PES 2012: This Year, Feet Meet Balls

By Adam Smith on August 23rd, 2011 at 11:35 am.

A wistful foot-to-ballsman, yesterday

Like a whisper on the breeze or a particularly quiet spectre, the foot-to-ball season has begun once more. Of course, the quiet clamour of millionaires hoofing calfpelts is often drowned out by more mundane matters such as collapsing regimes and a crumbling global economy. That’s a joke of course. The global economy has crumbled. It is constituted entirely of crumbs. But, to return to the point at hand, the silly season is upon us and not enough people are repeatedly telling you that. Konami shall be honouring this glorious occasion with the release of PES 2012. There will be demos available very soon. That’s right. Demos. Plural. Excited? Read on!

OK, so it’s two demos. The least amount of plural you can get. The first will be available tomorrow and is based on a preview build. Konami promise that the second demo, which is due mid-September, will reflect the final version’s feel and gameplay. One is tempted to suspect it will feel like engaging in a leisurely pursuit while firmly entrenched in a chair of your own choice. Whether you approve of this is entirely up to you.

So, what’s new? Some sportspersons have moved from one place to another. Konami will no doubt move them to those exact places in the game as well. There is also the promise of realistic ‘Active AI’. Presumably, this means balls will be more effectively shuttled around the court of play. There’s also a new ‘Teammate Control’ mechanism. That may be because the ‘Active AI’ is not quite good enough to control the team by itself. The demo shall no doubt reveal all. Although maybe not the first demo, which is unfinished and thus possibly flawed, but definitely the second one. Apparently.

Is anybody thrilled about this? Can PES regain the foot-to-ball crown from FIFA? And, more importantly, will Konami have programmed Rooney’s new hair correctly? The entire situation is heavy with import.

, , , , , .

1. luckystriker says:

This series is, and always will remain, a PS3 couch potato game to me. Let’s hope they’ve improved on the efforts of the last 2 years, however.

• AlonePlusEasyTarget says:

The advantage of PC version is of course the ability to mod and customise the game. You can add more leagues and put the kits, boots, fields even advertisement that are true-to life and all other licensed things. Plug your controller and CPU to your TV and bam! Best of both worlds.

• Mitchk says:

I think you can still download PES save files off the net and bung them on your console; I haven’t bought a PES since the PS2 days but a few pals of mine had it on 360 and I vaguely remember them having licensed kits and whatnot.

Either way I might just try it on PC if I decide to buy it, looking forward to trying the demo out. I’ve been a FIFA getter for a few years but this one has piqued my interest a bit!

• luckystriker says:

Mitchk is correct. Super easy to find custom content by dedicated modders in the form of option files to download.

2. nubbuka says:

I didn’t read the article but the title just hit the fancy button.

3. simonh says:

Staring eyes tag? Or maybe they’re not staring enough? I agree there’s been a bit of a staring eyes inflation lately, not worth as much as they used to be.

• Moni says:

I think they’re not quite staring enough, maybe a little maudlin though. There’s a slight hint that he’s regretting his life and maybe he should have become a doctor like his mother always wanted. Though, in a moment he’ll remember that he’s filthy rich.

• formivore says:

When I look at his head I keep seeing 2 heads pasted together. There’s some kind of weird lighting in his hair and chin and the left side of his face looks much broader than the right side. Its some kind of horrible optical illusion. Must stop looking.

• atticus says:

Must not, however, confuse this chap with famous foot-to-ball player Lionel Messi of Barcelona, famous from titles such as FIFA 2011.

This is Leonard Nesti, star of F.C. Catalania.

• banski83 says:

Staring dead eyes, no soul…

4. chackosan says:

The ‘Be A Legend’ mode was where they were clearly superior to FIFA’s counterpart, and considering that they’ve replaced it with the yet-to-be-explained ‘Football Life’, I’m interested to see what they’re doing with that. If it’s like a big-budget version of the downtime in the NSS series, that’d be pretty good.

Shame that the demo will only be showcasing instant play, but at least I’ll get to see if that’s improved since last year.

Edit: Hang on, turns out there’s a smidgen of info about Football Life after all:

5. Teddy Leach says:

*Gruff movie advert voice* “First, there was PES. Now, there is 2012 of it.”

• Adam Smith says:

“In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only foot-to-ball.”

• Premium User Badge Stijn says:

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a foot meeting a ball—forever.”

• Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

@ Adam

Own up, it was your answer to the “what do you think about foot-to-ball?” Question that got you the RPS writing gig wasn’t it?

• atticus says:

“In 2012, nobody’s safe… He’s angry, he’s fast, and he’s looking to score….”

And speaking of trailers:

6. DiamondDog says:

I can’t quite believe that finally, with the help of modern technology, developers can accurately simulate feet meeting balls.

We live in amazing times.

7. phenom_x8 says:

Active community with dozens of regular mod and community patches, isnt this more PC than any FIFA series or every other game?
    And next month, my local PES community will held open tournament sponsored by Biostar, AMD and ASUS. So why everyone hate it? Is there not enough proof that this is considered as PC Game (except for the must use gamepad of course)? I love this series very much more than FIFA!

8. Burning Man says:

This new Mr. Smith is rather silly. I approve.

9. thesonglessbird says:

Well worth purchasing a PS3 pad to play this with and using the motioninjoy drivers to emulate a 360 controller.

Also, the game is frikkin’ awesome. The AI really is something else.

10. undead dolphin hacker says:

Oh, you guys mean soccer.

• PoLLeNSKi says:

No we mean foot-to-ball or association football…ya know cuz it involves people kicking balls with their feet. The only people who call it soccer are those who live in a crazy land where ‘football’ is played with their hands – It’s a sport a little bit like rugby but made gentler with padding.

11. Kleppy says:

I still want to know if this years FIFA 12 for PC isnt going to be a neutered version of the console game. No carreer mode EA? really?

12. Stardog says:

The AI has been the worst part of PES for years now. FIFA is miles ahead in that regard. Your players in PES rarely make runs at the correct time, because it lacks the L1/LB functionality in FIFA where you can force them to run. I think “Teammate Control” is a step too far and it should just be a simple L1/LB press to make them run on their own.

• LaunchJC says:

Fairly certain PES had that first, I didn’t play the last one so maybe they removed it (?) but the PS2 era PES’ certainly had it.

13. mkflin says:

top game that i like to playing them very much,welcome to http://goo.gl/bE88E ,there have more nice top games ,why not visit?

14. AN_D_K says:

It will be interesting to see if it will be available to download on Steam for a change (there are alternative game portals /bbc) …it felt really odd putting a disc into my machine to play a game and annoying having to carry it back and forth to work to play at lunch.

15. Ross Angus says:

I came to the story for the foot-to-ball jokes. And I stayed, for the foot-to-ball jokes. Nice work, Smith. And threaders.