Serious Sam: Double D Is Gun Crazy

By Adam Smith on August 23rd, 2011 at 9:46 am.

There is a rational explanation for this

Not too long ago, John brought you words and pictures in an attempt to describe the madness of Serious Sam: Double D. Now, Mommy’s Best Games have sent an ambassador forth to describe things in his own words. And he has some footage for us all. It’s trailer time and I’d highly recommend having some tranquilisers on hand for when this one’s done.

Phew. It’s as if someone looked at the footage and thought it might seem somehow staid and, dare I say it, serious. So they threw in a wonderful, shouty madman to punctuate the images of cannon-chested-dinosaur-birds, flying-monkeys-with-axes-for-hands and baked-bean-men-on-pogo-sticks. I believe the flying-monkeys-with-axes-for-hands may actually be apes. And/or cyborgs.

I may not be able to explain those enemies but I do feel I have learned something about Sam himself. This is a man who doesn’t need a penthouse or a casino with a statue of himself slapbang in the middle of it. He doesn’t need hordes of fans to tell him how great he is and he certainly doesn’t feel the need to carry bits of poo around. He just needs guns. Lots and lots of them. And chainsaws. He’d also be happy if those guns stacked on top of one another in an improbable but altogether necessary fashion. And therefore that’s exactly what he gets.

The sheer insanity of it all really is quite appealing, and it can be yours August 30th from “digital PC game services like Steam and Get Games”. Haven’t seen an official price in Blighty Pounds yet but eight American dollars should translate into something eminently affordable.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Anaardvark says:

I was just thinking, what a great iPhone game this looks. Probably the first Serious Sam game that’s interested me since 1&2, then I realized it was a PC game. Oops.

2. Inigo says:

I miss the House of Sam trailers.

3. Kreeth says:

Hilarious. Not that I can play this kind of game any more, my reactions are shot to pieces, but I like that it exists.

Wouldn’t something like this make a lot of sense for Android/iOS etc? Could be done fairly easily I’d have thought, and I’d be more likely to buy it. I have so little sit-in-front-of-PC gaming time these days I only really concentrate on the great big ones (still to finish Witcher 2, have got at least 4 or 5 big games I really want to play, and DXHR’s out this week. Not to forget the looming Death Of All Human Contact that is Skyrim).

Still, lovely trailer. There’s something about that ridiculous southern accent I really like – Scooter in Borderlands was another fantastic one.

• Malk_Content says:

I think sadly that the level of control this will require is far beyond what touch screens can offer and even then I get the feeling that if you ever can’t see the whole screen, you’ll end up dead so thumbs are kind of a no go. Shame because I agree that this would make an excellent on the go game.

4. thepaleking says:

So is this the game where you can talk to the monsters and resolve conflicts peaceably.

5. Mad Hamish says:

Ted Nugent has convinced me, this looks like my type of game. Looks like a *ahem* spiritual successor to Contra. I better have to learn off enemy patterns and have limited continues. I’m serious, that would really enhance my enjoyment of the game.

• Inigo says:

Does that mean the European version’s going to have robots instead?

• Dominic White says:

Contra already has a spiritual successor – Hard Corps Uprising on the PS3/360 is a new Contra game (minus the title, but with the Contra theme in there) by the Guilty Gear/Blazblue guys.

It has a pretty rad intro.

• Mad Hamish says:

bah intro schmintro. The game looks great though. I can’t get enough of Contra type games. To be honest they’re better served on consoles, much easier to pick up another controller and have a two player bash. Now if only I didn’t have to buy stupid Microsoft points to buy it. Why can’t they just use real money.

6. Carra says:

Reminds me of a flash game that was on here recently where you could stack tons of guns. It was a manshooter-with-lotsaguns.

7. Icarus says:

1) What the sugary blueberry fuck did I just watch

2) YES

3) THIS GAME.

That is all.

8. Tunips says:

I don’t know who this Adam Smith is (googling avails naught (Unless…!)), but his writing style fits perfectly with RPS. More of this sort of thing, I say.

• Hodge says:

I believe he’s here to teach us the fundamentals of modern economics.

Oh, come on, it was just sitting there.

(with apologies to Mr Smith, who surely gets this all the time. Good to get it out of the way, I say!)

• Urthman says:

I don’t know who this Adam Smith is (googling avails naught

CHECK ENCARTA, BITCH!

9. shoptroll says:

Awesome. This is shaping up to be one hell of an Autumn gaming season.

10. mkflin says:

top game that i like to playing them very much,welcome to http://goo.gl/bE88E ,there have more nice top games ,why not visit?

11. Tannrar says: