The Secret World Release Date: April 2012

By John Walker on August 16th, 2011 at 3:38 pm.

Ragnar when he gets back to the office.

Oopsie – Funcom’s PR machine has accidentally spat out the big news The Secret World project lead Ragnar Tørnquist was about to announce at Gamescom. The release date will be April 2012, with the game’s beta registration beginning this month, on the 26th.

, , , , .

1. razgon says:

Man, I REALLY want this game to succeed. The idea and presentation looks awesome – and its just in time for me to be bored with The Old Republic (wow2 in space)!

• Sian says:

Word, my good sir, word. I have really high hopes for The Secret World.

• Mac says:

After over 2 years they still haven’t delivered pre-release promises in Age of Conan … even a fundamental like the siege warfare doesn’t work after this all time. No chance that I will get suckered in by this company again.

2. Mayjori says:

Meh, its funcom. /Keeps walking with barely a glance.

• mrbungle says:

But they did make the longest journey!

• ran93r says:

… and nine years after that came Conan.

That said, I would love for this to tick all the boxes.

• mrbungle says:

…and one of the lead designers of Longest Journey is working on the Secret World!

• UnravThreads says:

Ragnar is much more than just “one of the lead designers”. Without him, there’d be no Longest Journey.

BathroomCitizen says:

Wait, what?! They are going to release it sooner than 21th December 2012?

Guess THEY know something that WE don’t.

4. The Pink Ninja says:

*Crosses fingers*

5. JohnnyMaverik says:

Great, so does that mean they’ll start working on proper games again next year? DOES IT FUNCOM? Doesn’t make any sense, one of the best dev teams for narrative, and they start making bloody MMO’s. Waste.

I want the resolution to my cliffhanger Funcom =/

• Jake says:

HEY FUNCOM, ignore this guy.

The idea of an MMO with a great narrative is really exciting. The Secret World is easily my most anticipated upcoming game. I wonder how I can get in the beta.

• JohnnyMaverik says:

The idea of an MMO with a great story is preposterous. The only way it could be done is if the story really is about the world and not about the player characters, which to be fair looks like what Funcom are going for here, but even then, how does it end? Do the writers just keep writing for 5 or 6 years until they get bored or the players get bored and they turn all the servers off?

It’s the knowledge that somebody has already tread where you’re treading, killed the thing you’re killing, had the conversation you’re having, that make MMO’s a stale experience and mean a great single player, narrative driven developer like Funcom, should be wrapping up their excellent Longest Journey series, not making another MMO.

When this fails and they go bankrupts meaning they have to close down and can’t finish it, I’m guna be pissed.

• Jae Armstrong says:

My immediate thought when I saw this- “And then they’ll start TLJ 3?”

And I actually like the concept of this.

6. Tei says:

“April 2012″, adds the standard 6 months delay. Then another 6 months to include in the game all the features anounced in the box.
    Anyway It will be a great MMO. Funcom normally deliver less to what promise, but what delivers is awesome.

Lakshmi says:

Hmm April, I’ll be bored by TOR then and I do so like a Funcom MMO. (Well – Anarchy Online, not that Conan business…)

8. G915 says:

Ok, release this thing and then can I please have my TLJ/Dreamfall sequel?

9. utharda says:

I have high hopes. Also I’m hoping that the community won’t turn out to be a bag of dicks. I’m looking at you rift.

10. Brise Bonbons says:

That’s getting mighty close to the likely window for GW2′s launch. That fact alone strikes me as a major issue.

I dunno, I’ve been intrigued by what I’ve seen of Another World, but my reserves of time, energy, and good will for MMOs are severely depleted right now. Unless this game makes itself look very convenient and friendly towards casual players, I can’t see myself being swayed.

Well, best of luck to them, it seems like a really innovative attempt that deserves to do well. If I were them I’d just consider pushing that launch window back to stay well clear of GW2…

11. edededdd says: