Owlboy Demo Swoops In

By Alec Meer on August 22nd, 2011 at 9:26 am.

Orville: the videogame. Oh, how I've dreamed of it.

Due to post-Germany exhaustion and racing to get Deus Ex Human Revolution finished before the embargo lifts later today, I’ve not had a chance to take lovely-lookin’ indie platformer/roleplayer Owlboy for a test flight myself yet, but it only seems right to advise you that a demonstration version of this much-anticipated pixel-art slice of steampunkery is now available. 80MB of avian lad await you here. Set to it, chums.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Eclipse says:

Awesome demo, cannot wait to pick up the full thing

2. undu says:

The zooming coupled with the weird scaling kills the pixel art sometimes. I hope they fix it, it’s a gorgeous game.

3. ChainsawCharlie says:

The main dude is called Geddy! How can this not be a GOTY?!

Seriously, played the demo and really enjoyed it.

4. TomSmizzle says:

I absolutely loved the demo. This is the first game in a long time where I didn’t want to start it up because the menu music was so good.

5. Inigo says:

I enjoyed it up to the point where I somehow broke one of the cloud puzzles and had to restart the demo from the very beginning since they seem to have forgotten to tell the player what the save points look like, how they work or even that they exist in the first place.
    Also – disabling the options screen in a demo? Why?

• patricij says:

There are some, but they seem to be a bit bugged at times…

6. phenom_x8 says:

Just finished DL it! Knew it from VG247 a few hours before your news posted, RPS! And I can tll you all, its worthed!

7. Anthile says:

Owl look into it.

8. fenriz says:

not for me,(probably) too much platforming and too many changeable instruments of death. That’s console heritage, i’ll have you guys know.

• Wulf says:

Not very old, are you?

Not being nasty but that’s all I can assume from such a statement. Through the home computers to the early years of the IBM PC, our humble computer platform has had no end of platformers, these continued well into the ohties before they dried up. I think the last good platformer that wasn’t a console port was Claw, as I recall, and that was a PC original title.

And everything you’ve stated there that you think applies to Owlboy also applies to Claw and a vast multitude of PC platforming games of years past. The PC was never all and only sims and strategy games, you know? That’s silliness purported by people who don’t know better. Amusingly, if I remember correctly, RPS ran an article (or part of one) a good while back about how this was the case and how they were mildly annoyed that people seem to have forgotten how varied the PC used to be.

There was a mild dip around… what, ’02-’04? Somewhere around there. But what we’re seeing here is a resurgence of something that’s always been at home on the PC, not something that’s new and was only ever a console thing. And before anyone goes there – there were always plenty of Japanese games available for the PC, too.

My tastes were anything ever but limited, so I had a large variety of PC games. And I’ll say now that a lot of what you could say about the older consoles you can actually say about the PC, too, as the PC has a parallel heritage with them.

9. manveruppd says:

Re: embargoes and launch day dates and stuff, I’m pretty sure people who read your site won’t have a problem with waiting a few days longer to get a better review. No need to kill yourselves (and your enjoyment in the game!) just to get it out on the same day as all the rest of the internet!

10. patricij says:

Looking good, havent finished yet mind (due to faulty checkpoint system), but I like it…. If the price turns out to be under 10 USD I am going to buy it

11. Wulf says: