Razer Starting Mysterious Pro-PC Campaign

By John Walker on August 22nd, 2011 at 9:25 am.

Yes it is. Yes it is.

Throughout the late 90s and most of the following decade there was the tedious refrain, “Adventure games are dead.” Which of course meant every single time an adventure game came out there had to be the opposing, “Adventure games are not dead.” Or more usually, “Reports of adventure gaming’s death are much ex…” and every variant thereof. I’m as guilty as it of anyone. Unfortunately, the same mantra has become incredibly commonplace of late to needlessly defend PC gaming. PC gaming hasn’t shown any significant decline in popularity – rather console gaming have become an enormous, mainstream phenomenon. So the efforts to defend PC gaming end up mostly serving to consolidate the myth that there was ever a problem in the first place. So with that said, Razer – the PC peripheral maker – have launched some sort of teaser campaign to prove that PC gaming is not dead.

The arguments made, when not denying that a vibrant, energetic platform is dead, verge on interesting. That consoles are closed, proprietary formats, while the PC is an open platform with so much more potential. True, but a shame to have conflated this point with denials of death.

Anyhoo, there’s a countdown clock which expires on the 26th August at 4pm. That’s the day Deus Ex: Human Revolution is released in the UK, but that comes out on Steam at midnight, 16 hours earlier. So it seems unlikely to be related. So who knows then. We shall find out on Friday.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Corrupt_Tiki says:

‘PC gaming is fine just shush’ – best tag ever, or well, pretty close to horace and staring eyes, but still pretty good.

2. Arca says:

Not exactly mysterious, they are a PC accessory manufacturer after all.

• Gnoupi says:

Exactly, it’s like those commercials advertising the values of meat or milk, paid by a grouping of meat/milk manufacturers.

It’s in their best interest that their main market is going good.

3. Lhowon says:

V for Vendetta! The style is from that, isn’t it? It was driving me nuts trying to remember. For some reason I kept thinking Hitchhiker’s Guide, I think because the voice sounded like something off the radio series.

Anyhoo.

4. Bilbo says:

“It’s quite fun that they describe participation in console gaming as “Silent, obedient consent.” There’s truth to that.”

Shut up, John.

• skinlo says:

Someone is offended by the truth.

• Prime says:

Someone is offended by just about everything he sees hereabouts, so this isn’t surprising.

• John Walker says:

I’m going to venture that Bilbo might have been joking about staying silent. At least… I hope he was.

• Bilbo says:

Not “offended”, but also not convinced there’s any “truth” in that idea. It was a challenge to back up the throwaway comment with a little explanation – I am open-minded, after all. I just don’t see your reasoning at first glance.

I wasn’t making a weird joke, sorry.

• Tei says:

Consoles are locked down hardware that don’t let you modify the games or run any software you have.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

Weird joke? Seemed perfectly sensible to me, it’s actually what I thought you were doing. Pity it turned out you’re just being your usual humourless, witless self.

And how does ‘Shut up John’ translate to a ‘challenge to back up the throwaway comment with a little explanation’? Do you normally say ‘shut up’ when in actual fact you mean ‘could you kindly substantiate your argument?’

Perhaps you should give the internet usage a rest until you’ve learned a few social graces and debating skills, God knows it’s full of enough idiots already.

• Bilbo says:

Well, “There’s truth to the idea that console users are silent, consenting and obedient” were fightin’ words, were they not? If I’m having a casual drink in a pub and somebody says something inflammatory and doesn’t substantiate it, I’d chuckle and say “shut up”, inviting the person (admittedly in a non-explicit manner that you clearly can’t handle) to substantiate their devil’s advocacy. Maybe I should bow and offer my pinky ring to be kissed before daring to address someone directly? Sure thing, king george.

But go ahead, fucking crucify me. I’m the humourless, witless one and your reaction is exemplar of flexible human discourse.

Tei, on the other hand, is doing it right. I hadn’t considered it from that angle. The restriction of freedom that console gaming represents is definitely a compelling argument.

• skinlo says:

The difference of course being that this isn’t a the pub, and typing like you might talk in the pub after a few drinks doesn’t exactly work very well, as just demonstrated.

• Bilbo says:

Well pardon me for living. I didn’t realise just how sensitive you all are. Apparently being casual isn’t acceptable but veering wildly off-topic to deconstruct other commenters’ style and making sweeping, unsubstantiated and inflammatory comments and then not bothering to back them up is all entirely valid in RPS-land.

