First Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer

By Adam Smith on August 23rd, 2011 at 5:25 pm.

EDIT: Ah, it’s from Gamespot.
There’s nothing official from SEGA, but it looks like this might be the new trailer for Gearbox’s Aliens: Colonial Marines, below. It has come skittering out of the darkness on YouTube, but there’s a good chance SEGA will set the flamethrowers on it if this is a leak.

Regarding the trailer itself, there’s plenty of frantic shooting and yelling but the edit builds up the tension and horror as well. It’s the first time I’ve seen enough of the game to shift from mild anticipation to fervent excitement. Some moments look scripted but they appear to be scares rather than action sequences. If the game can balance the gungho of Aliens with the dread of the first film, it should be a winner.

, , .

1. Spinoza says:

Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.

2. Teddy Leach says:

I am so glad this is still in development.

3. LuNatic says:

Colour me cautiously optimistic .

• Saldek says:

You’re what? You’re still collating? I find that hard to believe.

4. Strangeblades says:

“Eat this!”

AllAliensAndNoGameMakeStrangebladesSad
    AllAliensAndNoGameMakeStrangebladesSad
    AllAliensAndNoGameMakeStrangebladesSad
    AllAliensAndNoGameMakeStrangebladesSad
    AllAliensAndNoGameMakeStrangebladesSad

• TsunamiWombat says:

I believe what my deranged comrade ‘Strangeblade’ is attempting to communicate in his personal fashion is that a trailer should contain a certain quantity of actual gameplay footage dispersed amongst the crosscuts, fades, and scripted events. By ‘actual gameplay footage’ I mean of course, unscripted emergent gameplay, that one can tell took place when an individual took a controller or mouse in their god-given hands and proceeded to explore the parameters of the electronic universe put at their disposal.

Simply put, this ‘trailer’ is an impressive gem, a mood setting cinema piece that recalls both the falibility of human enterprise in the face of implacable nature, the dread one feels when faced with the unknown and uncertain, and the pride one experiances when witnessing the unyielding refusal man places towards his seemingly inevitable dissolution. Taken as pure cinema, it is in the parlance of my younger and less verbose peers, “Crackin’”

However I feel, by definition, a Trailer requires the hitherfore described elements of ‘gameplay footage’. Therefore this is not a game trailer, this is game cinema- an exceedingly well crafted one, but naught more than such machinema none the less. And though the march of time and the loosening of social morals may have eroded our social values to the point that such chicainery or misplaced titlism may be acceptable, by god I will not permit the tongue of Shakespeare and Dickens to be cheapened in such a slouch manner as if it was a street corner harlot for those that be to flutter about, ankles bared for all to see, abused and neglected to such an unrecognizable extent.

tl;dr, Purdy Vidya, now show me a demo guv

• Unaco says:

Look, this is an emotional moment for all of us, okay? I know that. But, let’s not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly – clearly an important trailer we’re dealing with and I don’t think that you or I, or anybody, has the right to arbitrarily criticise it.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Please do not mistake my self aggrandizing verbosity for a dismissive attitude, I am thoroughly enthusiastic for this project, both in concept and in proof of.

I would just really, really, really like to see a demo :(

• Unaco says:

This is so nuts. I mean, listen – listen to what you’re saying. It’s paranoid delusion. How – It’s really sad. It’s pathetic.

• Nalano says:

I love the both of you.

• Unaco says:

Looks like love at first sight to me. Oh, he likes you, TsunamiWombat.

• Bilbo says:

Hey, maybe you haven’t been keeping up on current events, but that trailer just got its ass kicked, pal!

• nrvsNRG says:

This just doesnt make any goddamn sense.

• WildeAnarchist says:

“Adiós, muchachos.”

• mejoff says:

This IP has a substantial dollar value attached to it

5. Moni says:

This trailer was linked to via Gamespot on Gearbox’s Twitter earlier, I don’t know if that counts as official because Twitter accounts aren’t always official.

6. Dana says:

Please dont Duke up this game !

LieutLaww says:

Yea but it’s a dry heat

8. db1331 says:

It looks good, but then again, so did the new AvP. The sound of that pulse rifle sure brings back some good memories. Methinks I might be firing up my Steam version of AvP classic this week.

