The RPS Bargain Bucket: Pure Reactions

By Lewie Procter on August 20th, 2011 at 1:46 pm.

Everything’s gone a bit indie this week, with all the best deals being from those little developers we love the most. Way to go, guys. Not one of the games will set you back more than a fiver each, so there’s something for every wallet. Have a look and see if the bargain bucket is holding anything for you this weekend. You can always find more gaming cheapness over at SavyGamer.

Blocks That Matter – £3.59/€4.49/$4.49
You may remember this as one of the games featured in the RSP Xbox Indie Roundup earlier in the month. Well here it is, receiving it’s PC release as promised, at the bargain price of under four quid. Lets show the developer, Swing Swing Submarine, a warm welcome into the PC fold. I’ve not had a chance to try Blocks That Matter yet myself, but it looks a little bit brilliant. New to the PC version is Steam cloud support, and there’s a level editor “coming soon”.

Atom Zombie Smasher – £3.95/€4.52/$5.95
Alec’s got the skinny on this one:

I do recommend this to you, I really do. It feels fresh and clever and oh-so-PC-gaming-in-2011: no rules but its own, and convincingly realising a concept through smart design rather than empty gloss. Something about it can feel just shy of being as vital as I’m convinced it should be, though. It needs a little more give to really find its voice – but between the regular patching and the slow trickle of mods, I’m pretty sure it’s going to find it soon. Even so, it’s the best thing to happen to zombies in a long while. Run away!

Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony – £4.15/€4.75/$5.95
Registers on Steam.
Rather brilliant scrolling shooter that brings new ideas to the table, whilst still harking back to a time when you had to put coins in the machine to play games like this. Total Biscuit had a good look at this if you want to find out WTF it is. If you can all fit round a keyboard (probably best to grab some controllers really) it supports up to four player local coop, and has a pleasingly diverse range of resolution settings.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard For Gravity – £3.02/similar prices in other currencies
Here’s that Kieron bloke on AaaaaA [snip]:

Since you have this freedom of movement and a variety of methods, it’s actually a game as much about exploration as pure reactions. Looking around and working out what’s the best way to raise your points at any fall is paramount. Of course, also being able to nip around skillfully isn’t exactly of no importance. It’s not anywhere near as death-happy as Trials – but since there’s no save points mid-fall, it really couldn’t be. Generally speaking, the missions are short enough so the instant-kill isn’t a problem. In fact, it’s a boon. And, much like Trials 2, a cause of comedy.

Deal of the week
Multiwinia – £2.04/€3.40/$3.40
I had a bit of a lie in this morning, so instead of having six or seven hours left to get this deal, you’ve got a bit over fours hours left to snap up this brilliant deal. Sorry about that. This is the multiplayer-centric Darwinia sequel from Introversion, first of a new wave of bedroom programmers. It’s as silly as it is beautiful: Do the right thing and get it bought. RPS coverage here. Surely it’s about time we get to hear something new on Subversion soon? Pretty please?

Also of note:
Machinarium, Lume, The Tiny Bang Story, Outpost Kaloki & Cloning Clyde – £12.95/€14.80/$19.95
Magicka – £3.15/€3.60/$3.95. Registers on Steam.
NightSky – £3.50/€4/$4.95
Amnesia: The Dark Descent – £5.15/€5.89/$7.95
Fate of the world – £4.99/similar prices in other currencies.
GOG promo on some games for the PC

For more video gaming cheapness, be sure to visit SavyGamer.co.uk

__________________

« | »

1. MugiMugi says:

You forgot GOG’s best deal :P

• TNG says:

Oh yes, that one is a good one! During the promo you can buy from them in dollars (don’t know how it was in the UK, but in the rest of Europe you had to pay €49.99 although you did get the fair price credit for their store, valued at $16).

• Lewie Procter says:

You know, I ummed and ahhed about it.

I decided against it, because I don’t really like endorsing download deals when the retail version is available for cheaper, which is the case for The Witcher 2 (in the UK, at least).

I suppose there’s probably plenty of people who would be happy to pay a little more than the cheapest retail price for a download from GOG though…

• LionsPhil says:

He missed that the “some games for the PC” (what, you can’t even list them?) includes Master of Orion 1+2 and the Jagged Alliances.

• malkav11 says:

No offense, but like the last time you made a call like this: RPS’ audience is international, and I can guarantee you there’s no retail availability of Witcher 2 for $30 or less in the US. Our retail outlets do not do meaningful PC game deals anymore. Haven’t for years. Mostly don’t even do PC games.

It may be the case that UK readers can get the game more cheaply at retail, but that doesn’t make it worth ignoring the deal for the rest of us. (And you could always just note cheaper retail prices alongside it.)

• Lewie Procter says:

Well there’s also the fact that it’s only a OK discount, in line with how other similar games get discounted over time.

Do try to appreciate that I’m always in a hurry trying to get the bargain bucket posted as quickly as possible too. Every minute I spend deliberating about whether to include a deal or not is a minute someone might miss out on one of the other deals, so I often act on instinct.

I’ll try to be more mindful of deals that are more useful to international folk, rather than just the UK.

• Wizardry says:

And Realms of Arkania, one of the best CRPG series around. And the Battle Isle games, which I spent countless hours playing in the early to mid 90s. It’s just a shame it’s only a 40% discount and not a 50% discount.

• Shadowcat says:

LionsPhil: Not to mention the Battle Isle pack for $6, which contains six games, plus their expansions, and includes the rather classic “Incubation”.

• Alegis says:

I went ahead with the GoG witcher 2 deal as it was cheaper than getting it shipped from UK online retailers (not to mention taking weeks to arrive. Sendit lost the package when I ordered a month earlier).

And I suppose supporting cd projekt/gog.com more isn’t too bad

• Shadowcat says:

I can order a 3wvabn3 from an “Online Store”. Oh my god! It’s like a dream come true. If only I could figure out how to operate your “hyperlink”, then I could be among the lucky few to visit your “Online Store” and experience whatever tiresome crap awaits there.

• Kaira- says:

Are they actually any good? I’ve been looking on them, since they tend to be on sale time after time, but they just seem so… uninspired. I don’t know. Do they have interesting mechanics or anything like that?

• HeavyStorm says:

That’s the deal of the week, damn.

• 20thCB says:

…lot of needless animosity here towards someone who’s trying to help you out for free… nice.

• c-Row says:

All Battle Isle games + expansions + Incubation? Oh boy! And they even left out the awful Andosian War!

• Wizardry says:

@Kaira-: Yeah. They are quite good. Solid turn-based strategy games. Nothing too amazing and not all that complex, but still fun to play through today. You also get Incubation with it which is a good turn-based tactics game.

• Kaira- says:

@Wizardry

Well, in that case I might as well give them a go with a price like that. Thanks for the input. :P

• malkav11 says:

The Witcher 2 deal’s at least as good as several of the assorted minor discounts on indie games that you chose to include, if you ask me. But I suppose ultimately it’s easy enough to post additional bargains in the comments.

• Lukasz says:

Gog often got very little attention by Lewie. Its his article so he decides what to choose.

that being said i am thankful and i did once or twice bought something because of it.

• Wizardry says:

@Lukasz: I don’t think it’s fair to blame Lewie. He’s doing a fine job of bringing game discounts to our attention. The impression I’ve got is that he hasn’t played many of the older PC games on sites like GOG.com. Therefore it’s perfectly understandable that he focuses more on those more modern games that are still in the spotlight or have just been covered by the main RPS staff.

• Lukasz says:

Oh no no. I am of course not blaming him. that would be silly seeing how much good he does for our wallets. just statement of the fact, nothing more.

2. TNG says:

It is best to buy Magicka from the D2D US site. It’s worldwide available and you get a better price from those $3.95 at current exchange rates (£2.4/€2.75).
    EDIT: There are others from those deals that are also available worldwide from the US site. Keep that in mind!

• Xocrates says:

Trying to access the US site redirects me to the UK one. Seems like they don’t want EU people to buy there.

• TNG says:

Really? I’m in Portugal at the moment and I can visit the US site and buy from there, as I have done before (Total War games activated on steam for example).

• Xocrates says:

I’m in Portugal as well and I can’t. Keep getting redirected to the UK site.

• Saiko Kila says:

This may be related to the origin of an account. I have an account registered in the US and can use it everywhere in Europe, and pay only a small tax, around 10%, and pay in dollars (I suppose it is sales tax from some state). But I’ve heard it doesn’t work with EU-registered accounts. I may be wrong, but it seems plausible to me.

3. Memphis-Ahn says:

Everyone do yourselves a favour and get Jamestown.

• Optimaximal says:

Tis a shame the multiplayer is local machine only…

• johnpeat says:

Until we get an Internet with consistent <20ms ping – online multiplayer bullet-hell games will remain a pipedream…

• ArtVandelay says:

It’s $4.98 at Gamersgate. $1 less than the provided D2D link.

• Arathain says:

Having played it with a friend I can say there’s a lot of the magic in being together clustered round one screen that you’d lose playing online. Lots of back and forth, encouraging, quick tactics and stuff like that. Not to say online might not be nice, but it wouldn’t be the game.

Finding local friends to play comes recommended.

• Jumwa says:

LAN play is where it’s at. Wish more games had it these days. My partner and I own these two swanky machines for a reason, and it’s not so we can cluster around just one.

• Kaira- says:

LAN is good, but even they can’t compete with the days of youth when four little boys gathered around one computer to play Liero, Worms, Triplane Turmoil and other freeware classics.

Oh yeah, topic. I’ve come to understand that Jamestown is some sort of shmup, but deviates from the norm. So… what kind is it, then?

• Malibu Stacey says:

It’s 50% off on Steam (£3.49 here in the UK) for the next 17 hours.

4. johnpeat says:

Blocks That Matter is a brilliant little game and it seems churlish to mention it BUT it’s a lot cheaper on XBLIG than PC (240pts is < £2 so it's almost twice the price on PC!!)

If you don't have a box of 360 Xs then it's not relevant ofc. and the amount isn't worth worrying about but when 40p is a 'discount' – £2 is a bigger one…

• malkav11 says:

For people who care about that sort of thing, though, there’s Steam achievements for the PC version (at least on Steam), and XBLIG titles are not allowed to interface with Xbox Live achievements, which I suspect is another part of why they tend to get ignored by that userbase.

5. testman3 says:

Does someone know if Car Wot Goes Fast will go on sale any time soon?

(Just bought Magicka…. it’s awesome)

6. iniudan says:

There is also the Gamersgate summer sale going on.

Here some of the game currently in special:

Saint Row 2 $3.74
    Patrician complete collection (Patrician 3+(4+E)). $13.74 (deal of the day so gone Sunday)
    Red Faction: Guerrila $4.99
    Back to the Future $9.98
    X superbox $20.00

• Vinraith says:

I know Patrician 3 is generally considered a classic, but I own it elsewhere. Anyone have an opinion on 4 and the expansion? I’m interested, but I’ve heard mixed things. How’s the multiplayer, for that matter?

• iniudan says:

Cannot say, I never played any patrician game, but posted since I knew Patrician 3 was a well reputed economic sim game. It on my wishlist of game actually, but not really on top of it, for I prefer space economic sim.

7. Delusibeta says:

Jamestown is £3.48 from Gamersgate until Sunday. Steam code too.

8. Tom De Roeck says:

Also, the debut of those spiderweb games on Steam, for a sensational price as well, I think:

AVALON: The Black Fortress.

(cue Wizardry victory dance)

• Wizardry says:

Avadon is crap compared to his previous games. There’s no victory to be had here.

• Tom De Roeck says:

Must be the reason for the low price then? anyway, if you start here, you can only get better!

• malkav11 says:

Don’t listen to Wizardry. It’s maybe not quite as good as his best games and like all of them it gets a tad repetitive, but Avadon is still a brilliant game and well worth it at $10.