Fuck but I hate it here sometimes

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

Ditch the martyr complex, you’re the one crucifying yourself by consistently machine-gunning out shitty, snide, pointless comments. Your pub argument’s just ridiculous, as you’ll understand once you’re old enough to go into one. For one thing, if you acted that way to a random in a pub you’d run a severe risk of being smacked or glassed. Either way though, you’d come across as a complete tool. And I agree, Tei is doing it right – maybe you should pay more attention to your own examples.

I’m totally fed up of the snide back and forths between console and PC users as well, but just because you’ve squeezed yourself into that really cool Keyboard Warrior outfit your Mum made for you from an old pair of M&S pants and your security blanket doesn’t mean you’re forwarding any kind of harmony, you’re just adding to the reams and reams of squawking and white noise that’s already out there. Take the pants off your head and grow up a bit.

• Dawngreeter says:

Bilbo, shut the hell up.

• Lambchops says:

[Obligatory sigh of "can't we all just get along" and failure to recognise that the decaying corpse of last week's running gag should not be reanimated]

• Bilbo says:

*Dishes out two blocks*

If all you can do is insult even when I’m making an effort to argue the point properly with you – in the face of yet more insults – and throw out retarded “You’re a kid” etc bollocks (you’re wrong, but that’s beside the point) then you leave me no recourse but to(and indeed make it very clear that the only constructive thing to do is) block you, and I suggest you do the same you patronising sod

Sheep, apparently we can’t all get along, no. I don’t think this instance of it was really my fault, though, and I’ve tried to stay constructive in the face of pretty severe hostility – I’m struggling to feel like the bad guy in this one despite the fact that appears to be the role the community has cast me in

• Nalano says:

@ Bilbo

“Fuck but I hate it here sometimes”

…then why are you here? This is a self-avowed PC elitism site. Of course we’re gonna badmouth the lesser platforms.

• Malk_Content says:

Although I rarely agree with Bilbo (I don’t agree with the first few of his posts in this thread even, shut up is not a great example of polite discourse when you mean “elaborate your point”) but I do think alot of people are overly aggressive to him. Questioning his age, taking the piss etc all just go to justify his rage. All was fine until Bent Wooden Spoon had a go at mocking instead of reasoning and then all logical argument go out of the window.

Not saying I agree with Bilbo on anything preceding that point, but once we start insulting each other it doesn’t really matter who is disagreeing with who.

• Dawngreeter says:

I love how getting the same response you started with makes you all indignant. Thumbs up, dude.

• Bilbo says:

@Nalano I’m down with PC elitism, although I would rather people explained themselves properly, my hate is directed specifically at the “throwing my toys out of the pram because you said a bad word whilst simultaneously allowing bold claims to go happily unsubstantiated and implying i’ve got the moral upper hand in terms of criticism while above conditions continue” crowd.

@malk_content Thanks, I guess? I was a bit flippant with John but he was inviting it with a trolly comment like that, and his stoic refusal to qualify it kind of proves he was just agitating for the sake of it. Acceptable in the context of an article discussing a corporate entity doing the same but it kind of just makes him a bit of a PR mechanism or “tool” if you will and I was hoping there was more to it, something I could learn from and use elsewhere, you know, knowledge. Tei gave me some though so I’m off to my next adventure now!

• LionsPhil says:

>Bilbo tells John to shut up.
      >Bilbo claims this is “please support your argument” in his own little variation of polite discourse on the planet where he resides
      >Dawngreeter tells Bilbo to shut up.
      >Bilbo blocks Dawngreeter and whines about insults.

Performance troll art, or just obvious to the irony? We may never know.

• Malk_Content says:

No problem. I’m fine with disagreements, I’m fine with people having differing points of view but I’m not fine with people insulting each other over them. I think John is being quiet because unless he has come back to read this whole thread, it wasn’t overly obvious that you wanted him to defend his position after all when I tell people to shut up, generally I want them to shut up. I hope he does come back and defend it, I agree with him even though I’m also a console gamer but I can’t really argue his side as it might turn out that my point of view doesn’t remotely resemble his.

• Bilbo says:

@LionsPhil I’d posit that the contextual differences and dawn’s use of the words “the hell” are sufficient delineation but you’re on some kind of irony trip and I don’t want to bring you down :) float on.

