Some Planetside 2 Images From Gamescom

By Jim Rossignol on August 18th, 2011 at 3:55 pm.

Jetpack? JETPACK?
Planetside 2′s developers were apparently abroad at Gamescom 2011, and our own sinister agents arranged a furtive rendezvous for discussion of the game. We’ll report back on what happened there soon. Meanwhile some images have escaped, and I’ve posted them in a little gallery for you to see, below. Click for full size, obviously.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. utharda says:

I think we’re still voting on mmofps controls vs a revolutionary wow clone interface, now with extra RNG goodness.

[Edit] — Sorry not picking on planetside 2, the electric boogaloo, I’m so in love with this. I’ve even set up a new station account. (although this time, I’m going to pay using one time credit card numbers… go go sony security.) Still mourning my hopes for SWTOR (secret, under the covers with a flashlight hopes, that have been killed by gameplay video.)

2. Joc says:

“MEDIC!”
    “What’s wrong!?”
    “Nothin’. How you doin’?”

Looking forward to this pretty thing being all up in my grill. Planetside 2, that is.

3. Highstorm says:

I’ve never been so delighted to read an HTTP error, truly! (5th pic down) – Ed: working now

I always kicked myself for not playing the first Planetside. Looking forward to giving this one a go.

4. Protagoras says:

Pure sex.

5. Commisar says:

Lookin good, can’t wait for 128 vs 128 vs 128 player battles

• Rockettgirl says:

prepare to have your mind blown ;) – I’ve seen upwards of 700 people on a map in the original PS . IF SOE are to be believed – there will be thousands in PS2 :D

6. BuboNulus says:

That’s no medic, she’s from Switzerland.

7. Rush Ton says:

Is that a jetpack?

8. Inigo says:

Carl was sick of their lies. Years of humiliation had picked away at him like the labourings of a million spiteful dwarves – “Hey Carl, where’s your helmet?” “What’s the matter, Carl? Can’t afford a helmet?” “You’d better duck, Carl! You’re the only one without a helmet!” Oh, they had tried to reassure him. “Don’t worry, Carl”, they said, “I’m sure your helmet’s going to be delivered soon”. Carl could sense their deception. He could smell their lies – the stagnant miasma of untruth clung to them like a leech.
    It was becoming too much.
    Then one day, it became too much.
    Carl was put on rearguard duty. They said it was to watch for attacks from the rear, but he knew the truth – “You stay at the back, pansy – wouldn’t want you to be shot in your little wussy unhelmeted head!”
    Carl’s restraint broke. The rage that had built up inside poured out in an unstoppable torrent of blind, unrelenting fury. He needed a helmet. He would have a helmet. And right in front of him was an unsuspecting, perpetually mocking squadmate… wearing a helmet.
    The lust for blood and helmets consumed Carl like a virus. He raised his rifle, levelling it at the back of his prey’s unprotected neck, and oh fuck no wait he’s New Conglomerate and they’re all Terran Republic aren’t they? Bugger. Nevermind.

9. Alexander Norris says:

Yes yes yes yes yes.

10. Ezhar says:

They got the masterchief outfits all wrong!

11. GenBanks says:

The graphics look surprisingly good to me… (for a MMOFPS)

12. Forgoroe says:

Looking forward.

13. Theory says:

Fifth pic. Left of. Are those dead bodies decals painted onto the floor? Or maybe there’s a weapon that sucks out your skeleton and internal organs. :P

14. DrGonzo says:

Really interested in the concept. But these screenshots and concept art couldn’t look more uninteresting and bland if they tried.

15. neolith says:

Dammit, I drooled on my keyboard…

16. Xzi says:

Art style looks like they were trying to rip off Mass Effect. And I’m fine with that. Do want.

17. DOs says:

If I didn’t consider PlanetSide to be the #1 game of all time, these screenshots wouldn’t excite me one bit, but because it is PlanetSide I am absolutely stoked to see them. The original game wasn’t a graphical marvel by any stretch even in 2003, but the gameplay was so great that it hooked me for 3 years, for probably 6 hours a day on average. Most underrated game of all time.

18. aircool says:

Dudes with gunz…. looks promising.

19. Zarunil says:

Weapons will be fired.

20. tungstenHead says:

I do like the art, actually. It’s all right. Believable colours. Ragtag armor plates outside sturdy, rugged clothing. It’s a hair Halo, but not significantly. It is familiar to the original Planetside without being slavish to it.

I approve.

21. Ergates_Antius says:

Top picture, guy on the left.

Wearing TR armour, carrying a weapon with an NC insignia on it…..

(god I’m a geek!)

• TimA says:

In the first game you could use enemy weapons, so hopefully this is still the case.

I remember taking part in a cross-faction anti-war protest on Werner, which ended in me giving Cyclers to some friendly NCs.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Really? I don’t remember that, but it was quite a long time ago. Fair enough then…

• DOs says:

Good times, smuggling faction specific weapons to the other sides at a tower out in the middle of nowhere, realising you were followed there by some same-faction soldiers who open fire, having the other side thinking you set them up.

You couldn’t just go, “Hey, we were trading here!”

22. AlexTaldren says:

Terran Republic > all ya’ll.

23. P4p3Rc1iP says:

I was at Gamescom today and was wondering whether I just missed it or if it wasn’t there. I must say that I haven’t had a good look at the Sony booth because there was mostly console stuff and a couple of loud, sweaty, man-dancers on a stage that kinda turned me away from the booth. Good to see RPS dug up some screens. Looks good I must say!

Also, will there be a general Gamescom article? I’m wondering for example what RPS thinks of the 4 hour queues for BF3, the silly Mig-21 taking up a HUGE amount of space (They could’ve put in some PC’s where more people could play the game in that area), the complete lack of indie games (Or did I miss them?), the Valve booth that wasn’t really about Valve at all, the Germans, the beer, the torn-apart-during-the-give-away WoW headphones, the silly costumes, the nice THQ booth, etc.

24. Eynonz says:

Hopefully by the time this game is released my new gaming rig will be ready :D

25. Davee says:

Looking quite good! I really want to get back into the 200v200v200-fights again. :)

26. Spindrift says:

Looks interesting, though what I’m really itching to see are vehicles and facilities.

I’m a bit concerned there isn’t enough distinction between the TR and NC outfits in the fifth shot. I mean, sitting here and looking at it right now, it’s obvious which is which, but in the middle of a firefight, they both might read as the same murky greyish color. I wouldn’t mind seeing more intense team coloration; I never really got into that whole murky brown color palette thing so popular with the kids these days.

27. Reikon says:

I really want to play this, but it’s going to be hard for me to justify paying if this has a monthly fee.

• gwathdring says:

I’ve never been able to justify monthly fees to myself. I can get plenty of pleasure out of other games on the market, and I spend less than $15 a month on games–spending that much on a single game just doesn’t compute properly for me.

• Quine says:

It’s cheaper per month than an hour or two down the pub, therefore a viable proposition in my case.

Once you start doing equations involving beer all sorts of things are allowable…

28. Dhatz says:

me: sir, what is the upscaled shit above?
    sir: theyre ridiculous. Go look at the armored tits below.

29. eselinks says:

I can’t wait for the new assasins creed to come out apparently it is going to be the best one yet I am going to buy this and MW3.

Comment on this story