Defenders Of Ardania Is Pretty Slick

By Jim Rossignol on August 19th, 2011 at 11:55 am.

A few weeks back I had a chance to play Paradox’s fantasy tower defence game (set in the Majesty world, for some reason) which is called Defenders Of Ardania. It was slick and solid! But also hard. The baddies totally thrashed me. I mean I was playing one of the later levels, but anyway. I suspect that it might be fairly popular when it arrives on the 27th of next month, due to the prettiness, and also the general commercial popularity of tower defence games.

Gamescom trailer below!

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Srekel says:

Oh, is this like Defense Grid but in a fantasy setting? *Goes to watch trailer*

Yep, seems so. Nice :)

abhishek says:

How many tower defense games is too many tower defense games?

• darthmajor says:

This many.

• Ridnarhtim says:

But how many GOOD tower defense games are too many?

• nofing says:

I really like tower defense games and I’d buy some more, but it’s kinda sad, that most of em are way worse than the custom maps in Warcraft 3.

• Ross Angus says:

If only there was some way of defending oneself from the constant onslaught of Tower Defence games. Erecting some sort of barricade, for example. If only someone would produce a simulation of this, so we could practice.

• Paool says:

@nofing I always liked the original Starcraft Missle turret defense games. Can’t tell ya how many hours I blew on those

• Trousers says:

Agreed, almost none of the ones released the last few years hold a candle to wc3/sc1 TD games. Defense Grid is still the only one that I would say is as fun as Elf TD and some of the other old ones

I would probably buy 5 TD games a year if they were fun to play

• Urthman says:

Fortunately, Blizzard is making sure nothing like that happens with Diablo 3.

Wouldn’t want to people inventing 2 whole new awesome game genres by allowing them to make mods.

Has there been any new game genres as successful as Tower Defense and DOTA created since those two?

• Koozer says:

All I can think of is Last Stand for DoW II – I think it was partly inspired by all the ‘fend off waves of enemies with just your hero’ maps in DoW. I wish it was better though…

• Thants says:

Nothing like that would’ve happened with Diablo 3 anyway, it’s not that kind of game. Diablo 2 mods were much more limited than Starcraft or Warcarft 3.

• magnus says:

There’s never enough.

3. Tei says:

Is this re-released? I remember reading about a similar game, but this one seems to have better graphics and real torret defense juice.

4. Wilson says:

Ooh, looks pretty cool.

5. Will Tomas says:

I wonder if Paradox’s Creative Marketing Commissar had anything to do with this?

6. ran93r says:

Something else to add to the watch list.
    Not the worlds biggest tower defence fan but it does look nice.

7. eselinks says:

Something else to keep me busy thanks for informing us is the a real trailer or a teaser trailler.

8. Gothnak says:

I play a lot of tower defence, but most of them are crap tbh…

Defence Grid is awesome, Cursed Treasure is good, and this new one, Kingdom Rush is pretty good too:

• Wilson says:

Looks interesting, thanks for the recommendations. I’ve played and enjoyed Defense Grid, but haven’t looked out for free ones that much (because, as you say, many are poor).

• Trousers says:

Ty sir

• Tei says:

Harvest: Massive Encounter is another interesting TD game. Its worth checking the videos on youtube of the bases people built to defend against massive attacks. Is probably the only TD game that have abusable mechanics combined with the ability to defend from massive hordes, so the result is EPIC on massive scale.

• vecordae says:

Kingdom Rush is fun. Instead of the typical “tower wot freezes blokes” you can build a barracks. The barracks spawn a little group of mobs that hold up monsters by engaging them in hand-to-hand combat. The trick is that there’s only three of them, so you have to really think about where you put them. The whole spawn mobs of your own trick is nice and they even give you the ability to drop a couple of extra soldiers down every ten seconds or so.

• DrGonzo says:

The Creeper World games are great, they have a fairly lengthy demo, you fight back liquid from flooding your base an interesting take on TD.

9. Nemon says:

I totally thought this was related to Defenders of The Crown. eGames (owners of Cinemaware) should take this to court or settle it with a round of Quake.

10. Gnoupi says:

Oh Paradox. In this world of uninspired and angry Activisions and other Ubisofts, you are what makes the word “publisher” still worth something.

11. uthere1 says:

funny how you people change your mind, a few months ago quite alot of people were commenting on how shitty the game looked (the game looks cool btw)

12. bleeters says:

Yes yes yes, but does it feature a computer with a crisp English accent bemoaning his inability to eat strawberries?

13. X says:

Sire, the rats are plotting to steal our cheese again and this time they won’t be content with Goudas, Pecorinos and Cheddars!

shoptroll says:

Looks fun, but it doesn’t look like it’s adding anything new. Very pretty looking though!

15. haihaiq says:

i love this game,i hope we can supply for our
    shoping…..