Bone of contention, though, I never said I was being polite or said “please”. I just said that in my opinion telling someone who’s made a sweeping statement to “shut up” is an invitation to that person to either defend their position or, yes, shut up and stop talking rot. I really don’t see what’s so hard to understand about that. The position that if I wasn’t telling him to shut up, I was shyly waving from across the room and fluttering my eyelashes and that obviously that wasn’t what I was doing and therefore I’m being absurd was not my position – it was a straw man generated by a detractor to belittle me with, because it’s easier to look clever doing that than it is to actually discuss the motherfucking issue. I wasn’t politely asking him to substantiate his claims. I was telling him to put up (by quoting him, illustrating clearly the point that required clarification) or shut up. Good day, sirs.

• KillerB says:

Dont make me come down there…..!!

PC’s rule. FACT. As as grown up and both a PC and console owner, i refer the PC for many many reasons which i wont bore you with.

There.

I said it

• Nalano says:

@ Bilbo

“although I would rather people explained themselves properly,”

We really don’t want to have to rehash why consoles are closed systems made specifically to bleed money out of consumers who don’t know better every time we make a post about the PC market. For one, it’d be redundant, considering the focus of the site, and for two, it’d be boring.

Or, to put it succinctly, we kinda assumed you already know why PCs are better.

• Schmitzkater says:

Admittedly, the overly aggressive tone against you isn’t very nice Bilbo but, thing is, you have a fight like this in every other comment thread on this site and I think some people are just starting to get fed up with it and jump straight to more fighting words.

• Aldehyde says:

Is it just me that find it completely obvious that Bilbo blocked Bent Wooden Spoon and not Dawngreeter?

Although, perhaps I am completely wrong here since I, apparantly, didn’t read the whole thread first.

• mondomau says:

“I’d posit that the contextual differences and dawn’s use of the words “the hell” are sufficient delineation”

Do be quiet, you silly boy.

• AlwaysRight says:

Ha, I love Bilbo posts.
      Its brilliant how he constantly gets wound up every time he comes to RPS. He obviously doesn’t get the humour here and is really really angry about it.
      Maybe we need a new RPS mime. maybe ‘SHUT UP BILBO!’ or even better ‘Bilbo is right!’ (its funnier because he doesn’t get irony).

..but anyways PC = Good, Consoles = Bad (see, I’m contributing)

• Bilbo says:

I was complaining about Spoon.

I’m sorry I asked for clarification, but it occurs to me that a little more clarification and a little less elitism might alleviate the misunderstanding between them thar console kiddies that don’t understand why pc gaming is better and the superelite amongst you. Being closed off and just dishing out unsubstantiated insults (of which being called “silently obedient and consenting” really, really is one) is just fulfilling your own prophecy.

As for the “fight in every other thread” thing, yeah, that does seem to be the way it goes down. I’m blaming the community – if I said that I thought my crimes (swearing, being generally irreverent and not holding the majority view) were deserving of the absolutely-certain, vile, violent and vitriolic backlash my every comment receives and either a) stopped commenting or b) limited myself to mindless repetition of the views of the body politik, i’d be every bit as guilty of “silently obeying and consenting” as the hated console playing masses, wouldn’t I?

*edit* @Mondomau enjoy your block, patronising arse

• Nalano says:

@ Bilbo

The insult is substantiated, but neither Razer nor RPS feel the need to explain the joke because, like Sarah Palin, the criticism is fairly self-evident.

• Malk_Content says:

@ Bilbo

People don’t mind the differing opinion part, that is fine, it is the rude and irreverent part which makes people rally against you. You swear and be aggressive towards people, they are going to swear and be aggressive towards you in return (and I’m not condoning either act.) People would listen to you more if you didn’t swear in every other post, insult the community (and thereby the commentators themselves) in every thread. In real life if someone is known for being sweary and disrespectful, people are less likely to engage and listen, or at worst get upset and angry back. It is the nature of things and for it to stop your going to have to get more polite, getting your point across without angry remarks (people will sometimes not understand what your trying to say and you need to be able to calm down and explain, just like your asking other people to do) and people will still be hostile towards you for awhile because of the amount of bad rep you’ve built up around he. Stop hating and eventually you’ll stop being hated.

