Thanks, Killbane! Saints Row 3 Gets Serious

By Lewie Procter on August 18th, 2011 at 9:54 am.

Let’s kick off the day with a fresh look at Saints Row: The Third. There’s not a huge dose of the series’ trademark silliness on display here, but I suppose they’ve got to try and sell the game to stern-faced grumpy gamers, without a taste for the absurd, too. I do enjoy how the camera wobbles during the fisticuffs, and I’m looking forwards to having a lot of fun in that VTOL plane. Trailer go:

It’s due out on the 15th of November, and maybe it won’t be a rubbish port this time around! The second game is currently available for a bit of spare change over at GamersGate. Careful though, it (optionally) registers on Steam, but it seems that you’ll get the censored German version if you download it from Steam (and the censored version isn’t compatible with many of the mods and/or fixes), and the GamersGate version doesn’t have the latest patch available for it. Bit of a mess, that. More details here & here.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

LarsBR says:

15th of August, Lewie?

2. NathaI3 says:

As a stern-faced grumpy gamer, this sold it to me. Still think the jet is fooking ridiculous though.

3. tungstenHead says:

Holy unholy sound corruption. That can’t be good for the speakers. If you’re just waking up, well, you’ll be up.

Also, I think the funniness is inherent to the fact that this is incredibly serious business about a luchadore in a suit.

• westyfield says:

GyyaaaAAAAAAHHhhhhh!
      My ears!
      A cup of tea, a cup of coffee and that noise is more than enough to set me up for the day.

• Lewie Procter says:

Whoops! Sorry about that. I’ve replaced it with a not broken video.

Okami says:

How is anything in that trailer serious or not silly?

5. jti says:

I hope this delivers. I still have plenty of doubts.

6. Anjiro says:

Little masked Mexican men scare me.

7. ZyloMarkIII says:

As a gamer, I always wanted to perform a choke slam or spinning piledriver on random everyday virtual civilians. Hopefully, with the defeat of Killbane, my dreams will come true.

8. Inigo says:

maybe it won’t be a rubbish port this time around!

Oh my aching sides.

9. Gunrun says:

Nothing on this?
    “…THQ continues to focus on its four-pillar digital strategy: 1) create a digital ecosystem around key title console launches such as the November 15 release of Saints Row: The Third, which includes a robust DLC schedule, online Season Pass, and in-game store for consumables…”

I know it’s old but everyone seems to have missed it.

• Kollega says:

First thought: OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIIIIT!

Second thought: wait, what? I seriously doubt that the Saints Row 3 will have an in-game store, especially without announcing it, since it’s, at it’s core, a single-player game. An online pass… i’ve heard that THQ uses it in it’s sports games, and it won’t matter if the game ships with Steamworks or you buy it on Steam. The only thing that makes sense here is the suggestion of vast amounts of DLC. So, if you ask me to take a guess, these things refer not to SR3 in particular, but to their general “digital ecosystem” plot. Or at least i hope so. Hooray for confusing wording!

And as for the trailer’s seriousness: dosen’t anyone here know that pro-wrestling is, like, SERIOUS BUSINESS? Or maybe Killbane just takes his acting a tad bit more serious than your average wrestler. Or both.

10. unangbangkay says:

You know what would be fun? If Volition used a different custom player character for every trailer. Like going from that white guy in the E3 demo, then to a huge fat lady, then having a skinny clown-person in a space suit for this trailer. It would help reflect what the game’s about, wouldn’t you agree?

11. CaspianRoach says:

Huh I’ve only just noticed that melee system in the game does look a lot wrestling-alike.

12. LionsPhil says:

Please be technically competent and not crippled with DRM.
    Please be technically competent and not crippled with DRM.
    Please be technically competent and not crippled with DRM.
    (And have a demo.)

13. magnus says:

A patch for SR2, what? I didn’t know, how bad was it before?

shoptroll says:

I haven’t played any of the SR games before, and the last open world game I played was Vice City. I like how this game is looking but I’m hesitant to put down a pre-order without a demo or a solid early review. Does anyone know if the Professor Genki thing is going to be available after release?

15. FakeAssName says:

*sigh* I want to post a snarky comment about yet another awesome game being an instant no-buy for me due to Steamworks, but I just don’t have it in me after the snarky comments about all the other games I wont be getting because of this.

fine publishers, you really want me to play your games on Xbox that bad … I give up pissing into the wind.

16. DaFishes says:

I’m hoping Tobias comes back. He was fun. Laura, too.

17. devriley50755 says:

Angel de la Muerte? I didn’t realize Adam Baldwin was voice acting nowadays.

18. nidzumi says:

This game is aimed at men