The Actual Prototype 2 Gamescom Trailer

By Lewie Procter on August 17th, 2011 at 1:19 pm.

Remember yesterday’s teaser for Prototype 2? Well here’s the trailer it was teasing, and it’s a bit of a disappointment for me. I was hoping to see some gameplay footage to compare and contrast with the original, but it looks like Activision are focussing solely on the story with this trailer. Still, I always thought the first Prototype had quite slick cut-scenes, and from the looks of this trailer, that’s set to continue with the sequel. There are some heavily edited snippets of in game footage included too I suppose, so it’s worth a watch for that. Oh, trailers…

If you never played the original, it’s totally worth grabbing whilst it’s conveniently discounted at both Steam and Direct2Drive (UK/USA).

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hakkesshu says:

Still think Prototype has some of the best fundamental mechanics of any action game in the past couple of years. It’s a blast to run/fly around in that world. I just hope they drastically improve the campaign design this time.

• Anton says:

Also hoping that the textures on those buildings will be prettier!

• westyfield says:

Better than Just Cause 2?

• magnus says:

I just hope they don’t have a time limit appearing when you think you’ve nearly bested the final boss, that was really annoying in Prototype!

• woodsey says:

Movement was fun, but I always found combat far too sticky; there was no fluidity. And yeah, the plot bored me to tears.

• Wulf says:

It was also much sillier than Just Cause 1/2 too, much. Which is why I enjoyed it. It was completely ridiculous at times. It was just so OTT. And I certainly enjoyed running and flying around, and engaging in random skill missions to fly good by whomever doled those out. >_>

I still worry though that they’ve serious’d this up and made it like inFamous. The joy of Prototype was in its silliness. It was silly to the point where it could probably stand next to something like Evangelion and outsilly that.

It’s the only game where I’ve snatched helicopters out of the sky with a Mr. Tickle arm.

I hope they keep that about it, because it’s that silliness that just detaches it from just being a ‘man with guns violence game,’ and I tend to enjoy those less, much less, if at all.

/shrug

Please be silly, Prototype 2, just like your predecessor.

2. Askeladd says:

This doesnt look as bad as I thought it would.

Edit: Its actually looking good on a second watch.

3. Miodrag Kovachevic says:

I’m certainly going to try and play it. The base mechanics in the first one were alright, but it got really repetitive. I ended up just hunting the bulls eye challenges since they were the most fun.

Going to try the 2nd one. I hope it’s better.

4. Scilantius says:

My first reaction was “Why bring in a new protagonist? Alex Mercer was good in his own right.”

But then,… “Ooooh, TWO protagonists! This surely means co-op is now in the game!”

And after that, a squeal of joy.

5. CaspianRoach says:

Mercer is kind of a dick. Also I thought this game was a console exclusive. Huh.

6. Ogun says:

I hope you can skip the story parts/cut scenes in the sequel. The first one made me sit through cartoons when I just wanted to be outside throwing helicopters :(

7. Rob Maguire says:

It bothered me that the trailer got their own canon wrong. Elizabeth Greene was the carrier/avatar for the Redlight Virus, not the Blacklight Virus (which was Mercer’s creation).

I liked the story of Prototype. Too bad most of it was locked behind a tedious collection sidequest.

• Zyrxil says:

You liked the backstory of Prototype. The actual story was stupid stuff like Mercer’s sister getting injured, getting her to a doctor, and then the game forgetting she existed.

• Wulf says:

I liked the ‘stupid’ stuff, actually. It detached it from just being a game about cold human violence to one about absurd silliness, sort of like that Incredible Hulk game, which I believe this developer was also responsible for (weren’t they?).

It was also entertaining creating a massive, immortal hivemind of everyone I infected. They all ended up in Mercer. The man’s probably a living community by now.

And this is Blacklight, the incredibly nasty military organisation that created the virus. What’s going on here is that they’re trying to rewrite history, so of course they’re juggling the facts around to try and make themselves look as good as possible. And they’re trying to get their soldiers to rally around that. It’s propaganda. They just changed things a bit to better suit their propaganda.

So I don’t think it’s wrong, but more that Blackwatch likes editing history for their propaganda. Because there were a number of things in that video that were ‘incorrect,’ in favour of Blackwatch. :P

8. slick_101 says:

I really enjoyed the first one. But I had it on my xbox (back when I was a console gamer) So I don’t really know how fluid the controls are on PC. But using a game pad the first one did really feel at home, So my suggestion would be to try this out on a game pad.

9. Tei says:

I finished the original game in a single weekend. Good times. I really enjoy how easy and smooth you can travel everywhere. Pure freedom.

For a 2.0 wishlist, I would ask for a more detailed city.

10. yurusei says:

I can’t help but mention this – which sane rational human being would vouch to stay in the green zone, when all around them hell is breaking lose?

• Wulf says:

Military lockdown. They likely have no choice.

That’s how it was in the original, anyway, because anyone who even thought about trying to leave was hit by thousands of bullets. And if that didn’t work? Missiles. MANY missiles.

11. G_Man_007 says:

So it’s more of a spoil-trailer. Could have warned us Lewie. : P

12. Thermonuclear says:

Blackwatch Plaid?

13. Shooop says:

The first game was a riot for short periods of time, hurling men at helicopters so hard they explode and running up buildings.

But definitely not worth day one asking price.

14. DOLBYdigital says:

I personally loved the first game mainly for its fluid movement and feeling of power. I loved just running and gliding around and also enjoyed the ability to charge up jumps and attacks. It was definitely one of my favorite sandbox type game so I really hope this one improves everything. I can’t say the new character is as appealing as Mercer was for me but maybe he will grow on me.

15. PatrickSwayze says:

SPOILER

But Mercer wasn’t Mercer, it was just the virus with Mercer’s memory if I’m correct.

Infamous and it’s sequel are simply sublime though.

I hope we get an Infamous 3 that resolve some of the plot threads that 2 didn’t pick up.

16. Wulf says:

The virus retains the memories and minds of everyone it comes in contact with and keeps them alive in a sort of hive mind, but the virus itself acts on an instinctive level, which means that often the mind(s) that become tied up in it get very confused.

The virus itself is basically just an apex predator pretending to be a person when it needs to.

Comment on this story