• LionsPhil says:

I can only assume (well, in the case where he’s not doing this on purpose—given he’s just blocked another person telling him to “shut up”, I’d really rather prefer to believe that than that he’s actually not quite that stupid), Bilbo has a rather defective relationship with his “friends” where regularly using “shut up” as a shorthand for “pray, do elucidate” is considered appropriate behaviour, and he cannot understand that this may not actually generalise out to a wider audience who are more used to the conventional meaning of “stop saying words you blithering dolt”.

To wit, shut up Bilbo.

• Bilbo says:

I don’t insult “the community”, I just insult the elements of it that I find abhorrent; in this respect I love the community. But it’s tough love and it isn’t working, so as you say, probably need to change it up a bit

I do try to curtail the sweary and the aggro, but it’s generally in proportion to whatever it is i’m reacting to, bigger the thing i’m criticising, or bigger the huge wave of misguided people, the angrier i am in response.

• Bilbo says:

Again, phil, your inability to compare two strings of characters and find the differences amazes me – i haven’t blocked anyone for saying “shut up”, and your assertion that I have and am therefore “stupid” is ironic given you can’t tell the difference between “shut up you annoying boy” “shut the hell up” and ” Shut up, John” would demonstrate that you are in fact the stupid one. Now leave me a-fucking-lone, please? Don’t you have games to comment on? Stop being a prick etc

• Nalano says:

I mean this in the best way, but shut up, Bilbo.

• Grundig says:

Sorry guys but Bilbo is right…

no, wait, the other thing:

Shut up Bilbo!

• Bilbo says:

Shut up, guys.

Lets’ all shut up!

• Tams80 says:

Awww, that would have been a mildly funny joke.

Why so serious anyhow?

• JB says:

Just for reference, Tei *always* does it right.

That is all.

• Dozer says:

just wondering – if a user blocks someone, how is that ‘punishing’ the blocked user? The only person losing anything is the blocker, not the blockee or the amused onlookers.

• dsi1 says:

This entire comment thread is a waste of space on the first comment page, why did you do this >:|

5. staberas says:

Its for the razer switchblade … http://www.razerzone.com/switchblade

srsly if its something else (a new mouse for example) it would be totally lame .

• Bobzer says:

Oh lord

• yhalothar says:

whereas a razer switchblade is not lame? does not compute.

• Starayo says:

Apparently the timer lines up with the first day of PAX prime, and they have a panel on:

PC Gaming is (Not) Dead
      Pegasus Theatre
      Saturday 11:30am – 12:30pm
      Join Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan for a live presentation of Razer’s new, groundbreaking project for PC Gamers worldwide. If you were impressed with Razer’s Switchblade concept, which won the Best of CES 2011 People’s Voice Award, wait until you get a load of what Razer has in store for you at PAX Prime. Don’t miss this opportunity to experience first-hand, the hottest thing to redefine the industry. The official worldwide announcement will be made during this session at PAX Prime, and don’t miss your chance to win epic Razer gear! Q&A session to follow the presentation.
      Panelists include: Min-Liang Tan [CEO, Razer]

• Vagrant says:

I fail to see how the switchblade is much more than a console-ized PC, but we’ll see? I was thinking about going to that panel anyways, now I might not due to the lines of people that might show up.

6. thegooseking says:

Isn’t that exactly the same thing that happened with adventure games, though? Adventure games didn’t decline in popularity; they just didn’t grow at the same rate as the rest of the games market (particularly FPSs). Then again, I’m surprised adventure games haven’t seen a great resurgence now that we see 3D as just a tool rather than something to get sexually aroused over (a shift in perceptions that is no doubt a positive effect of the current generation of consoles’ long lifespan and the technological stagnation concomitant with that). No, mostly it’s the 2D platformer that’s come back.

• John Walker says:

Exactly. And they are showing a significant resurgence at the moment, especially via Telltale, and AGS.

• Calneon says:

We haven’t seen a resurgence of Adventure gaming? Mechinarium, Lume, The Tiny Bang Story, Samorost, probably lots more that I don’t know because I’m not hugely into adventure games.

• Lars Westergren says:

Sam and Max seasons 1-3, Tales of Monkey Island seasons 1-2, Strong Bad season 1, Hector season 1, The Next BIG Thing, The Whispered World, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon, Kaptain Brawe, Dark Fall: Lost Souls, Broken Sword remastered, etc.

And that’s just counting classic style adventure games. There are also many “sort of adventure games”, like puzzle style adventure games – Puzzle Agent, Big Brain Wolf, Drawn series, many action adventure games, and countless Hidden Object games.

