Blacklight: Retribution Contains Guns, Men

By Adam Smith on August 22nd, 2011 at 1:32 pm.

A Man Fires a Gun

The signup for Blacklight: Retribution‘s closed beta is ongoing and another trailer has emerged for your viewing pleasure. It shows off some shooting, some explosions, some vehicles and a mech with strangely chubby legs. But don’t take my word for it – see below and attempt to spot all those things for yourself! Perhaps make some form of checklist. That way the trailer is a game in itself.

The game will be at PAX Prime and you can sign up for the closed beta here. From what I can tell, people will shoot one another quite frequently and occasionally they themselves will be shot. Possibly by a mech.

The most worrying part of the trailer is the appearance of a rocket launcher. Nothing inherently wrong with that, you may think, but it feels like a climactic moment. As if intended to make the viewer pause for breath, or perhaps spit their coffee onto their keyboard and then run into the streets proclaiming: “Blacklight: Retribution shall allow a man, or lady, to fire a rocket launcher!”.

But then perhaps the portly mech is the unique selling point and the rocket launcher is merely a prelude to that delight.

Still, it’ll be free to play and if the mechanics are sound, it could be a blast. At the moment things just look a little too generic.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Burning Man says:

“A Man Fires a Gun”

Words were said.

2. mondomau says:

Why are their heads so big?

Model animation looks rather clunky and it is all ‘a bit generic’. No better description really.

Wasn’t the first one terrible? Wonder what they’ve learned.

• Eclipse says:

No, the first one was an awesome game, I’d say it was an amazing fps, but it had a very bad pc port with: no text chat, broken voice chat, very poor matchmaking.
      Basically it was a very good shooter almost unplayable on PC

• godwin says:

Some of the heads are big, but I think that’s because they’re aiming for anatomically and mechanically correct designs. I love the designs actually, pity they look dull, flat and clunky in execution.

• Felixader says:

@Eclipse: It was also uncontrolable on the console plus the problem that the graphics could cause if didn’t have and HD Screen avaiable and if you had the writing was awfull to read.

3. NAZIUFOCOMMANDER says:

I love these “men standing around solemnly shooting at each other” trailers, when the reality of the game is (thankfully) never like that.

4. Nalano says:

Can I be officially underwhelmed by manshoots now?

5. kwyjibo says:

It’s free to play, which means it won’t fail as hard as the original.

6. Gunrun says:

I wonder if there will be any compensation for all the people that bought the first game which they instantly abandoned to make this.

7. Nallen says:

There was a section on this during the Invisible Walls show over at that site RPS always used to thank. They talked quite a bit about how and why the first failed and what they’ve done differently here. I thought it actually looked pretty good gameplay wise and will almost certainly check it out, assuming I remember it following the AAA bomb that’s about to go off.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Indeed. Not sure if it’s just mindless PR spinning, but the guy certainly convinced me that Blacklight was exceptionally bad through a series of bad circumstances, and that this game will be far better not only because it’s a PC exclusive, but because they promised to make the F2P model not pay-to-win.

In short, that Invisible Walls segment sold me entirely on the game :P

8. wazups2x says:

First one was a horrible console port so I doubt this will be any better. Plus, I’m not a fan of F2P games.

• Hensler says:

Well, this one won’t be a port, so it’s already got a leg up on the original.

9. Hensler says:

I’ve always thought mechs should have chubby legs. Most mechs in games look like a strong wind would knock them over.

10. Shooop says:

It’s F2P so why not give it go? At the very least it’s already got the fact it’s not a “pay-to-win” Korean RPG going for it.

11. Malibu Stacey says:

Containing Guns & Men is all well & good. Will it contain players unlike it’s prequel? That’s sort of a pre-requisite for a “multiplayer” game.