AssRev Contains Stabbing, Falling & Duality

By Lewie Procter on August 17th, 2011 at 4:57 pm.

These Assassin’s Creed games are pretty popular huh? I’ve never got on with them particularly well to be honest, and as (to my knowledge) the only games journo out there who actually was an assassin in a past life, I think my opinion counts double. Still, who knows, perhaps Assassin’s Creed 4 (if they want me to stop coming up with silly abbreviations they should revert to numbers) could be the one that wins my affections. Certainly this latest trailer has got oodles of nicely choreographed man-stabbing, and what look like a few new ways to get from A to B. Here’s Ezio & Altair doing what they do:

The release date is November 15th 2011, so it’ll probably be out some time in March 2012.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Icarus says:

Jeez. I’m sold on the game anyway, but that trailer makes me want the game less simply because of that god-awful music.

2. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Yeah, the gameplay is great but the story–by the second game, at least–is such a mess that I never finished it.

Not PC-related at all, but I’ve wanted to point this out forever: Assassin’s Creed is almost identical in structure to the Sly Cooper series! Well, mostly to Sly 2, but still. The movement abilities, the over-reliance on pickpocketing, the repetition, the simple stealth mechanics, the emphasis on areas being tied to individual villains, and a very similar upgrade system are all shockingly similar. I’m not saying that Ubisoft ripped off Sucker Punch, but I sometimes feel like Charleton Heston at the end of Soylent Green, wondering how nobody else seems to notice or care.

Anyone else agree with me?

• Vinraith says:

the over-reliance on pickpocketing

Huh? I’ve played through three AC games and never pick pocketed anyone except a couple of times by accident (I just want to walk fast, stupid controller, not steal the pathetic amount of money this peasant is carrying).

• Mr Chug says:

I completely ignored pickpocketing until I did enough thief challenges in Ass Cred Bros that any thieves following me would pick the pockets of everyone they walked by. I took a bunch along on one of my treasure chest runs when I was trying to 100% the game and they made me way more money than the chests or their contents did.

• DrGonzo says:

Then you haven’t finished either AC2 or AC Brotherhood as you HAVE to pickpocket to advance the story. So you’re lying or you didn’t get very far.

• lokimotive says:

I only remember pickpocketing in those one or two missions that were basically, “hey you can pickpocket,” and perhaps one where it was basically, “hey remember when we told you you can pickpocket? Well you’ll have to do that here.” I certainly wouldn’t call it an over-reliance on it.

• Vinraith says:

@DrGonzo

So you’re lying or you didn’t get very far.

Having a bad night?

I finished 1 and 2, I don’t remember having done any pickpocketing. If I was required to for a quest I’m sure I did, but I never did so outside of those quests because it was pointless. Similarly, I’m in the middle of Brotherhood, and if I’ve had to pickpocket anyone I don’t recall it. I don’t remember every second of every game I’ve ever played, though, so I can’t rule it out. The point was that the game is by no means “over reliant” on pick pocketing. Do you actually mean to suggest otherwise?

• BeamSplashX says:

I thought it was a wob-wob-wobvious choice.

3. Josh04 says:

If anything, those environments looked less interesting than the Italian cities of AssCreed 2. Some mountaintop snow cliche? Eh.

• Vinraith says:

That’s the fortress from AC1 in winter, actually. As the original cinematic trailer made pretty clear, the intent is to tie AC2 back to AC1 in some ways. Most of the game, however, takes place in Constantinople/Istanbul.

4. something says:

I’ve only played AC2:Last Of The Numbers. It’s fun, if unchallenging, and the recreation of renaissance Italy is pretty neat. But the story has all the qualities of a soup made from the poo of a sick, adolescent bull.

5. Tei says:

Assasin Creed is like Windows.

“No, don’t use Windows 95, … is shit, use Windows 2000″.
    “Noo!, don’t use Windows 2000, …is shit, use Windows XP”
    “NOO!!, don’t use Windows XP, … is shit, use Windows 7″.

And so on.

The part that seems true, is that every version is better than the older one.

• Magnetude says:

Hah, you know that’s true. It’s one of the only series around that is universally considered better with every release. I feel like that used to be the norm for games – The Sequels Are Always Better. Wonder if they’ll fuck it up this time?

• Spider Jerusalem says:

I dunno. I still like the first one best of all.

• GTRichey says:

The problem with your analogy is that the actual fourth windows version in your progression should be Vista… which was universally reviled. This leads me to the conclusion that AssRev will in fact be no good. On the upside AC5 will make up for it.

• Xerian says:

Whereas Ass 6 will look as if it was designed for touch screens, and just look all apple-ish? Damn. Not looking forward to that.

6. Berzee says:

Instead of making me interested in Assassin’s Creed, I’ve just been reading Kill Methods from your society for the last ten minutes. =P

7. MiniMatt says:

Oooh, Durham eh? True story, picking up my brother one term I once pulled into the car park of HMP Durham because it looked like it must be the halls of residence.

Ironically, I expect there may have been an assassin or two housed there at the time. Thus providing a credible, if somewhat crowbarred, link a mere decade or so after the event.

8. Orija says:

I wonder if this guy was involved.

9. Skusey says:

I don’t think the mediocre dubstep added anything to that trailer.

10. Jesse L says:

Wow, I never noticed before that Ezio and Altair animate in exactly the same way! It’s as their life paths are parallels or something!

11. skyturnedred says:

Guess I should start thinking about picking up Brotherhood finally, as I just finished AC2 (only took a year!), so I might be ready for this game by Christmas 2012.

12. razgon says:

Annoying trailer – I love the series, and the previous trailers were pretty awesome. This just sucks.

13. HeavyStorm says:

They can make the best ever assassin game. After AC1 and Ubisoft DRM, I’m not touching it. Enough good games out there.

• skinlo says:

Your loss. Cutting of your nose to spite your face etc.

AC1 was good as well?

• Burning Man says:

With Desilets gone, I assumed AssCreed was done for. My fears were partly confirmed when ACB turned out to be a cash-in that added multiplayer and nothing else. Considering Ubi’s unwillingness to drop Ezio and MOVE ON ALREADY and previews showing off mechanics identical to the previous two games, it’s safe to assume this is more of a company milking a franchise for all it’s worth. I have rather low expectations of this game.

Summary: You’re probably not missing much.

• skinlo says:

Brotherhood was the best one yet imo. :) Somtimes more of the same isn’t a bad thing.

14. Highstorm says:

Image cap: “Got your nose!”

15. wodin says:

Never played the first. Hated the timed temples in the 2nd which ment I never finished it…they chenged it abit in brotherhood which I fully enjoyed….so in my eyes the series is getting better with each release…fingers crossed.

16. Arona Daal says:

I wish they would name their next title “Assassins Creed :Wind of Death”
    or maybe “Assassins Creed :Explorer of the Unholy”

Any other Ideas?

17. Eight Rooks says:

Holy balls, someone at Ubisoft likes Hecq? And to all the ignorant philistines who run away screaming at the merest hint of a sub bass, your loss. Gorgeous, gorgeous track from a horrendously under-rated musician. ‘Brostep’? Christ.

Oh, yes, the trailer was pretty good, too. Not as well edited as the Justice or Unkle ones, but much better than the Woodkid. Bring on the silly abbreviations, says I. Can’t wait for more AssWhatever.

• TheGameSquid says:

We don’t run at the hint of bass, we run at the hint of music being totally out of cue for the sake of trying to make a running murder-machine look even more “bad-ass” than he probably already seems to those ten year olds.

Plus, this is some of the most generic the genre has to offer.

18. BathroomCitizen says:

Ezio makes for a pretty good dancer.

19. db1331 says:

I got bored with the AC franchise about 8 hours into AC 2. When I first started playing it, all I could think about was how much an improvement it was over the first game. Then, after a few hours, it started suffering heavily from the #1 problem from the first game; it became too damn repetitive. By the time I got to the third city, I had no idea who I was assassinating or what they did to deserve my vengeance.

What AC needs is to allow you to incorporate your own style into your killing, like the Hitman games, instead of just walking up behind someone and stabbing them. I remember thinking in the first game, when you are sent to kill the fat guy who kills everyone at his party by serving them poisoned wine, how cool it would be to be able to switch out his cup of wine with a cup of the poisoned stuff, then sneak out quietly as he is (quite literally) served a taste of his own medicine.

20. fenriz says:

“a few new ways to get from A to B”

lol god forbid it be too much trouble off the developers. PRecious time taken from engine fistfucking

21. Boarnoah says:

Ezio using the sliding down the wire thing reminds me of David Jones from Project I.G.I =)

22. malkav11 says:

They’re not renumbering because Brotherhood and Revelations are both continuations of the story, characters and time period (more or less) of Assassin’s Creed II. More standalone (full priced) expansions than true sequels. In theory, whenever they actually make an Assassin’s Creed III (presumably after Revelations since they’ve said this is the last one starring Ezio Auditore), it will finally move to an entirely new setting and main character.

23. wererogue says:

I am curious as to whether Desmond actually *has* any female ancestors. Or maybe it’s just that none of them did anything remarkable?

Despite that, looking forward to this – I really enjoyed Brotherhood, enough to make me go back and suffer through Altaiir’s awful voice acting just to get a bit of backstory.

24. Iskariot says:

“Brotherhood was the best one yet imo.”
    I love the AC games. In many respects Brotherhood was the best. But…. It really lacked diversity of location. I liked traveling the countryside in AC1 and visiting different cities with different architectures in AC1 and AC2 both.
    What I really dislike in all AC games are the platform jump levels where you are forced to use certain awkward camera angles. Some of these levels were hugely irritating because the controls became a real irritating problem on the PC.

Comment on this story