• Droniac says:

“Isn’t that exactly the same thing that happened with adventure games, though?”

No, not really. Adventure games actually declined in popularity and started selling fewer copies than they used to, while PC games sales are still growing year over year. Good adventure games like Grim Fandango sold far fewer copies than 1990s-era adventure games. There were probably a variety of reasons as to why many PC gamers suddenly stopped playing adventure games. Some of those might include: the resurgence of the RPG genre, an increase in game piracy, the introduction of the action-adventure genre (Tomb Raider), or the fact that adventure games stagnated while games in all other genres became much more approachable and visually appealing. Even Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 4 were very much 1990s era adventure games with crazy puzzles, nonsensical solutions, and zero effort expended towards accessibility.

Also… if you think adventure games aren’t seeing a resurgence then you’re crazy. Now that modern developers are tackling the genre with solid user interfaces, up-to-date graphics, and approachable gameplay – not to mention indie developers with their trademark innovation – the genre has boomed. Just a quick peek at Steam’s or GamersGate’s adventure category could tell you that much.

• Nalano says:

Grim Fandango didn’t sell well? Shit, I might have to buy it a second time just to keep up appearances.

• LionsPhil says:

The common wisdom is that it did not; LucasArts’ own statement seems to contradict that, so I assume it at least broke even.

• LionsPhil says:

Also, I kind of question how many of these supposed genre-revitalising adventures have really scratched the itch once sated by a string of Sierra’s Quests and LucasArts’ full-production works. Machinarium was probably the closest, yet it was still a retrograde step in ways (many excusable from being the work of many fewer people on a much smaller budget releasing for a much lower price, some—like the lack of pathfinding, if memory serves—just poor).

• Nalano says:

I wouldn’t mind a dozen more Machinariums. Sure, technically it’s simple, but art direction-wise it’s magnificent. I’m still honestly surprised by Grim Fandango, because the characterization and art in that game was fantastic. We need more of that.

The latter day Sam & Max games, I dunno. I played the LucasArts original when it came out, and it was, to me, a lot better paced and more frenetic – something Sam & Max honestly need to be. The Telltale Sam & Max series seemed like it was telegraphing every single joke to the point where I couldn’t enjoy it.

7. yhalothar says:

Bonus points for C64 keyboard.

8. Kollega says:

Hm, the style they chose for this promotion sure is topical. They’re trying to make themselves out to be an underground resistance fighting against the totalitarian dominance of the consoles… not that it isn’t stylish, mind you. But i never understood that need for bringing “us versus them” mentality into play. Sure, consoles ARE closed platforms, but that dosen’t mean the console games themselves are worse – only the customer service is. Well, and the hardware is also worse once it ages, while PCs are constantly in flux. But the games themselves are not hindered by that, and are no worse than PC games if quality is comparable. I speak from experience here.

And you know what i just thought? PC gaming is not dead, but AAA-gaming might well be. Not financially, of course, but creatively. No-one is trying to innovate in the AAA FPS market anymore, since it’s far too expensive. And since games are not just a license to print money, but art and entertainment, i can bet that the public may well get tired of the same shooter conventions rehashed over and over and over again – sooner or later.

• PoulWrist says:

DICE are doing a pretty good job at attempting to innovate the AAA FPS gameplay. Destructible environments if they get to play a bigger part than they did in BC2, that’s a sackful of innovation right there.
      There’s always going to be whining about how that’s not this or that, fanboy hate, etc., but that doesn’t change the fact that having destructible environments that actually work is one of the biggest single innovations in mainstream FPS gaming since the first people played Doom over the Internet.
      So much so, that even with the relatively primitive version that is in BC2 I don’t really feel like playing any other FPS, for its multiplayer, since the gameplay impact of the destruction was so great and so much fun and adding so much extra depth, compared to the otherwise shallow experience that the console style FPS has taken it into since FPS became the big #1 on there.

• Kollega says:

Hm, right. If Battlefield 3 does actually have full-on destruction physics that can be used to gain an upper hand in combat, then it really is a sackful of innovation. I hereby retract my comment about the total lack of innovation… though it still seems less like the genre-redefining event and more like next evolutionary step the effect of which will not be all that profound. But maybe i am completely wrong. Maybe the FPSes of the future will indeed be all about either using cover and concealment to your advantage or denying them to your enemy by blowing them up. I can’t really make any predictions.

