Some Aliens: Colonial Marines Images

By Jim Rossignol on August 17th, 2011 at 9:21 am.

Morning all! Sega are showing Aliens: Colonial Marines at Gamescom, and have released some images for us. So while we wait for more information on what the game will actually contain to emerge, we can ponder the images they’ve released, below. All the images in this post can be clicked for full sized shots.

Makes me wonder exactly how it will go down. Looks like small, detailed action vignettes. Also face-huggers, eugh.

, , .

1. TsunamiWombat says:

It’s incredibly difficult to tell anything about a project from screenshots. But, what I see doesn’t make me hate it. So, there that.

2. CaspianRoach says:

Will it be the game where we play the most boring of the three races again?

• baby snot says:

Three races?

• Nick says:

Its not AvP, there are only two and its called Colonial Marines.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yeah, it is worth noting that this is not an AvP game.

Anthile says:

Yup, no dwarves and elves this time.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Don’t worry, you to be the Predator in Crysis.

• diebroken says:

“Will it be the game where we play the most boring of the three races again?”

“You secure that shit Hudson!”

• Rii says:

Kids these days…

• DarkFenix says:

Did you ever even play AvP multiplayer (or more particularly, AvP2, the better MP game by far)? Predators were boring as shite, by far the most out-of-place of the three races. Their effective weapons were only effective through being lame and stealth was useless against aliens and overpowered against humans. There’s a reason servers usually had humans vs aliens, because that matchup was the most fun.

• apollyonbob says:

I still remember playing AvP Gold. Staring at a tiny ticking screen that suddenly beeps, looking up in time to see a shadow flash from roof top to roof top in front of me… not there now … moving into the darkened facility – main power is down, so the only lights are the red emergencies – I realize that the only real available light source for me are flares … pop one, throw one down the hallway to my left … pop another, throw it down the hallway to my right – notice a darkened vent shaft in front of me … pop a third, toss it down the darkened vent shaft and it sticks to the head of the alien rushing toward me as it screams OH JESUS CHRIST.

And the Marines are the not fun race?

Different def’n of fun than me, I suppose.

3. Farcelet says:

I do hope I’ll have the comfort of floating waypoints and linearity to help me through this!

• Saldek says:

I wouldn’t worry. Any hardware that can run this can handle floating waypoints.

Sorry, but puns can be addictive :P

Anthile says:

I’m not quite sure what to think of this. Just about every sci-fi shooter ever has been inspired by the Alien franchise and now making an official game seems just late. Considering that is named “Aliens” and not “Alien”, I guess they go for a more action-y approach right from the start. That also means that most likely, there will be a monster in every cupboard. It’s difficult to do horror in a FPS because you play as a walking armory (see FEAR) so the developers have to either create a menacing atmosphere (see System Shock) or take away your guns (see Amnesia).
    I wonder how the developers will try to prevent any “seen it all” reactions or maybe they won’t and just rely on the license. Either way, I have my doubts this is going to be any more than a mediocre game.

• Triangulon says:

To be fair the stuff they say they’ve taken from Left4Dead will hopefully make it a cross between the pacing of that and the difficulty of Swat 4. With aliens.

Of course what they say and what they produce aint exactly ever been similar.

• DrGonzo says:

Swat 4 with aliens is exactly what I wanted out of this game. Essentially to recreate the welding the door scene, ohmygodTHEYREINTHECEILINGAAAAAAAAAAARGH

5. skyturnedred says:

1280×720 is hardly full size on my screen!

6. Aemony says:

“Gearbox Software are doing a brilliant job translating the thrill and horror that ALIENS stands for into an action-packed shooter experience with co-operative gameplay at its core.”

Thrill and horror together with co-operative gameplay rarely works. Doom 3, for example, becomes a fast-paced shooter without any kind of horror in it when played co-operative. Now this is a mod, of course, but the point is that the psychology horror experienced diminishes when sharing the experience with another person. The competitive nature of mankind takes priority over the “fake” horror in the experience. Had the horror actually been real the co-operative gameplay could actually work, but now, it will always be secondary in the thoughts of players.

When I’m playing any of the Left 4 Dead games alone I’m actually having quite the horrific experience, because the knowledge of being completely alone in a world were everything but three robots are out to kill me is quite heavy, so to speak. But when playing with friends or strangers online I’m quite competitive, rushing in advance merely to get the kill each time.

A way the co-operative gameplay might work is by forcing the participants to walk alone, so they are forced to experience the horror and thrill alone without the comfort of another. Think of levels designed with two paths instead of one, where both are equally important and relies upon the other, and the paths merges into one every now and then.

That is the only way I can see the co-operative gameplay work in a game highlighting the horror and thrill of the experience, and until I get a confirmation that this is the case with this game I’ll just keep on having doubts about this game as I did with F.3.A.R., another game where the co-operative nature of the gameplay undermined the horror the previous iterations in the series was known for.

• nubbuka says:

Actually I can image another way that co-operative mode can work with titles like these.
      Just as you said about rushing ahead in order to obtain the most kills / trying to just past through like though there are no fear factors can be fixed if there was a mechanism that will intentionally separate
      the rushing player from their partner(s).
      Such in a maze, those secret flipping walls, if you do have a rushing player he will be trapped alone and will have to find his own way out without relying on his fellow team member(s) to help him at all or until the very end of his path.
      I can imagine getting separated in the middle of a horror game from my team members to be quite frightening and will cause you to think before you act.

MajorManiac says:

Have you played Swat 4 co-op. This keeps the tension levels up as its a slow paced game. If anyone rushes ahead they’ll usually be dead within seconds.

Malibu Stacey says:

The problem there is L4D being too easy with a team of 4 players on the difficulty level you’re playing. Try “Expert” instead of “Advanced”. It’s a lot more fun when a game is challenge.

Daiv says:

System Shock 2 co-op.

The monkeys aren’t any less pants-wettingly scary when there’s two of you.

There is also the same amount of ammo to go around, so only one of you is likely to be able to shoot the mutants.

“Get behind me, it’s a midwife! Shit! There’s another over there! Start hacking that console while I hold them at the door, and you’d better be quick about it because five more shots and I’m down to the nearly-broken pistol…”

• Saldek says:

@MajorManiac

If the gameplay here is going to be anything similar to SWAT 4 I’ll be in heaven. A strangely hell-shaped heaven, but nonetheless.

amishmonster says:

Something about that last screenshot looks like a still from one of the movies, which is impressive.

I guess it’s not as striking when full-size, but still has great visual design.

8. Nallen says:

This has my please-be-good-o-meter at max.

But then so did the last AvP :(

9. Ultra Superior says:

And make it brighter! Shiny and colorful! Sell us all those great textures and alien models you have made!

Who likes shadows and darkness anyway ?

10. Armante says:

Seems like a straight pull from the set of Aliens. Which would be a good thing.

If those pulse-rifles sound like they did in the movie (and from the look they’re staying sorta faithful) colour me interested. Hope there’s a demo

• Moni says:

I think they’re doing straight pulls of set-pieces and dialogue too.

It always bothered me a bit when Blade Runner did it.

icedon says:

Probably going to be region locked anywhy. No reason to get excited …

Anthile says:

Also, you’re going to die in a couple of years anyway so why bother with anything at all? Man, life is hollow.

12. Nesetalis says:

mmm face huggers make me happy in the pants :D