Lookin’ Fine: Trine 2 Trailer

By Lewie Procter on August 18th, 2011 at 4:23 pm.

Mushrooms. Fun guys. Sorry.
This looks a bit lovely. Frozenbyte have joined in on the “Let’s put out a new video for Gamescom” party, and have got a lush new trailer with a first proper look at their Trine sequel, which is hopefully due some time next month. Have a good old gaze at this:

Clearly they’re building on the storybook styling, physics centric platforming and coop hijinks from the first game. Seems like there’s a pretty noticeable bump in graphical fidelity too.

The first game was considered by some to be a bit pricey compared to what was going on in the rest of the market, so it’s nice to see that Frozenbyte have stated on their forums that “Trine 2 will cost less than $30 on any platform. That’s all we’ll say on the matter until official confirmations.”

Also new for the sequel is online cooperative play, in addition to the local coop from the first game. A much requested feature that they were unable to deliver first time around. Good stuff.

The good news doesn’t end there though. It looks like after porting the first game to Mac and Linux post-release, the sequel is going to be coming to those platforms too. They’re not sure if they will be able to get the Linux version out at release, but if not if will be shortly afterward. I’m sure Linuxers can handle a bit of a wait… right guys?

It’s on my list. Is it on yours?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Inigo says:

Am I the only one who has no idea what Gamescom actually is? I’ve never heard of it until now and suddenly every game developer and his dog is churning out trailers for it.

• Sian says:

Gamescom is a games comnvention in Cologne, Germany. I think this is the third time it’s taking place… Go here for more information:

It’s quickly grown to be quite big, it seems. IWANNAGOTOO!!!!

• Calneon says:

I’d only heard of it because DOTA2!

• Paul says:

Only the biggest gaming convention in the world.

• JFS says:

Not everything can be as small and well-known as E3, you know ;)

• cmi says:

Oh boy, can’t resist.

First there was the Games Convention. Surprisingly successfull consumer oriented games exhibition which *nobody* wanted to organize before except Leipzig (located in eastern germany).

After years of constantly growing other big german trade fair companies were watching at this even more envious. One day Cologne said “Surprise! We made some deal with *all* of the biggest publishers (EA and afaik some others have their german headquarter in Cologne or near it) copied everything you did before but now fuck off”. They called their exhibition GamesCon (go figure).

Now it’s even larger and the worlds biggest game exhibition. :)

(ya bitter much)

• westyfield says:

Ah, that explains why every time someone says that GamesCom is in Cologne I say “no, it’s Leipzig”.
      It’s basically a European E3, i.e. E3 with much better beer.

• LostViking says:

It seems the biggest difference is its open to the public, which makes the attendance much higher. And also, the beer and bratwurst.

• Aluschaaf says:

Don’t go there if you’re not a journalist! You basically have to wait hours in a queue to see trailers you already know ;).

2. Ysellian says:

Looking quite amazing gameplay wise and those visuals are just drool worthy. ^_^

3. Drake Sigar says:

I don’t know whether I should play it or make love to it.

4. magnus says:

That looks rather lovely and I’ll definitely buying if I haven’t already sold a kidney by the end of the steam holiday sale.

5. bear912 says:

The other Teddy approves.

6. Sian says:

It’s definitely on my list. I loved part one and this looks like a worthy successor. And this time around, I’ll be able to play it with my friends! Yay! Oh, wait, they’re miserable bastards who’ll kick me off ledges…

7. disperse says:

Yes! Online coop support and more Trine.

I just hope the system requirements haven’t gotten too demanding for my poor old laptop. Can anyone confirm if they’re using the same engine as Trine 1?

• JoelFB says:

Trine 2 uses a completely new engine that we built from the ground-up. The new engine is all kinds of nice and much better optimized (especially for consoles – the game runs better than Trine 1 did on the PS3 and yet it looks a lot better). On the PC side I would expect the system requirements to be a bit higher than Trine 1, perhaps the graphics card needs to be one generation newer, at least at launch (I hope we’d be able to add support for low-end graphics cards in future patches but I can’t promise that yet). We’ll be a lot wiser on this in the coming months…

- Joel, Frozenbyte

• disperse says:

Thanks Joel!

I don’t suppose you know (or can say) if Trine 2 is going to be available through OnLive? I noticed Trine is on there. Physics based games are a bit hit-or-miss with the input latency but it would solve my last generation video card problem nicely.