9. Rii says:

Mind you I’m under no illusions that consoles will remain free of account-bound games and always-online DRM bullshit. But they’re not there yet.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

• Tei says:

Good luck running mods in consoles. Your comment is double plusgood.

Freedom has a price, the console games can be easier to run*, but you have to live with all the shit the Microsoft or Sony dictator want. You have not options.

With the PC you have all the freedoom of the world. If you want you can download the games as tarballs and compile yourself. For FreeBSD.

*not true anymore. Running a steam game is a double click, with console games you have to search the DVD, maybe wait 2 hours until the game finish updating.

• PoulWrist says:

Yes they are :p both the Wii, the PS3, and the Xbox 360 have online game stores where you buy digital copies that are bound to your account, that you can never sell or loan to anyone else.

• Kollega says:

Good luck running mods with today’s PC games too. Most games aren’t designed to be mod-friendly (then again, it’s mostly because they are made primarily for consoles or with equal attention and thus little special treatment for either side).

I also have to note that the indie scene, which is regarded as a pretty big deal around these parts, usually does not contain overly restrictive DRM (unless they’re publishing through Steam), while indie game on consoles, as PoulWrist just noted, are usually downloadable and thus tied to your account. So in that regard, the PC is still free-er.

• Dawngreeter says:

You do know that console users have been banned from using their games, which they apparently own, over the Internet, right? Because a central authority has the ability to prevent you from using your console, which you apparently own.

• Magnetude says:

I had the unpleasant experience of finding that, because some games I’d paid for had been removed from the PSN store when they were replaced with new DLC-included versions (Super Stardust HD and Tekken 5), I could no longer redownload them after sending my PS3 away for repairs. I had to write to Sony to ask for the right to my games that I had paid money for (and were not available as physical copies).

It can happen to PC and console users, I know, I just can’t see Valve being so absent minded and careless as Sony have been about digital downloads.

Edit: I also don’t understand why the Xbox’s hateful MS Points system doesn’t attract more internet anger. At least PSN doesn’t make me buy its own money in quantities carefully chosen to make sure you always have some change sitting in your account that you can’t convert back.

• Nalano says:

You “own” console games exactly as much as you “own” PC games.

And the reason a lot fewer PC games have mod support is because they’re console ports.

• Kaira- says:

As it happens, I can sell pretty much every physical copy of my console games, and the buyer can play them, whereas on PC the trend of tying down physical copies to 3rd party accounts is growing, meaning no re-sale.

• Magnetude says:

Kaira: That’s only true for as long as physical copies remain the norm though. Unless the new IdTech and its blu-ray consuming megatextures becomes the new industry standard, digital is the way we’ll be buying games in 5 years.
      The console makers want it to happen just as much as the PC people, it just hasn’t happened as fast because of Microsoft’s short-sighted decision not to make a hard drive standard on all Xboxes for a long time, and the lower percentage of consoles connected to the internet compared to PCs.

• Kaira- says:

@Magnetude

Yeah, that is true. I’m keeping my fingers crossed, but it is pretty obvious that everyone but the customers want to cut second hand-sales. Shame, really.

• Nalano says:

They’re trying to maximize profits, Kaira. GameStop’s days are numbered, because they’re trying to kill the secondary market altogether; not just on the PC.

That said, UncleLou alluded to another salient point: That xbox has a shelf life. I can play games from 1989 on my current PC. Consoles do not have that capability. I can figure out how to run just about anything on my PC. Consoles do not have that capability. Hell, I can back up all my physical media because they, too, have shelf lives. Consoles do not – you get the idea.

• Magnetude says:

And that’s the most galling part of being a console owner, seeing all your games become unplayable every 5 years unless you want another box cluttering your TV area.

Take, for example, the Team Ico HD collection being released on PS3 soon (two of the best PS2 games, remade with better textures and a decent framerate). If I had a PS3 it would be an instant buy for me, as SoTC is my favourite game of all time. But if they’d been released on PC in the first place, I know that I could have been playing them with crisp textures and a decent framerate from the beginning, and I could be running the same game on a relatively budget PC today, with a HD texture pack some modder would undoubtedly have made and DX11 support.

Planned obsolescence, basically.

10. Skystrider says:

PC = Democracy.
    Consoles = Dictatorship.

I’ve always liked democracy myself. ;)

Not to say you can’t have fun on consoles (got a PS3 and a Wii myself), but I prefer the box I built.

