprint for a weapon?! Plus it felt like I spent a ton of time grinding for rez instead of fighting. Honestly disappointed that I spent $15 on this, when shortly after I spent $5 on Jagged Alliance and loved it.