Wildstar: The First Trailer

By Alec Meer on August 17th, 2011 at 8:32 am.

UPDATE: New embed.
There’s the preview of NCsoft/Carbine’s ambitious new sci-fantasy MMO Wildstar, and here’s the first scene-setting video. Pre-rendered intro vid kinda stuff rather than in-game footage, but sets the scene, the tone and introduces the three playable races and some of the classes… Take a look. Now, I must run off to a giant German convention centre to go see many, many games.

Oh, NCsoft and Carbine won’t reveal the game’s price model yet – so we don’t know if it’ll subscription-based or free to play. Were I a betting man I would go for the former, but they claim they want to wait and see what the market’s like when they release it. And they’re not saying when they’re releasing it yet either. The stuff I played was designated ‘pre-alpha.’

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. razgon says:

I’d watch that movie!

• nubbuka says:

I’ll second that, if this was a full length movie I’d buy a ticket :P

• Crainey says:

Totally.

• CaspianRoach says:

I’d watch that movie and a sequel to that movie.

• Tei says:

It looks like one of these pixar movies, feels great.

• Hanban says:

My first thought as well!

• Tasogare_A says:

I’d watch that movie and a sequel and a TV series… and it might be a good game :) maybe not as good as the movie but still :)

• El_MUERkO says:

HMURMMMPPMHH!

[sound of agreement via medium of popcorn mouth]

• Tei says:

Just imagine the potential for trolling.

Mail this video to all your friends, and tell then is the new pixar movie, and that you have tickets for friday.

• fenriz says:

me too, rather than obeying the devs in following their pre-written “ohmygodimsuchagreatwriter” stories inside boring hyper-led quests.

• dontnormally says:

I, too, thought this appeared as if it were a feature film trailer and I, too, thought it would be humorous to express this via text here.

2. Saul says:

Like the art style. Won’t play it.

• Lobotomist says:

Judging on the art style. It seems like Free Realms with more combat.
      Aimed at 12 year olds.

Shame. I expected much from Carbine

• Kollega says:

If this style is “aimed at 12-year-olds”, then what did you want? Something more “deep” and “enriched”, like perhaps a style inspired by the early 20th century expressionism, always changing, always in flux? Or did you just want another retread of Blade Runner? This sure looks way more aesthetically pleasing than Blade Runner to me.

• SkiDesignS says:

I like the art style, except for the furry. I’ll probably keep an eye on it, but I won’t play it.

3. vexis58 says:

That girl’s voice sounds incredibly familiar. That’s gonna bother me for a while, since I can’t check credits to see where I recognize her from. Also yeah, I’m far more interested in this as a movie trailer than a game trailer.

• Baron Mercury says:

Sounds like Tara Strong. You may recognise her from EVERYTHING!

4. StranaMente says:

What’s with the words MMO and their ability to immediatly turn me off about any project?

5. Rii says:

Eh, too cheesy for the most part but I admit the last line drew a smile.

EDIT: The in-game art style is much better.

6. Everyone says:

Holy gratuitous cleavage batman!

7. LuNatic says:

Looks like the embedded trailer is dead, so here is a youtube link.

Almost turned it off when the furry thing stepped out of the ship, glad I didn’t. I love to see this made into a not-for-kiddies cartoon more than a movie.

8. D3xter says:

Youtube Link for anyone else that might be seeing a red cross: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDaao0gExZU&hd=1

9. TsunamiWombat says:

…You know, i’d rather see this as an animated movie or a tv series then a game.

10. Frapple says:

Boo, what an awesome setting for a co-op action-adventure/rpg game.

11. Yosharian says:

Uh, whatever this is meant to be I don’t think this game is for me. Instead, I’d rather have a cup of tea, and then a pee. Under a tree. er…

12. Dawngreeter says:

So here’s something I never thought I’d say, but…

I don’t mind the bunnygirl.

There. I said it. Are you happy, Carbine?

• ynamite says:

Really cool trailer. But the bunny girl … WHY?

I hate bunny girls with tails, that’s so Final Fantasy and that ain’t a good thing.

Also, this trailer makes the game seem like something it won’t be, in the end.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I don’t understand why the bunnygirl has a cat tail. No really.

Do they just feel they need to fit in every furry sex cliche/symbol on one character?

Also, this trailer is lovely, but as has been said, does nothing to make me want to play this game – just make a movie and have your game designers (all 5 of them) make some little indie RPG.

13. Kollega says:

Ya know… as soon as i saw what planet they landed on and the big guy came out of the ship, i was instantly reminded of the Borderlands intro. The guitar chord there really should’ve been higher in pitch, upgoing rather than downgoing – a-la No Rest For The Wicked.

Speaking of the big guy: he is AWESOME. But i don’t like the girl with bunny-ears. I never liked bunny ears, dammit! I want cat-ears instead!

The planet itself and the color pallete, meanwhile, remind me of Ratchet & Clank. Then there’s that guy who wears standard steampunk clothing despite the game having spaceships… yup, the art style is terriffic alright. Now let’s just hope the gameplay measures up.