• Cinek says:

Yep. Very nice comparison.

As far as Democracy sux – it’s the best what we have. Same thing with PCs.

• Nalano says:

It is a surprisingly robust comparison, especially in the DRM vs pirates debate.

Namely, democracy is nothing if not messy and at times ugly, but giving it up altogether is pretty much guaranteed a turn for the worse.

• MajorManiac says:

I’ve always thought:
      Consoles are like magazines – you can pick ‘em up and put ‘em down when you have a free moment.
      PC Games are like books – they usually involve a little more time and involvement.

Both are better than rabies. Does anyone else have a good analogy for the difference between consoles and pcs? Preferably not rude ones…. who am I kidding.

11. Moni says:

It’s going to be the release of the Mouse Bungee, which will single handedly save PC gaming.

12. ASBO says:

I will be lifting my own embargo long before then. Deus Ex 3: it’s a game, and you will enjoy it if you like games, gold colours and cyborgs. There is also a storyline and some technical issues. 8.5/10

• Magnetude says:

Battlefield 3: It’s a game, and you will enjoy it if you like games, air support and explosions. There is also a storyline and some technical issues. 8.5/10

• Lambchops says:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: It’s a game, you will enjoy it if you like games, spending lots of cash and shooting folks in the head. There is also a storyline and some technical issues. 8.5/10

• MadTinkerer says:

Half Life 3: It’s a game, you will enjoy it if you like games, finally getting vengeance on the damn space slugs who [SPOILER CENSORED], and physics puzzles. There is also a storyline and some technical issues. 8.5/10

• Magnetude says:

Saint’s Row 3: It’s a game, and you will enjoy it if you like games, pedestrian wrestling and human cannons. There is also a storyline and some technical issues. 8.5/10

(Is writing reviews really this easy? Have we discovered the formula?)

• Nalano says:

Far Cry 3: It’s a game, and you will enjoy it if you like games, mercenaries and palm trees. There is also a storyline and some technical issues. 8.5/10

(Holy crap, it IS this easy! Also, rule of 3s)

• Kollega says:

Mass Effect 3: it’s a game, and you will enjoy it if you like games, commanding squadmates from all walks of life, and saving all intellegent species in the galaxy from total obliteration. There is also a storyline and some technical issues. 8.5/10

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

VVVVVV: it’s a game, and you will enjoy it if you like games, spikes, and dying. There is also a storyline and some technical issues. 8.5/10

13. cheesetruncheon says:

Why do I feel like I just joined a cult?

• Lambchops says:

Oh dear, somebody didn’t read the terms of service, did they?

• Srethron says:

Indeed. I hope your belly is ready. We have a lot of eggs to lay this winter before we hibernate. Since you’re the new guy, try not to make a bad impression. Molt your skin as soon as possible or you will be late. You would not BELIEVE how many children showed up with half their skin still on last year. Kids these days… :(

14. oceanclub says:

Hmm, consider me intrigued, but the fact that the unit doesn’t appear to have that much horsepower means that the pricing will be all important. If they can match the price of the average handheld console these days, they might have a chance. More expensive, and people will reckon that they might as well aim for a fully-fledged mini laptop.

P.

15. jellydonut says:

Marketing sham to sell some new, ridiculous peripheral. Move along, nowt to see here.

16. Nihi says:

Why do they feel the need to prove PC gaming is not dead ?
    With all the great PC games (or PC superior versions like BF3) shown at Gamescom, it’s ridiculous…

17. Shark says:

That’s one hell of a weird keyboard on that site

18. UncleLou says:

“Consoles might be closed platforms, but for the moment at least when I buy a console game I actually own the fucking thing and can do with it as I like. The price of PC ‘freedom’, in contrast, is slavery.”

I am finding consoles a lot more restrictive than any PC DRM I’ve come across yet – not just the lack of mods and the like, I don’t like the whole concept of games being tied to a hardware generation. I still play Fallout 1 or 2 from time to time, but my PS2 games collection is nothing but paperweights. The same will be true for my PS3 games, I am sure. One day, my PS3 will break down, and it will be at a point in its cycle where replacing it isn’t worth it anymore. With backwards compatibility unlikely as ever, that means I see my console games more or less as “rented”, with an integrated time limit.

And that’s just boxed copies. I am finding it a lot more likely that I can still download Bastion from Steam in 5 years time than Limbo which I bought on PSN.