• JoelFB says:

Indeed, Trine 2 will most likely be available on OnLive, and quite close to release I hope…

And thanks everyone for the comments. :)

8. The Hammer says:

Trine's one of my favourite games of all. Really evocative, and really appealing.

More Trine brings a biiiig smile to my face.

9. JackDandy says:

Hell yeah! I loved the first game.

10. Pointless Puppies says:

Any word on the enemies? I liked Trine but didn’t really appreciate the fact that there were maybe 3 enemies in the whole game.

11. Renfield says:

I never did manage to fully adapt to Trine’s AARGH-MY-EYES colour saturation, but the first one was such an endearing little game, so yeah: it’s definitely on my list.

12. ReV_VAdAUL says:

I will happily join in the chorus of approval for the first game and I am definitely looking forward to the sequel.

13. wodin says:

Putty the power of graphic tech into side scrolling games these days looks stunning…

14. Lambchops says:

Yeah, I enjoyed Trine even if it did suffer from that bugbear of games with multiple solutions to bypassing obstacles that often I was just tempted into taking the path of least resistance, which wasn’t always the most elegant or fun way to go about things. That’s entirely my fault, not the game’s!

This looks rather lovely and I’m sure it will be a good game, so makes its way onto my mental list of games I’ll probably buy.

15. shoptroll says:

That looks gorgeous. My list is ready.

16. Xocrates says:

I almost forgot about this one.

Yep! Definitely on my list. Top of it too.

17. JFS says:

Anybody thinking “Morrowind” with respect to the screenshot? Morrowind on colour overdrive, obviously, but sweet nonetheless :)

18. Jackablade says:

Looks like they taken note of the mild disappointment that came from the first game not being a modernised version of the Lost Vikings.

19. JohnnyMaverik says:

“It’s on my list. Is it on yours?”

20. Eggy says:

I love Trine but if “less than $30 on any platform” means it will be 29,99 I think I’ll pass.

21. Alegis says:

Good on them they’re finally including on-line co-op as well. The first game was a nice treat.

22. cmi says:

Trine was win, definitely buying Trine 2. Hope it’s not some “XBA exclusive” (for some time) like Bastion was.

23. DuckSauce says:

Recently been replaying Trine(and getting missing achievements) it was still such a beatiful and great game, really looking forward to this.

Also, online co-op!

24. TechRogue says:

Linux user here… now that I know a Linux port is planned it’s definitely on my list. At full price, hopefully.

25. Kleppy says:

That’s the most beautiful game I’ve ever seen.

26. Jimbo says:

I didn’t really know what to make of the first one. It looked great, but in SP it felt like a puzzle game without any puzzles. I hear it was much better co-op, but no online co-op on PC might as well be no co-op as far as I’m concerned.

I think they need to figure out how to balance puzzles for both SP and co-op, and I’m not really sure how you do that without effectively making two seperate games.

27. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Ooh. Eem. Gee. Multiple exclamation marks.

This looks rather lovely.

28. Urthman says:

Portals!

I approve of this.

29. Tams80 says:

Trine was brilliant. I just spent most of the time trying to make cog boxes and panels and then trying to swing from them though.

Now, online co-op in Trine 2? Yes! (I have no friends who play PC games, let alone Trine).

30. suibhne says:

Online 3-player co-op will be where it’s at. I would’ve played a lot more of the original if it had offered even 2-player online – the game seemed absolutely designed for it.

31. DOLBYdigital says:

Huh, didn’t really see any ‘PC’ logo at the end but I noticed the dev in the comments talking about the PC version so its definitely coming. I was just wondering if it would use GFWL for the online component. Either way, I’m very excited… I unfortunately didn’t play the original much although I can’t really say why… probably just bad timing and me having way too many games to play at once…

• JoelFB says:

Trine 2 will launch with Steamworks (retail/online). After launch we’ll look into other options (and for Mac App Store/Linux we obviously couldn’t use Steamworks anyhow)…

32. Keilnoth says:

Definitely on my list ! :)

33. BoZo says:

Looks like multiplayer Lost Vikings…. Awesome!

34. Kefren says:

The first game is DRM free on GamersGate http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-TRINE/trine – gets discounted sometimes. It’s worth supporting them, DRM free games are a joy! YOU HEAR THAT UBERSOFTY?

Comment on this story