9. Miodrag Kovachevic says:

The trailer makes me wonder whether you’ll actually be able to save NPCs or whether everyone is doomed to scripted deaths.

10. Vagrant says:

AvP2 is still what I hold as the best single player FPS campaign of all time (as far as the Marine is concerned). I’d like to see your modern day manshoots go 3 whole levels without anthing to fire a gun at, and the use of the motion tracker in that first hour was brilliant.

Standout memories: Running up the hill where the predator is blowing up vehicles around you, and fighting the predalien in the vents with just a pistol is still the most terrifying thing I’ve done in an FPS.

If only someone could capture that magic.

• db1331 says:

I remember playing the demo over a dozen times and absolutely loving it. I’m not really sure why I never got the game. I guess I had too much going on at the time.

• TsunamiWombat says:

I never played AVP2, only avp1, but clearly recall being unable to complete the marine levels at all for being absolutly -terrified-.

• Askeladd says:

Yeah the marine part in AVP2 was really good.

Sadly this looks more like a cockered up marine version of the new AVP then a better version of the old AVP. I’ll watch this with interest. Especially because of the promised COOP. If it plays like survival of AVP3 then….

I want to be frightened again.

• MrNice says:

……….Beep…………..Beep…………..Beep…………..
      Beep…….Beep…Beep..BEEP.BEEEEP Oh shit.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Aliens use of that rather magical an unscientific ‘motion tracker’ was a stroke of god-blasted brilliance, a simple two-tonal chirping rendered into an agent of unspeakable tension and fear.

• Askeladd says:

After watching that trailer I was thinking of making that the sound of my alarm clock when I wake up in the morning.

But that would be too exciting wouldn’t it?

• db1331 says:

@TsunamiWombat

I brought the game over to a friend’s house to let him play. He jumped so hard at literally the first alien in the Marine campaign that he banged his knee on the underside of his desk hard enough to make it bleed. He went and got a band-aid and never played it again.

• Vagrant says:

Other memorable moments:
      It’s amazing how much a hose looks like an alien head.
      Also: Oh good! It’s just a boot.

• PatrickSwayze says:

AvP 2 was pretty poor. My strongest memory of that game was that the aliens couldn’t crouch and follow you into vents. The AI was dreadful compared with Rebellion’s first effort.

• CareerKnight says:

I loved rebellions AvP for the multiplayer and monoliths AvP2 for its singleplayer, alien campaign was prob my favorite.

Most memorable moments from AvP- My brother as a marine with his back against a wall shooting off flares to light up the room, but he forgot to look directly above him as I creep down slowly and bite off his head.
      Second most memorable was me as a marine walking around with night vision on because my brother, playing as the alien this time, had destroyed all the lights. All of a sudden I hear a small explosion as I look up to see a flaming alien run by scream on the walkway above me. He accidentally destroyed a flamethrower :).
      Third most memorable, me as a marine again running for my life. I turn around briefly to fire a rocket behind me. I miss my target but as it hits the wall and explodes it clearly illuminates my brother as a clocked predator barreling up the hallway behind me.

11. Tretiak says:

SCRIPTS

12. Paul says:

I just hope there won’t be Alien overload. I would like it if there was smaller amount of aliens, but more meaningful…

Gearbox, don’t let this turn into Serious Sam. I implore you.

• Nalano says:

This. Whacking an alien with the butt of your gun and blasting it away as it looms menacingly over you is only awesome when you know that its blood is acid and it can kill you six ways from Sunday in less time than it takes to pull a trigger.

Or, in other words, it’s a whole lot more scary when your opponents are more than cannon fodder and you know it’s not a goddamn scripted event.

• DrGonzo says:

I agree, but it would need moments where you are faced with huge amounts of aliens and are completely overwhelmed, your only option should be to run.

• Askeladd says:

Like they did in the movies. They dont fight, they run. Run or Die.

13. Moonracer says:

My Dream is a Colonial Marines type game in which your team is dropped into randomly generated scenarios on Colony planets between freezes. Each drop would be somewhat of a mystery (“bug hunt”, civil war, attack by opposing corporation/pirates, experiment gone wrong, etc). Minimal information and situation at various possible stages upon arrival.

I think what the movie Aliens did well that games should try to duplicate more is put the player and characters in situations they aren’t prepared for.

Still, this looks good so far.

• Nalano says:

That would be interesting, but being that the game’s called Aliens and everybody knows what the franchise is, how would you do it? You could only delay the entry of the titular aliens. Hell, having half the game be putting down a rebellion and only THEN being dropped off on some xeno-filled planet would still be a delay tactic.

Even then, what would the best genre be? FPSs would be too linear for “randomly generated scenarios” during a campaign, RTSs don’t have the heart-pumping oh-my-god-it’s-gonna-kill-me vantage… you’d need, like, a game and then a game on top of that game. Like, an MMO persistent world so you can save your RPG ‘merc’ progression based on the missions you completed, but each mission is a co-op FPS that pulls random maps with random monsters and random objectives. And then have some of them be against other ‘merc’ groups, some that simply have NO conflict, or maybe a puzzle.

Hmm… you’d need a looooot of maps.

• godwin says:

Interstellar Marines, possibly?

• kevmscotland says:

I’d like to see ArmA 2, with aliens.

Imagine a whole landscape with a settlement, a drop ship coming in, landing, throwing out a apc, drives up to the door, deploys a bunch of marines………… well the rest u can imagine.

• Nalano says:

Nice sharkdogs. Needs more crapsack world, tho.

• PatrickSwayze says:

I’d like a mission where you have to rescue some juicy colonist’s daughters from their virginities.

14. Maxheadroom says:

I dunno, it looks like another generic man-shooter to me, just like the last 3 or 4 Aliens attempts.

But then I’m not sure what they could do differently to break the mold, the licence just lends it’s self to generic man shootery.

Unless of course they remake the C64 version, that would be pretty cool :)

Sinomatic says:

Frictional should get hold of the license.

No one would ever sleep again.

Daiv says:

@Sinomatic: That thought sent a shiver down my spine. An Alien game where horror takes the front seat? Count me in. I went into Amnesia thinking “how scary can it be? I’m over 30″, and half an hour later I had to turn the computer off and go stand somewhere well lit for a while. To think of that team working with a franchise that literally gave me sleepless nights as a too-young-to-have-watched-Alien boy…

15. theimpossibleman says:

We’re on an express elevator to hell; going down!

16. Tams80 says:

Why is he dressed as a Roman legionnaire? This not the sci-fi future I was promised!

17. Brise Bonbons says:

This seems to have a serious case of the Star Wars Prequels*; I mean, just because one enterprising person in the movie used a civilian forkliftmech to fight with, now this is just standard procedure?

Let the damn forkliftmech scene be special, dammit.

* I.e. just because Obi Wan wore a bathrobe and desert clothing, apparently in the prequels all the Jedi wear the same thing. Despite the fact that maybe Obi Wan might not want to dress exactly like a Jedi if he was in hiding. That sort of thing.

Maybe I’m just crotchety.

18. Hensler says:

This is a different game than the Alien game Creative Assembly are working on, ja?

• Sidorovich says:

You mean Obsidian’s canned RPG?

But I honestly don’t know which species is worse. You don’t see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.

19. Shortwave says:

As long as this one doesn’t get botched like the last AvP I’ll be happy.
    (Though I still enjoy the SP a lot mind you, just they totally ruined MP and ditched the game..)

With that out of the way, this is looking wonderful.
    No predators though yea? : (

20. Rii says:

So … nobody else noticed that Gearbox used ‘compliment’ instead of ‘complement’ there?

Game looks great mind.

21. MasterBeef says:

Hey, I sure wouldn’t mind getting some more of that Arcturian poontang!
    If the trailer is to be believed it seems they got the way the sound modulates on the pulse rifles done correctly. Nobody else has really done that.

deathcakes says:

Am I the only one disappointed by the misspelling of complement? Really took the fun out of the trailer…

23. Juxtapox says:

I WILL buy this… IF, they don’t have the clumpsy and sluggish controls as they had in the last AvP. It was horrible. Please, make a better port for PC and this will end up being pre-ordered.

24. GameOverMan says:

Let’s (Hadley’s) hope that this game will be a stand-up fight and not another (software) bug hunt.