• Urthman says:

Weird that Steam doesn’t have a demo. He always has generously long demos for his games. You can get a demo for Avadon here, but the Steam sale will likely be over before you finish it:

9. Garg says:

Really enjoyed Fate of the World once I managed to get my head around it (and discovered the wiki). It succeeds brilliantly in making you think about the impact of humanity on the world without being all disgustingly preachy and GreenPeace, and is constantly challenging. It has got a lousy interface though, particularly when it comes to feedback.

10. Dances to Podcasts says:

So that Warhammer weekend deal not good, then?

11. HexagonalBolts says:

End this pestering of Lewie’s brilliance he has personally saved me hundreds.

• Prime says:

It’s becoming a disgrace. Last week it was Robert Florence, this week it’s Lewie…certain spoiled, ungrateful people around here need taken out and giving a swift kicking.

12. Chizu says:

Might be worth mentioning that right now Blocks that Matter doesn’t work for alot of people.
    Something to do with 64bit java.

In theory you can remove 64bit java and install 32bit for now to play it.
    But if I do that my minecraft will crash every few mintes, so yeah. I’ll wait for them to fix it :v

• KauhuK says:

Someone was faster than me after all. See below.

• LTK says:

I got it working with some help of the developers. In the Steam group comments there are some solutions available, in the form of updated .bat launch files so you don’t have to wait for a patch.

(See the comments on page 2)

That’s for when you already bought it, and if you haven’t then you should know that it’s hardly a reason not to buy the game. A reason not to buy it would be that the puzzles are really tedious and more than a few times reliant on trial and error.

13. KauhuK says:

I got Blocks That Matter but if you have Windows 7 64-bit and have both 32 and 64-bit java versions installed then the game wont work. It only works when only 32-bit java is installed. Only problem is that Minecraft does not work well if you dont have 64-bit java installed too. I have contacted the BTM developer and we tried one solution but to no avail. I hope something comes up to fix this.

14. wengart says:

Green Man Gaming Is having a great deal on Far Cry 2, Hitman: Blood Money, Just Cause 2, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, and Mount and Blade Warband. They are all 50% off currently.

In addition to that these voucher codes are still active:
    SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC
    20PEC-FACEB-SAVER
    20PEC-FACEB-SAVER
    20PEC-TWEET-SAVER
    SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC
    they discount 20% and are good for one use per IP address and can be used on any single item not discounted heavily (50%)

Also all games on pre-order are 15% off and can be combined with the above vouchers to get 35% off.

This includes Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dead Island, Red Orchestra 2 (uncut and with steam goodies if you get the DDE version), And Assassin’s Creed Revelations.

Also this is a referral link so using gets you 5 of your currency and I get 5 of mine.

• 20thCB says:

Can anyone confirm that pre-ordering Deus Ex HR from Green Man Gaming gets you the TF2 unlocks?

• Kaira- says:

I’ve seen around 4chan (you never saw me, rite?) that you don’t.

• balooba says:

I got a message when I logged into Steam this morning implying that I would. (I preloaded DE:HR yesterday, using my GMG code).

It said something along the lines of Thanks for Pre-Ordering/Pre-loading DE:HR. And these are the TF2 items you get if you Pre-Order.

I haven’t checked on TF2 though.

• Chizu says:

as I understand it you get that message but you won’t get the tf2 items, they’re only for pre-ordering from steam directly.
      I guess they didn’t have a seperate pop up for pre-loading from non-steam sources.

• malkav11 says:

You don’t get the TF2 unlocks. But you do save like $15, possibly more or less in other currencies. Are 8 primarily cosmetic TF2 unlocks really worth $15 to you? (They certainly weren’t to me, as much as I would have liked to receive them.)

• Thermal Ions says:

Confirmed, no TF2 unlocks, but I saved $27 by going with greenmangaming so figure despite liking the looks of some of the items I’m comfortably ahead.

15. pirusu says:

Dungeon Siege 3 can be found on Amazon.com (not sure about .co.uk) for 50% off, and you can choose to download it instead of having it shipped.

16. Monkeh says:

More people should start buying here: http://www.intkeys.com/

17. MD says:

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned this yet, but Jamestown is cheaper ($5) on GamersGate: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-JTLLC/jamestown-legend-of-the-lost-colony