Need For Speed World Is Exhausting

By Jim Rossignol on August 19th, 2011 at 1:42 pm.

Out of shot: a concrete wall.
Well, it IS also exciting if you like the idea of the high-speed chase-me chase-me game of cops and boy-racers spread across the world and shared among millions of players (for free). Need For Speed World recently celebrate a year of whizzing cars wot go fast, and the Gamescom trailer (below) shows off the enfreshened customisation options and the “birthday” Porsche, which I assume everyone received for being around for year. But who cares when all the cars are already so shiny and so soundtracked with electric pop music?

John was a bit unimpressed when he reviewed the game back in the depths of 2010, but perhaps it has changed in the intervening months. Anyone still playing it? Report!

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

El_MUERkO says:

I played the beta, the handling was diabolical and the net code was shite.

• johnpeat says:

Towards the end of beta the netcode was still pretty terrible – stuff would just ‘appear’ in front of you as you drove.

• Steve_0 says:

It did improve – it HAD to tho, you cannot play a racing game by guessing where the obstacles are!!”

Isn’t that the only way to beat the battletoads wind tunnel level on your first go? :D

2. RianXD says:

i played it a month ago, the graphics were great for the download size.
    the handling wasnt so bad lol despite what other people have said.
    the only thing i have with it is the cash shop. you can buy nitrous for crying out loud….:(

• johnpeat says:

IIRC you can also EARN it so it’s the classic case of being able to pay to play less (and still get the high-end toys).

Certainly from beta into the first few weeks I never found myself short of SpeedBoost and didn’t pay for any either…

dirtyword says:

I’m actually surprised they charge realbucks in a beta… Is this common practice?

3. max pain says:

Lol you can tell the handling is bad just by seeing that steering.

• johnpeat says:

Which is the steering of which you speak?

The still of the 959 looks AOK to me – that’s how you stop it from going the other way – see Top Gear, any car mag for examples…

• max pain says:

I was talking about how twitchy the tyre steering is. It’s very unnatural, physics are all fake.

Oh right, it’s nfs after all.

• LionsPhil says:

You seem to be complaining that an arcade-style racer has arcade-style controls and physics.

• max pain says:

Yes, I don’t like arcade-style racer.

• LionsPhil says:

Ok, that’s nice.

Some people do.

• ShineDog says:

I love good arcade style racers, this one really isn’t one, and it’s all down to lifeless handling. Good arcade racers making the driving exciting and dramatic, in this it’s like pivoting a block around.

4. johnpeat says:

It’s basically Need for Speed Most Wanted – but remade not quite as well as the original and with a layer of ‘online’ added for good measure.

It’s a shame really, NFSMW is one of the best driving games ever made, as playable today as it ever was.

I think I’ll give it another whirl – you can’t start with ingedients that good and not make something edible surely – more news at 11…

• johnpeat says:

It’s not 11 yet but I have news.

I downloaded, joined and played and about 2 mins in a police car dematerialised 1ft from my bumper and I hit it.

Cue chase

Cue fun!

Hell I can think of worse ways of not paying any money to play a game – I even came 2nd in a race with people 2-3 levels ahead of me – go me!!

5. Zaboomafoozarg says:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

6. ShineDog says:

Have they actually updated the driving model so you can drift now? Before, all the carrs were basically glued to the road, you were limited by how fast you could turn, not by the grip your car had.

And just because it’s an arcade racer doesn’t mean cars should be lifeless, sterile things. Look at the best arcadey racers, the good NFS games, the burnouts, the DIRTs, basically any of the non hardcore sim games that are good give you cars with skiddy back ends. A good arcade racer should exagerate and simplify the cool things that cars do, not get rid of them.

• johnpeat says:

err – I got a beta key on day 1 of closed beta and cars slid just fine…

The handling/world/model doesn’t lend itself to huge drifts – it’s more about just getting around slower corners a bit quicker – but cars were never ‘stuck to the road’ in my experience…

Worst thing in beta was an unreassignable handbrake on LB – last place I’d want it, really.

• ShineDog says:

Barely. You can’t powerslide the cars, there is no point where you slam the throttle down to oversteer or anything like that. You’ll never countersteer to stop a spin. You say the roads aren’t conductive to this and I think madness, considering most of the roads are drawn from Most Wanted and Carbon, where you could drift most impressively.

• johnpeat says:

I suspect the reason you can’t slide around corners in huge lazy drifts will be down to a mixture of lag and racing issues.

It’s fine to do it in a game where it’s you and some AI but with 8 racers all trying to go around the same corner – with network lag meaning their positions aren’t 100% solid in relation to each-other – you’d have a NIGHTMARE of a time.

If it were possible – it would also be pretty easy for me to tap you into a spin – and I think you’d be unhappy about that…

Sometimes you have to play the game which is offered – not the one you have in your head…

• ShineDog says:

Well, maybe, except for all of, you know, all the other racers that let people do enormous lazy drifts without problem, and have for some time, including Need for Speed games before and after World.

Networking has improved, most racing games are pretty smooth, and while its true that racers are never 100% accurate, prediction technologies have improved to the point that you’ll rarely notice.

And then you’ll find that most arcadey racers simplify the effects of collisions precisely so you cant easily spin each other out. In Hot Pursuit a collision bumps you a foot or two to the side and has barely any effect on the direction of the car. Similarly, in the burnouts, you just knock each other around, and these have an incredibly drifty handling model in a game that encourages you to knock into each other. And finally in World, the game we are talking about , you just push the other car to the side, you can barely spin another car, just push them to the side without really doing much to their direction.

Most arcadey racers do things to stop people doing constant PIT manouvers (Hell, even PGR3 introduced spin protection to online collisions in a late patch, and thats more pseudorealistic)

So yeah, the game that is offered is a bad game, so I won’t be playing it when there are plenty of other good racers out there that I don’t need to make excuses for.

(What makes me annoyed is that the fact that the game is built on top of MW and Carbon, which were pretty good games, even using the same cities, but somehow they made the driving far worse)

7. Raiyan 1.0 says:

A Porsche 959?

Pretty.

8. mkblin says:

top film and nice see pictures ,shopping
    http://goo.gl/bE88E thanks ……………………………………..

9. haihaiq says:

i love this game,i hope we can supply for our
    shoping…..

10. fooga44 says:

Need for speed world could have been the best MMO racing game but they released it unfinished, I’m guessing the team had no idea where to take the game and just rebranded most wanted with some powerups and online thrown in. It’s basically most wanted without the story mode and just multiplayer with a few basic tracks/modes of which you have to earn through playing

Not a bad game by a long shot but not great, I think the online/netcode is what prevents them from pushing NFS in a more burnout style direction.

I’m hoping one of these days they’ll add Madmax/Twisted metal style combat racer to the genre, that’s pretty much the only kind of car game NFS brand does not have yet within it’s umbrella. That or a trackmania wannabe. I always thought the levels for NFS games were pretty good I can only imagine what cool stuff one could do if it had an editor like Track-mania with higher quality pre-built art/models..