Another Corner Of The Sky: Gemini Wars

By Jim Rossignol on August 23rd, 2011 at 2:19 pm.

Cool, refreshing space. Mmm, like a glass of iced vacuum.
The Gemini Wars developer chap Bruno Cesteiro got in touch to let us know he’s done a new video of his space strategy game, that’s the 4X shootybang you see picture above by the way, and I’ve posted that below. The video explains a bit more about how the game will play, with Cesteiro explaining how the game will handle some of the traditional 4X elements, and also how the battles will play out. Worth a look, as this is an interesting project. (If you are interested by space strategy, a propensity for which the odds are good…)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Hensler says:

Crap, I’m an Ares. Guess I’ll have to wait for the expansions.

2. Daiv says:

Excitement gland activated. Commence salivation.

3. PatrickSwayze says:

Looks like they forgot to implement the Z axis.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Nonsense, there is no up or down in space!

• PatrickSwayze says:

Really? Wow, that must come as a relief for the ship designers. Think of all the money they’ll save on not having to armour plate the tops and bottoms of the ships…

• Hanban says:

More Homeworld, please. :(

• CJ says:

‘Sins of a Solar Empire’ gives me all my 3D goodness. Even if the Z axis isn’t advertised within the game (nor even maped to a key initially)!

• triple omega says:

Thank Horace for forgetful devs I say!

I tried to play Homeworld 2 some years back and failed miserably. I was constantly sending my troops to the wrong locations, either too far, too low or too high. Which isn’t really that surprising, as empty space has no reference points. Constantly having to fiddle with the camera every time I wanted to give an order made me give up real quick.

To this day I still don’t understand why people put up with this, let alone want it. If a third person RPG requires you to constantly battle with the camera to be able to control your character people will instantly complain about it, but when an RTS does it, it’s okay? I just want to give orders to my troops, not spend 4 times longer doing the same thing because I have to turn and move the camera twice to be able to see depth.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Looks like there aren’t any Ender’s on RPS

• Koozer says:

@triple:

You use the central plane as a reference in tactical view to judge heights. Pretty easy, unless you’re playing without pressing spacebar every 10 seconds, in which case you’re insane.

• MadMatty says:

I guess free movement in space, with realistic space physics, is just too much for a lot of people to handle.

To the applaud of many, but to the dismay of the few.

Even tho´ we´re Righter.

Couldn´t they just friggin play command and conquer and stop vulgarizing space!?

• Nesetalis says:

honestly the best way to implement a third axis (usually the Y axis btw) is to use splines for movement showing where you are heading at your current momentum +/- your current thrust..

and have the fleet treated as a single unit for most movement, with top speed at the speed of the slowest ship, and turning at the rate of the worst maneuverable ship. At least, thats what were planning on our end…

we are also planning on scheduling thrust, and have the spline segmented by time, so you could select a time an hour from now down the spline to apply thrust on a new vector and change its eventual direction.. as well as modification from gravity wells and dust/solar wind if the ship is large enough for that to matter.

4. moarage says:

I like the ship designs! I really hated the colored ships in sins and sots

• Nallen says:

If you want to see stupid space ship colours have a look at the Deimos from EVE. It has a jungle camo paint job. You know, for hiding in the space bushes.

• moarage says:

lol yeah that’s why I played gallante in EVE

• Malibu Stacey says:

Considering the vast distances involved space battles would be fought using sensor data rather than visual imaging in which case what difference does it make how you paint the exterior of your ships? Why not paint them brilliant white with blinking lights all over them or jungle camoflage or neon pink like one of the Gallente Interceptors in EVE (not the Taranis, the other one I never bothered flying).

5. Tei says:

The ship exploding animation could be better. It stop in his tracks, then explode like a rock. Is weird. It could be better if it “sinks” or just continue the same speed, but with explosions poping around the ship, and finnaly a big glare, and then these rocks, much smaller, flyiing everywhere (but are only visible wen the glade is fading out).

6. schnitzeljaeger says:

The screenshot reminds me of Freespace :(

7. Lemming says:

The word ‘cruisers’ should always be said with a German/Austrian accent.

I assume this is still well in development. The blue blobs on your ships seems distracting and unnecessary at that distance, and when your ships blow up doesn’t look great at all. However, if this reviews well I’ll probably pick this up as there is simply no other game on the market like it at the moment.

• godwin says:

Sins of a Solar Empire?

• Malibu Stacey says:

Star Ruler?
      Sword of the Stars (and its impending sequel)?
      Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords?
      Distant Worlds?
      Space Empires V?

Definitely “no other game on the market like it at the moment.”

• Nesetalis says:

indeed, i’ve never seen a game even remotely like it in my life ^.~

8. roethle says:

The problem with 4x games is that galciv2 exists. Anytime I get a new 4x I’m back to galciv in a week. If I want some nice big fleet battles I go to Sins of a Solar Empire.

9. gwathdring says:

It’s very pretty.

10. Maxheadroom says:

I’ve still to find a 4X game I’ve enjoyed as much as Imperium Galactica 2.

Imperium Galactica 3 was looking promising but then it turned into the decidedly average Nexus: The Jupiter Project after some studio change kerfuffle.

I so need to stop living in the past :(

• Malibu Stacey says:

Try Sword of the Stars next time the Ultimate pack is on sale or Galactic Civilizations 2 & Sins of a Solar Empire if Stardock ever discount them on ImpulseDriven.
      I bought Star Ruler on Steam a while ago in a sale but I’ve yet to give it a bash due to those 3 (and AI War) successfully scratching the 4X itch whenever it pops up.

11. aerozol says:

Someone should make a Jetforce Gemini sequel.
    Edit: A good one.

12. Telperion says:

This wasn’t all that impressive to me. I keep comparing it to Sins of a Solar Empire, which is my favorite 4X Sci-fi game of all time. I’ll probably come back for a full review when the game is published, but I’m not holding my breath waiting for this thing.

13. Njordsk says:

I want homeworld 3.

• Kreeth says:

I would give several members of my extended family for Homeworld 3. TBH I’d consider an offer for a modern-day graphical overhaul of the original.

• Malibu Stacey says:

The graphics in Homeworld haven’t exactly aged badly & the interface is pretty good all things considered. I don’t see what a modern overhaul would quite bring that would enhance it.

• Nesetalis says:

MORE POLYS, MORE PIXELS! MORE SHADERS! :D

14. Ovno says:

Looking good, I especially like the zooming in and out of systems and planets.

15. Prime says:

While Gemini Wars does seem to technically fit into the category of ’4X’ I’m not sure it’s correct to call it as such, as those games generally tend to be more involved and complex than what is being shown here; we haven’t seen any diplomacy yet, for example. The developer and website both refer to it as an RTS, which places it in the same ballpark as my all-time favourite space-battle-em-up, Haegemonia: Legions of Iron.

It looks good but I can’t help wishing for more elegance in the effects, the ship explosions in particular. they look very ‘gamey’ at the moment, a bit ‘space invaders’. Those excellent backdrops are crying out for some decent model-death animations to go with them.