I am not directly contradicting you, mind, just seeing things from another angle.

19. evenflowjimbo says:

Ugh. Why must we say “PC Gaming isn’t dead” every day? The only thing dead about PC Gaming is the boxes they sell in stores. It’s all digital now!

20. omNOMinator says:

PC Gaming isn’t dead, it never was dead, nobody ever thought it was dead! How I see it is that people with less money and less technical ability buy a console, and quite rightly so, it’s a good deal. A PC with the capabilities of an Xbox 360 would cost double the price of an Xbox 360. Obviously PC goes above and beyond what an Xbox can do, but at a cost, some people don’t see it as worth the cost. I’m fine with that, I’m fine with consoles, I just prefer PC because I can! PC gaming was never dead! I never thought it was dead!

21. sneetch says:

Just saw this one:

“#PCGAMING is alive thanks to #valve not some shit overpriced keyboards”

I love it!

I bet this is just a run up to them announcing a gaming PC line.

22. otzenGulasch says:

Why didnt anybody mention that this is Captain Intense talking?
    There is only one man who can pronounce PC Gaming with this level of intensity.

23. Malcolm says:

Releasing the Switchblade perhaps?

24. Jimbo says:

“PC gaming hasn’t shown any significant decline in popularity – rather console gaming have become an enormous, mainstream phenomenon. So the efforts to defend PC gaming end up mostly serving to consolidate the myth that there was ever a problem in the first place.”

What’s that first bit based on? Maybe it hasn’t if you include MMOs, Facebook games, people playing without paying etc. If you think more traditional PC games (ie. anything else) are capable of selling as well now as they were ~10 years ago then I think you’re being very optimistic.

Even if we only say that PC gaming has declined proportionally, then that’s still proved more than enough to cause a ‘problem’. It’s been enough to leech away most of the best talent and bring PC-exclusive game development to a crawl. Nobody is out there making Crysis anymore, and PC gaming is cuffed to console development in a way it never was 5+ years ago.

’300 million PC gamers’ doesn’t really count for much if 10 million of them live exclusively on WoW and 288 million of the rest see no reason to pay for their games.

• Nalano says:

Hey. HEY. I’m pretty sure I’ve paid for a game.

• CMaster says:

“PC gaming is cuffed to console development in a way it never was 5+ years ago.”

Playstation3 gaming is more cuffed to XBOX360 development than PS2 and Xbox. It’s not like this only applies to PC really. iOS development is full of flash spin-offs. Etc.

25. mondomau says:

@ Malcom – Yeah, couple of people mentioned in here already. Link on reddit (probably here somewhere as well) :

26. phenom_x8 says:

Razerblade with AMD Fusion APU would be nice portable PC gaming device!

27. shoptroll says:

8/26 is opening day of PAX Prime. I think Razer usually has a presence there. So I’m guessing Switchblade makes its consumer debut at the show.

28. nyck says:

Maybe it’s a game, may be not. May have something to do with SwitchBlade

29. bhlaab says:

If I know anything about Razer and I DO, whatever this is it will be reasonably priced and not useless

30. D3xter says:

Eh, consoles being terribly closed-off platforms controlled by manufacturers, that have the power to decide what games are allowed to be released on them, with huge licensing fees and fees for their “services” that probably don’t cost them all that much and those manufacturers having the power of both removing features from your hardware or bricking it completely (and making use of that power frequently) is one of the main reasons why I don’t really want to get one. Them blowing wads of moneys and buying off developers for “exclusivity” even though there’s barely any hardware reason for a game to not be on any of the other platforms is just the icing on the cake.

It’s kind of the horriblest form of “DRM” you could imagine on the PC, short of cloud gaming.

31. Cryotek says:

I suspect they are releasing a console-like PC box.

32. fristys says:

If it’s the stinking Razer Swtichblade, that will not save PC gaming. The last thing we PC gamers need is an overpriced, overrated and unusable netbook. I can buy a better netbook for less they put on it as a price tag.

33. Duckpoop says:

A dedicated tray that will allow effortless Mouse and Keyboard play from a couch, bed, or recliner? And Beta/Demo codes with every Baconator puchase, courtesy of Razer?

34. hello_mr.Trout says:

“Performance troll art” is a great idea! can we get people working on this? (like in some kind of more accessible format – a gallery or video piece or something – it takes time to sort through forums to find the gold

Comment on this story