Serious Sam 3 Release Date, Pre-Orders Open

By John Walker on August 23rd, 2011 at 4:13 pm.

A typical view in SS3.

Croteam have revealed the release date for Serious Sam 3: BFE. It shall be with us on the 18th October, and you can pre-order it now soon on Steam, GetGames, and so on. Should you? Well, take a look at the new in-game trailer below to get an idea.

You can also read my preview of a chunk of three of the game’s levels, which proved excellent and extremely difficult fun. But here’s the splendid trailer, which awkwardly seems to have my name in it:

They’re selling the pre-orders at 10% off the release price. And if you already own a copy of any previous Serious Sam game on Steam, you get a further 10% discount. Plus, um, you also get an exclusive Devolver Digital CFO Fork Parker avatar for multiplayer gaming. If you don’t know what that means, take a glance at his Twitter feed when your boss/mum/partner isn’t looking.

Because everyone wants to be Fork Parker.

Their press release adds,

“Serious Sam 3: BFE will launch at a seriously awesome price so you can punk your friends that pay $60 for a FPS where you duck behind walls half the time.”

I’m not going to include Fork Parker’s comments, because they’re too rude.

, , , , , , .

1. Teddy Leach says:

Please include his comments.

• Burning Man says:

His comments are the best part of all their press releases. Why would you NOT include them??

• lessthandan says:

So… where can I even find the full press release? The article doesn’t link to it and RPS doesn’t even want to include Fork Parker’s comments, which is usually the best part of any SS3-related news.

• Dao Jones says:

I found it at http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/23/serious-sam-3-bfe-headlessly-heads-to-pc-on-oct-18/

“I pledge to take one dollar from each Serious Sam 3: BFE preorder and put it towards my wife’s outrageously expensive tit job,” said Fork Parker, Devolver Digital CFO. “So get to preordering nerds, I want these babies to block out the sun when I’m done with them.”

2. Strangeblades says:

This is the greatest thing I have ever read. It blows away the speech I told my finance at the altar on our wedding day.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

You married your finance? You must really love money.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

In these dire times marrying for love is just not financially viable.

• hello_mr.Trout says:

just be careful not to invest heavily in the relationship!

3. Joe Maley says:

I picked up the two Serious Sam’s on steam during the summer sale. I got bored like 15 minutes into the first one and haven’t touched the second. Is there any reason that I would enjoy this one anymore than the last?

• Robin says:

No. You should look for other games.

• clippa says:

Aye, old school arcade shooters aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. Don’t worry about it :D

• zergrush says:

I think it’s worth giving it a try in a harder difficulty setting with a bunch of friends. If that doesn’t do it, the game’s not really for you.

4. ResonanceCascade says:

This fall game season has exceeded maximum wallet capacity.

• KauhuK says:

Sadly, yes. It will be tough to decide which games to get.

• Jnx says:

EVERYTHING!1 Just put 200 euros on preorders. Before that I already had preordered RO2 and Stronghold 3.

• ResonanceCascade says:

‘Everything’ sounds nice. I’ll just stop eating breakfast for a few months, that should cover the cost.

tikey says:

Is it wrong that I’m genuinely interested in the Fork Parker model for multiplayer?

6. Matt says:

What kind of naff character model is that? Fork Parker is balding, not bald… and he rocks a bitchin’ mustache!

7. DSR says:

Too close to Battlefield 3 for comfort… Way to close…

Sorry, Sam, no hard feelings, but you’ll have to wait.

abhishek says:

So what’s the price again?

9. ChromeBallz says:

Deus Ex 3. Rage. Serious Sam 3. Battlefield 3. Skyrim. Saint’s Row 3.

Lots of 3′s, but all worth it and 5 of those are pretty much within a month of one another. This might be a good year for gaming after all :>

Not a good year for my wallet though as ResonanceCascade mentions.

• zergrush says:

The fact that I won’t have time to play even one of those until next year is saving me quite a lot of money, tho.

10. Robin says:

October/November are so packed with big releases, like Skyrim or Battlefield3, I hope SSam3 doesn’t end suffocated.

• Brise Bonbons says:

A valid concern. Personally I’m much less interested in the big-name releases than I am in games like this and Red Orchestra 2.

There is also the fact that many of the really big titles – such as DX3, Skyrim, and Rage – are single-player only, meaning I can happily wait to buy them during the Steam holiday sale for half off – if I decide to get them at all. Maybe next summer. Meanwhile I can pick up games like Space Marine or Serious Sam, and hopefully get to play some multiplayer before everyone returns to collecting hats. :P

• thepavementview says:

Bring on the indie games. I can honestly say that I’m way more excited about Serious Sam and Red Orchestra than the other shit coming out this year. Especially after the shit EA has pulled with Origin, (the account terms) and the lack of an in-game server browser for Battlefield. Devolver and Croteam are two of the only developers I have any respect for these days.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

“I hope SSam3 doesn’t end suffocated.”

I think the word you’re looking for is ‘overrun’. :)

11. Wezz6400 says:

October 18th is a tuesday, I reckon it’ll end up being friday the 21st in Europe.

Looking forward to it very much, that trailer put a huge grin on my face. Yiha!

As for the pricing, giving extra discount to loyal fans is a great fan service in my book. These people know what it’s about and they’re willing to show it. I don’t do piracy, but I for one am happy to return the favour to them.

12. Donjo says:

Will it have a chainsaw?

• Robin says:

AFAIK sadly no, this time is the turn of the Sledgehammer (which looks fun though).

• LionsPhil says:

Now that we have ragdolls (man, does that show Serious Sam 1′s age), I assume the rationale may involve that a slegehammer can be more pleasingly physical than a chainsaw.

13. skyturnedred says:

What does the BFE stand for? Big Fuckin’ Encounter?

lasikbear says:

Best Friends Edition!

• jokomul says:

Now that I think about it, I honestly don’t know. My mind has always said “Before First Encounter” whenever I read it though.

shoptroll says:

Pretty sure it’s “Before First Encounter” since it’s technically a prequel to the original pair of games.

14. phosgene says:

Pretty sure it stands for Bum Fucked Egypt.

Edit: Reply fail. You get the idea though.

15. Inigo says:

WHAR DEMO?

Also I like how Croteam are slapping their hairy ballsacks across Cliffy B’s face and screaming “AHAHAHA LOOK WE TOOK YOUR BULLETSTORM WHIP THING FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU” and Cliffy is impotently balling his fists and shaking and glaring at them with a face like a smacked arse and making a high pitched keening noise in the back of his throat no really where is the demo

16. Xzi says:

Arkham City AND Serious Sam releasing on October 18th? It’s like Christmas come early. Well, it’s my birthday, so close enough.

17. Urthman says:

Hippy mode or no sale. ‘Cuz I’m a hippy.

18. aethereal says:

Thats the day after my birthday :O
    Damn you Croteam! I guess I’m gonna have to get myself a present with loots of bloody manshooty goodness

19. Muzman says:

Had to watch it twice because I was completely distracted by Jim Kelly running past at one point.

Yeah baby.

20. LionsPhil says:

This trailer mostly looks like Serious Sam 1, but with newer graphics, and some new toys.

We would like to apologise for the fault in the Angry Internet Men service. It would appear that there’s very little to grumble about at this time. Normal service will be resumed next time there is an update on the status of XCOM.

21. duncanthrax says:

I’m gonna preorder the shit out of this offer!

22. Shooop says:

That’s it, I’m convinced. Perordering this damn thing.

And holy shit, was that an energy leash near the end?

23. crooon says:

Aawww snap, John Walker, you just got blurb’D!