14. Applebam says:

The girl with ears and tail makes life more confusing.

15. razgon says:

Btw, am I the only one who thinks that big dead robot is somewhat familiar?

• westyfield says:

No, I think I recognise it as well. It looks a bit like The Iron Giant (or The Iron Man (not Tony Stark, the one from the Ted Hughes book)).

• doud says:

it does look like the robot from The Iron Giant but more like the robot in the French comicbook S.A.M., Tome 1 : Après l’homme… (ASIN 2205067389)

• razgon says:

Exactly – its the Iron Giant robot!!

16. RF says:

Why does the zeppelin-spaceship have a picture of a catgirl with guns for tits on it?

• Dawngreeter says:

I think the more pressing issue is why does the zeppelin-spaceship have only one picture of a catgirl with guns for tits on it.

17. Narretz says:

This is a good trailer.
    I like the path stuff, too.
    But why can’t I have a game that let’s me do all these things without having to choose a path at the beginning?

18. Dominic White says:

As everyone else and their dog has said, this is an amazing trailer for a film or an animated series. For an MMO? Shades of The Old Republic, where you’ve got gorgeous CGI followed up by really stilted gameplay footage featuring sniper rifles that don’t even shoot from the barrel, and lightsaber combat more resembling beating each other with glowsticks than anything else.

19. neolith says:

This trailer rocks!

20. somnolentsurfer says:

Does that woman have both human and rabbit ears, or are those massive earrings just stapled to the side of her head?

21. Dominic White says:

Welp, just watched a bunch of gameplay footage on a livestream from Gamescom. It confirms my fears. It looks like every other MMO. Not only that, but they’ve got for the low-res, cartooinish World of Warcraft approach, which may match the trailer art style in some aspects but looks infinitely more static and blocky in others.

And the gameplay looks completely generic. I know it’s a bit of a broken record point here, but at least Guild Wars 2 hit Gamescom running last year by showing off a 50+ player boss battle that anyone could just walk into and join in, highlighting the whole ‘massively’ multiplayer side of things.

• Wulf says:

Yeah. That was one of my greatest fears upon seeing this. I was just getting… bad vibes from it, even from the trailer alone. It was just rubbing me the wrong way. It seemed Saturday Morning Cartoon for the sake of it, with no depth to it. You can be silly and you can also have depth. (See: Bastion.) And you can be outlandish, imaginative, and have depth. (See; Guild Wars 2.)

But this just seems like someone very poorly grafted Phantasy Star onto WoW and thought that it would make a great game. I mean, there are some things about it that I do find appealing, but it’s more that they remind me of Phantasy Star than that they’re actually good. And at the end of the day I just end up wanting to play Phantasy Star Portable 2 more.

I had a feeling, really.

And outside of the tech temple, the environments are horrible. They’re terragen stuff. Generated terrain. Ugliness. It was one of the major problems I had with WoW, that as soon as I stepped outside of a path, I got lazy terrain gen. Oblivion had the same problem. In fact, one of the reasons I toot GW2′s horn so much is because it’s more Gothic than Oblivion, much more. By that I mean that it looks like someone actually considered that you may step off a road, and made it look interesting beyond the roads.

Watching people romp around in the snowy wilderness of Wildstar… augh. They didn’t even bother (like WoW) to correct where the terrain gen had clearly gone wrong. I’m all for hand-crafted alien environments, but when I see a tree sticking out of a mountain horizontally just because no one had bothered to properly handle that, I see laziness.

Blech.

22. JohnnyMaverik says:

Looks cool. Shame it’s another MMO.

23. Hypatian says:

Look–if you don’t like MMOs, that’s cool. But is it really necessary to comment on every MMO and complain about it being an MMO?

24. Jackablade says:

Damnit man, if you’re going to post an image like that on the front page you could have the common decency to add “Despite appearances this isn’t in any way related to Beyond Good and Evil. It’s not a game like it and it’s not even a game that you’ll want to play. It exists purely to torment you”.

25. RianXD says:

looks great, this and GW2 are on my todo list lol

26. gwathdring says:

Hmm. I’m intrigued. I liked the trailer and sort of want the team behind it to do a short film. Could be lots of fun.

This would be a great setting to go for an action-rpg with MMO elements as opposed to the traditional MMO gameplay. Something mid-way in between your typical MMO, Mass Effect 1, and some sort of high-energy action-platformer.

It won’t happen, but I can dream.

27. Wulf says:

This seems like WoW meets Phantasy Star but without understanding what made Phantasy Star rather quite clever. I see a lot of colour, and a lot of charisma, but I’m not at all convinced of the imagination.

You’ll have to show me why this is so clever, NCsoft. Otherwise, of your children, Guild Wars 2 is the only one I have eyes for.

And despite appreciating the colour (which I do), and despite absolutely loving anime art styles (which I do, as you all know), there’s something about this that seems… like deviantART. It’s the only way I can put it. It just feels off. Like it’s an imitation of a lot of things but…

I don’t know, this one isn’t doing anything for me. Yet.

28. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

If it was based on the old Image comic Wildstar, I’d play it!